Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pittsburgh fish sandwiches

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 131
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 1:30 PM (permalink)
By the way, with that order -- the hotdogs, lobster rolls, fries, fried clams, raw clams and a drink -- I'd always get change back from a five dollar bill.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 1:54 PM (permalink)
    Sheesch, You rich kids (Billy & Michael) really get my goat !!   I didn't see a five dollar bill that could be used for MY food (other than Prom Nite) 'til I left home for my Army service, AND THEN a Private was paid a gross wage of $78 a month in the military of 1960. Needless to say not much of that $78 went into $5.00 meals !!

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
      RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 2:03 PM (permalink)
      Al, you have to know the right people, just tell them Michael and Billy sent you, then send the bill to Michael....................Billyb

Michael Hoffman

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 2:14 PM (permalink)
        mayor al

Sheesch, You rich kids (Billy & Michael) really get my goat !!   I didn't see a five dollar bill that could be used for MY food (other than Prom Nite) 'til I left home for my Army service, AND THEN a Private was paid a gross wage of $78 a month in the military of 1960. Needless to say not much of that $78 went into $5.00 meals !!

Al, I was working almost (and sometimes more than) 40 hours a week from the time I was 13. Before that I shined shoes, sold newspapers, and parked cars and sold programs and souveniers (for Yale football games), and shoveled snow during the winter. I had money. By the way, $78 a month would have been a lot of money when I was an Airman (the equivalent then of Army private). My pay, before deductions, was $75 monthly. Of course they conned me into having a bond deducted, and contributions to various things such as the Red Cross were "mandatory." I was lucky to see $50 in actual cash each month.

MiamiDon

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 3:20 PM (permalink)
          mayor al

Not to mention that the minimum wage was $1 per hour in 1960!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 4:26 PM (permalink)

Don,
             It jumped to $1.25 just as I got out of the service in 1963. I took a job cooking for Howard Johnsons on Rt 95 in Mass at that time. One of the good things I can link to that wage was that the AYCE Fish Fry at HoHo's was 99 Cents on Wed. Nights. We used Flounder Filets battered in the store (not comissary issue). That was a real bargain meal, even at that era's cost of living!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 03/21/11 3:38 PM (permalink)
              wanderingjew

While living in Pittburgh, Wholey's was definetely my favorite.
              My coworkers and I would go to the Oasis in Heidelburg during Lent and get their Fried Fish with Mac n Cheese- Delish!
              Great news Pittsburgh fish sandwich fans!  The Oasis is back open, only now it is now known as Little Oasis.  I am hearing raves about their fish and hope to get there real soon. 

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Wed, 04/6/11 10:34 AM (permalink)
                I have touted the Union Grill for their excellent Turkey Devonshires, but have never tried their fish sandwich.  Apparently, they do a nice job of that, too.

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                  RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 04/11/11 1:02 PM (permalink)
                  Help! All I can think of is "Filet O' Fish!" I know it's got to be better than that. Maybe I need to go to Pittsburgh for enlightenment!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 04/11/11 5:13 PM (permalink)
                    Instead of a rectangular piece of "fish" about the size of a deck of cards, cut to fit a squishy flavorless bun, imagine the size and shape of an actual fish filet as if it were being cut by an experienced fishmonger; big enough to extend out the sides of a big, light--but sturdy--bun with good egg yolky color and a slight sweetness that compliments the flavor of the fish itself. Also, instead of a miniscule little sandwich that can be eaten in four bites, the Pittsburgh fish sandwich must be held with two hands.

That's the difference between a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish and a Pittsburgh Fish Sandwich.

The only gripe I have with the PFS is that not enough places make their own tartar sauce.  But I guess when you live in a "Heinz" town you can expect to get those little packets most places you go.

Buddy

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                      RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 04/11/11 5:36 PM (permalink)
                      BuddyRoadhouse

Instead of a rectangular piece of "fish" about the size of a deck of cards, cut to fit a squishy flavorless bun, imagine the size and shape of an actual fish filet as if it were being cut by an experienced fishmonger; big enough to extend out the sides of a big, light--but sturdy--bun with good egg yolky color and a slight sweetness that compliments the flavor of the fish itself. Also, instead of a miniscule little sandwich that can be eaten in four bites, the Pittsburgh fish sandwich must be held with two hands.

That's the difference between a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish and a Pittsburgh Fish Sandwich.

The only gripe I have with the PFS is that not enough places make their own tartar sauce.  But I guess when you live in a "Heinz" town you can expect to get those little packets most places you go.

