The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..61626364656667 > | Showing page 64 of 67, messages 1891 to 1920 of 1989
mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 07/6/13 10:39 PM (permalink)
Our Publix here in Florida are now carrying the
Hofmann Brand ....never had them before, but
we all thought they were very good. They are
a natural casing, they are also carrying the
white Snappers.

I know they are a NY Dog but thought this was a good
place to get an opinion.

mike 

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/7/13 9:50 AM (permalink)
    They are available here in Jersey at Wegmans supermarkets. Also served at Mauis in Wildwood. A quality mild tasting frank made from pork, veal, and beef.

Buffalo Tarheel

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/7/13 8:34 PM (permalink)
      Regarding the Hoffman brand hot dogs, I have had them at Heid's of Liverpool and found them to be good.  As John points out, they are mild, so the chili at Heid's is a good choice as a topper.  They are not inferior dogs that need a topping, of course.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/7/13 8:44 PM (permalink)
        They are fine with just a lttle mustard, but go great with chili. My local Wegmans sells them loose as well as packaged. My favorite dog in this style is Thumann's from Jersey, but the manager of the deli department told me that Hofmann's outsells Thumann's 3 to 1.

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/7/13 8:51 PM (permalink)
          I charred the Hofmanns up real good on the grill, then
          served them on Martin's potato buns. 
          They took the char real well. Topped with mustard,
          relish, onion and kraut for those that like kraut.
          They were very good!

mike

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 07/9/13 10:55 AM (permalink)
            ken8038

"...Natale's in Summit, NJ, also bakes their own hot dog rolls"

johnlockedema: Thanks so much for that tip. My wife and visiting sister-in-law went shopping in Summit on Wednesday, and I came along for the ride. On the way we passed the Summit Bakery so we stopped in. I can't say for sure I'd ever been in there, although I know I've passed the building before.

Bottom line, everybody at our 4th of July cookout was raving about the Hot Dogs rolls. I think they gained a few new customers. Great rolls, Thanks again!

PS: The Zweigles from Wegman's went over well too, although I could do without the "split open" feature, which makes them harder to grill and not attractive to look at.

Glad you liked the Natale's rolls.  I'd make the trip to Union to Carmen's, as the rolls are larger to fit the size hot dogs I usually buy, and they are better textured and a bit cheaper as well.  I'm looking forward to trying a few other places over the summer for my 'best' north Jersey hot dog roll!

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 07/12/13 8:23 PM (permalink)

To celebrate National Hot Dog Month, Rob Merlino, the Hotdogman, has featured a different hot dog joint each day of the month. Check out his site, hotdogstories.com. 2 Jersey icons were featured the last 2 days. I was happy to be chosen to give a little narration.

http://hotdogstories.com/rutts-hut-national-hot-dog-month-day-12/
              http://hotdogstories.com/jimmy-buffs-national-hot-dog-month-day-10/

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 184
                Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 07/25/13 11:47 PM (permalink)
                What kind of hot dog buns hold up to toppings? Usually I find the bottom of my bun falls apart.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 07/26/13 4:32 PM (permalink)
                  Pechter's bakery in Harrison,Nj makes a very good hotdog bun, holds the hotdog and toppings very well & hardly ever fallls apart like some of the store bought brands. Calandra's bakery in Newark,Nj also makes a very good hotdog bun, a little bit firmer than the traditional type of bun but has a great flavor.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 07/26/13 6:01 PM (permalink)
                    I use the buns from Pechters, which merged with Rockland bakeries. Rarely do I go to Harrison, but I often buy them at Father  & Son in Linden. If I'm off during the week, or on a Sunday, I go to Carmens in Union. Their rolls are even better.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 07/31/13 9:42 AM (permalink)
                      I recently found and enthusiastically ate a very good example of what you might call the country cousin of the frankfurter: The Corn Dog. 

No pre-packaged offering, the corn dog at Bella's Burger Shack (2 S Finley Ave, back of building, Basking Ridge, NJ, 07920) is what they inform is a "locally sourced," all-beef, natural casing dog hand-battered and perfectly deep fried. I'm here to tell you that it is the best corn dog I've eaten east of the Jefferson County Fair, Fairfield, Iowa, 52556.

