The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS

Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 13 of 14, messages 361 to 390 of 409
TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/12/14 2:15 PM (permalink)
some related trivia: grana padano is the finishing cheese that Dom sprinkles on his pizzas after they come out of the oven at DiFara

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/12/14 3:00 PM (permalink)
    When I first "discovered" Grana Padano on the igourmet site, it was at least $3 cheaper than the Reggiano. Now it's become more popular and the prices are the same.

http://www.igourmet.com/s...-Grade---Pound-Cut.asp

http://www.igourmet.com/s...-Tempo---Pound-Cut.asp

Michael Hoffman

I occasionally buy the Grana Padano, and it's a little less expensive than the Parmigiano Reggiano I always have on hand, which usually runs about $17 or $18 a pound.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1210
      RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 01/13/14 8:26 PM (permalink)
      porkbeaks
      When I first "discovered" Grana Padano on the igourmet site, it was at least $3 cheaper than the Reggiano. Now it's become more popular and the prices are the same.

I've been using Grana Padano as my primary grating cheese for the last 20 years or so; I recall Fairway Market having a sign saying, essentially, that if you prefer Grana Padano to Reggiano, you're an uncultured boor. Got annoyed, but kept using what I liked better. Now, I see Grana Padano often more expensive than Reggiano, and much harder to find. I guess that there are either a lot of uncultured boors, or Fairway is run by a bunch of insulting idiots (actually, based on my experiences with Fairway management, I've known for a long time it's the latter).

Bart

porkbeaks

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 01/17/14 1:05 PM (permalink)
        I made this one last night. White pizza topped with Brussels sprouts, bacon, onion and mozz with a grating of Grana Padano when it came out of the oven. First time using the sprouts, but it sure won't be the last. Delicious!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
          RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 01/17/14 1:58 PM (permalink)
          That looks good. This is the second time I've heard of Brussels sprouts on a pie. The first time was on some television program a week or so ago. As a lover of Brussels sprouts I'm going to have to try it one of these days.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 01/17/14 2:17 PM (permalink)
            oooooo that looks great...Never tried it,but I will...I noticed in Italy,any topping goes...hard boiled eggs,,,poached eggs...many different types of mushrooms on the same pie....artichoke hearts....and my favorite,a white pie made with very thin slices of potato,salt&pepper....but Brussel sprouts...that's a new one....Thanks for a great idea!!

porkbeaks

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 01/17/14 3:08 PM (permalink)
              Motorino in the East Village is often given the credit for making it popular. I've been reading about for a while. Some variations use pancetta or speck instead of bacon. Many still make it with the underlying tomato based sauce and spreading the whole leaves over it (rather than thinly slicing them as I did) and just using grated parm or Pecorino Romano over that (no mozz). I lightly browned the bacon pieces, softened the onion in the bacon fat, and tossed the sliced sprouts with the mixture just until slightly wilted.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6230
                RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 01/17/14 7:27 PM (permalink)
                Nice looking pie. I was going to ask about the bacon. Got my answer. I haven't used bacon but have used the very thin Prosciutto without pre-browning.

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 02/8/14 10:02 AM (permalink)
                  Just experimenting with a new iPad/iPhone app for customizing photos called PopAgraph. This took all of maybe 5 minutes to create. BTW, this is the same pizza in message #351.

Here is the original photo which was essentially a discard because the butcher block table, wood peel and crust kind of blended and the composition was not great either.

I masked and lifted the pizza and put a background under and got this.

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 02/20/14 10:33 PM (permalink)
                    Couldn't wait for Saturday night. This is another personal 11" Italian sausage, mozzarella cheese, onion and black olive pizza made on the Breville table top electric pizza maker.

leethebard

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 02/21/14 4:49 AM (permalink)
                      Yummmmmmm.......Thanks, Prince of Pizza!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                        RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 02/21/14 7:51 AM (permalink)
                        Almost drooling!

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 12:12 PM (permalink)
                          Since Christmas I have been using this Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker, an electric 1200 watt table top clam shell oven.

Mostly I had been following their recommendations to prepare and bake a pizza on parchment paper placed on the ceramic stone. That required lifting the lid after about 2 minutes to slip the paper out before it burned because the oven gets over 600 degrees and the paper is rated to 420 degrees. I was not getting the traditional oven spring puffiness of the dough crust on what is called the cornicione (crust rim). I was wondering if it was my dough prep and recipe so I made two identical pizzas and baked one on the Breville and one in my electric range oven on a stone. This was the result. The Breville pizza is on the left.

