The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

zinn's diner

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 10:09 AM (permalink)
has anybody ever eaten at Zinn's diner in pennsylvania", many years ago we would take the kids to this heavenly place,located near the Penn. Dutch communities, it had a huge likeness of a farmer out front(24'feet at least)......WHAT FOOD, WHAT PORTIONS<WHAT SERVICE!!!!!!
chicken to die for,pies,noodles,soups,etc,etc,etc.

Sundancer7

RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 10:16 AM (permalink)
    [url][/url][url]www.zinnsdiner.com[/url]

They have an interesting menu but one of their specials was pig's stomach. We ain't got that in Knoxville

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 10:32 AM (permalink)
      Zinn's is one of my favorite diners. I love the variety on the menu, the large portions, and the value for your money. I stop there every chance I get.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
        RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 10:43 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Sundancer7

They have an interesting menu but one of their specials was pig's stomach. We ain't got that in Knoxville

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN
        Paul, the roadfood connoisseur you are, you shouldn't frown at pig stomach. It's just a variation of sausage made w/ sausage and potatoes in a pig stomach (think of it as a sausage casing). By the way, Zinn's is great, but head south towards Lancaster to the Akron Diner in Akron or farther past Lancaster to Willow Valley for similar meals as Zinn's. Smorgasbord at Willow Valley is wonderful.

Sundancer7

RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 11:12 AM (permalink)
          I guess if they had called it a sausage, I would have understood, but being from Tennessee, we are a little behind and quite frankly, I thought it was what it sounded like and that was not very appetizing.

Thanks for the clarification.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 11:23 AM (permalink)
            Oneiron, the smorgasbord at Shady Maple in Blue Ball is even better than Willow Valley. Have you ever eaten there?
            quote:
            Originally posted by oneiron339

quote:

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN
            Paul, the roadfood connoisseur you are, you shouldn't frown at pig stomach. It's just a variation of sausage made w/ sausage and potatoes in a pig stomach (think of it as a sausage casing). By the way, Zinn's is great, but head south towards Lancaster to the Akron Diner in Akron or farther past Lancaster to Willow Valley for similar meals as Zinn's. Smorgasbord at Willow Valley is wonderful.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
              RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 11:50 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by CheeseWit

Oneiron, the smorgasbord at Shady Maple in Blue Ball is even better than Willow Valley. Have you ever eaten there?

Out of state guests over age 60 always love Shady Maple. Since they have remodeled and expanded, the food seems to be a lot more institutionalized, especially the desserts. And the gravy tastes canned now.

The Windmill family restaurant at the corner of Routes 10 & 23 still has good gravy.

tjw98

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 12:59 PM (permalink)
                Re: Pigs stomach
                Being a Tennessean "deported" to SouthCentral PA, I also realized that while southerners generally use every part of the pig from snout to tail..the PA Dutch found a use for the stomach.
                It is called "Hogmaw" (with slight local spelling variations) and is simply pigs stomach stuffed with sausage and potatos. Think of it as Amish Haggis!
                Incidentally, to steal a quote, my wife (from VA) and I(TN) have developed a theory that the Cuisine of SouthCentral PA was based on a dare!

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
                  RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 1:04 PM (permalink)
                  Gary, I've been there once...and need to go back. Open-face turkey covered in gravy, great mashed potatoes...and my favorite pie, chocolate cream!! Yummy!

Oneiron339

RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 1:50 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Yeah, I grew up a few miles from there, we used to stop in on our way to French Creek Park, and I agree, their quality has dropped somewhat. I've always been partial to Willow Valley since I grew up in Lancaster.

quote:
                    Originally posted by oneiron339

quote:

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                      RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 2:18 PM (permalink)
                      It looks like an interesting place, HOWEVER, there was not a grit one on the breakfast menu!

Sundancer7

RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 2:25 PM (permalink)
                        I think it is something about the Ohio River. Once you get north of it, I think people think of grits a poison.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
                          RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 3:11 PM (permalink)
                          Not poison, drywall mud. ;0)

Eric, Who Loves Grits But Married From North Of The Manson-Nixon Line

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 3:31 PM (permalink)
                            Hey Vibs...
                            Is there really a Charles Manson- Richard Nixon Line???
                            Or did you replace the Mason-Dixon Line with it? Are we talking about the line that forms the border between PA and Maryland? Everyone knows that Grits are only grown and proceesed south of that line !
                            Any SoCal Readers would know that the Manson-Nixon Line would run from the Sharon Tate Home in Hollywood Hills to Yucca Loma in Orange County !!!

Oneiron339

RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 4:04 PM (permalink)
                              Some history here (and this really gets away from the Zinn's Diner thread): While Mason and Dixon were surveying for the border between PA and MD, they got to arguing over the water jug and the dipper at break time. The boss got tired of the arguing and wanted them to get back to work so he said,"alright Mason here's a jar for you to drink from and Dixon, here's a cup. Now each of you have a drinking device, and oh, by the way each of you stay on either side of this here line so you'll stop arguing." That's how the Mason-Dixon line was established and how we got Mason Jars and Dixie Cups. True story. Al the Mayor was there.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 6:12 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by RubyRose

Out of state guests over age 60 always love Shady Maple. Since they have remodeled and expanded, the food seems to be a lot more institutionalized, especially the desserts. And the gravy tastes canned now.

