The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..61626364656667 > | Showing page 65 of 67, messages 1921 to 1950 of 1989
big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 09/6/13 2:56 PM (permalink)
It's been a while since I was at Pechter's in Harrison, I used to stop by at least every other week for their great  rye bread and other fine baked goods. The last time I bought their hotdog rolls, they were packaged in clear plastic, no markings, some of the Hotdog Vendors in the Newark area carry their rolls,but the cases they are packed in have Rockland bakery on the box.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 09/6/13 7:14 PM (permalink)
    I've heard that Rockland Bakery owns Pecter's. Not positive but I think the Harvest Pride buns are for longer hot dogs.

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 09/8/13 9:57 AM (permalink)
      Pechter's in Harrison doesn't sell hot dog rolls 'loose', among all the other varieties of bread and rolls that they do-so I'm guessing they aren't baked onsite. 

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 09/19/13 8:39 PM (permalink)
        The 10th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour is less than 2 days away! For those attending, the order will be: Galloping Hill Inn, Jimmy Buff's Kenilworth, Marci's, Father & Son, Munce's, Hot Grill, and Rutt's Hut.

I spoke with the people who run these establishments and everything is set. See the pinned post above for information on the these places as well as what they offer. Marci's will have in addition to their Sabrett dirty water dog, the special Hatfield griller made especially for them, as well as the Syd's dog. They will not be offering their Italian Hot Dog. Munce's will also have a dog from a local butcher shop that is fantastic.

Let me make a few suggestions. First, pace yourself. Many of us can eat 7 hot dogs over the course of a day. Those who can't, or don't want to, are encouraged to share, skip a place that has a particular dog or method of preparation that you may not care for, or get the dog to eat at another time. You may not want to fill up on items like french fries in order to leave room for hot dogs. Or else eat them as a change of pace if you want.

Another suggestion: if you live anywhere near this particular area, you've probably had a Sabrett frank before. Done right, they are excellent. But the two stops that offer them have other options that you may not have had. Or had in a long time. Marci's offers the Syd's dog prepared exactly like Syd's. In water, then charbroiled. It is my favorite hot dog. Marci's also has a premium hot dog from Hatfield that really is made special for him. Similar to Hatfield's premium beef dog (but bigger with a slightly different spicing) this is one of the best beef dogs I've sampled. And you can only get it here.

Munce's also offers another dog in addition to his fine natural casing Sabretts. It is from a local butcher and is one of the 2 or 3 best hot dogs I've had in this style. Of course you can get one of these dogs AND a Sabrett. Just giving some suggestions and options.

Out of all the Tours, I believe this one has the widest variety of hot dog choices as well as the best quality dogs offered. Thanks to my partner Benzee who worked his butt off in preparation for this Tour. And to Screenbear, who has agreed to be the narrator/tour guide again this year. In years past, he did one bus, I did the other. We will have one bus this year, and since he does such a great job, (see the video of last year's Tour), he will be doing the honors on the bus this year.

It will be a fun day and the weather should cooperate. Looking forward to seeing everyone that will be attending this year.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 09/22/13 10:08 AM (permalink)

The 10th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour is in the books. Thanks to my partner Benzee who put in a lot of work in preparation for this Tour. Screenbear who did a great job as Tour narrator. Dennis our driver. Rob Merlino who spent the day filming the Tour for Hotdogstories.com. Barbara from nj.com. The men and women who run the establishments we visited. They all provided excellent food and service. Last, but not least those of you who attended. You made it a fun day. It's nice to see old friends and to meet new ones.

We had people attend from Alabama, San Francisco, and surrounding states. A lot of travelling after a long day of eating hot dogs. Please feel free to post pictures and opinions.

I thought this Tour had the widest varieties of hot dogs. We had the Syd's dog, a special premium Hatfield dog, a terrific Italian Hot Dog, a locally made top quality frank from a butcher, an authentic Texas Weiner, dirty water Sabretts, the deep fried dog... at Rutt's, and the quality dog from the GHI. Plus all the fantastic homemade toppings. Chili, kraut, relish; all great and made to perfectly complement a hot dog. I always ask for favorites on the bus. This year every place had at least a few people who considered them their favorite. Rutt's Hut, which most either love or hate, proved to be one of the top favorites this year. The Syd's dog from Marci's was right up there as well as the chili dogs from Father & Son. But all the stops were well liked and they all provided good service. Of course there were a few that skipped Rutt's Hut even though they got as much or more votes for favorite dog as the others named.

