The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..61626364656667 | Showing page 67 of 67, messages 1981 to 1989 of 1989
johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 01/29/14 11:02 AM (permalink)
I tried several times to visit Soup or Dogs and they were never there, even before they moved.  They should really develop their social networking skills; as an example, they haven't updated their Facebook page since August of 2011!  Just listing their daily hours and new location might bring them some business.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 01/30/14 9:27 AM (permalink)
    John, I have to agree with you. First of all she has no presence at all on the web, if it wasn't for John Fox I wouldn't have known where to find her.

I went there yesterday, and the truck was pretty much where John said it would be, at the far end of Inman Avenue by the Junkyards. Doing no business at all it seems. I was the only customer at about 12:15. There is virtually no traffic in that area except the occasional truck, nobody is just going to go to her truck unless you know it's there.

I asked her why she doesn't at least update facebook, and she told me she's waiting for her permanent permit from Rahway city.  Why she can't just do an interim update or a quick website so people know she's still in business is beyond me. She seems clueless as to the importance of Social Media today.

And yet, her dogs were fine as usual, and I brought two of her soups home for dinner (Creamed Chicken with Potato and Asian Noodle) and they were fabulous.
    <message edited by ken8038 on Thu, 01/30/14 9:28 AM>

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 02/2/14 6:23 PM (permalink)
      Coming soon: the Syd's dog at Father & Son in Linden! I was there yesterday for one of their fantastic chili dogs. They will be offering the famous dog that the iconic Syd's served for over 65 years. A long, thin natural casing beef dog that in my opinion is/was the finest beef dog. Surpassing Nathan's, Papaya King, Boston Speed, Hatfield; even Usinger's. Since Syd's closed, this dog has been offered infrequently by various establishments. Most haven't served it the same way as Syd's. Which is in water and finished off on a grill (not griddle). This dog has to be started in water and finished off on a real grill in order to taste like a Syd's dog. And be placed on a food service bun that has been baked individually so it is sturdy enough to handle a decent sized dog plus toppings. It's just not the same prepared any other way. Some just put it on a griddle. Others leave out the first step of heating the dog in water.

Two places I know of serve it like Syd's. Marci's, which is not yet open for the season and offers it as a specialty item, and The Garage in Millburn. Unfortunately The Garage uses a cheap bun that falls apart and doesn't do this dog justice. And charges too much because their rent is high.

Father & Son will offer the Syd's dog all the time as well as their current 8/1 Grote & Weigel beef dog that is well prepared on the griddle. Both dogs will have the choice of toppings which will include their spicy chili and their famous kapusta which is fried sauerkraut with bacon and onions. Two of the best and highest quality beef dogs along with world class toppings.

The new owners of Father & Son are true hot dog aficianados who care about quality, service, and their customers. They took a New Jersey hot dog legend and made it better. One of the best hot dog joints in the state may have just elevated itself into being arguably the best.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 02/3/14 9:25 AM (permalink)
        This is certainly the best frankfurter news to be announced in a dog's age.
        The Bear

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 02/10/14 2:34 PM (permalink)

Father and Son  is a must visit form anywhere in NJ

Benzee

johnlockedema

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 02/12/14 7:58 AM (permalink)
            Randy the Hot Dog Guy in Hillside, NJ, recently announced he'll be serving the simmered/grilled Syd's dogs upon request.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
              Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 02/12/14 8:31 AM (permalink)
              They're not the same just heated in water. He has served the Thumann's beef/pork frank boiled. Can't compare to grilled. Did he get a grill for the Syd's dog?

johnlockedema

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 02/12/14 11:13 AM (permalink)
                Apparently he has, and will cook them upon request.  Out of respect for Syd's he's calling it the Surf and Turf, since it starts in water and finishes on land. 

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 03/2/14 5:26 PM (permalink)
                  Last week I ate at  my favorite Newark hot dog truck, Donny's Dogs on Central Ave & 15th St, I had 3 of his Sabrett 10/1 hotdogs, the first was topped with his homemade hot onions and mustard,still great as I remembered,the next dog was potato's with mustard & hot onions, best potato's out of the trucks that carried them, and the last was a dog with mustard,raw onions & pickle, very good, all the dogs were hot & fresh and the service was fast & friendly. Pete Caggiano the owner also offers homemade hot soup during the winter months, I was offered a sample of his Chicken noodle soup and was impressed with the quality & flavor, and ordered some to go. He has at least 10 different types of Specialty toppings for his hotdogs as well as the standard kraut, very good Chili, cheese,raw onion, hot & sweet  onions and relish. He was voted Best hot dog truck in the state for the first Star Ledger Munchmobile tour and IMHO still is.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: << < ..61626364656667 | Showing page 67 of 67, messages 1981 to 1989 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com