The young lady behind the counter didn't know the exact provenance of the tube steak within...only that it's, again, locally sourced from a provision company. I thought it tasted fine, and played its part of the combo-delicacy with notable aplomb....although, curiously, a cross section of the frank divulged a light, pinkish texture, which, to me generally means a pork component. Additionally, I thought there was a hint of porkiness....though, perhaps, this was a smokiness I mistook for pork. Or, it could be I was harkening back to Iowa, the cornfields, the fair, and, just maybe, the memory of the racing pigs somehow seeped into my taste bud control center.
                       In any case, while not quite like finding a shorter route to the East, I feel great accomplishment and fulfillment. This is now going to be my go-to place for corn dogs. Now, if I could only find a good place for the ever-elusive chicken croquettes, and another for the even scarcer French apple pie.

The Bear 

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 07/31/13 1:25 PM (permalink)
                        Oh yummm a natural casing on a corn dog.

SB sounds like you really found a winner there.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 08/2/13 4:01 PM (permalink)
                          The other day my wife and I went to a place in Clifton that seems to fly totally under the radar, called The New Corral. And, yep, they specialize in Texas Weiners in the Clifton/Paterson style. I only heard of it because a friend of mine who used to live in Clifton mentioned it to me, he said he used to go there back in the 70's and 80's. It apparently changed it's name from just The Corral to the New Corral when it was remodeled in the 80's.

So, off we went. Fairly small diner-type place, very old school, of course.  My wife had a Greek salad, which was huge, and only about $7. I had 2 Texas Weiners all the way, and we shared an order of Onion rings and an Order of French Fries. The ring and fry orders were also huge, good, not great, but only about $3 each, a great price for the size of the order.

The weiners and sauce were typical, well prepared and tasty, easily comparable to the more well known places. They were quite small though, probably about 10 to a pound. The waitress said they were Thumans. They tasted like they could have been Thumann's but I wasn't aware they made a dog that small. They were only $2 each, so the price was fair, given the small size.

No web site, but Yelpers seem mostly to like it:
                          http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-new-corral-clifton

Anyway, I'm not sure it merits a 1/2 hour ride from Union County, unless you're in the area, but it's nice to know there's such a good place that is still under the NJ Hot Dog Radar. And it turns out there's a great Turkish Bakery just across the street.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 08/2/13 7:47 PM (permalink)
                            I would like to plan a small NJ hotdog day for my son and myself. I'm thinking Clifton would be a great start! Thanks for posting this Ken!

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 08/4/13 5:07 AM (permalink)

The 10th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be Saturday, September 21st. It is sold out with a waiting list as there are usually some cancellations. The itinerary is finalized. As always there are a couple of new stops while old favorites are rotated. This year's itinerary includes 2 new stops, one that is a repeat from last year, and some that we haven't been to in awhile. All represent some of what I consider the finest in their respective styles. Since there is one large bus this year instead of two, we will have the time to include an extra stop. Perhaps next year we will move the Tour further south. The stops are listed below with a brief description. Please note that with the exception of our starting point, the order has not been determined yet. I want to leave that open because I am currently talking to two television stations in the hopes of having at least one of them cover the Tour. It's probable that they would want to meet at a prticular place and time.

1) Galloping Hill Inn, Union. Our starting point and the only place that has been on every tour. They are kind enough to let us use their huge parking lot and serve one of the finest hot dogs in Jersey. A grilled (griddled) 6/1 special blend beef/pork frank from Grote & Weigel. One of the few places that serves a dog made special for them. It is based on a recipe from a small pork store in Union that used to provide these dogs to the GHI. It has a collagen casing and is served on a unique, harder football shaped bun. Only the Hot Grill in Clifton serves more hot dogs in the course of a day.

