The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > >> | Showing page 38 of 42, messages 1111 to 1140 of 1251
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
Re:Firearm lovers. Thu, 08/22/13 10:28 AM (permalink)
The Poly-choke was a good idea, and it worked. But, as you say, it's ugly. I understand your reluctance to remove it, changing an heirloom, but the Model 12 is such a great shotgun it's a shame not to use it, at least occasionally. I'd go ahead and have the Poly-choke removed (by a competent gunsmith), but I'm not sure I'd have it modified for choke tubes.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Firearm lovers. Sun, 08/25/13 6:33 PM (permalink)
    I have been forcing myself to ignore several of the Hoosier Auctions  for the Summer. Got everything paid for, Gun's, Ammo, and the Hunt we enjoyed.  Now as we plan the Bison Trip for later this year, I have to be very careful not to to overspend an auction visit....But early in September one of the Indy locations is having a good one, with a couple of Commemorative Colt 1911's (Black with Gold Trim and engraving)...I am very tempted to check them out with a visit...but if I go I may wind up on the Boss's bad list.   So I better think about this seriously.
    Here's the auction listing , in case you would like to see it.
    https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=70155

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
      Model 12 Tue, 08/27/13 2:09 PM (permalink)
      Tom,
      The PolyChoke does work well but it is indeed ugly. I have one on Dad's shotgun, a 1940 Ithaca 37 in 16ga. It was the first gun that I ever fired and I still shoot skeet with it regularly. I would not even consider removing the PolyChoke; Dad put it on and in his memory, there it stays. IMO, shoot that M12 a bit before you take it off, it may grow on you. If you do get it removed, as MH said, have it done by a competent gunsmith. Don't take any chances of ruining the barrel and I have seen that happen.
      <message edited by RKB on Tue, 08/27/13 2:13 PM>

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
        Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 08/27/13 2:19 PM (permalink)
        Michael Hoffman

Wait till you try a .416 Rigby. The first time I fired one of those I wasn't sure which end of the shot I'd prefer to be on.

Amen.
        A friend brought a Ruger #1 Tropical rifle in 416 Rigby to the range one day and let me try it. The recoil cracked a bone in my trigger finger.
        The .460 Weatherby does not kick as hard as that beast did.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          Re:Firearm lovers. Sat, 08/31/13 2:45 AM (permalink)
          OK, The reservation is in. We will bring down our first Bison/Buffalo early in January 2014. This one is mine, with Janet and I making the 'Winter Safari' to Rolla, Missouri to bring down not only a good supply of freezer 'beef', but to glean the hide and head as well.  The head will become a 'bare-skull' record of the adventure, and the hide an experiment in tanning and leather-creation for us and our craft-oriented neighbor.
          Watch for my preperation details as the weather cools.

<message edited by mayor al on Sat, 08/31/13 2:51 AM>

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Firearm lovers. Sat, 08/31/13 2:22 PM (permalink)
            AL - you better be careful he is giving you the evil eye, he KNOWS what you look like, and he is not afraid...

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 09/3/13 2:01 PM (permalink)
              Thanks, CK, I hope his anger wears off prior to our visit.
              BTW
              We did a Costco Run this morning...They have 2.5 lb pkgs of 90% lean Ground Bison for $17.00 or about $6.80 a lb. Our Bison hunt is starting to make economic sense.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Firearm lovers. Thu, 09/5/13 9:33 PM (permalink)
                OK  As promised we did a sample Bison Loin sliced into steaks and pan-fried with Bacon. served with  Baked Potato and a few buttered Brussell Sprouts sauted in the pan drippings.
                In sequence.
                The second half of the Tenderloin.

Slicing 1.25 inch thick .

ready to 'fry'

In the pan

On the plate

Checking doneness...just right for me.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Thu, 09/5/13 10:38 PM (permalink)
                  Beautiful!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Firearm lovers. Fri, 09/6/13 6:21 PM (permalink)
                    Hey i got those same plates!!!!!!!!

Sundancer7

Re:Firearm lovers. Fri, 09/6/13 6:41 PM (permalink)
                      Great job Mayor.  Sure looks good to me.

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Firearm lovers. Sun, 09/22/13 6:52 PM (permalink)
                        Apparently, The availability of ammunition is starting to return to the 'pre-panic' levels.  I found some 308 Winchester for $11.00 a box and some 250 gr SP .338 WinMag for $20 a box with free shipping  today on-line. Got 2 boxes of the 308 and 2 of the .338 WMag as we are prepping for the coming winter Bison Hunt.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Firearm lovers. Fri, 10/18/13 2:37 PM (permalink)
                          I am bumping this thread because I simply have to share a photo with you.  Taken by another firearms shopper at the recent KNOB CREEK Gun Show and Auto-Weapons Shoot, just across the river from us.

Yes that is an "M-249" Light Machine Gun the lady is toting around while her husband was bargaining for ammunition. I immediately thought I was peering into the future and seeing Lisa and Michael doing their weekly shopping (some years from now !!)

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Fri, 10/18/13 3:01 PM (permalink)
                            SAWs are nice, but I would never wear black stockings with a camo SAW. Not even some years from now.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Firearm lovers. Fri, 10/18/13 4:57 PM (permalink)
                              I didnt know Michael and Lisa were converting to Amish/Mennonite/Brethern/Hutterite/German Baptist.

That is a sweet SAW

eruby

• Total Posts: 586
                                • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 10/22/13 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                mayor al

I am bumping this thread because I simply have to share a photo with you.  Taken by another firearms shopper at the recent KNOB CREEK Gun Show and Auto-Weapons Shoot, just across the river from us.

