The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 55 of 55
Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Sat, 07/5/08 8:32 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

What about hod dog joints on this side of the Hudson River(Eastern), other than Soul Dog?
There is a place on Rte 82 in the town of Hopewell Junction, called "In the dog house". Also there is a sweet lady on the corner of Old Rte 9 and Myers Corners rd, which is good.
Mike

You are the first person to mention this. Tell us more???

seafarer john

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Sat, 07/5/08 10:13 AM (permalink)
    The famous old Texas Lunch which was for years (about 1930-1970) located on the corner of Main and Cherry Streets in Poughkeepsie, is still in business and serving up a traditional Texas Hot Wiener in a shop out on Rt 55, a couple of miles from its original location.

Cheers, John

Qshooter151

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Thu, 08/7/08 7:31 PM (permalink)
      there is Pams Bun n Run on rt44 in Pleasant Valley. there's also a stand on St Andrews road in Hyde park on the rt9 end. have never stopped at the latter.

John Sagi

• Total Posts: 146
        RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Wed, 08/20/08 4:10 PM (permalink)
        Hot Dog King
        Thank you for this forum. I have been collecting hot dog vendors throughout the country and will add what you have to my database. I would like permission to use your pictures on my site.

You have accomplished what I have been trying to explain to the vendors. I want to give recognition to the little guy with the pushcart on the side of the road. I feel a photo of their stand would help all to find them.

Please keep up the good work.

John

Matt Gleason

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Sat, 03/13/10 10:40 PM (permalink)
          Spring is in the air and hot dog vendors are cleaning up their carts and trailers preparing for another season!

As some of you have already seen on FB, I have started a preliminary report and will post locations and pics.

The report will include Orange, Ulster, Dutchess and Greene county, New York.

Matt Gleason

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Sun, 03/14/10 5:56 PM (permalink)
            Qshooter151

there is Pams Bun n Run on rt44 in Pleasant Valley. there's also a stand on St Andrews road in Hyde park on the rt9 end. have never stopped at the latter.

This is an older message but yes, I remember seeing one of them on my way to Poughkeepsie, not far from the Hyde Park Drive In.

SusieQuzie

• Total Posts: 13
              RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Fri, 04/16/10 1:18 AM (permalink)
              Just want to add a heads-up here....my husband Michael and I are opening the Pirates Lakeside Grill on Nassau Lake (266 Country Route 7) in Rennselaer County this June. It's an old hot dog/hamburg place that began during WW II but's been closed for a couple of years.

We're planning on serving 7 different dogs and 4 different burgers, including some locally raised, grassfed beef options.

This week, we rebuild the deck that hangs over the lake and paint our new picnic tables. 

You can check out our facebook page (PIRATES LAKESIDE GRILL) to see a picture of the place as it looks now, before sprucing up.

My husband has criss-crossed the country with good maps and the Stern's ROAD FOOD books at his side. Now we get to make a dream come true with a roadfood place of our very own.

Susie

<message edited by SusieQuzie on Fri, 04/16/10 1:22 AM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Fri, 04/16/10 8:44 AM (permalink)
                Hot Dog King

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by NAAMikey

What about hod dog joints on this side of the Hudson River(Eastern), other than Soul Dog?
                There is a place on Rte 82 in the town of Hopewell Junction, called "In the dog house". Also there is a sweet lady on the corner of Old Rte 9 and Myers Corners rd, which is good.
                Mike

[id="quote"]

You are the first person to mention this. Tell us more???

Hot Dog King, I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=431250&mpage=1#431263

Nice thread.

Matt Gleason

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Fri, 04/16/10 5:23 PM (permalink)
                  I did spot the one vendor on rte 9 last fall but was not able to stop.  They will be added to the list as well as any others I spot.

I checked out Nicks Hot Dogs II today, located on Rte 17K, Newburgh, NY.  She has her new truck stand parked in the Furniture Warehouse lot offering Sabrett NC and Hot Links with all the trimmings.

Happy Dog on Rte 211 in Montgomery, NY was out today.  His push cart is outside the village, before OC airport/ across from rte 416.  Offers Sabrett NC and basic trimmings.

More to come when the weather is warmer...

