The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 62
Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Tue, 01/15/13 6:56 PM (permalink)
For those of you whom have had this. Is it served hot or cold and do you top it with anything like mustard?...Russ

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
    RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Tue, 01/15/13 7:28 PM (permalink)
    Rutt's makes their own mustard.

It's out as self-serve.

I'd chill it overnight...and let it sit-out a spell.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3668
      RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Tue, 01/15/13 7:36 PM (permalink)
      It is out on counters and served at room temperture

Russ Jackson

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Tue, 01/15/13 7:51 PM (permalink)
        It just finished and it made two pints. When it says to make a paste with the flour make sure you actually make a slurry or you will be picking out clumps. Here is a picture 
        Color an texture look right and it is very sweet. I am sure once it cools it will be very good especially with some mustard to cut it....Russ

I will serve it to my staff tomorrow on some Koegle's which are now available at Meijers in Ohio. I will deep fry them also. And reviews from the staff.  

Next time I make it I am adding 2-3 chopped jalapeno's.  
        The recipe also says to make a paste with the flour, mustard, and turmeric if you do this it will seize and create had balls of flour when added into the mixture. You must make it into a slurry and I would use plain water not the liquid from the simmer. I also rinsed the chopped vegetables very well and squeezed out the moisture. 
        <message edited by Russ Jackson on Sat, 05/18/13 3:51 PM>

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Tue, 01/15/13 7:53 PM (permalink)
          Looking good!

Russ Jackson

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 10:22 AM (permalink)
            We just finished eating them for breakfast. Five people all said they were excellent. Here are a few pictures. I would say it is a sweet recipe. You could almost double the cabbage, onion and peppers while using the same amount of sugar. I will definitely make it on a regular basis. I am very glad I made it. Jalapenos will be in the next version...Russ

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 10:29 AM (permalink)
              Thanks for the report & pics!

Extra bonus credit for having hot dogs for Breakfast!

It looks great! Two cups is a load of sugar. I was amazed that the mustard amount was only a tsp.

I will make a batch on Saturday (for Sunday) and I will have to substitute 1/2 of the batch with a pepper other than green bell and use some pepper brine instead of plain vinegar.
              <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 01/16/13 10:33 AM>

Russ Jackson

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 10:36 AM (permalink)
                The recipe also says to make a paste with the flour, mustard, and turmeric if you do this it will seize and create had balls of flour when added into the mixture. You must make it into a slurry and I would use plain water not the liquid from the simmer. I also rinsed the chopped vegetables very well and squeezed out the moisture....Russ

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
                  Did you do the vegetables by hand or food processor?

Russ Jackson

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 11:01 AM (permalink)
                    I used a food processor....Russ

http://www.williams-sonom...-steel-food-processor/

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
                      RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 3:32 PM (permalink)
                      CCinNJ

Rutt's makes their own mustard.

It's out as self-serve.

I'd chill it overnight...and let it sit-out a spell.

I think John Fox put the 'they make their own mustard' story to rest when he saw jugs of branded mustard behind the counter!

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
                        RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
                        Mrs. Rutt's recipe was 'outed' a few months ago, I found it on Chowhound and it's posted on Charlie's Pool Room Facebook page (as the brothers love it!).  Thanks for trying to make it!

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 3:38 PM (permalink)
                          Ohhh I missed the mustard story. Did John Fox mention the brand?

I would guess it was Kosciusko mustard.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 740
                            RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 8:14 PM (permalink)
                            OK, I made a batch of this yesterday. Made a 1/4 batch and didn't stick real close to the measurements. Also my turmeric and celery seed and mustard seed were not very fresh. Plus, I was out of Mustard powder so I just squeezed some Frenches Yellow in. And I've never tasted Rutt's, so I don't have that to compare it to. But I do have Slawsa, and like my goop better. Mine looks just like Russ' pictures.
                            That said, I agree about 100% with Russ' comments. A bit too sweet, could use some heat. Add more vegetables. I ate 4 Hot Dogs yesterday sampling. Trying to cut the sweetness, I added some cayenne and a little more vinegar. Putting Mustard on the dog really helped. Fresh onions or Onion Crunch could help too.
                            All in all, I like this stuff. With a few tweaks, this could be a featured item on my cart, or at least on my own dogs. I presume this can be processed into jars, using same process as chow-chow or most any other relish.
                            Variations?.....I grow my own Peppers so I could use a mix(like my chili).
                            Add some more cabbage at the end to give it some crunch. Noticed no garlic in recipe...why not?
                            Add more Turmeric for more color and health benefits. Black Pepper helps the Turmeric do it's job.
                            I know copying Rutt's is the topic, but a new recipe is always cool.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                              RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 8:55 PM (permalink)
                              Mmmmm hotdogs for breakfast! Thanks for posting the recipe Russ!

