Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 61
BurghFeeder

• Total Posts: 18
Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Sun, 02/27/11 7:50 AM (permalink)
While I haven't had it, I've been told that the Omin William Penn, downtown has fantastic devonshire, as good as the Union Grill.  I'll have to try it before I believe it!  I've also had the devonshire at Sauce and I was dissapointed, way too salty!  Too bad, because I really enjoy all their other food. 

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
    Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Fri, 03/4/11 2:47 PM (permalink)
    A new Pittsburgh Market Square restaurant planning to offer Turkey Devonshire on its menu:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11063/1129503-28.stm

Ralph Melton

RE: Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Thu, 04/14/11 11:26 PM (permalink)
      I finally went back to What's Cookin' at Casey's, and tried their Turkey Devonshire.

It was prettier than Tolerico's, with very crisp bacon and toast that made it easy to eat. It was quite tasty.
      IMG_2429 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

(As an aside to buffetbuster: the blackberry pie I had there was the best pie I've had in several months:
      IMG_2430 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr)

john428

• Total Posts: 1
        Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Mon, 12/26/11 11:27 AM (permalink)
        Pasta Too in Bethel has a very good Turkey Devonshire yumm

buffetbuster

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Mon, 02/13/12 10:34 AM (permalink)
          Thanks to the recommendation from Ralph Melton earlier in this thread, I recently went to Tolerico's for their turkey devonshire.

When they sat it down in front of me, my first reaction was that it is a really small portion size.  Looks can be deceiving, because it wasn't easy to finish.  The cheddar cheese sauce was strong without being cloying.  They also put some pepperjack/cheddar on top.  The turkey itself was not real roast turkey, but was still plenty thick and tasted really good.  This was one of the better turkey devonshires I have had in a while.

I have also had a couple more devonshires in the last week or so from places that haven't been mentioned so far.  Unfortunately, those photos aren't downloaded yet, so I will try and get those posted soon. 

Ralph Melton

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Wed, 02/15/12 11:34 AM (permalink)
            That looks very different from the last Turkey Devonshire I had at Tolerico's. I noted that they revamped the menu recently; they may have adjusted the preparation as well. Thanks for reporting on it.

buffetbuster

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Mon, 02/27/12 9:34 PM (permalink)
              Another turkey devonshire I recently tried was the version at Sewickley Hotel

Man, I really wanted to like this a lot, but I was disappointed.  Back when my sister lived in Sewickley, my family would eat here regularly and I would almost always get the devonshire.  They do get a lot of credit for six whole strips of bacon (two or three are more typical), but the cheddar cheese sauce was really gloppy and overwhelmed the rest of the dish.  If the cheese sauce isn't right, it is hard to overcome.

The lunch was not a total loss.  Mariton loved her french onion soup and crab melt and my asparagus chicken soup was excellent.  I do plan on going back to give them another try.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Mon, 02/27/12 9:41 PM (permalink)
                Oooooh, Sewickley.  Hotshot. 

Get across that river to Coraopolis where you belong.

buffetbuster

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Mon, 02/27/12 10:06 PM (permalink)
                  JRPfeff

You're right, a guy like me has no business being with the swells in Sewickley!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                    Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Mon, 02/27/12 10:10 PM (permalink)
                    That's why I lived in Moon.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                      Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Mon, 02/27/12 11:35 PM (permalink)
                      buffetbuster

Another turkey devonshire I recently tried was the version at Sewickley Hotel

Man, I really wanted to like this a lot, but I was disappointed.  Back when my sister lived in Sewickley, my family would eat here regularly and I would almost always get the devonshire.  They do get a lot of credit for six whole strips of bacon (two or three are more typical), but the cheddar cheese sauce was really gloppy and overwhelmed the rest of the dish.  If the cheese sauce isn't right, it is hard to overcome.

The lunch was not a total loss.  Mariton loved her french onion soup and crab melt and my asparagus chicken soup was excellent.  I do plan on going back to give them another try.