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Fri, 04/16/10 6:14 PM (permalink)
                    Hot Dog King ,

Thanks for the update on these Hudson Valley Hot Dog  stops , greatly appreciated

Benzee

NAAMikey

• Total Posts: 193
                      RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Tue, 04/27/10 4:24 PM (permalink)
                      Has anyone seen Poshi at all this year? She usually is on the corner of Old Rte 9 and Myers Corners Rd.
                      Mike

Matt Gleason

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Tue, 04/27/10 5:42 PM (permalink)
                        NAAMikey,
                        I have not been over that way yet.  Today is a prime example, it may be too cold yet to open a stand?  She is on the list though as well as a few others over there.

seafarer john

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Sun, 06/6/10 2:38 PM (permalink)
                          We visited Soul Dog in Poughkeepsie yesterday, after a too long absence. I had one with "Soul Dog" sauce and one with their unique hot peanut sauce. The "Soul Dog sauce is their version of Texas hot sauce - quite different from the usual Hudson Valley type, and very good. the peanut sauce is thin, brownish red, peppery hot, and really does a lot for a hot dog. I believe they sell Sabrett's hot dogs, but it is not important to me - it all about the sauce. 

In Soul Dog's short block of Main Street is a Jamaican Restaurant, a Pizza joint, and a well known old fashioned Italian restaurant, Albanese's. That could make a neat mini-tour in itself.

BTW: just down Main Street a few blocks is a small park on the riverfront - on a nice day it is a great spot to enjoy your Soul dogs.
                          (Soul Dog is a comfortale and spotless place to eat-in.) We discovered that if you tune your radio to 95.3fm while parked in the park you will be entertained  by a guy playing the Mid Hudson Bridge - and it is pretty entertaining. The guy beats on the  cables and railings and towers of the bridge with various hammers and sticks and produces credible, if somewhat offbeat, music.

Cheers, John   

neekidoodle

Re:Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Wed, 06/16/10 9:50 PM (permalink)
                            Hot Dog King

Hot dog carts and trailers

Nick's Hot Dogs - Truck -located in Newburgh, NY, on route 207 just past the route 300 intersection on the right.
                            Sabrett nc's with a variety of toppings. Homeade chili sauce was pretty good.

Ed's Bun On The Run - Cart - located in Montgomery, NY on route 17K just past the route 208 intersection, on the right next to the hardware store. Look for the Orange County Choppers store. He offers a number of brands plus a good italian sausage!

Fran's Hot Dogs - Custom enclosed S.S. Pushcart Trailer - located in Montgomery, NY on route 208 north just past the 17K intersection, on the left past the Mobil station.
                            Serves Sabrett nc's

Dugout Dogs - Cart - located in Walden, NY on route 208 and Lake Osiris road. He is there on weekdays only.

New York Dug Out Dogs - Rte 32 South, Odd Lot parking lot. Sabrett n/c hot dogs and Sabrett Hot Sausage.

Happy Dog - Rte 17K and Rte 416, Montgomery, NY. Sabrett n/c hot dogs with all the toppings.

Rte 52 Hot Dog Cart - Sabrett n/c steamed just right! Town of Newburgh, NY on route 52 south under the Thruway overpass. About a mile south of the route 300 intersection.

Captain Hot Dog - Rte 28 located at the Mt. Pleasant rest area just outside of Boiceville, NY. Great Sabrett hot dogs steamed with all the toppings. Captain Hot Dog has great chili dogs, all home made! See pictures below.

Olive General Store - Electric push cart- Rte 28, Olive Bridge, New York. Boar's head natural casing hot dogs. You can get all the typical toppings including an award winning chili rated by Al Roker.

Tommy's Hot Dogs -Truck- Rte 32 north, Tillson, NY. Sabrett n/c hot dogs with various toppings. Try the baked beans and cole slaw!

Hot Dog Shops

Kacey's Cafe - on route 208 north, Wallkill, NY is now serving Sabrett nc's. Her place is about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile north of the route 300 intersection

Texas Lunch - Rte 208, Wallkill, NY. Next to school bus depot. A real Texas Weiner in Ulster County, New York

Sammy C's - Rte 52, Newburgh, NY, just south of the Rte I84 jct.

Pete's Hot Dogs - Rte 9W South near armory. Regional favorite.

Soul Dog - Poughkeepsie, NY. They are known for their gluton free foods!

Coney Island Restaurant - Middletown, NY. Great Coney Dogs, regional favorite.