I sampled every dog offered with the exception of the Sabretts. Seven stops; at least 10 different dogs offered. I enjoyed all of them. And they were all fresh, hot and well prepared. Some days I might enjoy one type or style of dog more than another. Depends on the mood. I would say that today I enjoyed all about the same, but if forced to pick a favorite it would be the Syd's dog from Marci's. Syd's was my favorite hot dog joint. Though they are gone, the company still makes these dogs. I'm glad that I can get them at the factory, but also that I can go out and have one at a place like Marci's. I wish that other places served this exceptional dog.

Thanks for making this my favorite day of the year. We are already planning for next year. Feel free to post pictures, opinions, and suggestions.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 09/22/13 10:17 AM (permalink)

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
              Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 09/24/13 6:54 PM (permalink)
              Looks like the NY Times has Crossed the River.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/dining/dog-ziggity-new-jerseys-own-hot-dogs.html?hpw

Actually, Robert Sietsema is one of my favorite NY food writers. He did a pretty good job on this considering he was on foreign soil.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 09/25/13 8:47 AM (permalink)
                Todays New York Times is covering NJ Hot Dogs (or "Franks" as we said in Brooklyn), with slide show:

http://www.nytimes.com/20...seys-own-hot-dogs.html

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 09/26/13 2:03 PM (permalink)
                  I have a new hot dog place, but had no time to add it to the NJ Hot Dog Map yet. Not sure if it has been mentioned here before.

Jimmy G's in Hamilton, NJ. They employee told me they opened about 5 or 6 months ago, but I only saw their advertisement yesterday in a local paper, and if you check NJ.com they opened about 3 months ago. I think they might have another location in Trenton, NJ or have moved from there. I didn't read the whole article.

They don't really have a whole lot on the menu and nothing interesting. I didn't ask what brand of dog they use, but it was nothing special. Nicely grilled.

The "works" is really an Italian Hot dog, but instead of pizza bread it's on a hoagie roll. Larger and stronger than a hot dog bun, but not large enough to be a sub. Potatoes were not crispy enough, but peppers were big and tasty.

In addition to that they also serve Kielbasa and Cheesesteaks made of ribeye.

Cheese choices were american and provolone I believe.

A single works was $4.50. Double was $5.50 I think. Kielbasa was $6.75.

RandellButts

• Total Posts: 16
                    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 10/3/13 10:38 PM (permalink)
                    Anyone ever try Big D's in Dover. He has a truck next to the train station. He also makes italian hot dogs and sausages a couple days a week.

johnlockedema

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 10/17/13 12:49 PM (permalink)
                      FYI, the Stewarts hot dog and root beer location in Stirling, NJ on Valley Road has closed and an Italian restaurant has taken its place.  Years ago it was a tiny hot dog/luncheonette spot with about 8 stools on a counter, then it was repurposed into a much larger Stewarts.

bigd

• Total Posts: 46
                        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 10/17/13 9:54 PM (permalink)
                        That Stewart's location was horrible. Terrible service mediocre to bad food. I can't believe that it stayed open as long as it did. people would try it and never return. There was never anyone there.

ken8038

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 10/18/13 9:01 AM (permalink)
                          Big D: You beat me to it, I was going to say almost the exact same thing.  It was the type of place I really wanted to like. Loved the location and the looks of the place, but the food and service were awful. Never went back. That was 5 or 6 years ago, and since then whenever I'd pass by  (maybe a couple of times a year) I'd always be surprised it was still open.

johnlockedema

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/20/13 7:59 PM (permalink)
                            I had a good experience the two times I went there-it never was a destination place, but if I was in the area and felt like a hot dog I'd stop by.  Today I was down the shore, so I had a hot dog at the Windmill in Belmar, which hit the spot.  What didn't was being charged an extra $.40 for a hard roll for Nancy's California Cheeseburger!

ken8038

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 10/25/13 8:02 PM (permalink)
                              Today after finishing my twice a month Costco in Edison shopping I decided to continue about 1/2 hour South to Lawrenceville and Captain Paul's Firehouse Dogs for lunch.  I'm glad  I did, it was  well worth the drive.

It's a nicely done Roadside Stand, with several picnic tables on an outside patio, and a cramped interior with a few stools at the counter. They seemed quite busy at around Noon. All the food items have firehouse-themed names, and there is a lot of firehouse-themed knick knacks to look at.

I had a Third Alarm Dog (Chili, onions, and mustard) and one of their sort-of Italian Hot Dog variations, called a Signal 22 (Torpedo Roll, fried potatoes, peppers, and fried onion petals). I also ordered sides of Fries and Onion rings.

The Chili Dog was one of the best I've ever had. The dogs are a standard issue Hatfield dog, but the chili is prepared very differently from the North Jersey style. It was on the sweet side and very tasty, held together nicely with a good quality roll. The Signal 22 was loaded with peppers but kind of light on the potatoes and onion petals. It was very well prepared but the peppers were a little bitter to my taste. The fries were shoestring and crispy and quite good, the onion rings were excellent, with a very unique seasoning to the batter which  I couldn't quite place.

