The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 70
Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Tue, 03/22/11 4:42 PM (permalink)
Welcome aboard Jersey Frank !!

Benzee

JerseyJoe

• Total Posts: 31
    RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Tue, 03/22/11 5:28 PM (permalink)
    leethebard

Frank,love that you use pizza bread. Where do you get yours from??Callandras?

When we reopened in 2003 we started almost from square one. I tried 3 different pizza bread makers. Out of the three I choose Paramount Italian Bakery (see below). The diameter was correct and the consistency was just what I wanted.

Paramount Italian Bakery
    61 Davenport Ave
    Newark, NJ 07107
    (973) 482-6638

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
      RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Wed, 03/23/11 10:07 AM (permalink)
      When the mood strikes me, I make my own "Italian" version of a  Chicago Style Dog using a half pizza bread. Dubbing it the Deep Dish Double Chicago dog, I place two boiled all beef dogs  in half a pizza bread and top it with all the requisite ingredients...right down to the celery salt and neon green relish.  Not bad...not bad at all.

Indeed, great variations on the Italian Hot Dog theme await the noble Pizza Bread.

The Bear

JerseyJoe

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Wed, 03/23/11 4:39 PM (permalink)
        ScreenBear
         ... I place two boiled all beef dogs  in half a pizza bread ...  The Bear

BLASPHEMY!!!!

After tasting a deep fried hot dog I don't think I could ever eat a dirty water dog again. 

MiamiDon

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Wed, 03/23/11 6:10 PM (permalink)
          JerseyJoe

ScreenBear
           ... I place two boiled all beef dogs  in half a pizza bread ...  The Bear

BLASPHEMY!!!!

After tasting a deep fried hot dog I don't think I could ever eat a dirty water dog again. 

A nicely grilled hot dog is good!

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
            RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Wed, 03/23/11 7:26 PM (permalink)
            The dogs at Jerry's in Elizabeth (boiled, then finished off on a grill) are better than any fried dog I've had.

JerseyJoe

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Wed, 03/23/11 7:50 PM (permalink)
              MiamiDon

A nicely grilled hot dog is good!

John Fox

The dogs at Jerry's in Elizabeth (boiled, then finished off on a grill) are better than any fried dog I've had.

Jerry's does make a good dog although I don't quite understand why the dog must be boiled first.

John Fox

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Wed, 03/23/11 8:02 PM (permalink)
                It's basically a dirty water dog (Best's 8/1 nc) that's finished off in a steel box. This adds extra crunch and flavor.

The late great Syd's took a 5/1 Best's, boiled it first, then chargrilled it. I asked the owner at the time (Bob Grossman) why they prepared the dogs this way. He told me he didn't know; only that they were doing it before he owned the place and he didn't want to change a thing.

I later found out from someone who knew Syd Goldstein, the first owner, that they were boiled first to heat them through evenly. The grill adds char and flavor. Boiling them first saves time. The texture is also different if you boil first. I love the Syd's dog and cook them at home the same way. 

An interesting way of preparing this dog is to fry it first, then grill on a charcoal grill. This is the way it's done at Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover. I actually like the flavor of the dog done this way even better than how Syd's did it. I just boil and grill at home because it's easier.

The Buffs footlong (Syd's dog) is an interesting hybrid. More of a charbroiled dog with extra flavor and juiciness from the short time in the oil.

<message edited by John Fox on Wed, 03/23/11 8:05 PM>

JerseyJoe

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Wed, 03/23/11 9:31 PM (permalink)
                  IMO the fried hot dog is the BEST as long as it is cooked in the same oil as the vegetables/meats (potatoes,peppers,onions,sausage,chicken etc.) . The Fried H/D takes on the subtle flavors of everything that has been cooked in that oil. I can only go by what my customers tell me and the my many years of cooking experience.
                  Frank (JJ) 

JerseyJoe

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Thu, 04/7/11 8:18 AM (permalink)
                    We now have a NEW Italian hot dog at Jersey Joe's that I think would be worth your while to try. It's called a Mex-Italian Hot Dog. It's an Italian hot dog with the difference being that the hot dog that I use is stuffed with jalapeno peppers and cheese. I then put my homemade chili on the dog and pot-pep-onions on top of that.
                    I've been selling them for several months now and the masses love them (including myself).

