Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Who Makes Your Favorite Slider?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 107
KingT

• Total Posts: 75
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Fri, 05/7/10 11:51 PM (permalink)
kaszeta

I saw the title and was going to answer "Bates, in Livonia", and then saw that the first post mentioned that.  I love that place.

I'm still planning on doing the "slider tour of metro Detroit" sometime when visiting the SO's family.

Aside from the above mentioned Bates, where would one go in the Detroit area for other great sliders? I might be out there and would hit as many of them as I know about since I've loved sliders since my youth and have always loved White Castle.

Eat Rite Diner in STL is also a great stop. I have most of the places mentioned on here in my mental notes should I ever be within an hour two drive from them. Its very saddening to me that here in Chicago, other than the 50+ White Castles we have no great slider joints, they all died off like so many other things when Chicago went from a Blue Collar town to a booming metropolis. Slider places seem to be found in blue collar towns and oldtime Midwest cities.

Its also amazing how many imitators popped up after White Castle came into the game. I have heard of what seems like 100s of old chains like Prince Castle and the above mentioned Little Tavern, and then theres the place in North Miami posted about above. I guess Krystal was basically the only one to survive but even they arent knocking the champ out. It would be cool if someone did a book about all these places of the past and the ones that survived to stand today. Maybe I'll do that one day.

Where in Detroit should I go? 

Sliders are actually best (like everything else) when prepared correctly using fresh ingredients (in their case, the beef) They are pretty easy to make at home as long as you can work fast and best made on a flattop. I have a recipe feature on sliders at home here

<message edited by KingT on Sat, 05/8/10 12:04 AM>

kaszeta

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Sat, 05/8/10 1:43 PM (permalink)
    KingT

Where in Detroit should I go? 

Off the top of my head..., some of the better Detroit Metro slider joints are:  Telway in Madison Heights, Grady's Lounge in Roseville, Comet in Royal Oak, Greens in Farmington Hills, Brayz in Hazel Park, and Hunter House in Birmingham.  I know Detroit proper still has a few, but none are coming to mind.

I hear a lot of talk of NJ sliders, and like White Mana, but I think this is one place where the Detroit area can hold it's own.

Marcus Hamburgers is also worth checking out if you haven't been there, although it's not a slider (they serve burgers on hot dog buns, and have been doing so for a long time)

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
      RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Fri, 07/15/11 9:09 PM (permalink)
      easydoesit

The Cozy reminds me of Nick's, a little shop in the college town of Brookings SD. Their only product is a hamburger or cheeseburger and pie. Chips but no fries, like the Billy Goat in Chicago. They cook the burger using what they call the "tank fry" method, which is similiar to Dyers in Memphis. I haven't been in Nick's for years, but was sitting at the counter one day watching the cook drop small, round balls of meat into a large pan with several inches of boiling liquid. He would let them cook for a bit, then use a spatula to smash them flat to the bottom of the pan. I asked him what the liquid was, and he said suet. Didn't sound too appetizing, but I got over that when he put my plateful in front of me. They were cheap, and according to their website, you can still get one for 1.18. Now I need a reason to go back to Brookings.
      I was at Nick's last summer on a motorcycle cross country trip. Stopped for one and ended up eating four doubles! Dick, the owner came over and commented that I must have been hungry. They were fantastic.
      http://www.nickshamburgers.com/

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
        RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Mon, 08/29/11 5:09 PM (permalink)
        on the road -  white castle

at home - home made on kings hawaiin mini rolls with carmelized onions and a drop of wheresyoursister sauce

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9566
          RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Mon, 08/29/11 5:33 PM (permalink)
          The Spotted Donkey Cantina in Scottsdale AZ makes great
          Green Chile Meatloaf Sliders
          Asadero cheese, caramelized onions, grilled tomato, chipotle ketchup and side of chorizo gravy with Donkey fries $10.00
          The Chorizo Gravy is as good as the slider!
          http://www.spotteddonkeycantina.com/index.html

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
            RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 9:18 AM (permalink)
            White Castle!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
              RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 9:28 AM (permalink)
              Fred's Parkview in Burlington, WI calls its 1/4-lb burgers "sliders" and while they're certainly very good IMO they're too large to be named as such.

Brad

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 3:24 PM (permalink)
                White Castle, the one and only "true" slider. Except in the Navy where bugers are called sliders. But when you are cooking on a rocking and rolling Destroyer in heavy seas, those things are gonna slide around on the grill!

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                  RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 3:35 PM (permalink)
                  Krystal, the one and only "true" slider!   However, a group of us had fresh White Castles and Krystals side-by-side in Nashville recently.  They were so close in flavor and appearance, we all were taken by surprise.  If I'd been blindfolded, I (Mr. Picky himself) would have been hard-pressed to tell which was which (other than Krystal automatically comes with yellow mustard, has a slightly thicker bun, and WC has holes in the patty).  While I believe Krystals tasted better before the Davenport family sold the chain in the late '90s, it was gratifying to observe there was no discernable difference in the quality or taste of the two burgers when both brands were fresh and on the table.  Our group of ten picky slider lovers walked away with everyone in agreement.  I was blown away and shook my head in disbelief, as did everyone else.   
                  <message edited by MellowRoast on Wed, 08/31/11 5:29 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 4:14 PM (permalink)
                    That must have been a fun comparison test!!!