What set this place over the top was the total friendliness and helpfulness of the staff of 3. Everybody was constantly in motion, taking orders, doing the cooking, packing the orders, carrying the food to the outside tables, and chatting with the regulars. It's the kind of place where I felt like a regular after only one visit. They even said "Come back soon, Ken! as I was leaving (they had my name from when I placed my order). I plan to do just that (Come back soon). Mercer County is not noted for its Hot Dog Places, but this one is definitely on the map.

http://www.captainpaulsdogs.com/index.html

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 10/25/13 8:13 PM (permalink)

This afternoon I went to a place called Old School Italian Hot dogs. It's a tiny place resembling a Chinese takeout joint, which it might have been previously. I should have asked. It's located on Stuyvesant Ave. in Irvington just over the Union border. I only heard of this place a few weeks ago but it's been open about 3 years. I ordered a double to go, no onions, no ketchup. The bread is from DiPaola's down the street in Union, the dogs are Sabrett 8/1.

I got home to discover the peppers were left off despite repeating my order twice and having it written down. As for the rest of the sandwich, it was a bit of a disappointment. Overly dry. The bread, which I've had before from DiPaola's, and is good when I buy it fresh, wasn't fresh today. The potatoes were cut in chunks and also dry with hardly any flavor. The dogs were fine though I prefer Best on an Italian Hot Dog. An authentic IHD, but not a very good one. It would do if there were no other choices within miles. I wouldn't go here for an IHD, but they do have a pretty good deal on regular Sabretts. $5.00 for 3 dogs, 8/1 and a soda.

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 10/26/13 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                  @ken: Love Captain Paul's and sung praises in a review here:

http://theshortreviews.bl...uls-firehous-dogs.html

I believe he uses Sabrett's, not Hatfield. He had a Sabrett umbrella I believe inside. He has a friend Russ Ayres down in Bordentown who has the same setup as him, but I've never went there yet.

Paul is a super nice guy!! You're right.. from the first visit you go there they become your friends. It's like the Cheers of hot dogs. I don't go down that way as often as I used to, but awhile ago took my Aunt and Grandmother to some stores down there and Paul's was my go to place for lunch. I believe he even remembered my name. I took my Aunt and Grandmother and after our food was cooked he came out and said hello to everyone. If I had extra cash, he'd be the type of person I'd want to give a Christmas card and a gift certificate for dinner.

Next time I go I'm going to inquire about his Italian Chili. It's off the menu and I want some. I don't know what was in it, but it had a nice zing to it. Maybe because having two kinds of chili then you get one that doesn't sell. I'd take his Italian Chili over the other one any day.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 10/26/13 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                    A place I haven't been to, but will check out. Thanks for the posts.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 10/26/13 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                      I finally made it to Destination Dogs. Been meaning to for a long time. A friend has been there and recommended the dogs and other sausages. They have a wide variety of offerings; similar to Hot Dougs in Chicago. One difference is that all of the sausages (except the frankfurter) are made in house. Doug's gets them from many sources. The dog is an 8/1 natural casing Sabrett prepared on a griddle. You can visit their site at http://www.destinationdogs.com.

First I had the Cyclone which is their hot dog with mustard, chili, and onions. I omitted the onions. This dog was excellent and I'll go so far as to say that it was the best Sabrett I've had. Although I love the premium Hatfield and the Berk's dog served at Local Smoke, I prefer Sabrett to these brands provided it is prepared my favorite way. Which for a Sabrett is on the griddle. Like they do at Katz's, Papaya King, Gray's, and Boulevard Drinks. The bun here is by far the best bun I've had. It is their take on a French milk bread, or brioche. Very tasty and able to hold their various toppings without falling apart. Toasted and buttered and the right texture without being greasy. Just a fantastic hot dog bun.

The chili was also excellent. I had anticipated that the dog and bun would be very good based on what I heard but the chili far exceeded my expectations. Similar to North Jersey Texas Weiner chili but thicker and not as over the top with spicing. Overall a helluva dog and one of my favorites.

The bratwurst was also excellent. Made in house and a little different than your normal high quality brat from a pork store. This one is served on the same bun as the hot dog and topped with mustard, kraut (which was very good) and onions, which I again omitted. The bratwurst was veal and pork, nicely spiced with some black pepper, and coarsely ground. I loved it.

At this point my son (a Rutgers student who was at the library) joined me for a beer and a dog. My first dog had chili on half. It was so good I got another dog with chili on the whole thing. My son had the same.

