The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > >> | Showing page 37 of 42, messages 1081 to 1110 of 1253
CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 08/12/13 5:53 PM (permalink)
Al - the thing to remember with Bison, they are big, tough dumb animals.
The skull shot will make rounds skip off like a stone on water.
The lung shot will bring him down eventually, but will that before his adrenaline kicks in and he charges at you or away from you.
The heart shot is a good shot to take, but it is fairly protected by the shoulder and leg.

The 338 with nosler 250 gr would be a good choice, and like you said proper shot placement will be the key. 

I have seen the beast take several shots before going down.  The lung shot is the eaiest to hit, but is not an instant kill, and you may have to "chase" him down.

You could go old school and bring a muzzle loader along.

SodaDude

• Total Posts: 26
    Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/13/13 3:39 PM (permalink)
    CajunKing
    You could go old school and bring a muzzle loader along.

<<<<Is a big fan of old school guns.  Just bought a Pedersoli Brown Bess reproduction last year.  Usually bring a .50 flintlock Lyman Deerstalker to the black bear-surrounded cabin, plus carried a .38 rim-fire revolver from 1885 in the bush this year (antiques are the only pistols one can carry in the wilderness in Canada unless you work as a prospector or something and can establish that carrying a long gun is impractical).

This year I bought three Martini Henry's, two from the Boer War.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/13/13 4:45 PM (permalink)
      C K
         The .338 will do the job.  If I were a bit more mobile, I might  go for a Sharps 50 cal or a 45/70 lever gun.  I am kind of sorry I parted with my Marlin 444 levergun last year. It would have been perfect for this hunt.

A couple of my friends are lovers of the early model rifles.. Made during the era of change that SodaDude mentioned. I may look into one of the Springfield Trap-door 45/70's, but not until after this trip is done.

BTW-- To give this adventure a 'link' to the main Roadfood theme,  We will make a short side trip to the Blue Owl Bakery just South of St Louis.  Janet saw the 'Levee High Apple Pie" recently and also the Carmel Butter Pecan... So we will visit it comig and/or going to the Ranch this Winter.
      http://www.theblueowlgiftshop.com/product.php?productid=32&cat=0&page=

http://www.theblueowlgiftshop.com/product.php?productid=37&cat=0&page=

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
        Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/13/13 5:54 PM (permalink)
        Good Lord, that apple pie weighs 10 pounds!!!  And the pecan doesn't look too shabby either!  I think you should visit going to and returning from the ranch. 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
          Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/13/13 6:01 PM (permalink)
          As long as you're talking about bakeries, I would be remiss if I failed to let you know that there's a new kolache place that opened here in Columbus.
          http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/08/13/tex-czech-flavor.html

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/13/13 6:12 PM (permalink)
            HA HA HA it says it "serves 8" or maybe just one hungry BB, CTD or Cousin Johnny.  Although Cliff is not a nut guy, so it might serve eight

Sundancer7

Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/13/13 6:19 PM (permalink)
              Al, those pies look double outstanding to me.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/13/13 7:38 PM (permalink)
                The BLUE OWL was one of the places featured in a recent episode of "Food Paradise" on the Travel Channel.  They stopped in several places around the USA that focus on pies...including Julian, CA,  and an Aussie Meat Pie Cafe in NYC.  Nothing looked as good to us as the BLUE OWL'S Pies.
                It is just off I-55 at Exit 186 about 10 miles South of St Louis.

Any of the Roadfood Pie Lover's ever been there??????

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                  Re:Firearm lovers. Fri, 08/16/13 10:09 AM (permalink)
                  Mr. Mayor, thanks again for the info on the hunt.  Still thinking about it for later this fall; working on getting a group together.   Sausage looks great.   Has the hog been good eatin' so far?

I have a buddy who did in his bison several years ago with a Shiloh rifle in .45/70, I think.    I think the rifle was pretty expensive, though.  He sold his .458 to finance that purchase.  Why he had a .458 hanging around, I never figured out.  

As far as the Blue Owl, yes, it's good stuff.  I'm not a fan of caramel covering the apple pie, I like the traditional.  Whenever we pass through, we usually stop for lunch or buy a pie (they also sell just slices) to go.   All are pretty doggone good.  I'm partial to the pumpkin walnut in the fall...  Although any fruit pie is my preference.  If I want cream pie, just give me pudding instead.  And while the lunch time food is OK, I've had good breakfast foods there, too.

