Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Dickeys

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 50
signman

• Total Posts: 1743
Dickeys Tue, 10/21/08 4:44 PM (permalink)
This Dallas chain is franchising all over the country. As a lover of barbecue brisket I was thrilled to find a new location in Beltsville, Maryland today.

I am still steamed about what I was served. It was STEAMED brisket, just like a home cooked corned beef. I was so excited about finding Texas barbecue in Maryland too. Famous Daves beats this place, and that's no compliment.

Sundancer7

RE: Dickeys Tue, 10/21/08 4:49 PM (permalink)
    Sounds like you really like it Perhaps comparable to Kreuz?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
      RE: Dickeys Tue, 10/21/08 4:58 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by signman

This Dallas chain is franchising all over the country. As a lover of barbecue brisket I was thrilled to find a new location in Beltsville, Maryland today.

I am still steamed about what I was served. It was STEAMED brisket, just like a home cooked corned beef. I was so excited about finding Texas barbecue in Maryland too. Famous Daves beats this place, and that's no compliment.

Signman, Have you ever had brisket at Chubby's in Emmittsburg, MD. We thought it was outstanding.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
        RE: Dickeys Tue, 10/21/08 9:20 PM (permalink)
        Yes, I was there a couple of years ago. It was pretty good. Haven't been back to the area since, but would certainly stop again.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
          RE: Dickeys Tue, 10/21/08 9:38 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by signman

Howard, IMHO, Dickey's is terrible!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17807
            RE: Dickeys Tue, 10/21/08 9:46 PM (permalink)
            And I thought this was about those things women wear instead of whole shirts.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
              RE: Dickeys Wed, 10/22/08 2:48 PM (permalink)
              I remember driving up towards Gainesville, FL and seeing a sign for Dickey's. While I have a friend who lives in Dallas who thinks that this is good 'que, I wouldn't feed it to a starving dog. On the off chance that I am hungry when passing through DFW, I would surely eschew Dickey's in favor of something of much higher quality - say, a Big Mac.

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                RE: Dickeys Wed, 10/22/08 2:52 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

And I thought this was about those things women wear instead of whole shirts.

We can't wear those anymore and travel by plane. The request to remove the jacket by TSAs would be a tad embarrassing.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17807
                  RE: Dickeys Wed, 10/22/08 3:08 PM (permalink)
                  So drive.

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                    RE: Dickeys Wed, 10/22/08 3:35 PM (permalink)
                    They opened a store in Omaha in January and closed last month. I can't comment on the food as I had no desire to try it.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                      RE: Dickeys Wed, 10/22/08 3:43 PM (permalink)
                      I was stranded at DFW and very hungry so I tried Dickeys. It was like eating a steamed boondocker. The sausage tasted like straw and all in all it sucked, kinda like Rudy's and Duke's.

Sundancer7

RE: Dickeys Wed, 10/22/08 3:53 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by brisketboy

I was stranded at DFW and very hungry so I tried Dickeys. It was like eating a steamed boondocker. The sausage tasted like straw and all in all it sucked, kinda like Rudy's and Duke's.

Out of desparation, I have also had BBQ at DFW at Dickey's. I also was stranded because of a snow storm?? Go figure. I thought Rudy's was much better although they are not very great either.

The only place I have ever tried them was at the DFW airport. I cannot comment about their other locations. Airport food tends to be just that.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

Twinwillow

RE: Dickeys Wed, 10/22/08 4:19 PM (permalink)
                          As much as I feel that as a chain, their food is mediocre at best, the food at their original location, just 4 blocks from me in Dallas is, OK in a pinch. But just, OK. Nothing special by any means. And, I certainly would not recommend it to an out of towner looking for BBQ in Dallas.

southpaw

• Total Posts: 105
                            RE: Dickeys Wed, 10/22/08 4:48 PM (permalink)
                            There was one that opened down the road in Salem, VA a few months ago and has already closed.

I never did eat there... something about BBQ at a srtip mall, does nothing for me.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                              RE: Dickeys Sat, 10/25/08 10:44 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Twinwillow

As much as I feel that as a chain, their food is mediocre at best, the food at their original location, just 4 blocks from me in Dallas is, OK in a pinch. But just, OK. Nothing special by any means. And, I certainly would not recommend it to an out of towner looking for BBQ in Dallas.

From 25 miles northeast of Twinwillow and with 2 Dickey's within four miles I'll second his thought.

But, I'll bet that Dickey's will be a "big hit" in SoCal.