Buddy

Thanks for setting me straight, Buddy. That actually really helps. I've always meant to go to Pittsburgh and this is another reason to get over there. I have to find a weekend when the Cubs play the Pirates and just jump in my Mustang and drive there.

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Tue, 04/12/11 2:43 AM (permalink)
                        Give yourself a solid 9-10 hours for the drive and make sure you have your I-Pass in the window.  It'll come in handy for the Indiana Toll Road, and the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpikes.

Lot's of other good eats in Pittsburgh.  Tessaro's for burgers, Wholey's for fish (not just the white fish sandwich), Primanti's for sandwiches stacked with slaw and fries (not my favorite, but worth trying once), Fat Head's Saloon for "Headwiches", and plenty of other stuff.  Do a search and read almost anything by buffetbuster or Ralph Melton regarding Pittsburgh.  There's also a Pittsburgh index over at LTHForum that's worth checking out.

Buddy

Ralph Melton

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Tue, 04/12/11 1:14 PM (permalink)
                          To complement Buddy's delightful description, I can add a picture.
                          This came from a Lenten fish fry at Holy Angels church, but it's fairly representative of a typical fish sandwich in the area. 
                          Fish Sandwich at Holy Angels by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

To underscore what Buddy said about quantity: there are four big pieces of fish in this sandwich. We bought an extra bun, split the sandwich into two, and both left feeling full.

gregys

• Total Posts: 126
                            RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 05/13/11 8:07 PM (permalink)
                            I always heard about Doridos, and pretty close. So I go there with my vision of a funky picnic like bar, and I was disappointed at the nice clean look !!!

I like the fish at the Blue Flame too.

Greg

gregys

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 05/13/11 8:07 PM (permalink)
                              I always heard about Doridos, and pretty close. So I go there with my vision of a funky picnic like bar, and I was disappointed at the nice clean look !!!

Might be going to Roy's by the tracks in Finleyville tonight for some entertainment and probably a take out fish.

They had this large cup of great Cole slaw, but the last time the cup was smaller!. Real thick slaw.

I would say the combination slaw, fries and fish, beat Doridos. And a little bit funky!!!

I have yet to eat fish at the Interchange Lounge, but if it's anything like their pizza, should be good.

I once had fish at Holy Angles and was good. They made a point about changing the oil after so many fish.

Greg
                              <message edited by gregys on Fri, 05/13/11 8:19 PM>

eruby

• Total Posts: 587
                                • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Tue, 05/17/11 12:15 PM (permalink)
                                gregys

Might be going to Roy's by the tracks in Finleyville tonight for some entertainment and probably a take out fish.

They had this large cup of great Cole slaw, but the last time the cup was smaller!. Real thick slaw.

I would say the combination slaw, fries and fish, beat Doridos. And a little bit funky!!!

I have yet to eat fish at the Interchange Lounge, but if it's anything like their pizza, should be good.

I once had fish at Holy Angles and was good. They made a point about changing the oil after so many fish.

Greg
                                Is the Blue Flame the one on Rt 51 in/near West Mifflin?  I've passed that place a bunch of times but never gave it a second thought.

We ate at the Interchange last year and it was okay.  Service was slow, but there was a steady stream of customers, and bar sold a lot of the pizza, which did look good.  I had the fish sandwich, but by the time it arrived, we had filled up on comped appetizer  that was  kind of greasy, so I ate the fish but left the bun. Seemed like a very 'locals' kind of place.

gregys

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 05/26/11 8:10 PM (permalink)
                                  eruby

gregys

Greg
                                  Is the Blue Flame the one on Rt 51 in/near West Mifflin?  I've passed that place a bunch of times but never gave it a second thought.

We ate at the Interchange last year and it was okay.  Service was slow, but there was a steady stream of customers, and bar sold a lot of the pizza, which did look good.  I had the fish sandwich, but by the time it arrived, we had filled up on comped appetizer  that was  kind of greasy, so I ate the fish but left the bun. Seemed like a very 'locals' kind of place.

Yes the Blue Flame has been there since the 60's. I love the food. The decor is aged. It has strange hours.
                                  Thickest bacon i ever ate. Breakfest great, dinners home like.
                                  The Eliot's BBQ always advertises fish, but never had any, in the same area. They also have similar to my favorite BBQ sauce, but meat so so.
                                  greg

gregys

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sun, 06/5/11 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                    I think Dukes in Homestead is pretty good. Hot Metal Diner was rated excellent by the Tribune. They also rated the Interchange. I have not yet been in the HMD.