Yes that is an "M-249" Light Machine Gun the lady is toting around while her husband was bargaining for ammunition. I immediately thought I was peering into the future and seeing Lisa and Michael doing their weekly shopping (some years from now !!)

I wouldn't think the Amish would want to go through the NFA misery to get a tax stamp for a machine gun.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 10/28/13 3:04 AM (permalink)
                                  Picked up a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 caliber. Nice 'Old West' feel to it. It does have a real 'thumper' recoil though. I don't think Janet will be shooting ths one.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Mon, 10/28/13 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                    That is nice. And Mr. Mayor, she won't feel a thing when she's firing it at one of those wooly guys you're heading to Missouri for.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 10/29/13 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                      Looks like a decent gun auction near Indy this Saturday. I guess I will spend the day on the road.  

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Tue, 10/29/13 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                        Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janet, hide his wallet.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 10/30/13 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                          Hey Michael,  You want to meet me there? It is on I-70 about ten miles west of the Indy airport Saturday at noon. (on U S 40 in Clayton, IN)
                                          https://www.proxibid.com/...amp;ipp=100&sort=0

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 10/30/13 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                            mayor al

Hey Michael,  You want to meet me there? It is on I-70 about ten miles west of the Indy airport Saturday at noon. (on U S 40 in Clayton, IN)
                                            https://www.proxibid.com/...amp;ipp=100&sort=0

Are you kidding? First of all, Saturday is just the second day of pheasant season. Second, third, fourth, fifth, etc., there's the new bed, the new couch, the new drapes, the new stove, and Christmas. There's nothing left for the important stuff such as firearms. Plus, there's the Glee Club coming up in February and the hoped-for trip (finally) to Connecticut.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 10/30/13 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                              Looks like Uncle Groucho will accompany me to Indy this Saturday for the auction. We may have to do a Shapiro's Deli stop on the way out to Clayton in the morning. The inventory list has climbed to well over 500 lots of firearms, Ammo and relate equipment.  Should be a busy  day.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 10/30/13 7:55 PM (permalink)
                                                I hate you!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                  • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 10/30/13 9:40 PM (permalink)
                                                  And I have a model 49, looks we have a collection between us.

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
                                                    • Location: Floyd County, IN
                                                    Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 10/30/13 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                                    I cant wait , we are going to have a hell of a good time. Now i have sneak into my 7yr. old daughters piggy bank and take a " loan ". Maybe a little more now that we are going to Shapiros Deli.
                                                    Karl

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                      • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:Firearm lovers. Wed, 10/30/13 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                                      I've acquired a few new firearms this year, as much OT as I've been working I decided to treat myself.

I bought a S&W 686+, a 7 shot .357magnum. This is a Mt Gun configuration made in the 1980s. It has a tapered barrel and doesn't have the full underlug.

Next is a Mossberg 590, a 8+1 12ga shotgun. My new Zombie killer.

Last is a Glock 20, in 10mm. I've been a fan of the 10mm since 1992 when I bought my 1st one, a Colt Double Eagle.

The last few weeks I've been doing a lot of reloading. I've done 1K each of 10mm, 44mag and 45acp. I did 500 of 38spl and 1,500 of 357magnum. I'm well stocked for awhile.

I used an assortment of bullets for each of the calibers above. Hornady XTPs, RMR bullets heavy plated and Missouri Bullet Co. cast lead.

I read a disturbing article last night, the last lead ore smelter in the USA has closed due to EPA regulations. Lead and coal are no longer welcome here. :(

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:Firearm lovers. Thu, 10/31/13 6:33 AM (permalink)
                                                        Uncle Groucho,
                                                        I am looking forward to  Shapiro's. We'll get sandwiches to go so we can avoid the grease-burgers they sell at the snack bar at the auction house. I'll have a cooler for soda too.

The inventory has climbed to about 550 items at te auction.  They are selling ammo in smaller quantities this time, putting 2 or 4 boxes in a lot to make it affordable for buyers.  I am looking for a couple of firearms to keep and a couple to trade away to help pay for the keepers.

If the timing is right we may hit Jonathon Byrds on the way home for dinner.

eruby

• Total Posts: 586
                                                          • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Firearm lovers. Thu, 10/31/13 7:03 AM (permalink)
                                                          I am quite jealous of the good time you gentlemen (and ladies) will have at the gun show.

I wish I lived in a real 'Free' state where I could attend, and buy what I want at will as you all will do Saturday.

MikeS, I love that Mossberg 590.  I almost bought one a couple of weeks ago, but am still a bit low on funds from buying stripped lowers and other items that became verbotten after 10/1.  For now, I'll have to make do with my 5+1 Pardner Pump. Hopefully no big herds will amble by.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Firearm lovers. Thu, 10/31/13 7:37 AM (permalink)
                                                            eruby,
                                                            Indiana does make it easy to do the deal at auctions.  I have my 4473 form all filled out. After the auction  and after paying for my winning bids, I give my form to the folks there...even on a Saturday evening, they contact the authorities get a cleaence and send me on my way with whatever I have bought.  1 gun or 20 it works the same.  I have seen folks denied, but they should have known they didn't qualify when they bid...former-felon, non-res alien etc.  
                                                            So I am ready. I am 'watching about 35 items, will probably bid on 20 and may win 5-7 or so.  At least that is the plan right now.
                                                            This is an open auction, not a gun show. The payoff is to do your homework on the list on-line, then inspect them before the bidding begins.  Once the auction starts it will go pretty fast,  a real fun afternoon for Karl and I

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > >> | Showing page 38 of 42, messages 1111 to 1140 of 1251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com