Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

To all the pies I've loved before.....

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 99
porkchopexpress

• Total Posts: 798
RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Sun, 03/1/09 6:50 PM (permalink)
Oh MY!!!!! I'm now craving Pie.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Mon, 03/2/09 2:23 PM (permalink)
    Chocolate Pie - Big Bob Gibson's - Decatur, AL

Lemon Cream Pie - Big Bob Gibson's - Decatur, AL

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
      Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Fri, 03/20/09 7:18 PM (permalink)
      Cherry crumb at the Ritz Barbeque - Allentown PA

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2367
        Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Fri, 03/20/09 8:36 PM (permalink)
        If you didn't know what this is made from, it might be one of your favorite pies.

This is a ho-made version of Dr. BBQ's $1000 Maple Bean Pie.  The recipe includes two cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans.  (I need to learn Buffetbuster's rule, take picture first-eat pie second).

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
          Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Fri, 03/20/09 8:59 PM (permalink)
          buffetbuster & wanderingjew especially, I made a homemade coconut cream pie today. I forgot how much work went into cooking everything and adding the coconut at the right time. Needless to say I was very happy with the results.

Dennis in Cary

DLnWPBrown

Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Sat, 03/21/09 12:34 PM (permalink)
             JRPfeff can I get the recipe to your $1000 maple bean pie? It looks great.

Dennis in Cary

Shara

• Total Posts: 123
              RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Sat, 03/21/09 3:19 PM (permalink)
              Oh my gosh do these all look wonderful. BB, do you ever look at all these photos and get a little disturbed that you actually ate all those pies? (I've read your trip reports, so I'm guessing no. :D) That first lemon icebox pie with those buttery crumbs on top makes me delerious just looking at it!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2367
                RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Sat, 03/21/09 4:26 PM (permalink)
                Sure Dennis.  I'd like to hear your opinion of what it tastes like.  It isn't beans.

$1000 Maple Bean Pie from Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook

4 TBSP butter
                2 TBSP flour
                3 large eggs
                1 cup evaporated milk
                1 TBSP real maple syrup
                1 tsp ground allspice
                1 tsp ground cinnamon
                1/2 tsp salt
                1 cup brown sugar
                Two 16-ounces cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans, drained and mashed
                1 large deep-dish pie crust

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a small saucepan over low heat melt the butter.  Stir in flour and mix until blended.  Set aside.  In a large bowl lightly beat the eggs.  Whisk in the evaporated milk, maple syrup, allspice, cinnamon, and salt.  Add the brown sugar and mix until well blended.  Add the mashed beans and the flour mixture and mix until well blended.  Pour he mix into the pie crust.

Bake the pie on a baking sheet for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

DLnWPBrown

RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Sat, 03/21/09 4:57 PM (permalink)
                   JPRfeff I just printed it out and will give it a try when the wife is not home so she will have no idea what is in it. I'll let you know when I make it.

Dennis in Cary

buffetbuster

RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Wed, 02/3/10 3:17 PM (permalink)
                    In case anyone is interested, I've added approximately 40 new pie photos in the last month to the original post.

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
                      RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Tue, 02/23/10 9:26 AM (permalink)
                      BB
                       Love all the Pie Photos, in all your wanderings and to New Mexico have you ever thought of Pie Town.
                      Can see headlines now.  
                      Buffetbuster eats Pie Town

http://www.dailypie.com/

http://www.pie-o-neer.com/

buffetbuster

RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Tue, 02/23/10 9:31 AM (permalink)
                        Curbside Grill-
                        While cousin Johnny and I were driving around New Mexico last Summer, we did notice Pie Town on the map.  Unfortunately, we were on a tight schedule that do, so we couldn't head over to get some photos.  A shame, because we could have a lot of fun with that!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Thu, 02/25/10 3:00 PM (permalink)
                          I absolutely have to take BB and TTM to a Marie Callandar's Bakery Restaurant during their Pie Sale Month. Chain Operation or not, I think I could finally get them to admit PIE overkill for less than $50 !!!!

Extreme Glow

RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Thu, 02/25/10 5:38 PM (permalink)
                            One slice of each please.

Extreme Glow

RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Thu, 02/25/10 5:51 PM (permalink)

Pie advice.

