The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 13 of 22, messages 361 to 390 of 657
susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/12/09 8:36 AM (permalink)
Drive safely everyone

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
    RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/12/09 9:31 AM (permalink)
    I just sent Sundancer a private message, but if anyone is going to be around Memphis on Friday night and not in Greenville (or Little Rock), I would be up for a dinner meet-up.  Unless delayed, my flight is supposed to get into MEM around 6 pm.  As long as you can wait until perhaps 7 pm or so for dinner, I am game.  PM me and I will send along my cell number - or you can get it from Al.

Safe travels, folks.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/12/09 12:51 PM (permalink)
      Thanks Susan, we also hope that everyone has a pleasant  trip.  We will be especially interested in hearing the report from Poverty Pete and Wandering Jew after they have been in the same car for a full days ride down the Natchez Trace ! Keep in mind what happened to Meriwther Lewis when he did the same journey almost 200 years ago!

Our route usually follows the Western KY Parkway down to US 51 on the TN-KY border, but this time we may run across So Indiana and Illinois to I-57 then down I-57 to I-55 with a stop at Lamberts in Skikeston, MO for a 'Throwed Roll at breakfast. 
      On the other hand I really like the Parkway, so we'll wait til the morning to decide. (The Boss has spoken...She will drive the first leg of the trip and prefers the Parkway!!)
      <message edited by mayor al on Thu, 02/12/09 5:03 PM>

buffetbuster

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/13/09 12:30 AM (permalink)
        I am back in my hotel from a successful first night in Memphis, with stops at Corky's and the Rendezvous.  Neither place is in the league with Cozy Corner, but a good start to the festivities anyway!

ChiTownDiner

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/13/09 10:03 AM (permalink)
          Wishing you all a good time and plenty of good eating!

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
            RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/13/09 10:39 AM (permalink)
            Have a fabulous time everyone !
            Don't forget to eat some tamales for me !
            Bless you all...

The Travelin Man

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/13/09 4:07 PM (permalink)
              I am sitting at the DisneyWorld International Airport (I can tell by the screeching three-year old that is less than five feet from me).  My flight departs in about forty minutes, and it doesn't look like my upgrade is going to clear - which means I will, no doubt, be seated next to said three-year old for the two-hour flight. 

I wonder how many curse words this young lass knows right now...and how many he will learn in the next two hours???

Ready for vacation?  Youbetcha!

It's a good thing that we phoned ahead.  Memphis is going to need a LOT of alcohol to get this fine group through the next few days!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/13/09 4:47 PM (permalink)
                rotflmao      I will just hope that you do not have to wait as long for your rental car in Memphis  as my son had to wait for his this morning when he landed in Orlando.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/13/09 4:59 PM (permalink)
                  Let the games begin!!! Cant wait for reports!

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                    RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/13/09 7:46 PM (permalink)
                    Hello all ,

Safe travels for all , good luck and enjoy the festivities . I too cannot wait for the reports

Benzee

susanll

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/13/09 10:30 PM (permalink)
                      Can't wait.  Cozy Corner tomorrow.  Don't tell the Glee Club, I have never been there.  

susanll

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sat, 02/14/09 4:34 PM (permalink)
                        Cozy Corner meet was a success!!  Lots of folks.  There was one strange incident, but I will let the trip reporters fill everyone in.  A very nice group of people and would love to meet again.

They were headed to Beale St when we left them this afternoon, with another barbecue dinner waiting at Leomards tonight.  Oh, and Janet makes the BEST pear butter.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sat, 02/14/09 5:08 PM (permalink)
                          Oh gawd did Wandering Jew get into another bar fight??

or did thetravelinman get arrested for oogling an underage server again.

I joke because I care, can't wait to hear "The rest of the story"
                          <message edited by CajunKing on Sat, 02/14/09 5:09 PM>

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sat, 02/14/09 5:12 PM (permalink)
                            I wish I was up there with yall

It has been raining here since 4am and we had thunder storms for the gumbo cookoff.  I didnt win, I did have fun.... as much fun as you can have in a driving rain and 57 degrees.

I just got home, changed out of my drenched clothes and prolly gonna take a nap  and get warm.

ChiTownDiner

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sat, 02/14/09 5:34 PM (permalink)
                              CajunKing -

We're missing ya!

susanll

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sat, 02/14/09 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                CajunKing

Oh gawd did Wandering Jew get into another bar fight??

or did thetravelinman get arrested for oogling an underage server again.

I joke because I care, can't wait to hear "The rest of the story"

WJ was on good behavior, didn't ask me if had lutefisk in my purse.  And the only underage server I saw was a boy about 9 years old.  So, TTM was safe.  Great folks.  Would have loved to have met you, too. 

susanll

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sat, 02/14/09 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                  A barbecue sauce MOP.  I was trying to explain this to Cliff today

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sat, 02/14/09 11:34 PM (permalink)
                                    CTD

I was there in spirit, but in reality I was eating at Killer Seafood while you all were @ Leonards.