BQ Matt

• Total Posts: 31
                                RE: Dickeys Tue, 10/28/08 4:29 AM (permalink)
                                Not to pile on, but I've been to that Dickey's in DFW twice. I usually try a place twice if the first time wasn't up to snuff, just in case I caught them on an off day. Well, I think it's safe to say I won't be hitting Dickey's next time I'm stuck at DFW at meal time.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                  RE: Dickeys Sun, 11/9/08 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by MetroplexJim
                                  But, I'll bet that Dickey's will be a "big hit" in SoCal.

Nope, it was'nt a big hit there, either..
                                  a short-lived location was open in Torrance, CA years back...
                                  I gave it a try... was'nt that special..

utvols

• Total Posts: 45
                                    RE: Dickeys Thu, 11/27/08 1:52 AM (permalink)
                                    I actually have enjoyed the one in both Crossville and in Nashville. However, I ate at both locations because I have needed Q. If your a Tennessean and spent time in Knoxville you have probably found yourself at Buddy's by accident too.

That said I liked Dickey's better.

plb

RE: Dickeys Thu, 11/27/08 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                      I drove by one last week about dinner time when I was trying to think of what to eat. It said Catfish in the window which sounded good. Turns out they didn't have it that day. So I tried the sausage sandwich which was the only thing that looked decent. It was good, but nothing special.

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
                                        RE: Dickeys Tue, 03/17/09 6:17 PM (permalink)
                                        I happened to be in Bethlehem Pa at lunchtime today, near a Dickeys in a strip mall on Schoenersville Road, just north of Route 22. Having never heard of it I tried a pulled pork sandwich with a side of Barbequed beans. The pulled pork was both dry and bland. The barbecue sauce (out of three available, hot ,mild  and sweet, I chose the sweet) struck me as no better than the KC  Masterpiece I sometimes use at home. The beans were not bad.
                                         After checking the reviews, I can see that  others share my opinion.

According to there website Dickeys is expanding fast. The Bethlehem location opened last Summer and locations in King of Prussia Pa and several in New York state are listed as 'coming soon'.

The restaurant was 3/4 full at lunch (Its located on the edge of an office park)

By contrast, my favorie Lehigh Valley barbecue location, Fat Daddy's, on Sullivan trail north of Easton, is rarely even half full (they actually do their best business from a stand they run at Bethlehems Musikfest each August). Sad.

andyh40

• Total Posts: 39
                                          RE: Dickeys Thu, 03/19/09 1:53 PM (permalink)
                                          I just wanted to chime in here...

The Crossville TN Dickey's changed their franchise about three weeks ago. They are now called American Restaurant. I have no idea if this is a franchise, or just something new the owners themselves have come up with.

They still advertise the same BBQ, and it is. They still have the same basic items as Dickey's but they have expanded their menu to include hamburgers, steaks, and other type of grill items.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                            RE: Dickeys Fri, 03/20/09 4:05 PM (permalink)
                                            The first location in Dallas once had decent Q... but that was many years ago. :~(
                                            Joe

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                              RE: Dickeys Fri, 03/20/09 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                              I just looked at Dickey's website, including a lengthy video that addresses potential franchisees. I've never heard of this chain before; wonder how I managed to miss this outfit.  If I ran across one in my travels, I know I'd be tempted to try it, but based on the comments on this thread, I think I'd be better off to just keep on driving. I've already had one disappointing experience with chain barbeque this year ( Ohio's City BBQ chain ); I can do without another one. By the way, anyone wanna buy a Ridgewood franchise??  :~(                 

artvanhecke

• Total Posts: 2
                                                Re:Dickeys Mon, 09/13/10 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                                I love Joints and Dives, BBQ Joints probably the most, although I can be convinced to go for Chili anywhere, anytime.

I took the family to Dicky's Barbecue Pit in Gambrills Maryland on Labor Day Sunday.  It is in a small strip center on the North side of Route 3 right after Davidsonville Road.

The family is used to the BBQ drill for new places, we get a plate each of the basics, Ribs, Pulled Pork, Sausage, Brisket and everyone trys what they want, so I had some of each.

Dicky's is a franchise operation, I was shocked when I walked in and it was setup like a fast food operation.  It was clean, but there wasn't a trace of smoke smell at all, how they managed that was beyond me.

The staff didn't know much about BBQ.  I asked what kind of ribs they served and they said pork.  Someone said they were long bone ribs, so I ordered them; they were Memphis cut spares.  You got three ribs, 2 sides, and a biscuit for $11.  Biscuits were to die for.  The ribs were painted with sauce toward the end of cooking and had some flavor, tenderness was good.  Flavor was just that of the sauce.  NOTHING in the restaurant had any smoke flavor.

The pulled pork plate had about 1/4 lb or so of pulled pork, two sides and a biscuit.  There was NO seasoning, sauce, or anything that had ever touched that pork.  It was rather tasteless.  Cooked well though.