If you find yourself in Washington, MO.
                              http://www.cowansrestaurant.com/index.html

Or in St. Louis on a Friday or Saturday.

http://sugareebaking.com/pies_more.html

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Wed, 03/10/10 9:07 PM (permalink)
                                I have a recipe for a "cut glass pie" which I have to try, its 3 different colored jellos with some cream in a graham cracker crust with cream on top, it looks lovely, but I have to try it in a circular pie dish.  ALso, a peanut butter pie, when I try these, I'll post.  This is a wonderful, wonderful post!!!!!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                  RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Fri, 07/30/10 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                  Since wanderingjew is pimping Buffetbuster with pies he is missing in Oregon this week and I know wj is heading to Minnesota's North Shore soon, I thought I would revive this thread with a true wild blueberry pie from Satellite's Diner in Schroeder, MN. How do I know true wild blueberry? Because I picked them on the Gunflint Trail in season in July. They are considerably smaller in diameter than the store bought blueberries.

buffetbuster

RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Fri, 07/30/10 11:51 PM (permalink)
                                    Davydd-
                                    What a gorgeous slice of blueberry pie!  Thanks for sharing.

buffetbuster

RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Mon, 04/25/11 5:23 PM (permalink)
                                      In case anyone is interested, I've added 80+ photos of pie to the original post.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                        RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Mon, 04/25/11 5:30 PM (permalink)
                                        I think my head just exploded!  I still can't believe we didn't share any pie the weekend you were here!

<message edited by billyboy on Thu, 08/15/13 12:24 AM>

Ralph Melton

RE: To all the pies I've loved before..... Mon, 04/25/11 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                          How is the scutterbotch pie different from a butterscotch pie?

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                                            Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Tue, 04/26/11 9:36 AM (permalink)

buffetbuster, only because I heard the song today do I offer you the following Bill

Haley and the Comets lyrics to Skinny Minnie which -- via some type of needlepoint generator

font -- would serve as your perfect avatar (should this site ever allow as much):

"Well, do I love her?

Does a boy love pie?"

buffetbuster

Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Tue, 04/26/11 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                              billyboy-
                                              The stars just did not align for pie on that trip.  We will undoubtedly have plenty more opportunities in the future.

Ralph-
                                              I have no idea if or what the difference between butterscotch and scutterbotch.  It sure tasted like a typical butterscotch pie.

i95-
                                              Thanks for pointing out those lyrics I was unfamiliar with.  That would indeed be a fitting avatar!  We may even find some other uses for it.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1269
                                                Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Sat, 06/29/13 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                                Wow--well, that was fun!!  I only wish I had taken notes along the way so I could ask you questions about some of those pies.  Maybe I'll go back and do that, but in the meantime--fabulous catalog!

buffetbuster

Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Sat, 06/29/13 10:09 AM (permalink)
                                                  love2bake-
                                                  What is scary is that I haven't even added any pie photos for a few years.  It is on my list of things to do.

love2bake

Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Mon, 07/1/13 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                                    Along with the California trip! 

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
                                                      Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Mon, 07/1/13 7:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      To all the pies I've loved before........my mother was a pie Queen.  She would make and bake a pie before going to work in the morning.  You name it......apple, cherry, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry rhubarb, lemon meringue, coconut cream, pumpkin, raisin, and many, many more.  Her meringue was light as a cloud, her fruit fillings fresh and her pie crust........well.........she did win several state championships (PA) for her pies.  And the fried pies!  Good Heavens!  Divine!
                                                      I, on the other hand, have no skill whatsoever in pie making/baking.  It takes me half a day to make an apple pie and it's never like my Mother's!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                                        • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Wed, 08/14/13 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                                        I made another entry about this Bakery down in the Misc Forum, but decided that I needed to put it up here where the Professional PIE-EATER'S will see it for sure.
                                                          After watching a Travel Channel program titled "Pie Paradise" recently I had to locate the Bakery that made what looks like a Huge Apple Pie, one of 5 or 6 places featured in the program.

The Place is the BLUE OWL BAKERY, located just off I-55 Exit 186, about 10 miles south of downtown St Louis, Missouri.
                                                          They claim to offer about 100 different flavors of PIE and Other Baked Sweets.... with about 50 available each day.
                                                          Here is a link to their website...and one to the two flavors that caught our eye. We plan to stop in at the BLUE OWL on our next ride thru St Louis, sometime this Fall.
                                                        Bakery Website-  http://www.theblueowl.com/
                                                        The Apple Pie that weighs in at about 10 lbs and contains 16-18 apples- 
                                                          http://www.theblueowlgiftshop.com/product.php?productid=106&cat=23&page=
                                                        Janet wants some of this one...
                                                        http://www.theblueowlgiftshop.com/product.php?productid=37&cat=0&page=
                                                        Have any of you Pie Lover's enjoyed one of the creations made at the Blue Owl Bakery????

love2bake

• Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                          Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Wed, 08/14/13 6:51 PM (permalink)
                                                          Ha!!  Those pies are crazy!!!  Thank you for posting about this place.  It's on my bookmark list now. 

ChiTownDiner

Re:To all the pies I've loved before..... Wed, 08/14/13 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                                            I have enjoyed Blue Owl on my many St. Louis visits. The apple pie is really about 12 inches tall....it's awesome! The food is also really good and they have a nice outdoor covered porch for dining.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 99

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com