P.S. I posted this in another thread but somehow the pictures were either moved/deleted by Photobucket
                    <message edited by JerseyJoe on Thu, 04/7/11 8:22 AM>

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                      RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Thu, 04/7/11 11:49 PM (permalink)
                      Hi Frank , aka JERSEY JOE !, , it's me, ELLEN , the O.P, original poster on here... ; I attempted a 2nd visit to your Jersey Joe's Hot Dog Joint , arrived at 3:20 pm, and there was a CLOSED sign up , SHUCKS !! (even though the hours on door & on website said "open till 4 pm " ... This was on Monday, March 21st ; guess biz was a little slow that day, (?) and u did'nt expect a ROADFOOD gal like me to be dropping by, lol !! I drove up from Atlantic City , and I was really looking forward to having one of your double Italian dogs again ! Oh well, better luck for me next time !! (but, I better call first , lol ...).......

JerseyJoe

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Fri, 04/8/11 11:12 PM (permalink)
                        ellen4641

Hi Frank , aka JERSEY JOE !, , it's me, ELLEN , the O.P, original poster on here... ; I attempted a 2nd visit to your Jersey Joe's Hot Dog Joint , arrived at 3:20 pm, and there was a CLOSED sign up , SHUCKS !! (even though the hours on door & on website said "open till 4 pm " ... This was on Monday, March 21st ; guess biz was a little slow that day, (?) and u did'nt expect a ROADFOOD gal like me to be dropping by, lol !! I drove up from Atlantic City , and I was really looking forward to having one of your double Italian dogs again ! Oh well, better luck for me next time !! (but, I better call first , lol ...).......

Ellen what can I say accept, I apologize? You are correct, it was probably VERY slow that day (as are some Mondays). I don't do that very often but when I do it is usually for a good reason. We do look forward to seeing you again. I'm not quite sure how but Jersey Joe will make that up to you somehow next time you visit. If your still unsure just give us a call before you visit .  Thanx for your candid statement.
                        Frank

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                          RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Fri, 04/8/11 11:16 PM (permalink)
                          what are pot-pep onions?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
                            RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sat, 04/9/11 8:32 AM (permalink)
                            bill voss

what are pot-pep onions?

The secret ingredients!

MiamiDon

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sat, 04/9/11 9:19 AM (permalink)
                              bill voss

what are pot-pep onions?

My guess would be potatoes, peppers and onions.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sat, 04/9/11 9:59 AM (permalink)
                                you east coasters are so wacky. :)

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                  RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sat, 04/9/11 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                  bill voss

you east coasters are so wacky. :)

Maybe....but we sure have superb food!!!!

loucrew

• Total Posts: 30
                                    RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 04/10/11 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                    Got a rental property in Leonardo.  I will have to stop in and give your place a try soon.

JerseyJoe

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 04/17/11 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                      leethebard

I'm beginning to agree with this statement more and more lately. I've always thought it but said to myself "NAAH". I've been getting customers in that say they can't get a good hot dog, pizza, pork roll sandwich etc. etc. in any other state but Jersey.    

JerseyJoe

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Tue, 05/24/11 8:21 AM (permalink)
                                        Starting on Memorial Day weekend Jersey Joe's will OPEN ON SUNDAYS and CLOSE ON MONDAYS (for the summer season).

<message edited by JerseyJoe on Tue, 05/24/11 8:25 AM>

Gilberts Sausages

RE: visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Tue, 05/24/11 6:02 PM (permalink)
                                          JerseyJoe

leethebard

I'm beginning to agree with this statement more and more lately. I've always thought it but said to myself "NAAH". I've been getting customers in that say they can't get a good hot dog, pizza, pork roll sandwich etc. etc. in any other state but Jersey.    

