Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mashed Potato as a side dish

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 76 of 76
Singeli

• Total Posts: 27
Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Mon, 02/11/13 6:36 PM (permalink)
Recently had the white cheddar mashed potatoes at BJ's Brewhouse and loved them.
Anyone have the recipe?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
    Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Mon, 02/11/13 6:48 PM (permalink)
    Grate some cheddar and mix it into the potatoes as they're being mashed, along with the butter, cream, salt and pepper?

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
      Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Thu, 02/14/13 6:50 PM (permalink)
      Here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16732

AND WHY are NOT the old RF archives accessable????????????????

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
        Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Fri, 07/19/13 9:55 AM (permalink)
        Earlier in this thread, I mention a new variety of masher, "Huckleberry Gold". I just dug some as baby new potatoes. I also dug, Red Gold, Purple Viking, and Red Norland. All are excellent, and have subtle differences, but the Huckleberry Gold is, IMO, not up to the hype........... 
        Update, Labor Day weekend. The Huckleberry Golds are now mature (vice the baby new spuds that I reported on earlier).  The Huckleberry Golds, are indeed, uniquely delicious as mashed potatoes. I forsee a hit. They will not be in great supply for a few years, but if you see them, you should try them. Under my conditions, they don't get very big, being about the same size as "Red Gold". Those of you who hate to peel may see that as a disadvantage. I leave most of the skin on.
        <message edited by tmiles on Sat, 08/31/13 2:01 PM>

marteenhook

• Total Posts: 35
          Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Thu, 10/3/13 12:57 AM (permalink)
          I am fond of Mashed Potatoes, here is a simple recipe of Mashed Potatoes.
          Perfect Mashed Potatoes Recipe:
          INGREDIENTS:
          1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered length-wise1/2 teaspoon salt4 Tbsp heavy cream2 Tbsp butter1 Tbsp milkSalt and Pepper
          METHOD:
          1 Put potatoes into a saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add water until potatoes are covered. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes, or until done - a fork can easily be poked through them.
          2 Warm cream and melt butter, together, either in microwave or in a pan on the stove. Drain water from potatoes. Put hot potatoes into a bowl. Add cream and melted butter. Use potato masher to mash potatoes until well mashed. Use a strong spoon to beat further, adding milk to achieve the consistency you desire. (Do not over-beat or your potatoes will get gluey.) Salt and pepper to taste.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
            RE: Mashed Potato as a side dish Thu, 10/3/13 1:57 AM (permalink)
            Philmash

Hey Mosca, I like your style! Mashed potatoes and sauerkraut sounds awesome! Im Going to try this out for sure. Do you recommend kraut out of a can or would you make it from scratch?

It's a Pennsylvania Thang!
            Pork Roast cooked in Sauerkraut with beer, some sliced onions and caraway seeds and served with mashed potatoes.
            I make a hole in my mashed potatoes, add some butter, fill it with sauerkraut and dig in!

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
              Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Thu, 10/3/13 10:49 PM (permalink)
              marteenhook

Of course it is simple. You stole it from http://www.simplyrecipes....rfect_mashed_potatoes/

Bart

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Fri, 10/4/13 6:03 AM (permalink)
                bartl

marteenhook

Of course it is simple. You stole it from http://www.simplyrecipes....rfect_mashed_potatoes/

Bart

And, ...!!!... not enough cream or butter   ... too much water to cook in; only need enough to steam the potatoes done (soft) with little to no water left, not drown the potatoes; this keeps all the potato flavor;   ... the addition of powered milk would be great to.

How much butter & margarine to add?     Add an 'UN-godly' amount, then when you think it is right, add MORE. Then adjust consistency with milk.  I use equal parts butter & margarine.

A few months ago I got a compliment on my mash potatoes from an old professional cook: "the best damn mash potatoes I every eat"  ...... 
                <message edited by edwmax on Fri, 10/4/13 6:04 AM>

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Fri, 10/4/13 1:48 PM (permalink)
                  milk heck use evap milk or cream and add some sour cream to the mix too.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                    Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Fri, 10/4/13 5:43 PM (permalink)
                    CajunKing

milk heck use evap milk or cream and add some sour cream to the mix too.

In a 4 gt pan, I use 1/2 envelope of powered milk.  When everything is as I want it, I then ADJUST CONSTANCY with regular milk if needed. ... not water ...
                    <message edited by edwmax on Fri, 10/4/13 5:58 PM>

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                      Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sat, 10/5/13 3:54 PM (permalink)
                      Tom Green (the comedian / actor) once said it and it's true.. when he goes out to a diner he finds that you can often substitute mashed potatoes instead of fries. Like 2 times out of 10 he finishes his fries, but like 9 times out of 10 he finishes his mashed potatoes.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                        Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 11/17/13 2:27 PM (permalink)
                        A newspaper story a few days ago told where to skimp a Thanksgiving. It said to use cheap russets, but lots of cream. I disagree. Russetts are better for baking. For mashed I like a potato that whips up with a waxy sheen. If they cost a little more, so what? They are still cheap, and a lot of folks in this thread would agree that the mashers are an important part of the meal. At Thanksgiving, I'd rather skimp with a frozen turkey than to have average mashed potatoes.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                          Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 11/17/13 11:54 PM (permalink)
                          Thanksgiving should be a day without skimps or shortcuts.

The cream is most likely more expensive than the potatoes.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
                            Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Tue, 11/19/13 1:34 PM (permalink)
                            Noy having read all the other posts on this topic, my 2 cents-Instead of salt, use granulated chicken boullion, gives the taters anextra good flavor!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                              Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Tue, 11/19/13 8:29 PM (permalink)
                              CCinNJ

Thanksgiving should be a day without skimps or shortcuts.

TomEN

• Total Posts: 34
                                Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Mon, 03/3/14 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                I love mashed potatoes with meatloaf. Anytime I make meatloaf, I am always sure to include mashed potatoes because I like to eat them together.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                  Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 76 of 76

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com