Another good pie stop, this one in Rolla.....http://asliceofpie.info/
                  always very, very good, and they often have some of the more unusual pies I like, such as blackberry crumb,  strawberry rhubarb, or even custard. 

good hunting and eatin'!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Firearm lovers. Fri, 08/16/13 11:53 AM (permalink)
                    Grillman,
                       We have distant family in Rolla, and stop there whenever we are passing thru...or on our way to the game ranch.  We have enjoyed "A Slice of Pie" a couple of times.

We just made a take-out dinner of Pork Ribs, Pulled Pork, and BBQ Beans for one of my Son's family to enjoy when they brought our new great-grand daughter home fom the hospital yesterday. All the Pork was from the big (450 lb) hog and it was great.
                    We have tried the new-hog sausage twice and find it as tasty and lean as that made last year from our first hogs from the ranch.  Think Purnell's Mild sausage and you have a close flavor example, but ours is leaner with less grease residue.

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 322
                      Re:Firearm lovers. Sun, 08/18/13 9:48 AM (permalink)
                      My father, brother and I have been avid hunters for many years, although less so over the last couple decades since my brother and I have had our careers to tend to.  We have always adhered to strict fair chase hunting.  Where do you come down on the subject?  Do you consider high-fence shooting of bunk-fed, transplanted animals to be ethical hunting?  Does a high-fence enclosure of a certain size (1,000 acres, 3,000 acres, 5,000 acres) reach a point where you would consider it fair chase?  I realize this is the only way some hunters will be able to bag certain game, but would you do it?  Please try to keep all replies respectful, thoughtful, and honest. Everyone is due their own opinion and no one is right or wrong. This is not a thread to bash others views but to see where a line is, if there is one at all.
                      <message edited by Treetop Tom on Mon, 08/19/13 9:59 AM>

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                        Re:Firearm lovers. Sun, 08/18/13 11:09 AM (permalink)
                        I hesitate to respond as I'm not a hunter or gun owner but I can see the appeal of actually hunting down game as opposed to game ranch hunting , which seems like a shooting range with a bonus cooler of meat at the end of the day. I can see a game ranch for people who cannot physically get out in the woods.

Another issue is escaped game. An exotic game ranch in our area lost some wild boar...and now everyone has wild boar. State DOC has issued a no holds barred shoot to kill order to try to contain the spread but they are breeding so fast and ruining acres of farmland. I'm thinking about opening a Tuscan restaurant featuring boar but I'm pretty sure you can't sell wild game in a restaurant in NYS.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Firearm lovers. Sun, 08/18/13 5:22 PM (permalink)
                          Tom,
                          It is a series of compromises with "shooting in a corral" at one end of the spectrum and "Using a knife and a spear in the whole State of Montana" on the other end. 
                          I enjoyed the experience of walking in the woods (actually the desert) many times over my younger years, with the outdoor camping experiences being the prime purpose and bringing home 'meat' strictly an added bonus.
                          That is not the situation for me now.  We tried a "ranch" in Texas a couple of years ago and it was not what we thought it woukld be. The place was fenced and a total of about 800 acres of brush-land , using blinds and feeders to attract the hogs out of the brush.  It was a canned 'shoot' for sure and was not anything special...and turned out to be pretty expensive.

The compromise we are participating in now is a larger Ranch. It encloses 5 square miles. You can choose to wander the woods on a stalking hunt, or use a guide and a blind or several other possibilities.  Since I am rather limited in my mobility I choose to use a technique that keeps me off my feet most of the time.

Our motivation now includes filling the freezer to help offset the cost of the trip...that was not an issue before, but it is a contributing factor now.   I cannot justify a $5000 elk hunt in Colorado with possibly not bringing home an Elk !  In Missouri We will take a Bison for less than $3500, enjoy a three day holiday in very nice resort-level accomodations, and bring home over 500 lbs of finish-butchered Bison. In our personal situation that is an acceptable compromise...But it may not be for everyone.
                          That's just My Opinion..It works for us, but may not for others.

Cosmos-  As to the escapee's,  Indiana has the same sort of laws being implimented now about importing Hogs. 
                          My response would be to place a shoot on sight law into effect and charge a license fee,  that money would be used to pay claims made by landowners who have damage claims.  Not perfect but a start...and fine the rancher who allows escaping animals.
                          As far as wild game goes, I am sure that Bison and the various Venison's are on the menu in Many NY restaurants...so Boar and Alligator should be an acceptable addition.

