The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 11, messages 271 to 300 of 323
arianej

• Total Posts: 205
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 01/9/10 7:02 PM (permalink)
The Dayton Mall area seems like a good place for Indian food.  You've got Amar India, Kohinoor (our favorite so far) and a new place called Namaste has opened up just south of the Mall along 741.  It's slightly different than the previously mentioned restaurants, being more of an informal fast food place that promises "curry in a hurry".  :)

I think it had only been open for a few days/a week when we went, and it was a rather miserable rainy day.  The inside is very cheerful with a small dine-in space and a chutney bar.  Quite a few people were getting carry-out. 

I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures-- we were near the front windows, but the light was low.

They have very reasonably priced lunch specials for $5 (I can't remember if this includes your drink.)  I'll be honest, it wasn't really fast food, but the wait was no longer than your average Indian restaurant, and we weren't in a hurry.  The service was very friendly, but a bit disorganized.  I expect that as they settle in, things will improve.

I got the choley bhatura, a chickpea curry with a round of deep-fried bread.  You can order different spice levels and mind was a medium hot.  It was very good, quite spicy and flavorful.  The bhatura (the bread) was delicious-- soft and flakey, releasing steam when I pulled it apart.

Erik got the saag paneer, a creamy spiced spinach dish with chunks of homemade cheese i it.  Yeah, I realize it doesn't look terribly appetizing, but it's delicious.  :)  His dish came with rice.  Both portions are generous, especially consider the $5 price tag.

We had plenty to eat, but couldn't resist ordering a side of naan, pictured on the right. 

The menu lists some southern India dishes, which isn't as common in Dayton-- masala dhosa, idli, etc.  as well as some Indo-Chinese dishes, which sound... er, unusual.   They do carry the expected dishes (various meat curries, chicken tikka masala, etc.) but vegetarian dishes are also very well-represented on the menu.  It's a good casual place to try Indian food without being out too much money, but if you can't tolerate chilies, order conservatively because they DO mean it when they say it's hot.

We'll definitely go back!

Namaste India
9632 Springboro Pike.
Miamisburg, OH
http://namasteindiadyt.com/menu.html

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
    RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 01/9/10 8:13 PM (permalink)
    That looks like a great place. Thanks for a great review. At $5 for lunch how can you go wrong. Personally I hate that part of town and I lived in Sprinbboro for 11 years. Chain hell! That area needs a Mom and Pop....Russ

arianej

• Total Posts: 205
      RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 01/10/10 1:19 AM (permalink)
      Russ Jackson

That looks like a great place. Thanks for a great review. At $5 for lunch how can you go wrong. Personally I hate that part of town and I lived in Sprinbboro for 11 years. Chain hell! That area needs a Mom and Pop....Russ

Yeah, I know what you mean, Russ!  But there are a few good places, tucked here and there.  Dayton seems to be particularly lucky when it comes to Indian food.  I've also heard very good things about India Chaat cafe on 725, and since we got a gift certificate for that place for Christmas, we'll be visiting there as well.  I'll try to remember to bring the camera.  :)

The nearest homestyle restaurant that I like is probably Holly's in West Carollton, although 4200 Place is also close and very good as well.  But both are rather off the beaten path.

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 01/10/10 10:37 AM (permalink)
        The Chaat Cafe is the same concept as the place you just reviewed - "fast food" Indian. Very, very good food, spartan decor, and serve yourself. And the heat scale also goes up to "thermonuclear". I've never gone for lunch but a la carte entrees are priced ok.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 01/24/10 3:52 PM (permalink)
          NYPIzzaNut

TJ, what do you think about their pies now that you have been to NY?

Does anything in SW Ohio compare?