You've gotta make a trip to Chicago.  Plenty of good pizza, hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, etc. out here.  We consistently make the top 20 for fattest cities in the country, so I think that's a pretty strong testament.  Check out the Portillo's restaurant chain.  They're big enough now that it's almost too commercial, but still make the best of hot dogs, beef sandwiches and the like.  Pizza is another issue itself.

JerseyJoe

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 05/29/11 8:04 AM (permalink)
                                            Jersey Joe's is now OPEN on SUNDAYs and CLOSED on MONDAYs for the summer season.  see us at-www.JJOES.com     

Thank you, Jersey Joe (Frank) 

<message edited by JerseyJoe on Sun, 05/29/11 8:08 AM>

John Fox

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 05/29/11 8:07 AM (permalink)
                                              What are your Sunday hours? I will be in Oceanport today judging the Munchmobile Hot Dog Showdown. If I have any room in my stomach I might stop by.

JerseyJoe

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 05/29/11 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                                Jersey Joe's is now Open 7am-6pm Tuesday -Sunday, Open Memorial Day Monday ONLY 

I think it's appropriate to say "you've tried the rest now try the best"     

Thank you, Jersey Joe (Frank)

<message edited by JerseyJoe on Sun, 05/29/11 8:38 AM>

John Fox

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 05/29/11 8:22 AM (permalink)
                                                  I've tried them all.

WarmBeer

• Total Posts: 77
                                                    Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 05/29/11 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                                    Hey John, next time give us a heads up on a Hot Dog event like this(maybe i missed it if you did).  I was looking for something to do today and only came across the Monmouth track event after it was too late to head down there.  Sounds like a good day.  Do we get a report?
                                                    <message edited by WarmBeer on Mon, 05/30/11 6:10 AM>

John Fox

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 05/29/11 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                                      Sorry. I should have mentioned it. The event was advertised in the Star Ledger every day. But not everyone reads the Ledger. There were only 5 places that entered; one had 2 entries. I'll give a report tomorrow after the results are posted on the Ledger's site.

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                        Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 05/29/11 10:56 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hey Jersey Joe ,
                                                        Will be awaiting Johns report on Monmouth and Jersey Joes .
                                                        Many places have said  that statement ,  good luck
                                                        Benzee

John Fox

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Mon, 05/30/11 9:05 AM (permalink)
                                                          http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dining/index.ssf/2011/05/windmill_mama_marcis_win_munch.html

First off let me say that anyone could have entered this competition but few chose to. Some didn't want to pay the entry fee, some did not (or claimed to) not have employees to spare. Some wanted to enjoy the weekend and not work. And there were other reasons. Last year I actually contacted owners of hot dog restaurants to let them know about this event but no one I spoke with was interested.

Out of the 5 places serving hot dogs only 2 are actually hot dog establishments. The Windmill and Jersey Johnny's. Two others are BBQ joints that overpowered their dogs with spicy sauces, brown sugar, and other ingredients that masked the flavor of the frank, and in my opinion do not belong.

As far as the people's choice, the Windmill has won the last couple of years. But only in part because of the quality of their dog. Most people walking around are not aware that barbecue joints serve hot dogs. Or if they stop by the barbecue stands it is to sample barbecue. Six judges got to sample everything that was entered.

The hamburgers were not really good. I liked the meatball hamburger with cheese and sauce, but that is not what I really consider a burger. More like a Meatball sandwich shaped like a burger on a burger bun. The Windmill was the only offering resembling a true burger. It was dried out and no better than the prepackaged burgers that people get from the supermarket, throw on the grill, and invariably overcook.

It was fun, but there are much better burgers throughout New Jersey. The judges choice (and mine) for best dog was a standout and up there among the best that Jersey has in terms of a beef/pork frank. Precious few use the Thumann's griller and prepare it right. Mamma Marci's did and was the winner with the Windmill coming in 2nd among the judges. Jersey Johnny's made a mistake frying the griller and topping it with slaw, pickles, and pulled pork stuffed inside a monster sized roll. No one could find the dog much less taste it under everything. After the competition I had a classic Texas Weiner from Jersey Johnny's using the dog made for frying and topped with a good chili. Had they served this dog, it would have done well in the competition.