2) Marci's Dog House, Clark. A repeat from last year. Their dogs were so good that they have been added again as a stop. And, unlike last year, they have 2 new dogs. The premium 8/1 Hatfield (griddled) that was such a hit on past Tours at the Rahway Grill. And a special recipe from Hatfield that is made just for Marci's. Another instance of a place serving a dog made for them. This is welcome and rare as most in the business who claim this are lying. But Marci's and the GHI are truly offering dogs you cannot get elsewhere and made only for them. The special recipe dog at Marci's has a slightly different spicing and is bigger; about 6/1. Also available is the Sabrett 10/1 with Marci's excellent toppings. Named the state's best hot dog truck by the Star Ledger. They also make a great Italian Hot Dog.

3) Jimmy Buff's Kenilworth. A new stop. This location is a few years old and along with West Orange are the only two remaining Jimmy Buff's retaurants. The others, including East Hanover, which has been on the Tour 5 years, have closed. This Jimmy Buff's, in my opinion, is the best out of all the locations I've been to. And along with Tommy's and Marci's Dog House, one of the 3 best establishments serving this unique sandwich. This location is thriving despite being 2 blocks away from a big name competitor. Jimmy Buff's serves the traditional Italian Hot Dog. This particular place is known for better bread, bigger dogs, and more peppers and potatoes. A substantial, quality Italian Hot Dog. Big roomy retaurant also.

4) Father & Son, Linden. A past favorite on the Tour. It's been awhile since they were included. They had different owners a few years ago and service was lax and the dogs weren't served hot and fresh. This has changed in the past year as new owners bought and revived the place. Father & Son is back to what it was years ago. Same chili and dogs. An all beef natural casing 8/1 Grote & Weigel frank that is available nowhere else in Jersey. Topped with one of the spiciest and best chili's. A popular stop in the past. I'm glad to be able to include them again.

5) Munce's, Rahway. Munce's, in my opinion is one of the 3 finest hot dog trucks in Jersey. Stuart Burnett owns Munce's and is doing a great job. He has a tasty homemade chili that is one of my 3 favorites. Slightly sweet, unique, and very pleasing. Munce's serves a standard 10/1 natural casing Sabrett that is always fresh and hot. Prepared perfectly. But they also have what I consider one of the best, if not the best, butcher shop dogs around. Slightly bigger than the Sabrett, it is milder, with a wider array of subtler spices. An excellent dog and one of my favorites. A brand new stop on the Tour.

6) The Hot Grill, Clifton. On the Tour once before, it's time to bring them back. A classic North Jersey Paterson/Clifton area Texas Weiner. They serve more hot dogs than any New Jersey establishment. A deep fried beef/pork frank topped with mustard, onions, and a thin chili sauce that has cloves, nutmeg, and allspice. Not for everyone, but wildly popular in North Jersey. One of the most consistent places as far as the temperature of the franks and chili. The dogs (they use 8/1 Sabrett beef/pork and 8/1 Grote & Weigel beef/pork) are fried twice. They sell their chili to go. My favorite place for a Texas Weiner. A favorite of Tommy John and former President Richard Nixon.

7) Rutt's Hut, Clifton. Easily the most well known hot dog joint in Jersey. And one of the best. Around since 1928, Rutt's is known for their deep fried dogs. You can get them served to various degrees of doneness. From the in-n-outer, to the ripper, to the weller, to the cremator. Rutt's uses a special frank made for deep frying. Made by Thumann's, it is beef and pork, 8 to a lb. Rutt's homemade relish is like no other and perfectly complements their deep fried dogs.

As I mentioned, this Tour is sold out, but you can add your name to the waiting list. There will not be another bus.

johnlockedema

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 08/8/13 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                agnesrob

I would like to plan a small NJ hotdog day for my son and myself. I'm thinking Clifton would be a great start! Thanks for posting this Ken!

Agnes, I posted a link to a pdf specifically on hot dogs in Clifton on the Hot Dog Nation facebook page today.  I can't figure out how to link it here.

johnlockedema

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 08/8/13 7:41 PM (permalink)
                                  FYI, the Getty Grill in Clifton, former stop on a previous Hot Dog Tour, has closed-an Arabic restaurant is now on the site.

ken8038

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 08/18/13 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                    Back before the 4th of July I posted that I had bought a pack of Wardynski's Hot Dogs, made in Buffalo, bought at Wegman's in Bridgewater. At the time since we already had plenty of food for our cookout, I reluctantly put them in the freezer for later use.