Rich's Hot Dogs - Middletown, NY. Sabrett n/c hot dogs steamed just right. The Coney Dogs are great too.

Dallas Hot Wieners - Kingston, NY. Two locations in Kingston and one in Saugerties, NY. They have their own variation of Texas Weiners. Regional favorite.

ENJOY!

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                              Re:Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Sat, 06/19/10 10:43 AM (permalink)
                              Hello all ,

A new hot dog truck just off rt 17 exit 113 in Wurtsboro , sabretts
                              2 dollar dogs and 1 dollar sodas
                              Nothin special but if you are in the area not much else till you hit Middletown and nothin going the other way that Im aware of

Benzee

SusieQuzie

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Wed, 08/25/10 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                PLease don't forget us! We're new this year, but we've already got loyal repeat customers. PIRATES LAKESIDE GRILL () located on Nassau Lake on County Route 7.

Lots of pictures on our website! We're open Fri. and Sat 11am to 9pm and Sunday 11 am to 6pm. With hotdogs ranging from Zwiegle's to Usinger's to a local nitrate-free grassfed beef dog, we've got 'em all.

Thanks!
                                Susie

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                                  RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Wed, 08/25/10 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                  Susie,

Are the Usinger's dogs you serve their all beef franks? Their German style beef/pork dogs are very good, but their angus beef franks are outstanding. One of my top 2 favorite beef dogs. They are unavailable in N.J. I have to order them by mail. If you serve them I might make a stop soon.

SusieQuzie

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Wed, 08/25/10 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                    John,

This season we are carrying Usinger's beef/pork weiner, their Polish smoked sausage, and their 1/4 lb. knackwurst (which is also beef and pork.)

We are considering the all beef weiner for next season, and your high marks for the product are encouraging! Stay tuned for updates and thank you.

Susie

SusieQuzie

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Wed, 05/25/11 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                      For you hot dog lovers out there, I'm very excited to tell you that our road food place, PIRATES LAKESIDE GRILL in Nassau, NY, is back for our second season. Our menu includes Usinger's hot dogs, Polish sausage, and knackwurst; Zweigle's whites and reds; Nathan's; as well as a great fish fry, local, organic grassfed beef burgers and bison burgers, and homemade chili!

For this season, we built a beautiful deck that extends right out over the lake for your road food dining pleasure. 

Last season, we had, in addition to the usual cars, trucks, and motorcycles, people came for our hospitality and food on horseback, on a tractor, on ATVs, by motorboat, canoe, and kayak. Also on foot from our neighborhood----we are the only retail business on the lake!

My husband Michael and I would be honored to have RoadFood visitors to our establishment!
                                      Susie

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                                        RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Wed, 05/25/11 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                        Did you add the Usinger's beef dogs? Or are you going with their beef/pork franks?

Gilberts Sausages

• Total Posts: 31
                                          RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Fri, 05/27/11 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                          I say they add the FROMAN!!  

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                            RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Fri, 05/27/11 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                            http://pirateslakesidegrill.com/

Nice dog selection, best of luck!

SusieQuzie

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Fri, 06/3/11 8:25 AM (permalink)
                                              John, we've still got the beef/pork mix from Usinger's.  We've also got their Polish sausage and their Knackwurst, both of which are awesome.

This year, we're selling a lot of local, organic grassfed beef burgers and organic local bison burgers. I'm really proud of our menu.

I just got a recipe for fabulous bacon cookies----yes, bacon cookies! They go swell with a hot dog or burger and I'm gonna try and up the quantities so I can sell 'em along with our soft serve for dessert.

Susie

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                                RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Fri, 08/3/12 7:20 PM (permalink)

Stopping for Frankfurters on a Secret Mission

MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. --- (Combined Dispatches) -- Greetings to all my hot dog enthusiast friends and all the ships at sea.

Recently ensconced in the Western Catskills on a secret mission, a brief escape to Middletown, N.Y., brought me to Coney Island Restaurant, home of the much lauded chili dog. Actually, more the chili, not as much the dog.

Along with the memories of past junkets to this rather famous hot dog stop, I had two dogs all the way (chili, mustard and chopped raw onion). The waitress informed that the grilled hot dogs I was served were Tyson’s. ‘Gee, they’ve changed a couple times in the last few years,’ I thought to myself. It was Tobin’s 1st Prize when first I crossed the Island’s threshold.

