Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

When K-mart sold sub's

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42
Midwestgirl

• Total Posts: 26
When K-mart sold sub's Tue, 08/7/07 6:02 PM (permalink)
I am looking for the recipe and or combination they used. I think they used a deli water ham, thinly sliced onion and maybe some shredded lettuce. They just tasted so different. Any other ideas.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
    RE: When K-mart sold sub's Tue, 08/7/07 6:33 PM (permalink)
    The ones I remember from Kresge's, then K-Mart had the ham and bologna and american cheese. I remember a miracle whip type dressing with yellow mustard on a soft bun. You could get round ones for $.39, a long hoagie type one for $.49.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
      RE: When K-mart sold sub's Tue, 08/7/07 8:42 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Midwestgirl

I am looking for the recipe and or combination they used. I think they used a deli water ham, thinly sliced onion and maybe some shredded lettuce. They just tasted so different. Any other ideas.
      Sounds like what i remember. Very thinly sliced onion right? For some reason i used to always get those things. Guess i liked them!

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
        RE: When K-mart sold sub's Tue, 08/7/07 9:09 PM (permalink)
        I remember the boiled ham, fer sure. Tasty... San Juan, PR circa '67. Indeed a while back... As I remember they freshly sliced per order back then.

BigDave67

• Total Posts: 81
          RE: When K-mart sold sub's Thu, 08/9/07 12:28 AM (permalink)
          I remember back in the Mid 70s,My Mom would bring those home. They were SO GOOD!

jajarino68

• Total Posts: 152
            RE: When K-mart sold sub's Fri, 08/10/07 12:13 PM (permalink)
            My mother worked for the cafeteria that K-mart had and would always bring home those ham sandwiches, a strawberry pie, or they had warm apple dumplings I used to like.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
              RE: When K-mart sold sub's Fri, 08/10/07 6:23 PM (permalink)
              And of course a cherry slurpee to wash it all down.

I almost forgot the Kmart had cafeterias. I mostly remember the food kisoks in the center of the store.

ChopChop

• Total Posts: 46
                RE: When K-mart sold sub's Fri, 08/10/07 6:29 PM (permalink)

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                  RE: When K-mart sold sub's Fri, 08/10/07 8:14 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by ChopChop

http://www.techievampire.net/roberta/?p=10%20-%2028k

Just add pickles!

Thankx 'fer the link!

tangerine

• Total Posts: 13
                    RE: When K-mart sold sub's Fri, 08/10/07 8:20 PM (permalink)
                    The Kresge subs ... 49 cents in 1968 ... I once had eight of them. They were great although now most people wouldn't agree. Wrapped in plastic in a big bin ...

ShenB

• Total Posts: 129
                      RE: When K-mart sold sub's Sat, 08/11/07 10:05 PM (permalink)
                      Here in West Michigan at the Local K-Marts they had a basic sub ($.39ea or 3 for a buck) that cosisted of sesame seed bun, 2 1/2 slices of bologna and one 1/2 slice of salami. 2 strips of American cheese 2 paper thin slices of onion and green peppers. I distinctly remember the green pepper because I always took it off and gave it to my GF. A bag of 3 and a couple of Cokes (still in glass bottles back then) and life was good in 1970.

The also used to sell these when they operated Kresgees in downtown Grand Rapids and had them there when we road the bus downtown to hit a double feature at the Savoy Theater around the corner.

ShenB

• Total Posts: 129
                        RE: When K-mart sold sub's Sat, 08/11/07 10:15 PM (permalink)
                        Oh Yes,
                        I forgot to mention that they also included some shredded lettuce and later on they dropped the green pepper slices and substituted a couple of dill pickle chips. Most everyone added a little packet of mustard to comple the sandwich.

After thes subs sat a day or two in the refrigerated glass case the flavors all blended into a unique flavor that is sure to bring memories of the 60's 70's

I remember

rare i

• Total Posts: 6
                          RE: When K-mart sold sub's Thu, 08/16/07 11:31 PM (permalink)
                          They used that faked baked ham with the Jelly coating on it. I remember it well, my mom used to buy it by the pound and I remember peeling off the jelly (I don't really know what the coating was, I hate to even think about) before I ate it.

chriscubva

• Total Posts: 118
                            RE: When K-mart sold sub's Mon, 08/27/07 1:02 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by rare i

They used that faked baked ham with the Jelly coating on it. I remember it well, my mom used to buy it by the pound and I remember peeling off the jelly (I don't really know what the coating was, I hate to even think about) before I ate it.

same stuff used on spam?

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                              RE: When K-mart sold sub's Wed, 08/29/07 10:10 AM (permalink)
                              anyone remember going to Woolworths for a counter lunch? I can't seem to remember the main menu, but i do recall the balloons you popped and inside was the price you paid for a banana split. My mom and I (i was 5-6yrs old) would walk to the post office north side of chicago and stop in for a treat.truly a retro experience.