Did you miss this post?

baughman

• Total Posts: 115
            RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sun, 03/21/10 7:43 PM (permalink)
            So the family and I finally made the drive up to Troni's saturday afternoon. Was 330 or so. Was a cpl of ladies in there and us.
              AS usual my son and I got out voted by the 4 woman in the family. Sadly this will be a one sided fight for the rest of my son and I's life. Son and I wanted to go with just a cheese 16" to really taste the crust,cheese,sauce of a new place. We got out voted so it was half meat, half bacon. Also my wife loves baked ziti so she got that.
               The baked ziti was huge, and really good. I always complain that Italian places never garlic me enough. I LOVE GARLIC. The ziti had a wonderful garlic flavor. My wife loved it also and is willing to drive up just for it. 
            Prices are not bad at all. We worried with everyone talking about price. But If I remember right the whole family ate for under 40. 6 ppl under 40 is cheap. A cheese 16" ( xl at the crap chains) was only 11 and change. Sadly trying to go off memory. OF course topping add up fast being 2 a topping or going with specialty pizzas.
              Ok on to the pizza. Son and i got voted down as stated before so we ended up with the half bacon half meat.
              meat had good flavor just a bit to much meat for me. When I go NY style I like it as simple as possible. 2 oldest daughters loved the meat side and gave it thumbs up. My oldest eats like a bird and she wolfed down her slice before I even got to take a bite of mine.
              My son loved the bacon side. Said it was better then our usual slice at Flying pizza in cinci. 
            As for me. As stated the meat side was good just a bit to much toppings. So it over powered what i came for. Crust,cheese, and sauce flavor.
              My second slice was of the bacon side. The bites were I got no bacon were as joyful of a bite as I have had in a long time. As close as I have found to Ny Style. Really I think someone is going to have to bring Ny water in for it to really hit home. But this was darn close. They add something to the crust i am taking it. Since it has a slight shine to it and has a bit of a butter taste. 
              All in all I have found my new fav ny style pizza in this area.
              Maybe I can have some ny water shipped in and have them make me a pizza using it. Then this might just be perfection.
               Bonus was I got to watch Madrid vs sporting on the tv. since it seems the family there loves soccer also. 
              Hoping to head back next month and get just a cheese pizza to really decide if this is my fav place. Also the wife wants to try the sicilian also. SO she can leave my pie ALONE!!

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 03/22/10 10:47 AM (permalink)
              baughman

So the family and I finally made the drive up to Troni's saturday afternoon. Was 330 or so. Was a cpl of ladies in there and us.
                AS usual my son and I got out voted by the 4 woman in the family. Sadly this will be a one sided fight for the rest of my son and I's life. Son and I wanted to go with just a cheese 16" to really taste the crust,cheese,sauce of a new place. We got out voted so it was half meat, half bacon. Also my wife loves baked ziti so she got that.
                 The baked ziti was huge, and really good. I always complain that Italian places never garlic me enough. I LOVE GARLIC. The ziti had a wonderful garlic flavor. My wife loved it also and is willing to drive up just for it. 
              Prices are not bad at all. We worried with everyone talking about price. But If I remember right the whole family ate for under 40. 6 ppl under 40 is cheap. A cheese 16" ( xl at the crap chains) was only 11 and change. Sadly trying to go off memory. OF course topping add up fast being 2 a topping or going with specialty pizzas.
                Ok on to the pizza. Son and i got voted down as stated before so we ended up with the half bacon half meat.
                meat had good flavor just a bit to much meat for me. When I go NY style I like it as simple as possible. 2 oldest daughters loved the meat side and gave it thumbs up. My oldest eats like a bird and she wolfed down her slice before I even got to take a bite of mine.
                My son loved the bacon side. Said it was better then our usual slice at Flying pizza in cinci. 
              As for me. As stated the meat side was good just a bit to much toppings. So it over powered what i came for. Crust,cheese, and sauce flavor.
                My second slice was of the bacon side. The bites were I got no bacon were as joyful of a bite as I have had in a long time. As close as I have found to Ny Style. Really I think someone is going to have to bring Ny water in for it to really hit home. But this was darn close. They add something to the crust i am taking it. Since it has a slight shine to it and has a bit of a butter taste. 
                All in all I have found my new fav ny style pizza in this area.
                Maybe I can have some ny water shipped in and have them make me a pizza using it. Then this might just be perfection.
                 Bonus was I got to watch Madrid vs sporting on the tv. since it seems the family there loves soccer also. 
                Hoping to head back next month and get just a cheese pizza to really decide if this is my fav place. Also the wife wants to try the sicilian also. SO she can leave my pie ALONE!!

