Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chuck Eye Steak

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40
jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 8:38 AM (permalink)
I have always seen them in the meat section but never gave them a shot because Im a T-Bone, Ribeye,Strip Steak kind of Guy.But last night I picked up a couple for like two dollars and something.Well,I gave them a quick marinate and threw them in my cast iron grill skillett cooked med rare,let rested then I put them in the oven for a few minutes and all I can say is WOW!What have I been missing!The flavor was there and vey tender also.I will never look down on this cut of meat again.

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
    RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 8:43 AM (permalink)
    They're great! Remember, chuck eye, not chuck steaks.
    Good fat content, beefy flavor, affordable....until
    everyone reads this and the price starts going up to
    meet demand! Nevermind!

jimsock9

• Total Posts: 285
      RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 8:45 AM (permalink)
      Way to go, jellybear! Chuck Eye steaks are our #1 favorite, followed by Porterhouse and N.Y. Strip!
      I had Chuck Eye, medium rare, last night and I'm having one today. It's the best (to us)!!!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
        RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 9:22 AM (permalink)
        According to[url='http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html']Cook's Thesaurus[/url] the chuck eye is also known as mock tender, chuck fillet/filet, chuck tender, and Scotch tender. The Piggly Wiggly I shop at usually uses the "mock tender" term.

Brad

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6079
          RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 9:24 AM (permalink)
          hey,thanks for the tip...always thought they were just a chuck steak> Live and learn!!!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
            RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 11:39 AM (permalink)
            Nothing better than a good chuck steak on a charcoal grill, to me anyway.
            More bang for your buck. Very versital also, cubbed makes for a great beef stew and ground for burgers. I mix some ground chuck with some ground fresh briscit for a great burger. Chow Jim

jellybear

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 1:31 PM (permalink)
              Actually its a Chuck Blade Steak,I went back just a minute ago and got a couple more.Are they suitable for Stir Frying?

jimsock9

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 1:41 PM (permalink)
                At Publix here in south Florida, the Chuck Blade steak is the same as the Mock Tender, both of which are nothing spectacular (I never buy them anymore)....but the Chuck Eye steak, well, it's great!

bigdog540

• Total Posts: 101
                  RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 4:17 PM (permalink)
                  Guys,
                  there is a difference between Chuck Eye and blade. Chuck Eye is the cut next to the Rib Eye, it's just forward on the animal from the loin/rib section. Chuck blade is from the shoulder, not the same tenderness or fat to lean ratio. The blade is a real working muscle, the Chuck Eye does less and is therefore more tender. There are only a couple of chuck eye steaks per chuck (front quarter) so only about four steaks per animal. That makes 'em harder to find in the supermarket. And if the butcher is in the mood for steak, there's a good chance he's taking them home with him. My father was a butcher and Chuck Eyes were the only steaks he'd bring home.

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                    RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 4:22 PM (permalink)
                    I see visions of Alton Brown standing in front of a cow diagram.

cementhead

• Total Posts: 120
                      RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 4:35 PM (permalink)
                      Some of our local markets sell something they call chuck delmonico.These steaks are very good.Are these the same as chuck eye?

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                        RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 4:50 PM (permalink)
                        I learned from my Mom, who grew up during the Depression, that chuck, although cheaper has really great taste. I use ground chuck for my burgers and meatloaf, chuck roast for my pot roast and first cut chuck steaks all the time. As long as you know how to cook or tenderize chuck it really does have great flavor. And the cheaper price doesn't hurt.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3556
                          RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 5:10 PM (permalink)
                          I've had the chuck eyes before (sold here as mock tender) and yes, they were tasty. No confusing them for a tenderloin, but a nice steak if you want something different.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                            RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 5:33 PM (permalink)
                            My local Shop Rite supermarket calls them "charcoal steaks". I'm not sure why but they are a favorite with my oldest daughter who wants to really "chew" her meat. No falling off the bone meat for her. She's not fond of pot roast or ribs that have meat "falling off the bone". She is now 18 but I always got a kick out of waitresses when she would question them(at age 9 or 10 or so) as to how tender the ribs were at wherever we were eating. If the waitress gushed about how tender they were, she would totally roll her eyes and order something else. Many puzzled looks but I guess you should order what you like. Consequently I usually make beef ribs over pork as I can make them tasty with a little more "chew".

leethebard

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 5:47 PM (permalink)
                              Ok,let me get this straight...it's chuck eye if I want the more tender of the two,not the chuck blade?!

ScreamingChicken

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Tue, 02/12/08 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                Correct.

