The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WI restaurant without a fish fry?

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
WI restaurant without a fish fry? Mon, 04/9/07 3:08 PM (permalink)
Yes, it's true...there's at least one Wisconsin restaurant that doesn't have a Friday fish fry.

A couple of Fridays ago we went to Laz Bistro in Stoughton and there were only 2 seafood-only items on the menu: sesame-glazed salmon and tilapia in a Creole crawfish sauce over wild rice. My wife ordered the salmon ($10) and was happy with it (I'm not a big salmon eater and even I thought it was quite tasty), and the tilapia ($16) was superb. I can't remember everything in the sauce - it was creamy, with pieces of crawfish, garlic, scallions, tomatoes - but the flavor was outstanding and the fish itself was light and tender and not at all mushy. We skipped the appetizers and the portions were still more than enough to fill us.

It's just a little hole in the wall on Main St. (used to be a bar) but the food has been excellent every time we've been there. Plus there's good beer on tap and a decent wine selection, and it's not a wallet-buster.

Brad

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: WI restaurant without a fish fry? Mon, 04/9/07 3:12 PM (permalink)
    With good eats like that, who needs a fish fry?
    (If ya do it again, take some pics and share)..

ScreamingChicken

RE: WI restaurant without a fish fry? Fri, 10/5/12 2:26 PM (permalink)
      I was browsing my Photobucket account and came across 4 photos from August of last year.  That night we started with mussels in white wine & garlic and our entrees were pulled pork and crawfish etouffee (at least that's what I think it was).

We haven't been there for awhile so we should be making another visit before too long.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
        Re:WI restaurant without a fish fry? Sun, 11/18/12 3:02 PM (permalink)
        ScreamingChicken

Yes, it's true...there's at least one Wisconsin restaurant that doesn't have a Friday fish fry.

A couple of Fridays ago we went to Laz Bistro in Stoughton and there were only 2 seafood-only items on the menu: sesame-glazed salmon and tilapia in a Creole crawfish sauce over wild rice. My wife ordered the salmon ($10) and was happy with it (I'm not a big salmon eater and even I thought it was quite tasty), and the tilapia ($16) was superb. I can't remember everything in the sauce - it was creamy, with pieces of crawfish, garlic, scallions, tomatoes - but the flavor was outstanding and the fish itself was light and tender and not at all mushy. We skipped the appetizers and the portions were still more than enough to fill us.

It's just a little hole in the wall on Main St. (used to be a bar) but the food has been excellent every time we've been there. Plus there's good beer on tap and a decent wine selection, and it's not a wallet-buster.

Brad
        Hey SC...just discovered this little gem for a great fish fry. Check it out if ever in the neighborhood on Friday. They also have the fish ready for lunch.
        https://plus.google.com/1.../about?gl=us&hl=en

ScreamingChicken

Re:WI restaurant without a fish fry? Sun, 11/18/12 3:14 PM (permalink)
          Thanks!  Mrs. Chicken works at South Towne so I've been aware of South Bay for years, but we've never paid a visit.  She's scheduled to work on Black Friday so I'll ask her if she'd like to check it out for lunch.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
            Re:WI restaurant without a fish fry? Sun, 11/18/12 4:57 PM (permalink)
            ScreamingChicken

Thanks!  Mrs. Chicken works at South Towne so I've been aware of South Bay for years, but we've never paid a visit.  She's scheduled to work on Black Friday so I'll ask her if she'd like to check it out for lunch.
            Perfect! They have cod and catfish for Friday lunch. I've always gotten the cod...perfectly cooked and a fairly generous portion. Great fries and slaw as well. I might even be in there myself!

superfoods

• Total Posts: 6
              Re:WI restaurant without a fish fry? Wed, 01/23/13 12:35 AM (permalink)
              Wow!! That's delicious. I love to eat a fish without fry.

kateveber

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: WI restaurant without a fish fry? Mon, 09/9/13 9:29 AM (permalink)
                UncleVic

With good eats like that, who needs a fish fry?
                (If ya do it again, take some pics and share)..

I am agree with you that if they have quality food then who wants fish fry.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com