Speaking of Troni's Pizzeria below is a photo of the two take-out pies I brought home from there last week:

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 04/13/10 10:02 AM (permalink)
                I decided this was a better place to post this than over on the Troni's blog

http://dayton.bizjournals...010/04/05/story10.html

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 04/16/10 8:50 PM (permalink)
                  Has anyone here tried the Dorothy Lane Market pizza? (Only seems to be at the Springboro location):

http://www.dorothylane.co...ian%20Pizza%20Menu.pdf

I'm curious. They're claiming "thin", "hand tossed", and baked  on an "extremely hot hearth." If it is as they state, it's an exceptional deal for the money.

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 04/27/10 9:45 PM (permalink)
                    So we ordered a DLM pizza from their Springboro story.

Fantastic, especially considering not only the origin - a grocery - but also the price (a three ingredient 18" was $13.) This is true - or near - NY style, with a "handle" for the crust edge and cut into slices, not squares.

A verrrry nice, thin, hand tossed, foldable crust with decent char and browning on the crust bottom, with great "tooth" - chewy and crispy. Even the edge was worth eating and I ate my wife's leftover crust.  The girl at the deli counter where you order the pizza said that the crust is made daily in the store by an Italian guy.

This pizza is at very least as good as Flying Pizza. I recommend that the pizza nut here give it a try.

It's a good backup in case Troni's owner gets in trouble again.

PS: visually the pizza from here is indistinguishable from the Troni's product that NYPizzaNut has the pictures of above. It looks exactly the same.
                    <message edited by donw9876 on Wed, 04/28/10 12:14 PM>

TJ Jackson

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 08/12/10 12:00 PM (permalink)
                      I had an impromptu day off granted by my boss after about 2 weeks of huge hours, and decided to take the kids up to Crabill's (http://www.roadfood.com/R.../Reviews/519/crabills) in Urbana for lunch and then we'd swing by for a take out pie from Troni's for dinner

Crabills was much further away than I had expected.  It would have been quicker to drive to Columbus, I think.  By the time we got there, we were all ravenously hungry :-)  The kids were amazed at how tiny the place was, and the lone other customer pointed out that the original place (which had burned down 20 or so years ago, he said? not sure) was even smaller.  Still, easily the tinest standalone eatery I have ever been in.

The burgers were in a word - disappointing.  Single, double, triple - it didn't matter, all I could taste was the soft fluffy bun.  It was a good bun, mind you, but I didn't drive 2 hours for a bun :-)

The other oddity was that some folks have described it as the greasiest burger ever.  Ours were dry as the desert, though the grill itself was vast lake of hot beefy grease.

We bought a bag of the local chips - Mumford - and all agreed these were very good - crunchy, thick cut, and delicious
                      ----

We were treated very well at Troni's.  The old man at the counter offered glasses of ice water and complimentary garlic knots for my daughters while we waited for our large cheese pizza to go.  The pizza was in the car for the hour and a half drive home, and as I ate it at room temperature nearly two hours after it had come fresh out of the oven, I couldn't help but nod my head that even two hours after leaving the oven this pizza was still better than any I had eaten in Cincinnati.  I still think the texture of the crust could improve, but the burst of fresh tomato-ey taste from the sauce is spot on.  Just wonderful.   

The quality of Troni's pizza may well be the only thing about which I will ever agree with NYPN, but at least we have that :-)
                      <message edited by TJ Jackson on Thu, 08/12/10 12:14 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 08/19/10 7:04 PM (permalink)
                        Note many folks tend to dislike Troni's.  My spouse ate at our new local La Rosa's in Mt Orab recently and  brought home half a calzone, which I ate - not half  bad.

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 08/30/10 5:44 PM (permalink)
                          Looks like we will be at Troni's this week.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                            RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 08/30/10 6:12 PM (permalink)
                            I ate at  Crabill's  a  couple of weeks ago and found the hamburgers to be as deliciious as  usual.  I  did notice that  everyone else ordered the  doubles, which  I  shall do  the next time.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                              RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 08/30/10 7:38 PM (permalink)
                              Crabill's burgers dry? You have to be kidding. They've always been gloriously moist, and I've never heard anyone describe them as greasy. Fact is, I cannot figure out how it is possible, considering the way they cook them, for the burgers not to be greasy, but I've never had one that was anything buy moist, delicious and absolutely un-greasy.

And I make the 50 mile (one-way) drive at least once a month.

TJ Jackson

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 08/30/10 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                I don't know what to tell you......but my report was honest for our experience there.