Goobzilla

• Total Posts: 43
                                RE: When K-mart sold sub's Fri, 08/31/07 12:43 AM (permalink)
                                The K-Mart by my house in Denver (84th & Huron-ish, IIRC) when I was growing up had the best deli ham in town. Always a treat when Mom brought that home. The wife and I were talking about it the other day, she said the K-mart over by her Grandma's house (over by Lakeside) had it as well and that was her dad's favorite too.

LarryKoc

• Total Posts: 1
                                  RE: When K-mart sold sub's Thu, 04/3/08 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                  I used to love these when I was a kid...I have been trying to remember what was on them for years. Thanks a million!!

[

quote]Originally posted by ShenB

Here in West Michigan at the Local K-Marts they had a basic sub ($.39ea or 3 for a buck) that cosisted of sesame seed bun, 2 1/2 slices of bologna and one 1/2 slice of salami. 2 strips of American cheese 2 paper thin slices of onion and green peppers. I distinctly remember the green pepper because I always took it off and gave it to my GF. A bag of 3 and a couple of Cokes (still in glass bottles back then) and life was good in 1970.

The also used to sell these when they operated Kresgees in downtown Grand Rapids and had them there when we road the bus downtown to hit a double feature at the Savoy Theater around the corner.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                    RE: When K-mart sold sub's Thu, 04/3/08 1:59 PM (permalink)
                                    I remember them fondly as well.
                                    Me and my 5 brothers,sisters and parents could eat an entire bag of them. With real Frozen Cokes. And you are right I remember the huge squares of ham with gelatin. Didnt they call it chopped ham?...Russ

IansMom

• Total Posts: 394
                                      RE: When K-mart sold sub's Thu, 04/3/08 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                      Here in Louisville, they still have them...

Big Kahuna Kooks

RE: When K-mart sold sub's Thu, 04/3/08 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                        OMG.....imagine that. Now thats a time warp.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                          RE: When K-mart sold sub's Thu, 04/3/08 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by IansMom

Here in Louisville, they still have them...

Are they still good?...Russ

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                            RE: When K-mart sold sub's Fri, 04/4/08 1:54 AM (permalink)
                                            The glaze was a sweet gelatin and I loved it. My Mom would buy it by the lb too, It was the first sweet ham I ever had. In those days it was pullmans in the meat counter. The sandwiches mustar, thin onion and pickle made the deal/
                                            At the end of the day, the blue light special wuld do the ham on a bun at 6 for a buck and subs 3 for a buc
                                            britt

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                              RE: When K-mart sold sub's Fri, 04/4/08 3:36 AM (permalink)
                                              I think our K-Mart might still have them --- they have a dining area. They also have a pretty good hot dog and fries.

Andrea

KatAustin

• Total Posts: 14
                                                RE: When K-mart sold sub's Mon, 04/14/08 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                                I remember the sandwhiches. We used to shopping at K-marts after chuch as a little gril. Then go sit in the car and have a K-Mart sub with a shared bottle of pepsi.

Mom used to work for k-mart and she made subs. She was also the one who was responsible for how you saw the subs displayed in the case.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                                  RE: When K-mart sold sub's Tue, 04/15/08 6:28 AM (permalink)
                                                  Our Kmart has a fast food stand. I remember when they all had sit down diners with booths and a counter complete with a full menu9wed was all you could eat chicken. Awesome as there were no buffets back in the early 60's Denver area). It reminded me of the old woolworts diner.
                                                  Now its dogs, nachos and slurpee's
                                                  britt

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1931
                                                    RE: When K-mart sold sub's Tue, 04/15/08 7:21 AM (permalink)
                                                    I don't recall the subs per se, but I sure do miss the lunch counters at Kresge, Woolworth, and McCrory's.

Did G.C. Murphy and Kress Stores have lunch counters?

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Location: palm beach, FL
                                                      RE: When K-mart sold sub's Wed, 04/30/08 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                                      I had my first BLT at a woolworth counter.

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
                                                        • Location: Beacon Falls, CT
                                                        RE: When K-mart sold sub's Wed, 04/30/08 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                                        I have never eaten in a K-Mart. I do remember going to Eckerd's in FLA. for 2 eggs, bacon, grits, and toast or biscuit for .99

tiggs

• Total Posts: 22
                                                          • Location: Philadelphia, PA
                                                          RE: When K-mart sold sub's Wed, 04/30/08 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by MellowRoast

I don't recall the subs per se, but I sure do miss the lunch counters at Kresge, Woolworth, and McCrory's.

Did G.C. Murphy and Kress Stores have lunch counters?

The G.C. Murphy near me in Havertown, PA had a lunch counter up untill the mid 80s.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                                            • Location: Baltimore, MD
                                                            RE: When K-mart sold sub's Wed, 04/30/08 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                                            Baltimore had a G.C. Murphy at the Eastpoint Mall. I'm pretty sure they had a lunch counter.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com