Just realized how snippy this must have sounded. My apologies, Cheesewit. Shady Maple is still a very good smorgasboard. It's just that it used to be a place that a Roadfooder could enjoy discovering and now it's a bus trip destination for New jersey AARP groups. I really hate when that happens.

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                  RubyRose, I knew what you meant. It has become the new destination of choice for senior centers and senior groups. I haven't eaten there since it expanded and started catering to the bus groups. I still enjoy the fresh baked breads from the market next door.

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                                    RE: zinn's diner Wed, 07/9/03 11:55 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

Not poison, drywall mud. ;0)

Eric, Who Loves Grits But Married From North Of The Manson-Nixon Line

Dry Wall Mudd with Butter and Heavy on the Pepper
                                    That's Funny

jgleduc

• Total Posts: 145
                                      RE: zinn's diner Thu, 07/10/03 12:18 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Think of it as Amish Haggis!

I'm sorry, I can't resist - Groundskeeper Willy, from the Simpsons:

"Get your haggis right here! Chopped heart and lungs! Boiled in a wee sheep's stomach! Tastes as good as it sounds! Good for what ails ya!"

JL

elcoraidercheer

• Total Posts: 21
                                        RE: zinn's diner Fri, 07/11/03 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

I think it is something about the Ohio River. Once you get north of it, I think people think of grits a poison.

Paul E. Smith
                                        Knoxville, TN

They definitely have grits at Shady Maple. I was just there two weeks ago for breakfast. That place is huge and they have great food.
                                        I'm not sure about Zinn's though. My grandmother worked their 5 years ago, until they got new owners, and at that time they did have grits. However I have not been to Zinn's in years, so I'm not sure if they still have them.

Craig328

• Total Posts: 89
                                          RE: zinn's diner Fri, 07/11/03 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                          Boy this brings back memories. Right out of college my first job was in Ephrata, PA. Zinn's Diner was a mainstay back in the late-eighties. Best Scrapple I ever had. Can't forget shopping at the Green Dragon Farmers Market followed by a quick bite at Zinn's. Good wholesome food, not authentic Amish but good enough to satisfy any appetite. Miss living in Lancaster PA County .. been in Florida too long.

Craig328

RE: zinn's diner Fri, 07/11/03 10:12 PM (permalink)
                                            HOLY COW! .. Posted on Zinn's Website...

After 53 years, Zinn's Diner is closing August 17, 2003.

Stop by and say goodbye to Amos! We thank our many loyal customers and the thousands of travellers who took exit 21 off the turnpike for a hearty meal at Zinn's.
                                            Save 25% at the gift shop as we close out our inventory.

End of an era!

www.zinnsdiner.com

elcoraidercheer

• Total Posts: 21
                                              RE: zinn's diner Sat, 07/12/03 8:13 AM (permalink)
                                              I can't believe it!!!! I woke up this morning and saw on the news that Zinn's has been sold again. Not only that, but the new owners are getting rid of Amos

Craig328

RE: zinn's diner Sat, 07/12/03 12:30 PM (permalink)
                                                Hey elcoraidercheer I used to live in Ephrata and knew Chris Zinn back in the late eighties. Who purchased the diner? .. I can't believe they're closing during the busiest time of year. As a former restaurateur it makes no sense. If you have any links to local news it would be appreciated.

Craig328

• Location: Palm Beach, FL, FL
                                                  RE: zinn's diner Sat, 07/12/03 12:38 PM (permalink)

kangolpimp

• Total Posts: 119
                                                    RE: zinn's diner Sat, 07/12/03 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

The same folks who disparage grits will fall all over themselves to praise the yellow version when served with a mushroom sauce, provided you call it polenta.

kangolpimp

• Total Posts: 119
                                                      RE: zinn's diner Sat, 07/12/03 3:49 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by kangolpimp
                                                      The same folks who disparage grits will fall all over themselves to praise the yellow version when served with a mushroom sauce, provided you call it polenta.

Some in the anti grits camp are really just anti grits for breakfast, which they regard as lowbrow cuisine. If you present them the same grits as a bed for shrimp and call it "low country cuisine" and serve it to them in an upscale setting, they can abide it that way.

Myself? I will choose hashbrowns over grits if I have that choice, but if I don't, I adopt a "when in Rome" attitude and go with the buttery flow.

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
                                                        RE: zinn's diner Thu, 07/17/03 2:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        although Zinns is worth visiting for the kitschy giant Amish statute far better Pennsylvania Dutch food is found about 10 miles further south on route 272 at the Akron Restaurant (reviewed by the Sterns onthis website)

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
                                                          • Location: bangor, PA
                                                          RE: zinn's diner Thu, 07/17/03 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                                          according to the link posted by Craig 328 Zinns has been purchased by the owner of the Lyndon Diner . Expect a renovation featuring lots of chrome, mirrors and faux marble.

CheeseWit

• Location: West Chester, PA
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: zinn's diner Thu, 07/17/03 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                                            I love diners, and Zinn's was a classic. The Akron Restaurant is VERY good and I do enjoy their food more than Zinn's.
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by brookquarry

although Zinns is worth visiting for the kitschy giant Amish statute far better Pennsylvania Dutch food is found about 10 miles further south on route 272 at the Akron Restaurant (reviewed by the Sterns onthis website)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com