I was really, really looking forward to that visit, too

If it was closer, I'd give them a second shot, but its 4 hours round trip for me

One question - they told me they never ever cook the onions.....and I really think the burger would be a lot better with sauteed/grilled/griddled onions.  Have you ever seen them cook those for anyone?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                                  RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 08/31/10 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                  TJ, I've never seen them cook the onions. How would they do it, except in the grease on the flattop? I doubt very seriously that Crabill's would consider changing the way they do things. I certainly hope they never change anything.

TJ Jackson

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 08/31/10 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                    I agree, MH
                                    Just figured maybe being you've been there far more often than I, you might know a secret or two
                                    ah well
                                    <message edited by TJ Jackson on Tue, 08/31/10 12:50 PM>

baked-potato

• Total Posts: 8
                                      RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 09/3/10 3:30 AM (permalink)
                                      if there is a Ryan's steak house in that area totally eat there it is so excellent the managers are awesome and so nice and the food is gooooooooood yes

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 01/14/12 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                        Went to Troni's last night for the first time in two years. Pizza was great as usual. Service was sub-par as usual also. Place was packed and the weather was horrible. If I ran that place the size would have tripled by now. I wonder how many people would love to eat there but the service is so bad they never return? Eating the leftovers now...Russ

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 01/14/12 12:27 PM (permalink)
                                          Russ Jackson

Went to Troni's last night for the first time in two years. Pizza was great as usual. Service was sub-par as usual also. Place was packed and the weather was horrible. If I ran that place the size would have tripled by now. I wonder how many people would love to eat there but the service is so bad they never return? Eating the leftovers now...Russ
                                          They are looking for servers.  (Sign on door as you go in) When we were there this past Thursday only Sammy the owner and Tony the pizza maker were there doing everything.  Sammy's kids have outgrown the place and are doing their own thing - I will never forget back in 2008 when I first walked in the place all the kids were there and his wife and it was really fantastic experience on all counts.  I make allowances for places I love to eat at and we are never in a hurry - they let us play Scrabble there after we eat (one of the bennies of being retired.)  Our latest pizza was also superb.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 01/14/12 12:28 PM>

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Tue, 01/17/12 1:43 PM (permalink)
                                            I went to Tronis on a Saturday evening in December and service was fine. It does seem like the kind of place that would sink if a big table came in.

Rabkin

• Total Posts: 64
                                              RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Thu, 01/19/12 9:38 PM (permalink)
                                              donw9876

It does seem like the kind of place that would sink if a big table came in.

Sounds like someone needs to get either Gordon Ramsay or Robert Irvine on this, stat.  :^/

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Fri, 02/17/12 12:30 PM (permalink)
                                                It's not roadfood, but...

Sunday night we tried Elsa's relatively new location on Wilmington.

We walked out after 20+ minutes after receiving only one drink order and apparently being forgotten. (my dining companion still had no drink after this time and the so called waitress was not to be found.)

The "salsa" tasted like jarred stuff. No trace of herbs and it had corn starch type thickness. The chips were store bought. In the menu - oh, look, a Mexican restaurant that serves Calzones!

Chalk up one more place to skip.

Then we went to Lee's across from Meier's. I got a biscuit with raw uncooked dough in the center, and the chicken was . There is a REASON why the Colonel has all the market share,  even if he doesn't offer coupons for car trunks full of fried chicken. 
                                                <message edited by donw9876 on Fri, 02/17/12 1:08 PM>

Bonk

• Total Posts: 503
                                                  RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 02/18/12 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                                  When I was a kid in the early 80s I used to visit Cincinnati and Lee's was outstanding. Sadly, it's been crap for years now and I'm surprised the remaining locations haven't shut down.

Few things are sadder that watching a great eatery go south.

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 02/18/12 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    That is the way I feel about Ihop.

donw9876

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 02/18/12 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                                      The chicken from Lee's was like this: both pieces were poor quality meat - lots of fat and connective tissue. The drumstick was unevenly breaded. The thigh was breaded way too much, to the extent that it was very hard. It made Banquet fried chicken (quite nice for what it is) seem like haute cuisine.
                                                      <message edited by donw9876 on Sat, 02/18/12 5:50 PM>

Bonk

• Total Posts: 503
                                                        • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                        RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 02/20/12 7:03 AM (permalink)
                                                        Donw - I know what you're talking about. The breading is very inconsistent and the quality of the chicken itself is mediocre at best.