Well, that later use came up quite unexpectedly last night. I had a couple of friends over for a few beers and to listen to old stupid Rock and Roll, like we do a couple times a year.

Around 9PM we got hungry, and instead of putting out the usual spread of cheese and crackers and sliced meats, I decided to grill up the Wardynski's. I just may have found my new favorite store-bought Hot Dog.

Keep in mind that these dogs were prepared under the worst possible conditions. They had been the freezer for almost 2 months, and were defrosted on short-notice via microwave. Yet, we all agreed these were some of the best Hot Dogs we had ever had.

Hard to describe the flavor. They had a sort of sweet taste to them, definately a different flavor profile than Thumann's. Seemed to have all that flavor and somehow a little less greasy too. And a good size, 6 to a lb. in the pack. We each had two.

I sure hope Wegmans still has them. Labor Day is coming up.

My new favorite tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjRl-TSmGEk

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 08/18/13 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                      OK, Ken, I'll bite. High praise, indeed.
                                       I wasn't sold until I viewed the commercial. Though I've yet to make my first visit to Wegman's, I now have further impetus.
                                       The Bear
                                      <message edited by ScreenBear on Sun, 08/18/13 10:01 PM>

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 08/27/13 11:11 PM (permalink)
                                        Hello all ,
                                        Big thanks once again to my partner John Fox for finalizing the intinerary for the 10th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour
                                        Kudos to him  . To think we would still be doing it 10 yrs later . Hop over to FB page Hot Dog Nation if you want to be kept up to date on evrerything form the tours as most from roadfood also post over there too now
                                        Benzee

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 08/27/13 11:12 PM (permalink)
                                          Don't know why there are double posts by me all of a sudden

Benzee

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 184
                                            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 08/28/13 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                            I finally stopped at Cool Dog Cafe in Cherry Hill, NJ. The place has plenty of seating inside (I dunno 10 or so tables) and 2 small tables outside. It was very clean. I watched as people left, they were already going to clean the tables. The two ladies behind the counter were very friendly.

Sabrett's hot dogs. Very nicely fried.

I had a Thai Satay Dog.. this was Thai Peanut Sauce, Scallions, Sesame Seeds, and Chow Mein Noodles. I asked for extra sauce. I probably shouldn't have.. it was too much, even for a sauce lover like myself. The noodles had a nice crunch. The sauce should have been warmer/warm.

My Aunt had a Hey Mac dog. Nothing fantastic to see here. A dog topped with Mac N Cheese. She liked it, though, and there was a good portion of topping.

My Grandmother has fish at a hot dog place, go figure. Beer-Battered Fish, Lettuce, Cole Slaw, Thousand Island Dressing. She said it was really good.

We had fries. They are fried twice. Thinly sliced, skin on. They were a little cold and mushy. While nice looking fries, I didn't really care for them.

Sauces I forget all the sauces they had.. we tried curry mayo and kaboom sauce. Kaboom had a nice heat to it.

Their website is newly designed (at least since I've been there last). They have more dogs not listed on their website, specials on the wall that either customers recommend or something.. I wish they'd post those up too. It'd make me crave going back there more.

johnlockedema

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 08/29/13 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                              Now that Pal's Cabin is closed, they are selling some of their products at the Fairchild Market in nearby Roseland.  They mentioned the other day they had their 1/4 and 1/2 lb burgers for sale, as well as their 1/4 famous hot dogs, for Labor Day bbqs.  I asked on their FB page about the dogs, and they were fine to reply they were natural casing, beef and pork Schickhaus.  Props to them for giving out good information, as they probably are cheaper in the supermarket than at Fairchild.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 08/29/13 8:04 PM (permalink)
                                                johnlockedema

agnesrob

Agnes, I posted a link to a pdf specifically on hot dogs in Clifton on the Hot Dog Nation facebook page today.  I can't figure out how to link it here.