MellowRoast

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 6:45 PM (permalink)

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 6:54 PM (permalink)
                        ann peeples

That must have been a fun comparison test!!!

I wouldn't have wanted to be around them an hour later when the real comparison test began (toot toot)

Foodbme

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 7:03 PM (permalink)
                          ScreamingChicken

Fred's Parkview in Burlington, WI calls its 1/4-lb burgers "sliders" and while they're certainly very good IMO they're too large to be named as such.
                          Brad

You are correct sir! a 1/4# Hamburger is not a slider.

MellowRoast

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 7:31 PM (permalink)
                            CajunKing:  Never have had that problem.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                              RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 08/31/11 10:53 PM (permalink)
                              I never understood why anyone would order sliders, seems to me instead of one big hamburger with one bun, it's 3 small ones with 3 buns.

Foodbme

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Thu, 09/1/11 1:17 AM (permalink)
                                ynotryme

I never understood why anyone would order sliders, seems to me instead of one big hamburger with one bun, it's 3 small ones with 3 buns.

It's like ordering a pizza and telling them to cut it in 6 slices 'cause you don't think you can eat 8!

Foodbme

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Thu, 09/1/11 2:53 AM (permalink)
                                  The Chicago Hamburger Company, Phoenix AZ.
                                  Home of the 97 cent "Windy City Slider"
                                  Their other stuff is pretty good too!
                                  http://www.chicagohamburger.com/

buffetbuster

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Thu, 09/1/11 6:39 AM (permalink)
                                    Foodbme-
                                    Thanks for bring that place up.  I just drove past last Friday night and was curious about it.  Next time, I'm stopping in!

fishtaco

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Fri, 09/2/11 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                      ynotryme

Guess ya never had a White Castle, have you?

kaszeta

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Fri, 09/2/11 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                        I was just at Telway in Madison Heights, MI last weekend.  Mmmm, I'm reminded of how good a slider can be.
                                        (Pics once I get around to uploading them....)

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                          RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Sun, 09/4/11 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                          I wonder how many people realize that "sliders" as a nickname was originally supposed to be a put-down, referring to the greasiness and laxative effects of the burgers?

Bart

MellowRoast

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Sun, 09/4/11 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                            Here's an interesting side-by-side taste test from a blogger. http://www.cheese-burger.net/stories/krystal-v-white-castle.html

kaszeta

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Thu, 09/8/11 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                              While I still didn't have time to do the "grand tour of Slider joints" that I hope to do at some point, at least I got to go back to Telway on last week's trip to Detroit:

Telway really does these the right way. Instead of making those little ridiculous "punched with five holes" pre-made meat discs like White Castle, a Telway slider starts with two things: a small lump of ground beef that gets pressed flat onto the grill (giving it a sear that many slider joints lack), and starting with fresh onions instead of dried. They cook them burger side down with the onions on top, and then flip the whole mess over afterward. When it's almost don, the put the bun over it, and cover the mess with a towel.

The result is the perfect slider: Greasy, moist, fresh bun; seared meat; crisp dill pickle; and sharp but sweet stringy onions.

buffetbuster

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Thu, 09/8/11 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                                kaszeta-
                                                Beautiful!  I now know where to go next time in Detroit.  And I would love to hear about some of the other slider joints you mentioned.

kaszeta

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Thu, 09/8/11 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                                  The places I've been for Sliders in Detroit (aside from White Castle) include, but aren't limited to (in approximate order of my preference)
                                                  1. Telway (Madison Heights and Detroit).  The Detroit location is not in the greatest area; go to the Madison Heights one.
                                                  2. Bates (Livonia and Farmington Hills).
                                                  3. Motz (Detroit).
                                                  4. Brayz (Hazel Park)
                                                  5. Greene's (Farmington)
                                                  6. Hunter House (Birmingham)
                                                  7. Bray's (Westland)
                                                  I've written up Bates on my blog (http://offbeateats.org/20...mburgers-livonia-mi/), and my Telway review should post tomorrow as well.  The others I've been to, but not with the camera, so they'll wait for another visit.

buffetbuster

RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Thu, 09/8/11 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                                    kaszeta-
                                                    I have only been to Motz and Hunter House and thought highly of both.  Looking at your list, those other places must really be good.  Thanks so much for the info!

ru gonna eat that

• Total Posts: 3
                                                      RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Thu, 04/12/12 4:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      White Castle was ok...but Krystal's w/ the onions and mustard always hit the spot.

chucktay1

• Total Posts: 9
                                                        RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 06/27/12 6:22 AM (permalink)
                                                        Uh, white castle!

fishtaco

• Location: Roachdale, IN
                                                          RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 06/27/12 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                                          bartl

I wonder how many people realize that "sliders" as a nickname was originally supposed to be a put-down, referring to the greasiness and laxative effects of the burgers?

Bart

-OR-

As in the Navy they are called that because the slide across the grill as a ship rolls.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? Wed, 06/27/12 2:43 PM (permalink)
                                                            bartl

Bart

Considering the fact that the term slider is a corruption of Slyder, which is a copyrighted term owned by White Castle, and White Castle Slyders are not in any way, shape or form greasy,then your claim is invalid. Actually, White Castle hamburgers were called Slyders because of the way people would slide bunches of them down.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 107

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com