Jimmy the owner was very cordial and great to talk to. I wish this place well and will be back soon. Great food, service, and beer selection.

ken8038

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/27/13 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                        <<I believe he uses Sabrett's, not Hatfield

Maybe they switch around. The gal taking the orders told me they use Hatfield.

John, thanks for the review of Destination Dogs. I tend to avoid places that seem to favor wierd combinations over a basically good dog, but based on your review, I plan to get there and try the basic chili dog and also the Bratwurst. Maybe have a beer too. Thanks.

ciffman

• Total Posts: 5
                                          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 11/19/13 11:09 PM (permalink)
                                          There aren't that many good chili dogs left in NJ.  I went to a place off rt 80 a couple weeks ago, as I saw a sign on 80 and my curiosity led me there (name escapes me right now) and it was terrible.  The only option is The Hot Grill in my opinion.  Fat Mike's was superior, but alas it is gone.  Calahans' was also great, but another casualty. 

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 11/20/13 9:17 AM (permalink)
                                            There are different types of chili. Paterson/Clifton area chili like the Hot Grill, thicker Coney style chili like at the Plainfield area places, tomato based chili found at a lot of trucks, spicy chili like at Father & Son. Also sweeter chili like the Rahway Grill. All depenfs on your taste. I like Pappy's, Destination Dogs, Father & Son, Hiram's, Hot Grill, Manny's, Munce's, and others. Check them out. I think the place off Rt 80 is Davy's Dogs.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                                              Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 11/22/13 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                              One of my favorite Chilidogs is Tony's HotDog Truck in Branch Brook Park on Lake street in Newark, excellent chili and their hot onions are very good as well. As stated by John Fox and ScreenBear, Father & Son in Linden serves a very good Chilidog, just the right amount of spice to add a little heat to their chili.

bigd

• Total Posts: 46
                                                Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 11/28/13 12:54 AM (permalink)
                                                Destination Dogs looks semi-interesting but way overpriced. Probably because they have a bar and nice surroundings so you are paying for their rent. As is typical in NJ, no reviews of fries. In Chicago, the fries are a critical part of a stand's reviews. In Jersey this isn't true. Usually in NJ, the fries are an afterthought and mostly frozen. I don't see a lot of fairly priced hand cut and double fried FF's.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 11/28/13 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                                  In Chicago many, if not most places put the fries on top of the hot dog. If I'm having fries with my dog, which I don't most of the time, I prefer them to be fresh and handcut; not frozen, and served on the side. Most of the time I prefer to have an extra hot dog or 2 rather than fries. If I want something on the side I usually get cole slaw.

Although I didn't have fries at DD, I saw others enjoying them. They are hand cut and fried twice. Looked very good.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                                                    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 11/28/13 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                                    While I like fries---preferably handcut---as well as the next hot dog enthusiast, what I really like on the side with my tube steaks is good and cold red-skinned potato salad. 

The Bear

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                                      • Location: New Milford, NJ
                                                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 11/28/13 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                                      Many kosher delis give potato salad on the hot dog as an option, including, the Foster Village Kosher Delicatessen, one of the few left in New Jersey: http://www.fostervillagekosherdeli.com/home.php

Bart

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 12/1/13 8:25 AM (permalink)
                                                        It was posted on Hot Dog Nation that Texas Weiner ll on Route 22 west is closed. It is not known whether they went under ( which I doubt), or if they sold the business or property which I think is more likely. They opened  in the 1920's and were what many defined as a Plainfield area Texas Weiner. Grilled (rather than deep fried like the Paterson area style) and having a thicker chili. Many guys who worked there as grillmen went on to open their own places. Manny, of Manny's Texas Weiners was one.

Texas Weiners ll joins Syd's, Callahan's, Eagan's, Pals Cabin, and others who have departed this life and went to that big hot dog stand in the sky.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                                                          • Location: Westfield, NJ
                                                          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 12/1/13 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                                          Let us hope that from all these noble ashes arise the greatest Hot Dog Joints yet. 

The Bear

P.S.---Any word on the progress at Charlie's Pool Room....any Grand Reopening planned?

ken8038

• Location: scotch plains, NJ
                                                            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 12/1/13 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                                            Actually, I think it's the downtown Plainfield original (Texas Weiner I) that's been open since 1924. In any event, the Rt 22 location has always been one of my favorite NJ Hot Dogs spots (although it went downhill for a while in the mid 2000's). I will miss it.

I haven't been to the Downtown Plainfield location in several years (parking is awful) but I heard they recently renovated and expanded, so we still have that.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..61626364656667 > | Showing page 65 of 67, messages 1921 to 1950 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 6 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com