The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ)

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) Sat, 11/1/08 1:04 PM (permalink)
I just found out that one of New Jersey's most renowned Fish & Chips joints (and the Roadfood place closest to where I live, just about 1/2 mile away) closed for good last Sunday. Not sure of the reasons, I am asking around. They still seemed to be doing a thriving business. It was a mostly takeout operation, just a few tables in the cramped inside.

All it was was a shack by the side of the road in a residental neighborhood, it's been there since the mid 70's.

We will miss thier takeout "buckets" of fried cod, etc, always available when we would have a discussion of "Let's do takeout tonight". I don't know of any similar alternative for miles around. It will be missed.

The website has already been taken down, but here's what none other than the NY Times had to say about it just a couple of years ago.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F07E7DF1730F935A15750C0A9609C8B63

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
    RE: Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) Sat, 11/1/08 3:21 PM (permalink)
    Yeah, too bad.

Great place for a hot dog joint if the zoning allows it to continue as a restaurant.

The Bear

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
      RE: Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) Tue, 11/4/08 8:46 AM (permalink)
      Ken...that's very disappointing. I haven't eaten there in a long time, but I did like it. Hopefully something else opens up there

TheClairvoyant

• Total Posts: 12
        RE: Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) Mon, 12/1/08 2:22 AM (permalink)
        I was shocked to see it closed down when I went past a few weeks ago. There is a sign for a business broker in the front window. Hopefully, somebody will buy it and reopen it.

I loved The Chippery.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
          RE: Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) Mon, 12/1/08 6:22 AM (permalink)

==it's been there since the mid 70's.===

That may be your answer. Over thirty years of doing business, the owner may have been ready to retire. Just a guess.

mark

Dog Boss

• Total Posts: 206
            RE: Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) Thu, 08/13/09 6:59 PM (permalink)
            ScreenBear

Yeah, too bad.

Great place for a hot dog joint if the zoning allows it to continue as a restaurant.

The Bear

thats what,  i thought !!!!!  wife and i just looked at it a few weeks ago....................

TheClairvoyant

• Total Posts: 12
              RE: Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) RE-OPENING!! Thu, 02/10/11 11:46 AM (permalink)
              The Chippery is re-opening. I drove by yesterday and saw signs in the windows. Glad it's coming back. An article quotes the new owner saying the food will be the same and there will only be minor aesthetic changes to the building. 

ken8038

RE: Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) RE-OPENING!! Wed, 10/10/12 8:30 AM (permalink)
                I just happened to come across this thread again. It's 1 1/2 years later and the sign is still there. The promised re-opening of Sept 2011 is long passed, and the building is more run down than ever. I heard there were some envoirnmental problems that weren't on the books when the place was built in the 70's.  No word on what's up lately.

ken8038

RE: Farewell to the Chippery (Fanwood NJ) RE-OPENING!! Wed, 12/25/13 5:49 PM (permalink)
                  Well, it took 5 years, but the Chippery has finally reopened, this time as The Seafare Chippery. It's in the same location in an all-new building with the exact same footprint. I had heard there were all sorts of regulations implemented since the 1970's they had to comply with before rebuilding and reopening.

Right now they are in soft-opening mode, with a full grand opening set for January. I haven't been yet, but some friends of my wife
                   said it's just as good as they remembered.

In the past five years I've become a real fan of the Keyport Fishery in Keyport for takeout fried seafood, but that's 1/2 hour away. It'll be nice to have something almost as good 2 minutes away again.

http://scotchplains.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/fanwood-chippery-is-back-in-business
                  <message edited by ken8038 on Wed, 12/25/13 5:50 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com