Greg

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
                                      Re:Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Wed, 06/8/11 9:57 AM (permalink)
                                      When I was a teen it was a huge family treat to drive down to the Enon Valley Inn and have their HUGE, wonderful fish sandwiches.  I checked on the net and found them still in business - quite a feat given the generally depressed economy of the Beaver Valley.  The revies were good except one which is so funny I have to share:

"What is that smell?"
                                      "When you leave this place there is a smell of old grease and urinal pucks that clings to your clothes, Among the locals hanging around, the worst is a crusty old man with greasy hair that always wears the same plaid shirt. He is always there. This guy eating is disgusting. Skanks hover around him. If you have the misfortune to be in this area, RUN, don't walk past this dump. The area code is ee-ii-ee-ii-oh. Hope you have a full tank of gas to get away from here".

I think it would be worth a trip to find out why the "skanks" are hovering!

Further, if this guy ran with the stink of "old grease and urinal pucks" clinging to his clothes, I find it odd that he somehow knows that the old guy "... is always there ...  and always wears the plaid shirt"!  Sounds to me that the old guy has more stalking him than just the "skanks"! 

As the site this "review" was posted on has 100% "likes" I assume the reviewer enjoyed his fish sandwich but didn't much like the ambiance.  Perhaps that explains all the "always's"!
                                      <message edited by MetroplexJim on Fri, 08/5/11 11:04 AM>

rozshreon

• Total Posts: 2
                                        RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 08/6/11 9:03 AM (permalink)
                                        Fish sandwich is one of my favorite dish. Its very neutricious food. Just last week also in party I ordered fish sandwiches. Its pics are there in my LiveLike.it account. You can check them out and party of superb.

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 08/6/11 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                          Man, you Texans sure got a unique way of talkin'.

Buddy

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 07/13/12 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                            This past Tuesday, I met Michael Hoffman and lleechef for dinner at a new place for all of us.  It is called the Back Door Tavern in the small town of Fallston in Beaver County.  This would be about 30 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.

Anyway, both Michael and Lisa ordered the fish (I got a good hot sausage sandwich, but nothing special) and they were kind enough to share.  This may be heresy, but I think it was the best fish sandwich I have ever had.  Yes, even better than Wholey's, which I didn't think was possible.  After hearing my description, my brother, his wife and daughter went there last night and my brother agrees it was the best he has ever had.

Next week, I will drive back over and get some photos. Can't wait!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 07/13/12 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                              My fish sandwich at the Backdoor Tavern was not only great, it was the biggest I've ever seen. leechef and I had been told that the sandwiches there are huge, but I wasn't prepared for anything that size. I can't wait to go back. Oh, and they have two pages of beer offerings, including Smithwicks, although on this visit I just had a Sam Adams Boston Ale.

My only complaint is that they won't cook a burger less done than medium well.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 07/13/12 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                                danimal15

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Thanks for setting me straight, Buddy. That actually really helps. I've always meant to go to Pittsburgh and this is another reason to get over there. I have to find a weekend when the Cubs play the Pirates and just jump in my Mustang and drive there.

Make the trip. lleechef and I went to PNC Park last Sunday to watch her Pirates destroy my Giants, and I have to agree with those who rate PNC Park as one of the five best ballparks in the nation. It's a fantastic place. It reminds me of all the old ballparks I used to love.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9587
                                                  RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 07/13/12 4:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  Michael & BB,
                                                  What was it about this Fish Sandwich that made it special besides the size of it? That's high praise coming from youze 2 conno-sewers!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 07/13/12 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                                    The batter is thinner than Wholey's, and the cod was just better (more fresh?) and thicker than the cod at Wholey's.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                                      RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 07/13/12 5:50 PM (permalink)
                                                      The fish sandwich was to die for.  I'm not a big bread eater so at Wholey's I usually push the bread aside and just eat the fish and finish it.  At The Back Door I did the same thing but could only plow through 1/2 of the portion of fish.  It was indeed delicious, fresh, hot, with a very light batter.  The Back Door's fish sandwich has to be one of the best in the Pittsburgh area.  

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 11/16/13 4:18 PM (permalink)
                                                        The previously mentioned fish sandwich

from Back Door Tavern in Fallston, Beaver County.  This is clearly the biggest and best fish sandwich I have ever had in the Pittsburgh area.  Just to be clear, this is the large, but even the small fish sandwich is more than I could handle.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 11/16/13 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                                          Groan.  You're killin me.  I have never seen the large!  I can barely finish the small.  Truly a beautiful, delicious fish sandwich!! 
                                                          I love the ratio of fish to bun.
                                                          <message edited by lleechef on Sat, 11/16/13 4:33 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 11/16/13 4:48 PM (permalink)
                                                            C'mon BB That's just not fair. I'm here in Filet O Fish land and you post that? Boy, some pal you turned out to be.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 131

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com