Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best Onion Rings

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 121
californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
Re:Best Onion Rings Wed, 01/25/12 10:35 AM (permalink)
around Sactown it would have to be a place called Avaitors tucked in Executive Airport (which was THe airport in Sac until the mid sixties)...The rings are sweet, fresh , somewhat tempura like  and are really something to behold..have them with the great patty melt and you will be a happy pilot.This place also has great breakfasts and check out the truly Roadfood worthy decor on this link   http://www.erench.com/RESTAUR/CALIF/SCRM/BRKCLUB/AVIA/index.htm  
<message edited by californyguy on Wed, 01/25/12 10:39 AM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
    Re:Best Onion Rings Thu, 01/26/12 9:56 AM (permalink)
    Onion Rings that stand out as being memorable since I first "discovered" this tasty side back in the 1960's:

Huot's Seafood Restaurant, Saco, ME
    The Villanova Inn, New Castle, PA
    The Plainview Diner, Plainview, NY (L.I.)
    Hard Times Cafe, Alexandria, VA
    (the original) Sonny Bryan's, Dallas, TX
    Sonny P's Burgers, McKinney, TX

If I had to pick the all-time best it would be the stacked beer-battered rings at Huot's.  Of course, everything tastes better with lobstah!

(I used to love Tony Roma's onion loaf but my last two meals at their Scottsdale, AZ and Georgetown, Grand Cayman locations were so dreadful I stopped patronizing that chain.  Too bad; I enjoyed many good meals there in Orlando and San Juan, PR).

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
      Re:Best Onion Rings Thu, 01/26/12 1:08 PM (permalink)
      Chamberlains Roast Beef in Booth's Corner's Farm Market in Boothwyn, PA.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Best Onion Rings Sat, 01/28/12 11:07 AM (permalink)
        Metro Jim,
           Some years back I had my first ever Onion 'Loaf' at a Tony Roma's in SoCal. It took a while for me to gain a yearning for those little pieces of onion.
          We found the larger rings to be more to our liking. Farmer Boy's, the SoCal mini-chain, offers an order of 6 or 7 rings...but they are Massive Inch-and-a-half thick slices of very large sweet onions. Battered and fried. I have seen some folks actually use a knife and fork to eat them. O R's are one side dish that I approve the use of Ketchup as a dip.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
          Re:Best Onion Rings Sat, 01/28/12 11:41 AM (permalink)
          I used to love the onion loaf at the first Damon's. But when Damon's became a chain something bad happened to those loaves.

falco

• Total Posts: 5
            Re:Best Onion Rings Sat, 01/28/12 11:49 AM (permalink)
            May I suggest the onion rings at the Grant Bar in Millvale, Pa?
            Really, just outside Pittsburgh City Limits-they are outstanding,
            and I believe they use the same coating with their signature Butterfly shrimp.
                                            Falco

Sundancer7

Re:Best Onion Rings Sat, 01/28/12 3:14 PM (permalink)
              Does anybody ever make their own?  I have tried it a few times lately using McCormick all purpose batter where you mix it in to two parts.  One wet and one dry.  I mix some spices in the batter such as chili powder. garlic powder and even onion powder

I fry them at 375F, slice the onions sideways very thick dip them in the dry and then the wet and coat them and let it rip.  I use a dipping sauce of thousand island which I make and cholula.

I use the same mix for small slices of chicken breast, chicken thighs and other things.

Pretty good.

Paul E. smjith
              Knoxville, TN 

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                Re:Best Onion Rings Sat, 01/28/12 4:38 PM (permalink)
                Paul,

We used to make a big batch of onion rings each spring when Vidalia's were released.  Now it seems that Vidalia's (usually a South American clone) are available all year long, so it is not such a big deal.

We never used a batter mix.  I've got a beer batter recipe that is good, but more recently have been doing a double dip with buttermilk as part of the recipe.

Jim

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                  RE: Best Onion Rings Sat, 01/28/12 10:31 PM (permalink)
                  The Varsity in and the Beacon in Spartanburg are close if not the best.  The long gone Red Barn Bar Be Que on the west side of Jacksonville Fl used to rank high, they cut a large onion   above and below its equator broke the slices apart and dipped it into buttermilk and flour and fried em and served em steaming hot.  Long gone now.   

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                    RE: Best Onion Rings Sun, 01/29/12 11:30 AM (permalink)
                    Honestly haven't had a good one in a while. Last time I had good ones that appeared to be homemade was at Kay Bros BBQ in Gainesville, FL. Noticed that Sonny's BBQ has apparently quit serving them. After reading this thread and getting a real "hankering" for some I was disappointed to see Sonny's stopped serving them when I had lunch there the other day. Also noticed my favorite wing place doesn't appear to serve them either.

HOP

• Total Posts: 18
                      RE: Best Onion Rings Sun, 02/12/12 9:01 PM (permalink)
                      The Pear Tree Restaurant in Bevier, Missouri has outstanding onion rings. Big, thick, and oh so tasty !!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                        RE: Best Onion Rings Sun, 02/12/12 11:02 PM (permalink)
                        Ted's Hot Dogs in Tempe AZ make a thin slice, light coated ring that goes well with their Dogs.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
                          RE: Best Onion Rings Sun, 02/12/12 11:56 PM (permalink)
                          I'm kind of partial to the ones that I serve.......Beer battered, nice and crispy.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                            RE: Best Onion Rings Mon, 02/13/12 12:23 AM (permalink)
                            chefbuba

I'm kind of partial to the ones that I serve.......Beer battered, nice and crispy.