The one Italian dog offered had good pizza bread, but steak fries instead of potatoes sliced thin or in chunks. The dog was grilled instead of fried. Not authentic and not good either. The place serving it usually uses the Thumann's beef/pork griller. An Italian Hot Dog should use a beef frank, preferably Best's. For this competition a spicy sausage was used instead of a hot dog. Totally overwhelming and much too spicy. Places that don't know how to make an Italian Hot Dog with the right ingredients shouldn't bother to make them at all.

Below are my comments taken from my score sheet:

Hot Dogs

1) Chop Shop BBQ. skinless Sabrett all beef approx 10/lb prepared in a smoker. My 3rd favorite although I really only liked 2 of the dogs. Decent tasting frank, good slaw and bacon, but too much going on. The dog was dr...y and obscured by the toppings. BBQ sauce shouldn't be on a dog. Neither should brown sugar. But the flavor of the dog was less masked than 2 of the others I rated below it.

2) Jersey Johnny's. Thumann's griller (4/lb beef/pork) prepared in a deep fryer. Johnny's actually has an 8/lb dog made for frying that they didn't serve. I had one later (after the showdown) and it would have been in my top 2. The dog we had was a 4/lb natural casing Thumann's griller deep fried. Again a decent dog, but this one should have been grilled. I didn't like the big roll. Was there a dog in there? Balance out of whack; too much bread, too much other things. Pulled pork should have been on the side with the pickles and slaw. Would have been better off serving the deep fryer with their chili sauce.

3) Southern Smoke. skinless Sabrett approx 10/lb prepared on a grill (not griddle). My least favorite of the day. The dog was bland and flavorless. And I took a bite where I got only meat. The creole BBQ sauce was overwhelming and totally masked the flavor of the dog which should get star billing while the toppings should complement rather than compete with the frank.

4) Windmill. Natural casing 4/1 Sabrett beef/pork prepared on a flat top griddle. Good solid German style dog. It took 2nd in my voting and is one of 2 that I would actually buy. Good snap and prepared well.

5) Mamma Marci's regular hot dog. 6/1 Thumann's griller (beef/pork) prepared on a flat top griddle. Excellent hot dog. Hands down the best in the competition and my favorite. Although I didn't like the sauerkraut, it did not overshadow the excellent quality of the frank. My favorite brand of German style beef/pork dog surpassing even most butcher shop/pork store franks.

6) Mamma Marci's Italian Hot Dog. approx 6/1 Sabrett spicy sausage. Although not an authentic Italian Hot Dog, I can overlook the fact that the dog is grilled rather than fried or sauteed if it tastes good. And the fact that fries instead of potato slices or chunks are used. They did use pizza bread. But there should be beef hot dogs in there; not a sausage which was much too spicy. This would be an average Italian Hot Dog that you would get in a place like a pizzeria that doesn't specialize in authentic Italian Hot Dogs if they had used a regular beef dog. Didn't like it.

Hamburgers.

1) Southern Smoke. Just horrible. Flavorless burger that was gussied up with too much spice. Dry, and pineapple doesn't belong on my burger. I don't like avocado either.

2) Windmill. My favorite out of those sampled. A simple basic cheeseburger that tastes like your typical backyard burger. I can do better at home. Too well done, but passable and better than the others.

3) Mamma Marci's. I liked their meatball burger. Good bun, good meatball that was the only meat served that wasn't dried out. Good mozzarella and marinara sauce. Not what I expect or look for when I order a burger, but it was good for what it was. And prepared better than the rest.

4) Jersey Johnny's. Bland dry burger served with their Texas Weiner chili sauce. The sauce goes good with a hot dog, not a burger.

<message edited by John Fox on Mon, 05/30/11 10:15 AM>

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                            Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Wed, 06/1/11 8:38 PM (permalink)
                                                            Another fantastic report John
                                                            Thanks for sharing
                                                            Benzee

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 70

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com