I keep wanting to give Lee's another chance, so I went to the one in Latonia, Ky. (yeah, I know this is a Dayton-area thread), and it was marginally better, but still nowhere near its previous standard.

Fried chicken is a food with such a high popularity rating among all age groups and races that it's bizarre there are so few good places to get it in southwest Ohio.

donw9876

• Location: Daytonati, OH
                                                          RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Mon, 02/20/12 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                                          Bonk
                                                          Fried chicken is a food with such a high popularity rating among all age groups and races that it's bizarre there are so few good places to get it in southwest Ohio.

Years ago (I think around 1990) I went with a friend from work to a franchising presentation by a spinoff of Subway ("Doctor's Associates") called Cajun Joe's. Several people in the audience pointed out that fried chicken doesn't do well around here.

I don't get it, either. I have a bare handful of places that I would eat fried chicken at locally.

Church's used to be great but they don't have many locations left. Popeye's is pretty good but individual units can be quite skanky. That leaves KFC, and KFC.

donw9876

• Location: Daytonati, OH
                                                            RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown Sat, 05/19/12 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                                            Starlite Diner
                                                            2627  South Smithville Road
                                                            Dayton OH 45420
                                                            phone: (937) 254-5000
                                                            -------------------------------------------

This restaurant appears to be a spinoff/branch of the original location in Kettering, across from Meier's. The concept is modestly priced diner food, along with a few additional things that you wouldn't expect to find in a diner.

I think it opened in January. The building housed the former Nanking Inn, which in prehistory (pre-1980) was a beloved Burger Chef with one of the original gaudy neon kite shaped signs. But I digress.

Ate there tonight for the first time, 5/19/12, a warm Saturday evening. We got there around 7:30.

The first impressions were: new remodel job, nice seats and decor (along with the counter in exactly the same location as it was in Burger Chef days). And hotter than hell - easily low 80s in the dining room. The staff had a side door propped open with a chair. Today really needed A/C. And lastly - only two other patrons, two men at one other booth. On a Saturday around the dinner hour.

I ordered a patty melt platter for either $5.95 or $6.95 (I think), which includes chips and a soup of the day. My brother ordered the fried fish sandwich - same price and deal.

On the positive side, they allowed a free substitution of fries for chips. The soup of the day was - get this - cream of mushroom soup. Wtf? In the summer? The same stuff that you make green bean casserole with? Yup. They had no other choice (usually at places that serve a soup du jour, some kind of chili is always available.) We both passed, and substituted cold sides instead (applesauce and slaw.)

Our sammiches were a mixed bag. My brother's fish sandwich looked good, although the piece of fish was small for a restaurant meal and looked like a preformed frozen patty.  My patty melt was made from a preformed Sysco type burger patty. I kept getting little bone chips in the meat, which I always associate with cheap discount burgers. The burger was served grey with no charring. The second half of the sandwich's bottom piece of bread was a soggy mass from sitting in its juices while I ate the first half. It was hard to eat because the texture was nasty, and the mushy bread combined with glutinous cheese and mushroom sauce was, in the words of an icon, . I left most of the second half on the plate. My stomach's still grumbling three hours later.

The waitress and the cash register guy were both super nice. I did not have the heart to tell either what I really thought.

I have to give this joint a D-. The only thing that raises it above an F is the great attitude of the waitress. The lack of A/C made it very uncomfortable to eat in. The preformed burger patty shows that they (management) doesn't care about quality.  This is a diner that serves food that is not as good as fast food.

I deliberately picked food that I felt was very easy for a diner to make - so you are not seeing me bitch about poorly made clam linguini or other types of food that require actual food judgement and culinary knowledge to make well.

When we left about a quarter after 8, there were a few other patrons (4 to 6) that had trickled in. But the almost empty parking lot when we arrived on a weekend evening tells the story... At that rate they couldn't be making enough to keep the lights on.

In a ~1 mile radius of this place I HIGHLY recommend the following places instead, in order of preference: Tanks, Slider's, Angie's, or Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers. There is no reason to eat here, except that you can't find a seat at Slider's.

I want to support local businesses, but ... ech. Blink twice and you might miss this place before the building is up for lease again.
                                                            <message edited by donw9876 on Sun, 05/20/12 2:26 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 11, messages 271 to 300 of 323

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com