<message edited by mayor al on Sun, 08/18/13 5:42 PM>

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
                            Re:Firearm lovers. Sun, 08/18/13 6:14 PM (permalink)
                            I used to hunt quite often in my teens and twenties, i am 40 now and just dont feel like hunting anymore , but I am all for Harvesting meat to offset the cost of a good meal and to provide food for my family and friends. I also like to catch a mess of fish out of my uncles pond just down the street , so I guess I am in favor of going to a fenced ranch. Please lets not get this thread locked again.
                            Karl

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 08/19/13 6:09 AM (permalink)
                              Uncle Groucho,  So far this discussion has not exceeded the 'Guidelines'.  On some Gun Forums some of the members really 'Duke it out' over this issue.  I understand the 'Fair Chase issue' and respect the opinion of those who's opinion differs from mine...I can only hope that when, or if, they are ever in my situation, they will accept a different form of compromise for 'Hunting'.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 08/19/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                I am like Groucho and Al, I loved getting out and enjoyed the "Hunting" aspect.  Now with mobility issues I have not been out in the woods in about 10 years.

As Al mentioned about the place in TX being on the small side and the "canned shot".  It is an option for those who can't get out and stalk.  i do like the place The Mayor is going to now, it is bigger and offers both the canned and the stalk style hunting.

I was looking at a place in WY that has a "ranch" of over 12,000 acres, that offers several different options, from the "canned shot" meat producing hunt, to a "stalking" hunt with a high probability of success, to a "Trophy" hunt in which a trophy animal is specifically chosen for "release" on the ranch and then you "stalk" your prey. 

At over 12K acres you NEED a guide and ATV to cover all that distance.

I think both styles should be acceptable, yes the hard core group will always be "cavemanesque", but in the real world circumstances change and why should someone with limited mobility not have the same chance to hunt if they so choose.

on the boar issue so far they have not made it to this area yet.  They are in the SW part of Indiana and through the State Forests areas down there.  I am on the board of a camp for special needs children and this is becoming a concern for us.  We dont want to FENCE in the camp, but it may come to that.

Uncle Groucho

Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 08/19/13 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                  My Step Father just won a Kel Tec  PMR-30 , so they are taking my daughter out for ice cream at Graeters , and all I got was a stinking T-Shirt.
                                  It is an odd looking pistol , .22 magnum I believe with a 30 round clip , not bad for a $5 raffle ticket.
                                    If anyone is familiar with this pistol , please leave a comment , pro or con
                                  Karl
                                  <message edited by Uncle Groucho on Mon, 08/19/13 8:43 PM>

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 08/19/13 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                    I am not much of a Kel-Tec fan, but the PMR-30 has a pretty good book value. There are 4 of them listed on Guns America right now...all at $800 each.
                                    My neighbor got his daughter (adult) a Kel-Tec 32 cal automatic, and she has said it shoots well and she is happy with it.
                                       I still am not convinced they are worth the kind of money they are selling for...

Uncle Groucho

Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 08/19/13 9:30 PM (permalink)
                                      I agree with you Al, but for a $5 raffle, I intend to see if it can hold its own. It also came with a holster and 200 rounds of ammo, he picks it up tomorrow , I will check it out and get back to you. The Kel-Tec website advertises the msrp of $415.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 08/19/13 10:53 PM (permalink)
                                        Karl,
                                          For some reason the PMR-30 has been selling very high...far above the MSRP at the auctions and online sales I have watched for the last year or so.
                                        Give us some range-reports when you can.

Uncle Groucho

Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/20/13 8:27 PM (permalink)
                                          Al you are right, when he went to the dealer in Sellersburg he had 3 large offers for the pistol and the rest of the stuff , $800+ for all on all three offers on post-it notes stuck on the box , he said he is in no hurry to sell and he bought 250 more rounds. I just figured you would like to hear about it , take care Karl.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/20/13 11:18 PM (permalink)
                                            Don
                                               Having a lot of options as to What you want to hunt, How you want to do it, and what the purpose is, meat or trophy, is part of the planning we do with the management of the ranch we visit.

