The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 70 of 70
JerseyJoe

• Total Posts: 31
Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 08/21/11 8:32 AM (permalink)
Some might be interested to know that on Friday August 26th at approx. 1:00 pm Jersey Joe's and it's patrons will be included in a video made by RM Productions. This video will be sold to major TV Networks for airing. Sorry about the short notice!  

HDtravlr1

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 08/21/11 9:45 AM (permalink)
    Please let us know when it will air.
    Thanks
    Johnny McClanahan

JerseyJoe

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Thu, 09/8/11 7:53 AM (permalink)
      HDtravlr1

Please let us know when it will air.
      Thanks
      Johnny McClanahan

I'm still up in the air-on-this question. The video company did not show up on the day expected. This must have been due to the fact that our area was given a mandatory evacuation notice on that day because of "Hurricane Irene". I will keep you posted.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
        Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 01/22/12 8:15 AM (permalink)
        I took a ride to Jersey Joe's this past Wednesday. It's been a few years since I last had one of their Italian Hot Dogs and a few weeks since I had an Italian Hot Dog of any kind. I was in the mood for one, so off I went.

Frank the owner is the only one who prepares the dogs so it's a good bet that they will be consistently good every time. I've liked them in the past and mine was excellent on this day. There was one small change. The pizza bread came from Paramount Bakery in Newark. Now it's from a bakery in the Bronx or Brooklyn. I was shown the box, but I forget the bakery. It's of the same high quality as in the past; the supplier was changed because Frank wasn't happy with the service, not the bread.

The pizza bread was fresh and of good quality. The hot dogs (Best's) are fried in the tilted steel pan. They are a nice size, 8/1. Most use smaller dogs. Tommy's is the only other place specializing in Italian Hot Dogs I know of that uses 8/1, but theirs are longer and thinner. I prefer the standard Best's 8 that Frank uses. The peppers were nice and soft and plentiful. The potatoes are cooked to be a little crispy with just enough oil without being too greasy. They are cut thin and small compared to others that cut their potatoes thin.

As I mentioned in previous posts, every ingredient is good in this sandwich. Other places may have one or 2 ingredients that are standouts but may have another that is subpar. At Jersey Joes there isn't a weak link. I guess you could describe it as a balanced sandwich. The actual franks are my favorite in terms of size and shape. It's what I use on the rare occasions that I make an Italian Hot Dog myself.

Jersey Joe's in my opinion makes the best Italian Hot Dog south of the Driscoll Bridge and one of the four or five best anywhere. They had their origins in Newark, birthplace of the Italian Hot Dog, and continue to put out an authentic version of this sandwich that ranks with the best.

I consider Jersey Joe's, Jimmy Buff's, Tommy's, and Big Blues to be the best. Charlies Famous was as good as any and at one time on top of my list. Like Jersey Joes, all of their ingredients were great; especially the peppers. But now they no longer use Best, which to me makes a big difference.

I paid $8 for a double, which is expensive, but it seems like it is the going rate. The sandwich is quite substantial and very good. Definitely THE place to go in Central Jersey for an Italian Hot Dog.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
          Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 01/22/12 8:43 AM (permalink)
          John, Jersey Joe's is great...ever try the Italian hot dog at Boardwalk Hot Dog in nearby  Brick?

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
            Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Sun, 01/22/12 9:00 AM (permalink)
            Leethebard, no I haven't, but I was with a few people who had them once. I wouldn't like it because they use a Schickhaus frank which is pork and beef. A fine dog but all wrong for an Italian Hot Dog. A spicy all beef dog goes better with the oils and other ingredients. I do know some people who prefer a pork/beef hot dog on their Italian Hot Dog. We were at Jimmy Buffs on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour and someone specifically requested the Schickhaus hot dog rather than the usual beef dog to be put on their sandwich.

JerseyJoe

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Fri, 08/24/12 7:10 AM (permalink)
              For those who would like to know, Jersey Joes wiill be CLOSING for the winter season. The closing date is November 1st. We will REOPEN on April 1st. The close is due to personal reasons.  Our last day will be Halloween and our reopen date is April Fools Day.
              Thanx, Frank (Jersey Joe)

JerseyJoe

Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Mon, 05/6/13 7:14 AM (permalink)
                I figured that I'd keep everyone informed as to Jersey Joe's status. We are NOT out of business. True, we did not open on April 1st as scheduled due to unexpected personal issues. We hope to open our doors again as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding. Again, we are NOT out of business.
                Thanx, Frank (Jersey Joe)

<message edited by JerseyJoe on Mon, 05/6/13 7:16 AM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                  Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Mon, 05/6/13 4:49 PM (permalink)
                  Best wishes Frank!

Jersey Joe's is a favorite destination for my parents!

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                    Re:visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics Thu, 07/25/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
                    Do we have an anticipated date of opening?

The Bear

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                      Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 70 of 70

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com