The sausage plate also has the standard 2 sides and a biscuit, but this sausage was GOOOOOD.  Not much smoke flavor (I think the packer put a little in) but it was good.  Of course Smithfield is great when cooked at home too.  This is the best thing we had.

Brisket plate the same, 2 sides and a Biscuit.  Brisket was sliced about 1/4" thick and was a little underdone by competition standards, it was tender but again had no taste, none, nada.

The only BBQ sauce (right from the pump) was wayyyy tooooo vinegary for a tomato bases sauce, it tasted like cider vinegar and just overpowered everything.  That was the only choice other than mustard, with was from a packet and way better.

The potato salad was OK, but it was a lot more like mashed potato salad.  I am used to big chunks (or at least SOME chunks) of potato with the coating on them.  There was the occasional little piece of potato, but mostly mush.  This might be some form of potato salad with the only chunks being pickles and celery.

Cole slaw was good, I like mine shredded, theirs was chopped, nonetheless, the pulled pork needed SOMETHING.

The onion ring kind of things were really good.  Anything out of a deep fryer is usually good.

The beans were also pretty good, nothing special but good.

The biscuits were excellent, the wife and son went back for more.  Great to make a brisket sandwich with.

Overall not high marks.  This is really not a BBQ joint as we know them in Maryland, really a franchise fast food establishment.  We were the only folks in there except occasionally folks would come in for take out (there were about three in the hour we were there).  I'm chalking this up to the labor day weekend, MAYBE.

I get the feeling the originators are trying NOT to offend anyone, but have given themselves a flat signature.  If you are only going to provide one sauce, make sure it is a good one.  If you stop here, bring a bottle of Cattleman's or other favorite and a shaker of rub to put some flavor into what you are served.

I guess "Where's the Pit" sums it up. One star rating, maybe.

Art

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                  Re:Dickeys Sat, 12/8/12 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                                  One of these just opened in a plaza in Cortland NY. Do they smoke on-site or is this stuff shipped from a mother plant somewhere and finished on-site?

There is good, genuine BBQ nearby; Dinosaur and Limp Lizard in Syracuse and Homer's own Bob's BBQ has been smoking some pretty good 'cue on top of his killer Cornell style chicken. Of course Bob is a summer only operation. I wish them luck as a local business but people have a pretty good idea of what to expect when they walk in the door. I hope they can deliver the goods.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                                    Re:Dickeys Sat, 12/8/12 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                                    signman

One opened up here in Que country, didn't last 3 months. 

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                                      • Location: Snellville, GA
                                                      Re:Dickeys Sat, 12/8/12 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                                      Cosmos

One of these just opened in a plaza in Cortland NY. Do they smoke on-site or is this stuff shipped from a mother plant somewhere and finished on-site?

There is good, genuine BBQ nearby; Dinosaur and Limp Lizard in Syracuse and Homer's own Bob's BBQ has been smoking some pretty good 'cue on top of his killer Cornell style chicken. Of course Bob is a summer only operation. I wish them luck as a local business but people have a pretty good idea of what to expect when they walk in the door. I hope they can deliver the goods.

The ONLY  thing I miss about western NY is the Cornell chicken! All of the volunteer fire depts. would grill some up every year! As far a Que, I'm in the south now, and love it!

Twinwillow

Re:Dickeys Sat, 12/8/12 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                                        Since this thread was originally posted four years ago, there's been a 
                                                        re-birth so to speak of BBQ in the Dallas area. We've gone from having some the worst BBQ in the state to now having about five really good BBQ joints. Some are even close (I'm happy to say) to the quality of Central Texas BBQ. But, Dickey's still sucks!

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 639
                                                          • Location: austin, TX
                                                          Re:Dickeys Sat, 12/8/12 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                                          Austin: A buddy of mine works across the street from the Dickey's on Burnet Road. When they opened they ran a .99 cent pork sandwich special. He said he felt like he got ripped off and wanted his buck back.

Central Texas is awash in bad barbecue right now. New places are opening up weekly. Thankfully we've still got a few old masters that are plying their trade the 1800s way. Post oak, salt, pepper. That's it. BTW John Mueller got back up and running down in Shiner. Birth notice: http://www.scrumptiousche...The-Pit?adminview=true

Twinwillow

Re:Dickeys Sat, 12/8/12 1:52 PM (permalink)
                                                            Yeah, I'm afraid since the passing of Bobby Mueller and the departure of Louis Mueller's pit boss Lance, things have changed and my old favorite, Louie Mueller BBQ isn't quite the same anymore.

Thank goodness for Aaron Franklin and others like him.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 50

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com