The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Original Candy Lipstick

chicagolove

• Total Posts: 8
Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 08/8/07 7:32 PM (permalink)
Does anyone remember the candy lipstick that was half wrapped in gold foil and then fully wrapped in clear cellophane? About 2 to 3" long and sold with other penny candies in the 60's and 70's. It was very sweet and kind of grainy, chalky. You could actually color your lips with it; probably the red dye. Now they try to sell the "candy lipstick" with sweet tarts and a plastic cover...YUK!

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
    RE: Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 08/8/07 7:48 PM (permalink)
    I remember them fondly.

TooPhat

• Total Posts: 121
      RE: Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 08/8/07 8:04 PM (permalink)
      I loved those lipsticks! They not only had a taste all their own, they also had a certain smell to them.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
        RE: Original Candy Lipstick Thu, 08/9/07 10:44 AM (permalink)
        I too, loved them. I "googled" them and like most good things they have been discontinued.

Jodyd

RE: Original Candy Lipstick Tue, 08/14/07 9:52 PM (permalink)
          If I remember correctly they were like a sort of red in color, and were made of some sort of soft ingriedient. They were very good in taste and I ate many growing up as a kid. Does anyone remember the little Candy Treasure Chests you could get filled with
          candy, but I also think they contained small toys too. What happened to ALL the great candy ideas of the 60's, 70's and even part of the 80's?

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
            RE: Original Candy Lipstick Tue, 08/14/07 10:07 PM (permalink)
            I used to like the big SweetTarts, too. Just plain, old, big SweetTarts... . Mm.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
              RE: Original Candy Lipstick Tue, 08/14/07 10:13 PM (permalink)
              I remember they were in the core group of penny candies that I would buy at Woolworth's.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                RE: Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 08/15/07 10:54 AM (permalink)
                I always loved Astro Pops and they were sold up until about a year ago and have been discontinued too. I find a pretty good selection of retro style candy at the Dollar Tree (those candies that are still left).

nicolem

• Total Posts: 153
                  RE: Original Candy Lipstick Thu, 08/16/07 8:00 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Jodyd

If I remember correctly they were like a sort of red in color, and were made of some sort of soft ingriedient. They were very good in taste and I ate many growing up as a kid. Does anyone remember the little Candy Treasure Chests you could get filled with
                  candy, but I also think they contained small toys too. What happened to ALL the great candy ideas of the 60's, 70's and even part of the 80's?

I know growing up as a kid in the 70's there were great candies- and actually penny and 2cent candies. I remember the Candy Treasure Chests too.

Jodyd

RE: Original Candy Lipstick Mon, 08/20/07 7:50 PM (permalink)
                    You are right, the 70's showed us GREAT candy and snack ideas. Glad
                    you also remember the Candy Treasure Chests. Those were wonderful days when you could actually get candies or bubble gum for 1 cent.
                    The days of the "Pull Lever" candy vending machines, and the glass
                    returnable bottle pepsi's and coke, and 7-up. There were also gum
                    that came in a flat almost wallet sized pack. The flavors were Grape,
                    Apple, Regular, and maybe one other. Does that gum sound familiar? I
                    can't recall the name of it, but it was available in the 70's.

I know growing up as a kid in the 70's there were great candies- and actually penny and 2cent candies. I remember the Candy Treasure Chests too.

gwilliams

• Total Posts: 1
                      Re:Original Candy Lipstick Tue, 06/16/09 5:53 PM (permalink)
                      I searched a lot of candy stores looking for these.  The Blair Candy Store told me they were discontinued because the red dye they used came from China.  I was trying to find the original manufacturer of this candy.  If anyone knows please let me know.

I loved this candy as a kid.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                        Re:Original Candy Lipstick Tue, 06/16/09 9:33 PM (permalink)
                        if all that stuff was bad for us, how come we're not all dead?

greenthumbjan

• Total Posts: 2
                          Re:Original Candy Lipstick Mon, 11/22/10 5:24 PM (permalink)
                          I found it.  They are called flipsticks, cherry taffy.  and you can order them.  here is the website

boxcarbob

Re:Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 06/15/11 7:26 PM (permalink)
                            gwilliams

I searched a lot of candy stores looking for these.  The Blair Candy Store told me they were discontinued because the red dye they used came from China.  I was trying to find the original manufacturer of this candy.  If anyone knows please let me know.

I loved this candy as a kid.

I, like hundreds if not thousands of others, would also like to find the ORIGINAL type of candy lipsticks.  The "flipsticks" are not them - although they appear similar.  The originals were chalk-like.  I've searched all over the web and the consensus is that they are "discontinued" but the next questions are who manufactured them and where can we find the recipe?  There seem to be enough people interested that some candy company (large or small) could make a special run if only we could find the recipe.  Surely SOMEone has researched this.  Please share and let's make this happen.  We can get around the red dye issue - the color isn't what interests me, it's the taste!

Pea

• Total Posts: 4
                              Re:Original Candy Lipstick Thu, 10/6/11 12:22 AM (permalink)
                              I don't remember it being chalky.  More like real lipstick.  It disappeared about the time it was determined that Red Dye #5 was killing people. 

lanzi

Re:Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 03/6/13 8:55 PM (permalink)
                                Did you ever find where they sell those candy lipsticks with the cellophane top and gold bottom wrapper?
                                Dying to have some of these again.
                                Thanks and take care...

JanetPelle

• Total Posts: 27
                                  Re:Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 04/24/13 3:50 PM (permalink)
                                  Oh I used to love those! They tasted horrible but were so much fun!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                                    Re:Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 04/24/13 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                    Yes!  They tasted horribly good.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1493
                                      Re:Original Candy Lipstick Wed, 04/24/13 10:46 PM (permalink)
                                      Alas, not into cross-dressing as a child, I don't remember them.........but those candy cigarettes.......OMG..........there was taste to them that was wonderful.  I could only "look cool" for about 5 seconds before eating them

I know, no longer PC and probably caused me to go onto a life-ling nicotine binge..but damn they were good

Gianetti

• Total Posts: 3
                                        Re:Original Candy Lipstick Fri, 05/3/13 8:19 PM (permalink)
                                        I remember them. I think they were wrapped partway with gold foil and celophane all around. Had their own unique flavor and texture. Kind of cherry-ish and soft yet sort of crumbly too. I loved those. I remember the treasure chests too. I loved them and I'm not sure why because I don't recall the candy being that great or the little trinkets. Must've been all about the treasure chest.

hannahbannah

• Total Posts: 31
                                          Re:Original Candy Lipstick Sat, 05/4/13 10:32 PM (permalink)
                                          Yummies.com has candies of childhood.  The lipstick they have is the newer, cheap, no wrapper version.  I got some for my Grandaughter when I was at the store in Maine.  Great place if you  are in the area.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com