“Tyson’s?” I asked, “I didn’t know they made hot dogs.” She assured me that they did … both pork and beef. I’m assuming the pork dog also contained beef, or perhaps chicken or turkey. I’ll ask Q to look that up.

In any case, I ordered the pork, which I prefer when going either the chili, Coney, or Texas Weiner route, or, for that matter, any of the various and controversial permutations in-between.

The dog, probably a skinless, 10-to-a-lb., was OK, nothing special, but proved a suitable saddle for the iconic chili. You know, that cinnamon, cumin, or whatever it is that echoes of “Secret Recipe” in chili dog-serving venues throughout the Hudson Valley, Eastern Pennsylvania, and parts of N.J. Real good. So was the service.

This is still a nice place, despite its location near a bus station populated by folks that suggest how your brother-in-law might turn out if he doesn’t get a job….its hospitableness and Hot Dog Landmark status key reasons for a visit….and yes, the chili. It’d be really great if they served, let’s say, a Thumann’s, or a Hoffman’s, or a Sahlen. But then, so would World Peace.

Prior to that visit, a surprise had awaited at the Nathan’s franchise in the Galleria Mall in Middletown….a really good, perfectly prepared frankfurter….a Nathan’s frankfurter as good as any you’ll get at the original spot in Coney Island….the one in Brooklyn. No sound or smell of the surf, though.

I have long held that Nathan’s is the most lax fast food chain insofar as overseeing their franchisees. I’ve been to several that, well…..just weren’t up to snuff…that could have been cleaner, better managed, and more possessing of the pizzazz and soul that a true hot dog enthusiast is looking for in a purveyor of the wiener.

But, this was different.

The large, corner hot dog stand in the food court was spic ‘n’ span, the help bright eyed and enthusiastic (from my angle, I couldn’t see if they were bushy-tailed), and the dogs on the flat grill were apparently there for just the right amount of time. They were of the natural casing variety. As my friend Sam, a noted private eye, might have said, I didn’t need X-ray vision to see the snap.

I ordered a chili dog. It was quite good, possessing just the right, anticipated explosion of flavor and served good and hot, although the basic, medium dark brown chili, while tasty enough in a rather usual way, was curious in that it was loaded with what I assume was beef….almost as much in weight as a quarter of the dog….which was, I imagine, an 8-to-a-lb. While I don’t quite like that much ground meat in my chili, I guess the value-conscious consumer looking to fill up might not complain too heartily. Things are tough all around.

I had thoughts of making it to Pete’s in Newburgh, N.Y., one of my 5 favorite hot dog emporia in the whole wide world, but it was getting late. I was, after all, on a secret mission of the utmost importance, and I feared I’d arrive at Pete’s after closing. How would it look?

Besides, there was a bakery in Livingston Manor that called out to me earlier in the day as I slingshotted down 17 toward Middletown in the Bearcat.

The Catskills in summer, just a couple hours before it gets dark, have their very own temperature like no other in the land … a special, comfortable coolness that brings a haunting happiness to anyone who has traversed its back roads, and even its highways when they are not filled with vacationers going to and fro. It is a splendid loneliness, especially enjoyed in a roadster….the tall, ultra-green trees darkening a very special way to visually declare the enchantment. You are alone, but with everyone. It’s the only time I allow myself to be transcendental.

I pulled my handbrake up at the bakery. The blueberry streusel tart and  cup of coffee from a specially made, fresh pot of coffee, even though they were closing in half an hour, just about made up for forgoing Pete’s. She also had a nice smile.

“What year Stutz is that, a ‘20 or ‘21?”

“Why, hey, a ’20 … not bad. Great streusel, too.”

“Yeah, ’20, figures, still right hand drive. We’ll have blueberry pie by the slice tomorrow.”

So that’s it for now, friends. Keep your eyes on this space for more hot dog news as the Fates allow it to happen.

The Bear

Disney1Fan

RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands Tue, 07/23/13 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                                  I was wondering if Pam's Bun N Run is the same stand that was just outside of the town in 1980? I thought the stand I used to frequent was called Sis's Bun N Run and it was great! I was always trying to figure the chili recipe with no success. I am still looking for the chili recipe. If any one could help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 55 of 55

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com