Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Howdy Beefburgers

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42
Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
Re:Howdy Beefburgers Tue, 01/25/11 3:07 AM (permalink)
It's amazing how many new posters this thread has brought out of the woodwork on this subject. Keep Posting!

Old Man

• Total Posts: 1
    Re:Howdy Beefburgers Sat, 07/9/11 9:23 PM (permalink)
    So I just watched History Detectives about a McDonalds clown suit and got me to thinking about Howdy's in Taunton Rte 44 that I would go to.  Then I thought about how there was either a Burger Chef or Burger Queen near it, McDonalds down the road and a Jack In The Box on the other side of town. I remember when you went there if you were from Somerset the Taunton jocks wanted to fight you.  Dighton boy, I was safe.  I hung out with a friend that was a dwarf and he owned a Ford Boss 302, he had to l´╗┐iterally slide off the seat to hit the breaks. The idea was to try to pick up girls.  I am still holding my breath.
    It was the first place I drank liquor, in the back parking lot.  A whole bottle of Tango. To this day I still don't drink.  The food was so much cheaper, but you got what you paid for.
    I remember doing a Ebay search a long time ago to start collecting Howdy's stuff and there was nothing.  Thanks for letting me ramble and good to see it wasn't a dream.

SCFP

RE: Howdy Beefburgers Wed, 07/13/11 10:45 AM (permalink)
      Yes, the Framingham (MA) locations are/were correct.  I worked (VERY briefly) at the Rt. 9 site - it was near the Rt. 126 / Rt. 9 junction - while I was in high school at Framingham North

The manager was a total a$$, whom would change the workers assigned hours DAYS after the schedule came out - and then had the nerve to get MAD at you if you missed (or were late) for a shift - AFTER he'd changed it w/o telling YOU.

Needless to say, this was the PRIME reason I left there ASAP, during the spring of '69.
      <message edited by SCFP on Wed, 07/13/11 10:50 AM>

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
        RE: Howdy Beefburgers Wed, 07/13/11 5:08 PM (permalink)
        At the East Hartford, CT location where I worked one summer, if you showed up and were ready for work 10-20 minutes early, the manager (who earned about 10 cents/ hr more than the minimum wage workers) would instruct us to clock in.  It took a while before we realized he would only document the actual hours assigned.   After leaving for college at the end of the summer, I went back to pick up my last paycheck.  I had already been removed from the payroll, but was talked into working another shift where the manager fed me a line that he was being transferred to a location near where I was going to school and that he would compensate for the hours when I was hired at that new location.  Hmm - I did take the new job, but never saw the manager or got that eight hours pay even after reporting it to the CT labor commission.  I was told there was no evidence I had worked that day.    

Skipcanavan

• Total Posts: 22
          Re:Howdy Beefburgers Sat, 07/30/11 11:20 PM (permalink)
          Old Man

So I just watched History Detectives about a McDonalds clown suit and got me to thinking about Howdy's in Taunton Rte 44 that I would go to.  Then I thought about how there was either a Burger Chef or Burger Queen near it, McDonalds down the road and a Jack In The Box on the other side of town. I remember when you went there if you were from Somerset the Taunton jocks wanted to fight you.  Dighton boy, I was safe.  I hung out with a friend that was a dwarf and he owned a Ford Boss 302, he had to l´╗┐iterally slide off the seat to hit the breaks. The idea was to try to pick up girls.  I am still holding my breath.
          It was the first place I drank liquor, in the back parking lot.  A whole bottle of Tango. To this day I still don't drink.  The food was so much cheaper, but you got what you paid for.
          I remember doing a Ebay search a long time ago to start collecting Howdy's stuff and there was nothing.  Thanks for letting me ramble and good to see it wasn't a dream.

Old Man....I grew up in Taunton (THS Class of '80)...and loved going to Howdy's on 44. Next door was a Burger Chef and downtown we had a Carrol's which became Burger King and moved onto 44 also.  The downton Tex Barry's HotDogs is still open I believe...I think it was once a large chain with only Taunton and Attleboro still open. And Tango...have not seen that since the mid-70's!

macpats

Re:Howdy Beefburgers Fri, 10/14/11 10:12 PM (permalink)
            hi all
            We had a howdy's in Saco,Maine right on the river. i remember the big one was a good burger. also one Halloween they gave kids free small burger,fries and small coke. we went 3 times changing costumes each time.  

rocker0n

Re:Howdy Beefburgers Sat, 07/28/12 2:43 PM (permalink)
              Hello!!. In 1970 I worked at Howdy Beef Burger in the South end in New Beford Ma. I ws the cook. I still have my Howdy Shirt!!. We had a Howdy's in New Bedford Ma. Way before McDonalds,Burger Chef or Burger King. When I got paid my check had the Dunkin Donut logo on it. Howdy's were owned by DD back then.

Howdycurious

RE: Howdy Beefburgers Mon, 10/28/13 11:35 PM (permalink)
                Could you tell me if Howdy's ever served fish?

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                  RE: Howdy Beefburgers Mon, 11/4/13 5:23 AM (permalink)
                  Howdycurious

Could you tell me if Howdy's ever served fish?

Yes.  They had a fish sandwich (starting in the mid 60's), but IMO, it compared poorly vs. McDonalds.  It was deep fried in the french fry fryer and was served on a grilled bun, similar to the burger buns with 1/2 slice of cheese.  I'm guessing the differences were a steamed bun with better quality tarter sauce and likely a better fish fillet as well at Mcdonalds.  It was NOT a big seller at the two locations where I worked. 
                  <message edited by mjambro on Mon, 11/4/13 5:25 AM>

ckolovson

Re:Howdy Beefburgers Tue, 01/7/14 6:35 PM (permalink)
                    I worked at the Howdy's in West Roxbury in the 1970s. "Howdy, may I help you?" 

kengug

RE: Howdy Beefburgers Sun, 01/12/14 5:45 PM (permalink)
                      Wow does this thread bring back memories. I worked at Howdy's on Rt 135 in Framingham for about 3 years in the late1970's. Man, did we have fun working there! Yes, we had fish, including fish sandwiches (cod), a haddock dinner, a shrimp dinner, and clam strips. And we had chowder (Snow`s) every day. Lester and Goldie owned the place, and their 20-something year old kids helped to manage it. Quite a cast of characters hung out there at the time. Us worker bees were a tight crew and we had a lot of fun, made a lot of memories. A closing shift was not complete without a little attitude adjustment in the back room during break. Those were the days, we were just too young to know it!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                        Re:Howdy Beefburgers Wed, 01/15/14 8:13 PM (permalink)
                        Perry-you are an idiot. And I suspect you are posting to get pictures of your stupid kitchen stuff.....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com