The picture looks like the cheese sauce may have been sitting somewhere for too long and "Broke". It looks a little grainey.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 02/28/12 6:36 AM (permalink)
                        JRPfeff

Oooooh, Sewickley.  Hotshot. 

Coraopolis?

I thought he was more of a McKeesrocks kinda guy!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                          Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 02/28/12 2:32 PM (permalink)
                          Buffetbuster's not a Sewickley Swell, but he could be if he wished. That's because he's not of this Earth. I have it on good authority that he is our own Extra Terrestrial, which explains why his travels across the country are a mere bagatelle. A flight to Nashville, or to Seattle, or wherever on this continent is nothing compared to his travel from his home planet. Yes, Buffetbuster is a Martian.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
                            Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 02/28/12 3:04 PM (permalink)
                            Hell, if the Swells let the likes of me not only work there but live there twice, they must let everybody in.  Including pie-eating Martians. 

buffetbuster

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 04/3/12 1:53 PM (permalink)
                              Last week, I went to Carmody's for lunch and tried their turkey devonshire.  Carmody's is located at the Wexford exit of I-79, so it would be convenient for travelers.  They attract an older crowd and it used to be a favorite of my father.  In fact, for years, we would have lunch there every Friday while I was in college.  I think this was the first time I have been to Carmody's since he passed away in 1998.

The devonshire

did not look particularly appealing when it was sat down in front of me.  The sauce (it seemed like it was all cheddar) looked like it was made from low grade cheese and also appeared overly gloppy.  Surprisingly, the cheese sauce tasted better than it looked, even though it was very thick.  There wasn't a lot of turkey meat on it, but they replaced it with a layer of ham.  I have seen ham on devonshires a few times, but it is rare.  This is isn't a great devonshire, but it will do in a pinch.  I would order it again.  They also had a crab devonshire available.

BTW, I also ordered and ate a appetizer of sauerkraut balls.  What is noteworthy is that it came with cocktail sauce and marinara sauce for dipping.  I'm not 100% sure what the proper condiment is for sauerkraut balls (maybe a brown mustard?), but I don't think cocktail sauce or marinara is the answer. 
                              <message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 04/3/12 1:59 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 04/3/12 1:58 PM (permalink)
                                BurghFeeder

While I haven't had it, I've been told that the Omin William Penn, downtown has fantastic devonshire, as good as the Union Grill.  I'll have to try it before I believe it!  I've also had the devonshire at Sauce and I was dissapointed, way too salty!  Too bad, because I really enjoy all their other food. 

I recently wanted to eat at the Omni William Penn before a Penguin game, so I looked at their menu.  No devonshire was listed.  Now, I had also heard stories about how great their devonshire is/was, so this had me curious.  Did they take it off of the menu?  Is this possibly one of those secret menu items you have to know to order?  Inquiring minds want to know! 

buffetbuster

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 06/26/12 10:24 AM (permalink)
                                  Ralph Melton and I recently had dinner inside the Tap Room of the Omni William Penn in downtown Pittsburgh.  For those from out of town, the William Penn is THE luxury hotel in Pittsburgh.  In the above post, you can see where it was discussed that they serve a great Turkey Devonshire, so we were there to investigate.

Like I had mentioned, it is not listed on the menu.  So, I called and was told that it is on the menu of the Terrace Room, which is the hotel's fancy restaurant and they would be happy to bring it over to the Tap Room.  This struck me as odd, since the Tap Room is the pub and Turkey Devonshire is much more of a pub food than a fancy Terrace Room type of food.

Anyway, here is what was delivered to us:

On the plus side, the toast, turkey (what tasted like real turkey, just sliced very thin) and especially the thick, crispy bacon were all very good.  The cheddar cheese sauce also had good cheese flavor.  What disappointed me though was the cheese sauce was WAY too runny and thin.  Usually when I finish a devonshire, there is no sauce left over, since it all gets mopped up using the bread.  Here, there was a small lake of cheese sauce leftover.