I will further experiment later this week. I'm suspecting the parchment paper might be insulating the dough from the oven spring effect. Also opening the lid after two minutes might be letting too much heat escape. I will try the Breville without using parchment paper. Usually a fast bake a high heat promotes the oven spring puffiness. That is why wood-fired ovens at over 800 degrees create those Neapolitan style pizzas.
                          <message edited by Davydd on Sun, 03/2/14 12:14 PM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 12:26 PM (permalink)
                            Yep, the one on the right looks a little better than the other.  But, hey, you're an architect, you could design a wood-fired oven and have it built into your kitchen.  I once scribbled out a plan for what I would like in a "perfect kitchen" and it included a brick oven.  I showed it to a friend of mine who was a contractor.  His comment was, "You know what I want to be?  Your NEIGHBOR!" 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                              RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 12:44 PM (permalink)
                              I'd eat both.

At one sitting.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9583
                                RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                Ddd,
                                What's the weirdest Pizza you've ever made topping-wise?

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6103
                                  RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 5:30 PM (permalink)
                                  Any of you tried a Peanut Butter and Jelly Pizza, a topic here some years ago!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                    chewingthefat

Any of you tried a Peanut Butter and Jelly Pizza, a topic here some years ago!

Never have, never will.  Bleeeeech! 

Michael Hoffman

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                      I can't even stand a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 6:14 PM (permalink)
                                        Foodbme

Ddd,
                                        What's the weirdest Pizza you've ever made topping-wise?

Topping wise I made this Valentine Pizza with dark chocolate, mini-marshmallows, cinnamon dots, peanuts and heart jujubees last month.

Maybe this turkey cranberry brie?

Reindeer Sausage Pizza?

Sweet Potato Pork Tenderloin Pizza?

Jambalaya Pizza with chicken, shrimp and Andouille sausage with a Cajun rice and tomato sauce base and mozzarella cheese.

Maybe the most unique was I took some already left over deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich patties, chopped them up and put them on a pizza. I doubt anyone else has ever done that.

<message edited by Davydd on Sun, 03/2/14 6:15 PM>

leethebard

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 6:17 PM (permalink)
                                          Man...you are an artist!!!

Texascajun

• Total Posts: 115
                                            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 11:25 PM (permalink)
                                            I would LOVE to try the jambalaya pizza.

Foodbme

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 03/2/14 11:48 PM (permalink)
                                              I'd eat everyone of those!!!

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Wed, 03/5/14 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                                We had a delay and change of plans in our spring RV departure because of the storm that passed through the east this past weekend. So, I am at home and my wife flew to Washington DC for a week to see our 10 year old granddaughter which is actually a babysitting venture on her part she committed to. So we will depart next week. In the meantime, left alone, I can get in trouble. First I went looking for a smaller pizza peel to handle those personal pizzas on the counter top pizza maker. I ended up buying two peels as I couldn't make up my mind. Both were the last in stock at a Williams Sonoma store and both were on sale cheaper than I could find anything on Amazon.com.

Then I started making pizza dough. Welp, I made so much I now have four dough balls in the freezer supposedly good for 3 months, one in the refrigerator supposedly good for at least 3 days and one right now on the counter waiting to be stretched and baked.

I tell ya, I can get in trouble home alone. Stay tuned...

porkbeaks

• Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                  RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Wed, 03/5/14 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                                  No trouble polishing off one of those little pies by yourself though, huh?

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Wed, 03/5/14 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                                    No problem at all. I just had a late lunch because I wanted to photograph this pizza with natural light. My goal was to achieve a Neapolitan like puffy cornicione (crust rim). BTW, I broke down every ingredient of this pizza down to the gram and this pizza tops out at 815 calories. It measures 11" in diameter.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Wed, 03/5/14 4:51 PM (permalink)
                                                      Very nice.

leethebard

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Wed, 03/5/14 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                                        Davydd

No problem at all. I just had a late lunch because I wanted to photograph this pizza with natural light. My goal was to achieve a Neapolitan like puffy cornicione (crust rim). BTW, I broke down every ingredient of this pizza down to the gram and this pizza tops out at 815 calories. It measures 11" in diameter.

Only 815 calories....I'll have two!

Foodbme

• Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                          RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 03/6/14 12:04 AM (permalink)
                                                          You really have this craft down to a Science!
                                                          Is the Pizza Maker coming with you when you come to AZ for the winter?
                                                          I'll supply the electricity!!
                                                          <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 03/6/14 12:06 AM>

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 03/6/14 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                                            One thing about traveling in an RV especially in remote places and small towns is there is a definite dearth of good pizza. After a while I get a real desire for pizza. The problem with small Class B camper van motorhomes is there is little storage space for one of a kind luxury items like a pizza maker. I'm thinking maybe trying my hand at baking in a cast iron Dutch oven which I have been carrying. My other problem is dough prep when there is little kitchen counter space. I could pre-prepare and freeze dough balls but have a tiny freezer just big enough for ice cubes unless I put them in plastic bags instead of plastic containers. New motorhome on account of pizza?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 13 of 14, messages 361 to 390 of 409

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com