Thanks so much! I have access to HD Nation.

ken8038

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 08/29/13 8:59 PM (permalink)
                                                  I was at Wegman's in Bridgewater today and they have a good supply of Wardynski's Hot Dogs. I bought two packs, 6 to a lb. each.  We are set for Labor Day.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 08/31/13 8:09 AM (permalink)
                                                    Ken, about 5 or 6 years ago I was sent a package of Wardynski's and a package of Sahlen's by a woman who is from the area and who I gave information for a book. They tasted very much alike. I'll have to try them again before the summer is over and they are no longer stocked.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 08/31/13 8:12 AM (permalink)

My favorite place to get a beef dog was Syd's. Opened in the Weequahic section in Newark in 1942 by Syd Goldstein. Over the years there were a number of owners, but the same great hot dogs. Syd's moved to the Millburn Mall in Union in 1967 and closed for good a few years ago when the landlord forced several busineses including Tabatchnicks and Sonny Amster's out.

Their dog was a 5/1 natural casing Best's that you could get boiled or grilled. Grilled was actually boiled first, then charbroiled. Most got it this way. Named as the best hot dog joint by the Star Ledger the first year they did the Munchmobile series. And again in 2006 by a panel that reviewed 87 places. A very popular stop in the early years of the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. At the time they closed, Syd's was the only place serving Best's franks (Best has only one recipe) at this size and casing. Best continued to make this dog for their walk in customers and any business that wanted ...them. Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover (now closed) served this dog. Currently there is a place in Millburn serving it the same way as Syd's. Unfortunately they are using a cheap supermarket bun that falls apart. The only other places I know of that currently serve this dog is Bubba's in Seaside which prepares it on a griddle, and a bagel shop in Livingston that I've never been to.

Marci's Dog House in Clark will be serving this dog Saturday and Sunday. They have a grill now and will be serving it the same way as Syd's. You also have the option of adding their fine toppings. A popular dog at Syd's was called sweet works. It had mustard, sweet relish, and sauerkraut. I got mine with mustard only since the dog was so good.

Another fine addition by Marci's. Rob Marciano now offers the two franks (Syd's and premium Hatfield's) that were by far the most popular as voted by hot dog connoiseurs attending the Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour over the years. I' m glad this excellent dog, which was and is my favorite, will be available close to me and prepared the right way. I hope it becomes if not a permanent offering, one that is a frequent special.

ken8038

• Location: scotch plains, NJ
                                                        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 08/31/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                                        <<Ken, about 5 or 6 years ago I was sent a package of Wardynski's and a package of Sahlen's by a woman who is from the area and who I gave information for a book. They tasted very much alike

Interesting. I bought some Sahlen's at Wegman's a couple of years ago and they reminded me very much of Thumann's. The Wardynski's I had recently didn't remind me of Thumann's at all. I doubt if the recipe has changed, just a matter of taste I guess. If it matters, the Wardynski's at Wegmans are labeled Pork and Beef (in that order) "Hot Dogs" with natural sheep's casing. Maybe there's different varieties.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 09/1/13 7:13 AM (permalink)
                                                          No, that's what I had, but it was awhile ago and was sent through the mail which could have affected the flavor. Sahlen's are good on the grill and have a unique peppery flavor.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                            • Location: New York, NY
                                                            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 09/3/13 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                                            big g in joisey

Pechter's bakery in Harrison,Nj makes a very good hotdog bun, holds the hotdog and toppings very well & hardly ever fallls apart like some of the store bought brands. Calandra's bakery in Newark,Nj also makes a very good hotdog bun, a little bit firmer than the traditional type of bun but has a great flavor.

I hate to be a stickler, but I believe the hot dog rolls sold at the Pechter's outlet in Harrison are actually baked by H&S Bakery/Northeast Foods. I think they bake a few slightly different formulas. I have often bought their bags of 12 individual hot dog rolls under the Harvest Pride name.
                                                            http://www.hsbakery.com/index.cfm?page=products_hotdog_rolls
                                                            and click on the image in the middle of the bottom row.
                                                            <message edited by David_NYC on Tue, 09/3/13 2:11 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..61626364656667 > | Showing page 64 of 67, messages 1891 to 1920 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 6 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com