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 9:53 PM (permalink)
                                I think no garlic because it's a German recipe and it's older than I am.

I like Onion Crunch!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                  RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                  This is really great! 70 year old "secret" recipe suddenly gets a revival thanks to Roadfood.

Russ's version certainly looks like Rutt's. 

If John Fox reads this thread he's free to correct me, I but I think Rutt's uses Admiration Mustard which is like the Cadillac of Food Service mustards. Usually only available in Food Service quantities from Food Service outlets, athough it turns up occasionally in Corrado's in Clifton (bought a gallon jug a couple of years ago).

PS (Edit), re: the pictures. Not sure what other people do, but if I'm putting Rutt's relish on a hot dog, I don't add mustard, the relish stands alone. It's mustardy enough.
                                  <message edited by ken8038 on Wed, 01/16/13 10:05 PM>

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 10:05 PM (permalink)
                                    The color of Rutt's would match the Dusseldorf variety of Admiration.

I agree about the mustardy. That's why I am amazed that the mustard amount is that little.
                                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 01/16/13 10:06 PM>

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 10:32 PM (permalink)
                                      Birds better not come to terrify me by circling this house...when I make this relish.

Clifton is not very far from here.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 902
                                        RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                        John Fox, tell us what you think

jcheese

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 11:14 PM (permalink)
                                          CC, you should get that phone that tells you if your family members are birds.

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Wed, 01/16/13 11:27 PM (permalink)
                                            Angry Birds = Rutt's Hut Birds.

I'll be hitting the panic button all afternoon.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                                              RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Sun, 01/20/13 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                              Rutt's used to use Gold's Dusseldorf mustard. Now they use another brand. One of the owners showed me the jar. I don't remember the brand, but it's one I never heard of and from out of state.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 902
                                                RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Mon, 01/21/13 10:05 AM (permalink)
                                                Well, we got Mrs Rutt's relish, what's next?  Mrs Fencz's Hungarian sauce?

jcheese

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Mon, 01/21/13 7:58 PM (permalink)
                                                  Still waiting to know if this recipe is the real thing. Have those who have been to Rutt's tried this?
                                                  I made it and like it, but would make a few changes to "make it my own".
                                                  Mainly add some "heat" , and maybe uncooked cabbage at the end, for crunch.
                                                  Trying to pair it with something....Chili?....Kraut?...
                                                  Also looking for other ways to use it. Tuna Salad, Egg Salad seem to work.

CCinNJ

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Tue, 01/22/13 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                                    I made a batch with variations and it was wonderful.

I'll have to get some relish to-go and try a side-by-side by following the actual recipe next week...when it gets a little bit warmer.

Corned Beef or a Bologna Burger would make a nice partner.
                                                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/22/13 10:08 AM>

jcheese

RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Mon, 02/18/13 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      Well, I've just about eaten up my first batch. Much enjoyed.
                                                      Got fresh Mustard and Turmeric and Jalapenos to start my next batch.
                                                      Any reports of your results?
                                                      Like I said, never been to Rutt's......same as my customers (well, maybe a few have). So great relish is a good thing to have.

DownNeckBetty

• Total Posts: 6
                                                        RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Sun, 03/17/13 3:53 AM (permalink)
                                                        Tweaking a recipe and making it your own is a good thing.  You know your own tastes and that of your customers if you have a hot dog cart.  Adding heat is a great idea, but I would keep a batch without heat for those who don't like the hot stuff.
                                                        And by the way, Rutt's relish is great in tuna salad, egg salad and just on a sandwich.

jcheese

• Location: Fieldale, VA
                                                          RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Thu, 04/11/13 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                                          Offered this for the first time yesterday. Today my first customer was the one who got it yesterday. Wanted nothing but the relish. Thinking of canning it.

jcheese

• Location: Fieldale, VA
                                                            RE: Rutts Hutt Relish Recipe Thu, 07/11/13 5:24 PM (permalink)
                                                            Been pushing this lately and getting good reactions.
                                                            Gonna have to make another batch, especially cuz my peppers in my garden are happening.Next batch will be hotter, due to popular demand.
                                                            My commisary is HD and USDA approved. Seriously thinking of canning (jarring) this. Local grown ingredients.  Keep yer eyes out for "Grampy's Special Relish" !
                                                            Oh, forgot. I had this last night on a Smoked Bratwurst with mustard and my first home grown tomato. It was so good, I had dreams about it and woke up craving more.
                                                            <message edited by jcheese on Thu, 07/11/13 5:29 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 62

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com