Although I won't turn away a good chuck steak...I buy a quarter every year and have the chuck roasts cut into steaks.

Brad

bbqjimbob

• Total Posts: 428
                                  RE: Chuck Eye Steak Sat, 02/23/08 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by jellybear

I have always seen them in the meat section but never gave them a shot because Im a T-Bone, Ribeye,Strip Steak kind of Guy.But last night I picked up a couple for like two dollars and something.Well,I gave them a quick marinate and threw them in my cast iron grill skillett cooked med rare,let rested then I put them in the oven for a few minutes and all I can say is WOW!What have I been missing!The flavor was there and vey tender also.I will never look down on this cut of meat again.

Just curious- why did you finish them in the oven? Does it make this cut more tender? What temp, and how long in the oven? Were they still med rare- hopefully they didn't go much past.

Thanks

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                                    • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                    RE: Chuck Eye Steak Sat, 02/23/08 11:12 PM (permalink)
                                    Ahhhhhh, my favorite $1.99/pound steak.

http://headlessblogger.blogspot.com/2007/03/my-favorite-1.html

djmsalem

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Sat, 02/23/08 11:28 PM (permalink)
                                      JRP, that photo makes me want to go out and get one right now.

bbqjimbob

• Total Posts: 428
                                        RE: Chuck Eye Steak Sun, 02/24/08 4:37 AM (permalink)
                                        I bought a package of chuck eye steaks tonight for $4.99 per pound. I cooked them in a cast iron skillet over extremely high heat- the skillet, w/ no oil, was smoking when I put the steaks in. I added a small amount of oil. I seasoned them with S&P and finely minced garlic. I cooked them in the skillet for about a minute and a half per side, and let them rest for about 5 minutes. WOW- my only complaint- There was only about a pound of them. I didn't know what I was missing! Thanks for the heads-up on this cut of steaks! For about half the price I've been paying for steaks, I can have these steaks, which in my opinion, are every bit as good!

Thanks again for the heads up!

jellybear

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Mon, 02/25/08 7:42 AM (permalink)
                                          The reason why I stick them in the oven is because I just put a quick sear on the outside and then take them off and let them rest a while and then pop them in to get the degree of doneness that I like.I like a nice rare to med.rare and this way they come out perfect evert time.I wont cook a steak on my grill anymore its a waste of charcoal.

MiamiDon

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Mon, 02/25/08 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                            Beef Chuck Eye Steak Boneless:

Beef Chuck Under Blade Steak Bonless

Beef Chuck Blade Steak:

Beef Chuck Top Blade Steak Boneless:

Beef Chuck Mock Tender:

These are listed roughly in the order of tenderness. The last two are perhaps best braised, and the chuck blade steak has blade bone, back bone, and rib bone.

jimsock9

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Mon, 02/25/08 9:17 AM (permalink)
                                              Thankyou MiamiDon!!!! Those pictures are absolutely correct! That'll sort out any confusion out there! (brilliant!)

MiamiDon

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Mon, 02/25/08 9:18 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by jimsock9

Thankyou MiamiDon!!!! Those little pictures are absolutely correct! That'll sort out any confusion out there! (brilliant!)

I was confused too, and went to look them up!

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
                                                  RE: Chuck Eye Steak Mon, 02/25/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                  Hate to be a wet blanket, however, I just don't like the taste of chuck...sorry... .

ScreamingChicken

RE: Chuck Eye Steak Mon, 02/25/08 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by JRPfeff

I saw a couple of packages in the Pig's meat case over the weekend...$5.99/lb.

Brad

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
                                                      • Location: Port Royal, SC
                                                      RE: Chuck Eye Steak Mon, 02/25/08 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Brad_Olson

quote:
                                                      Originally posted by JRPfeff

I saw a couple of packages in the Pig's meat case over the weekend...$5.99/lb.

Brad

Ya'll have Pig's up there? Cool.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                        RE: Chuck Eye Steak Thu, 02/28/08 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                                        I love chuck eye steaks. We call them Delmonicos.
                                                        Sear quickly to desired doneness in a hot black iron skillet. Remove steaks, turn off heat. Stir in a large pat of butter, a can of drained button mushrooms, and a splash of red wine. Super!

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                                          • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                                          RE: Chuck Eye Steak Sat, 03/1/08 8:42 AM (permalink)
                                                          Mmm, chuck eyes

leethebard

• Location: brick, NJ
                                                            RE: Chuck Eye Steak Sat, 03/1/08 8:48 AM (permalink)
                                                            Is that bacon I see with the steak?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com