We have decided to go after a Young Bull Bison this winter sometime...dates are still undecided, but between November 1 and March 1. We will bring the hide and head home also, as our neighbor does 'tanning' and we will boil the skull to bleach it out for a trophy of sorts. Taxidermy is available, but much to expensive for us.  The package butchering and freezing is included in the price, so the only extra costs are the gas going to and from, and a tip for the guide which depends on the services rendered.  The young man who has guided us on our two previous visits really goes beyond normal duty to insure we get what we want and butchers it as good as any retail meat cutter could . We are looking forward to this trip, big-time !
                                              I have test fired the Ruger .338 Win Mag and find that it kicks pretty hard.  I may drop back to the .308 Scout Rifle using a 180 grain round. It shoots much easier, and shot placement is everything in this particular situation. I seem 6o flinch pretty bad with the .338 Win Mag. but hopefully I can learn to control that shortly...if not the .308 will do the job.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 08/21/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                              Al, a .338 does seem to cause lace-panty wearers to flinch. OK, that's something the late Col. Charles Askins always said to show what a tough guy he was. Truth is, the .338 hurts. It hurts a lot. I'll bet you won't flinch when you fire it at game, though. Wait till you try a .416 Rigby. The first time I fired one of those I wasn't sure which end of the shot I'd prefer to be on.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 08/21/13 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                                MH,  My first deer gun was a 16 gauge single shot Iver Johnson...with a steel butt-plate. When I fired a slug out of that gun it really hit me hard.  I still have the gun, but will not shoot slugs thru it ...ever again.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 08/21/13 3:27 PM (permalink)
                                                  Al, when I was 12 years old I knew this old man who lived down the shore from us at the beach who'd been a market hunter back when that was legal. One day he let me fire his 8 gauge punt gun. I ended up flat on my back with a dislocated shoulder.

Sundancer7

Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 08/21/13 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    Michael, when I was the age you were when you fired the 8 gauge, I was shooting a 20 gauge H&R single shot and it was tough enough on me.  I cannot imagine firing a 8 gauge.  That is more like a canon.

Paul E. Smith
                                                    Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 08/21/13 8:06 PM (permalink)
                                                      Sundancer7

Michael, when I was the age you were when you fired the 8 gauge, I was shooting a 20 gauge H&R single shot and it was tough enough on me.  I cannot imagine firing a 8 gauge.  That is more like a canon.

Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN

Paul, when I was 12 I was shooting a 20 and a 12. The 8 gauge was amazing. For one thing, the barrel was 40 inches long. It was meant to be fired with the barrel resting in a notch cut into the bow of the duck shooter's boat and the butt resting on a thwart. The market hunter would scull to a floating flock of waterfowl, aim the bow of the boat at the center of the flock (which they called a raft), and let fly. One shot would kill as many as 25 or 30 birds.

Sundancer7

Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 08/21/13 8:15 PM (permalink)
                                                        Michael:  I believe I had read and seen pics and articles about hunters using a huge shotgun on the Chesapeake killing hundreds of waterfowl a day.  I believe it was early this century (1900's).

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 08/21/13 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                                          Mischner included a description of the boat mounted over-sized gun in his novel "Chesapeake".

Here is a 10 gauge W C Scott blk-powder breechloader I got for a neighbor a couple of years ago. He test fired it mounted in a 'Lead-Sled' firmed attached to a hvy work bench. Even with a reduced load cartridge the gun turned the whole table and gun-vise over when it was fired...That's a 30" barrel 10 gauge...

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 322
                                                            • Location: Baltimore, MD
                                                            Re:Firearm lovers. Thu, 08/22/13 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                                            One of my prized possessions is a Winchester Model 12 my Dad gave me several years ago.  It was his father’s before him, in 16-gauge with a stainless barrel.  Yet I rarely use it –Why? – Because somewhere along the line either Gramps or Pops put a Poly-Choke on it.  I know these things were all the rage back in the day and I understand their functionality and convenience, but they look ghastly, IMHO.  It really doesn’t affect the balance or use of the gun and I hate to modify something that has been handed down as a family heirloom, but I’m thinking about getting it removed and going to a screw-in choke, if any.  Or maybe I should simply learn to love it, warts and all.  Any thoughts?  Has anyone ever regretted (un)doing that mod?
                                                            <message edited by Treetop Tom on Thu, 08/22/13 11:02 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > >> | Showing page 37 of 42, messages 1081 to 1110 of 1253

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com