Not a bad devonshire, but certainly not a great one, either.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                    Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 06/26/12 10:34 AM (permalink)
                                    By putting it on the restaurant menu WP is able to charge you Terrace Room prices for Tap Room food.

I wonder if the juice from the tomatoes contributed to the consistency of the sauce.  Otherwise it does look pretty good.

buffetbuster

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 06/26/12 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                      Brad-
                                      I really didn't think about it at the time, but we were charged Terrace Room prices.  They are so sneaky!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1500
                                        Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 06/26/12 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                        The way to measure the cost of food is in the pleasure per bite....not what is shows on the little slip of paper.   But......I suspect SC is right!  But if you liked it for the price...then it's "nice"

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
                                          Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 06/26/12 8:40 PM (permalink)
                                          hae to try the recipev

Phildelmar

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Tue, 06/26/12 8:41 PM (permalink)
                                            have to try the recipe

buffetbuster

Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Wed, 09/11/13 2:51 PM (permalink)
                                              Just got back from lunch and for the first time I have ever seen, a local upscale restaurant had a filet Devonshire on the menu.  There were no tomatoes and the cheese sauce was gouda, but it was still very much a Devonshire.  Sorry, no photos!  It was a formal business lunch and I don't need the local bankers having any reason to look into my peculiar hobby and the shady people I associate with.

No offense WJ!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                                                Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Wed, 09/11/13 4:22 PM (permalink)
                                                A filet Devonshire? As in beef filet? That sounds interesting. Go back and get a picture.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                                                  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Wed, 09/11/13 4:38 PM (permalink)
                                                  buffetbuster

Just got back from lunch and for the first time I have ever seen, a local upscale restaurant had a filet Devonshire on the menu.  There were no tomatoes and the cheese sauce was gouda, but it was still very much a Devonshire.  Sorry, no photos!  It was a formal business lunch and I don't need the local bankers having any reason to look into my peculiar hobby and the shady people I associate with.

No offense WJ!

I've learned from the best!

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 322
                                                    Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Wed, 09/11/13 4:48 PM (permalink)
                                                    buffetbuster

No offense WJ!

Can a sandwich with no turkey, tomato or Cheddar cheese sauce be correctly referred to as a "Devonshire"?  
                                                    I have similar difficulty with people referring to "Chicken Cheesesteaks".  It just doesn't compute to me.  But maybe I'm just a closed-minded stickler.
                                                    <message edited by Treetop Tom on Wed, 09/11/13 4:59 PM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
                                                      Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Wed, 09/11/13 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      bb
                                                      Who are you callin' shady??  I resemble that remark!

Phildelmar

RE: Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Wed, 09/11/13 6:59 PM (permalink)
                                                        I have to try this when in the area. Great thread

buffetbuster

RE: Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Thu, 10/3/13 8:44 AM (permalink)
                                                          Mariton and I ate in Alexander's Italian Bistro over the past weekend.  I had every intention of ordering Italian food (it is located in Bloomfield, known as Pittsburgh's Little Italy), but changed courses when they had a turkey Devonshire on the menu. 

Sorry about the photo.  That was the best I could do with my camera phone in a dark restaurant.

Like my favorite version at Union Grill, it comes in a skillet and came out bubbling hot.  Instead of toast points, it sat on one long slice of Italian bread.  The B├ęchamel sauce was an unusual choice, but the flavor was spot on.  It also contained much more turkey and bacon that you normally get.  This may be my second favorite Devonshire in the city. 

leslie638

• Total Posts: 25
                                                            • Joined: 12/29/2007
                                                            • Location: pittsburgh, PA
                                                            Re:Turkey Devonshire/Pittsburgh Sat, 11/16/13 9:08 AM (permalink)
                                                            BB, I wonder if the homeless guy that was caught staying in the presidential suite, ordered this from room service. LOL 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 61

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com