The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Kay's Ice Cream

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
Kay's Ice Cream Sat, 01/20/07 11:48 AM (permalink)
Does anyone know if there are in Kay's Ice Cream shops still open. The one in my hometown, Sparta, TN, was my favorite place to eat when I was a little boy. Good ice cream, good burgers, good fries, what else could a 4-year-old boy want?

I think they may have been a Knoxville-area chain. My girlfriend grew up around Nashville and doesn't remember them.

Sundancer7

RE: Kay's Ice Cream Sat, 01/20/07 6:14 PM (permalink)
    They just closed their shop in Maryville, TN. I enjoyed their ice cream and sandwiches.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

ngawareagle34

• Total Posts: 3
      RE: Kay's Ice Cream Sat, 01/20/07 9:12 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by ctfrasier

Does anyone know if there are in Kay's Ice Cream shops still open. The one in my hometown, Sparta, TN, was my favorite place to eat when I was a little boy. Good ice cream, good burgers, good fries, what else could a 4-year-old boy want?

I think they may have been a Knoxville-area chain. My girlfriend grew up around Nashville and doesn't remember them.

ngawareagle34

• Total Posts: 3
        RE: Kay's Ice Cream Sat, 01/20/07 9:45 PM (permalink)
        I remember the old Kay's Kastles when I was a little boy too. We had one where I grew up in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia there was also one in East Ridge, Tennessee and one is still open in Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee. From what I understand about the Kay's Ice Cream shops, they were a chain from Knoxville that closed in the mid to late 80's. There equipment and trucks were bought by Mayfield Dairy of Athens, and some of their employees went to work for Mayfield. Mayfield even made some of their ice creams before they closed. The existing shops were independently ran after that.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
          RE: Kay's Ice Cream Mon, 12/3/12 6:11 PM (permalink)
          Necropost!

Is anybody able to confirm whether the last remaining Kay's, on Chapman Hwy in Knoxville, has closed?  I was planning to visit in two Saturdays coming back from Ohio, but the only telephone number that I can find has been (gulp) disconnected.

Sundancer7

RE: Kay's Ice Cream Tue, 12/4/12 6:44 AM (permalink)
            Heartbreaksoup

Necropost!

Is anybody able to confirm whether the last remaining Kay's, on Chapman Hwy in Knoxville, has closed?  I was planning to visit in two Saturdays coming back from Ohio, but the only telephone number that I can find has been (gulp) disconnected.

I drove by it a few weeks ago and it appeared to be open.  I had thought about stopping but at that time, I was in sort of a hurry.  I wished I had paid closer attention.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
              RE: Kay's Ice Cream Sun, 12/9/12 10:07 AM (permalink)
              I think I've seen some ice cream in grocery stores sold under the Kay's name.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                RE: Kay's Ice Cream Mon, 12/17/12 6:01 AM (permalink)
                Happy to say that the Chapman Highway Kay's is still with us.  They changed telephone numbers recently and the internet's still got the old one everywhere.  I updated Urbanspoon.  Anybody Googling looking for them, their number is 865-659-4076.

Also found in Knoxville: a former Kay's location on Asheville Highway reopened a few years ago, run by a woman who worked at that Kay's in the 1970s, as Scott's Place.  While technically not a Kay's, it has the iconic ice cream cone sign, and both Scott's and Kay's get their ice cream from Greenwood in Atlanta, so it's kind of close to being identical.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com