Them Thar's good lookin' Wrangs!

mochamike

• Total Posts: 20
                              RE: Best Onion Rings Fri, 07/20/12 2:38 PM (permalink)
                              One of favorites has got to be Gott's Roadside in SF, soo good

OxDawg

• Total Posts: 51
                                RE: Best Onion Rings Wed, 11/28/12 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                I tried the onion rings at Long John Silvers and they were very good which was a surprise.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                  RE: Best Onion Rings Wed, 11/28/12 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                  Surprise, yes, as the rest of their food is horrible at best......

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                                    RE: Best Onion Rings Wed, 11/28/12 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                    I enjoyed some really surprisingly good rings at Skip's Chicago Dogs in Avondale Estates GA last week.  They had that really nice beer-battered crunch and were fried just a little darker than "golden brown," but they went just perfectly with their Vienna Beef dogs.

badbyron722

• Total Posts: 307
                                      RE: Best Onion Rings Mon, 12/31/12 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                      Love them from The Beacon Drive In.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
                                        RE: Best Onion Rings Mon, 12/31/12 3:56 PM (permalink)
                                        Heartbreaksoup

I enjoyed some really surprisingly good rings at Skip's Chicago Dogs in Avondale Estates GA last week.  They had that really nice beer-battered crunch and were fried just a little darker than "golden brown," but they went just perfectly with their Vienna Beef dogs.
                                        Many times when I order onion rings I'll ask that they be "overcooked" to a deep, dark brown so that the onion itself is really cooked through.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                                          RE: Best Onion Rings Mon, 12/31/12 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                          I used to like the "Funion Loaf" at Ribit.  As I recall they had some nice ribs as well.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                            Re:Best Onion Rings Tue, 01/1/13 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                            falco

May I suggest the onion rings at the Grant Bar in Millvale, Pa?
                                            Really, just outside Pittsburgh City Limits-they are outstanding,
                                            and I believe they use the same coating with their signature Butterfly shrimp.
                                                                           Falco

That's a great tip!
                                            IMHO, my hometown of Pittsburgh has the best bar/short order-food in the USA.
                                            I read your other posts and found them all to be useful/insightful.
                                            You should post more!

A belated WELCOME! to Roadfood!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                                              Re:Best Onion Rings Tue, 01/1/13 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                              The BEST onion ring in NYC are at New York Burger Co. The burgers are eh and the hamburger buns are just odd. But the onion rings...

They are not inexpensive but my son always finds really good deals on Groupon or Living Social. He loves a good sauce bar and the sauce bar at New York Burger Co. is substantial....

<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/1/13 7:32 PM>

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                Re:Best Onion Rings Thu, 01/3/13 8:55 AM (permalink)
                                                The two best orders of Onion Rings I had in 2012 came from two places that I went into with fairly low expectations:

The re-created Don's Drive In, formerly of Livingston NJ and now in Morristown, and no longer a drive in. Thier rings were more or less the traditional style and excellent, not greasy, with a great "crunch" and flavor.

And, just the other day, the much-hyped Bucu Burger in Paramus. There they were the thin style (they call them haystack onion rings here) and very tasty indeed, light and crispy, just the way I like them.

As for the burgers at these places, well, with all the "gourmet fast food" burger places opeing up in NJ, it's getting difficult to distinguish one from another. Five Guys, Bucu, Don's, Smash, Elevation, Cheebuger, and on and on.  All fine and edible, but not really memorable, and mostly overpriced.

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                                                  RE: Best Onion Rings Thu, 01/3/13 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                                  phatphil

popeyes chicken makes awesome rings

I agree!

caryhedges

• Total Posts: 1
                                                    Re:Best Onion Rings Wed, 03/12/14 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                                    I worked at the Peachtree Parkway location in '90-'92 and remember their awesome onion rings very well.  I haven't been able to find a better onion ring since then.

Heartbreaksoup

The Varsity indeed has some excellent rings, but I think the best you can currently find are the rings at Pizza Palace in Knoxville.  Then again, I have not yet been to the Beacon.

Does anyone else remember the Atlanta-based Mighty Casey's chain of hot dog/hamburger restaurants?  My parents confirm my memory that their rings were even better than the Varsity's.

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
                                                      Re:Best Onion Rings Wed, 03/12/14 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      Best I have had? Nick's Restaurant, Xenia OH. Fresh onions are hand sliced and breaded then fried, a nice crisp coat with a lot of flavor. They serve them with their house-made cocktail sauce, which sounded strange at first, but it works!
                                                      They also have awesome fried mushrooms. Again, fresh mushrooms left whole, hand breaded and fried. Incredibly simple and good.
                                                      www.gotonicks.com 
                                                      They need to update their website, they have won 'best wings' at the Dayton Wingfest three years in a row now.
                                                      Of course, I love the fact that they are a ten-minute walk from my house.
                                                      Bill
                                                      <message edited by RKB on Wed, 03/12/14 4:06 PM>

Sundancer7

Re:Best Onion Rings Sun, 03/16/14 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                                        In Knoxville Louis on Broadway has by far the best onion rings.  Sliced and hand dipped in their batter, they are huge and tasty and crispy.  I have had them many times over the years.  As a matter of fact 50 years and their spaghetti (Greek) sauce is unique and the best I have ever had.

http://www.theoriginallouis.com/

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          Re:Best Onion Rings Sun, 03/16/14 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                                          I've really enjoyed the onion rings at the Jolly Roger, a perch and walleye place on Lake Erie at Port Clinton, Ohio.
                                                          <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sun, 03/16/14 4:06 PM>

Davebassman

• Total Posts: 116
                                                            • Location: Herndon, VA
                                                            Re:Best Onion Rings Tue, 03/18/14 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                            I'll put in a "plug" for the rings at our local (Herndon, VA.) pub, Jimmy's Old Town Tavern http://www.jimmystavern.com/. As good as any I've tried lately.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 121

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com