The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct?

DavidEMartin

• Total Posts: 173
Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/10/08 3:20 PM (permalink)
It's been ages since I've seen Chocolate Marshmallow ice cream available here in Milwaukee. It was my childhood fave. Unfortunately my inner child is getting frustrated at the lack of success searching the freezer aisles.
HEY, ICE CREAM MAKERS!!!! ENOUGH OF THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH, OKAY????? EVERYONE IS ALREADY MAKING ONE OR TWO C-C-C-D VARIETIES! HOW ABOUT ONE OR TWO OF YOU MAKE A NICE CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOW???
Especially you, "Klondike"! Under your real name of ISALY you made a truly heavenly Chocolate Mashmallow ice cream in the 60s.

mrmet6986

• Total Posts: 22
    RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/10/08 3:48 PM (permalink)
    Hershey's Ice cream use to have a good Chocolate Marshmallow.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
      RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/10/08 6:00 PM (permalink)
      Doesn't Roundy's or Blue Bunny make one?

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
        RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/10/08 9:21 PM (permalink)
        Chocolate Marshmallow is my favorite. I can do without the nuts in Rocky Road. In my area, we have United Dairy Farmers, which makes a great Chocolate Marshmallow, so I don't have to do without. I don't see any national brands that make it anymore.

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
          RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/10/08 9:22 PM (permalink)
          A way to quench your craving is to buy a good chocolate ice cream and a marshmallow topping, for a chocolate marshmallow sundae.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
            RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/10/08 10:00 PM (permalink)
            I am addicted to chocolate covered marshmallows in any form.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
              RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/10/08 10:39 PM (permalink)
              that's SO ironic, as I just had a scoop of homemade choc marshmallow today from a place called Brusters Ice Cream in Washington Township, NJ that I stumbled upon (after my FatJacks BBQ).

(along with a scoop of choc. chip)

It was a cold, windy day for ice cream, but I could'nt pass up to try somewhere (homemade!) I had'nt been before

I do agree with you; there's not as much choc marshmallow as there used to be...

however, WaWa (like a 7-11 , but better) still makes it, so next time you are in NJ or PA , pick up a pint...

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Tue, 02/12/08 7:46 AM (permalink)

"GooGoo Clusters" packaged under several brand names uses a carmel and marshmallow swirl thru chocolate ice cream. They also have peanuts in there somewhere too. Another that may or may not have nuts added is "Heavenly Hash". Under several brands, it is a choc/marshmallow like the old time verion.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                  RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Fri, 02/15/08 3:54 PM (permalink)
                  Maybe it's too regional, but Brown's Velvet makes a heavenly hash ice cream, big chunks of almonds, marshmallow, and chocolate.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                    RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Fri, 02/15/08 4:06 PM (permalink)
                    Braums(a regional chain in Texas and Oklahoma) has it sometimes. I wish they had black raspberry I know in central new york Byrnes Dairy has both.

toto11

• Total Posts: 46
                      RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sat, 02/16/08 12:00 PM (permalink)
                      http://bluebell.com/What_Were_Crankin_Out/our_icecream.aspx

Blue Bell has a Chocolate Almond Marshmellow, rotating it looks like.

phlmaestro

RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Thu, 02/21/08 5:59 PM (permalink)
                        I like the addition of the nuts. Just last week I bought a container of Turkey Hill rocky road for the first time and was really blown away. The ice cream had plenty of chocolate flavor and there was a lot of marshmellow in there, as well as a good helping of almonds. I plan to make this at least a semi-regular purchase.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                          RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/24/08 9:18 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by phlmaestro

I like the addition of the nuts. Just last week I bought a container of Turkey Hill rocky road for the first time and was really blown away. The ice cream had plenty of chocolate flavor and there was a lot of marshmellow in there, as well as a good helping of almonds. I plan to make this at least a semi-regular purchase.

I was reading this thread and thinking of Turkey Hill. They have the perfect kind of marshmallow veins in theirs.

There is a candy store on Route 222 in Breinigsville PA (between Allentown and Kutztown) named Premise Maid that has an unusual and delicious choc. marsh. ice cream - very dark fudgey chocolate with teensy whole marshmallows in it.

http://www.premisemaid.com/cgi-bin/ShopCart.pl?uid=672A9NQWAA862513&rootdir=/home/httpd/vhosts/premisemaid.com/httpdocs&ice_creamery=1

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                            RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sun, 02/24/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                            Turkey Hill from Amish Country makes some decent flavors...some with Marshmallow...and pretty good, I agree.

RSMBob

• Total Posts: 21
                              RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Thu, 08/29/13 9:02 PM (permalink)
                              Ok, this topic is old but so am I...
                              When I was a kid, ice cream was vanilla, chocolate, chocolate chip, strawberry, neopolitan....or chocoalte marshmallow. Now we've got 70 billion flavors but choc marshmallow has disappeared for years. Today at Target I found their house brand Market Pantry S'Mores flavor, and after just devouring a dish, I gift it a thumbs up. Definitely brought me back to my childhood.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Fri, 08/30/13 8:55 AM (permalink)
                                ynotryme

Braums(a regional chain in Texas and Oklahoma) has it sometimes. I wish they had black raspberry I know in central new york Byrnes Dairy has both.

Indeed!  I saw it in their (Braum's) freezer only yesterday.  http://www.braums.com/

"Back in the day", High's Dairy Stores were all over VA, MD, and DE and always had a wonderful Chocolate Marshmallow available, often on sale for 99 cents (1970's). 

Watching an O's game on TV I noticed a High's sign in Camden Yards and assumed they were still in business.  They are, but they are focused more on gasolene!  www.highsdairystores.com

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                  RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Fri, 08/30/13 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                  leethebard

Turkey Hill from Amish Country makes some decent flavors...some with Marshmallow...and pretty good, I agree.

Turkey Hill does a kick a** Chocolate Marshmallow 

Southern Fried

• Total Posts: 63
                                    RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Fri, 08/30/13 4:04 PM (permalink)
                                    I looked in Kroger today and they carried Turkey Hill Chocolate Marshmallow, as well as Mayfield Chocolate Marshmallow Classic Ice Cream.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Sat, 08/31/13 2:37 AM (permalink)
                                      Mayfield's version is very good. As is the 'Kroger Delux' version. I still resent the shrinking of the 1/2 gallon pkg to 48 oz, but have to have my fix so I buy it anyway. If the flavor contains almonds I tend to redeposit them in the box or bowl for disposal after the cream is gone.

joclyn

• Total Posts: 360
                                        RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Mon, 09/9/13 2:38 AM (permalink)
                                        ben & jerry's physh food is good.  it does have chunks of fudge pieces in it and some bit of caramel swirl alongside the marshmallow.  it's been my go-to for as long as it's been available.

i do get your basic chocolate marshmallow at a (kind of) local dairy - merrymead farms.  i don't usually make a special trip, if i am going to the vet's and they are open when i'm on my way home, i'll stop in.  i used to make special trip for the ice cream - it's not made as well as it used to be now though :(

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Has Chocolate Marshmallow gone extinct? Tue, 09/10/13 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                          Southern Fried

I looked in Kroger today and they carried Turkey Hill Chocolate Marshmallow, as well as Mayfield Chocolate Marshmallow Classic Ice Cream.

Finishing a bowl as I type

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com