The shrimp & scallop Killer Bowl was REAL good after being cold and wet all day.

WJ

Michael and the crew thanked you for giving the Killer Key Lime Pie such Kudos

Have a safe trip home yall and post a report soon.

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
                                      RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                      I hope everyone had a grand time in Memphis. Sorry I missed it. BUt I had a goo food day without leaving Nashville. I had a great V-day dinner at Chappy's, though! I also had the best hot dog and fries since I ate at Super Dawg. I'll post about it in the hot dog forum. 

buffetbuster

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                        Well, I am sitting at the airport at the end of a truly wonderful extended weekend.  Lots of great food was devoured, but it was the people I spent time with here that I will remember most.  I can't tell you just how much fun I had!

Lots of photos and stories coming soon.....

susanll

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 5:36 PM (permalink)
                                          buffetbuster

Well, I am sitting at the airport at the end of a truly wonderful extended weekend.  Lots of great food was devoured, but it was the people I spent time with here that I will remember most.  I can't tell you just how much fun I had!

Lots of photos and stories coming soon.....

So, did you have more que at the airport?  If you did, I will bow down.  

buffetbuster

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                            Sorry to disappoint you Susan, but no 'que at the airport.  Since ChiTownDiner and myself drove straight to the airport from Interstate BBQ, I hope we can be forgiven.

It was great meeting you and your lovely family. 

Thanks for the sweet potato pie and the bottle of sauce.  I hope we can meet up again the next time I am through Memphis!
                                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Sun, 02/15/09 5:50 PM>

susanll

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                              You are welcome.  Give me a shout the next time. 

bobs 2

• Total Posts: 2
                                                RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                                Enjoyed visiting and eating with everyone at Cozy Corner yesterday!
                                                Hope everyone enjoyed Memphis and thanks for coming to town.

Bobs

• Total Posts: 244
                                                  RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                                  We really enjoyed visiting with everyone. There was a great turnout and and a wonderfull group of people!

The Travelin Man

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 10:39 PM (permalink)
                                                    The Mayor and I are sitting here in front of the computer scouring over hundreds of photos from a weekend filled with activity.  We departed Memphis at a little after 9:30 (due to one moron running late and gumming up the works....we'll let you figure out who is the moron - but, as a clue, we can safely say that he is single and does not own any Scotties) and made way through snow-driven Missouri up through Paducah, Kentucky - with a quick stop for a light lunch (details to follow).  The last leg was across the Western Kentucky Parkway up to Louisville. 

Photo editing may take the rest of my trip (and I fly out on Wednesday), but there are still other activities planned - but, an aggressive effort will be made to get photos up tomorrow!

As the others who have reported, the whole weekend was a smashing success.  The food was excellent and the company twice as good.

Hope all of your travels went as smoothly as ours.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                                                      • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 10:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      I'm back home and I'm tired. My flight actually landed 10 minutes early at TF Green...

The food was great, the company was even better..

I'm going to sleep
                                                      Good night!

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 11:04 PM (permalink)
                                                        We enjoyed the ride home, swapping stories with the TTM all the way.
                                                           This was an outstanding Group Session. Both food and social life were outstanding.

Photos and journal to follow as soon as we can get the editing done. I will say that TTM did manage another fine "encounter" with our young, blonde server at the Doe's In Paducah, Kentucky this afternoon.

ChiTownDiner

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Sun, 02/15/09 11:50 PM (permalink)
                                                          What a fun weekend...as you can tell...people make the trip...food follows!  Great to meet the Susan clan and both Bob's and Amy and Chris and Bob and then to see all the other folks who have become Roadfood buddies...just a great weekend!  Glad we could all spend it together...sure glad I wasn't waiting for that moron!
                                                          <message edited by ChiTownDiner on Mon, 02/16/09 12:35 AM>

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Mon, 02/16/09 9:45 AM (permalink)
                                                            Ok I will start things off for the coverage of the events of the weekend with a very simple summary...We had a great time. Some of the group did a whole lot more in the way of food-stops, others did Graceland and other Memphis Highlights and some stuck to the basics for this trip. I have heard from most of the group and everyone seems to have had a real fine trip!!
                                                              Here are two photos... One of the Group at Leonards BBQ Saturday night, and the second of TTM using his usual charms to discuss Porterhouse steaks with our Server at the DOES EAT PLACE in PADUCAH, KY. We stopped at Does on the way home Sunday and we are very glad we did. 

I invite all the photo-bugs to do a post and put all of your entries in that post (use the edit button a lot if you have too! )Doing the "Trip Report" that way will put all of one persons contributions in one entry, and should avoid any confusion about who's photos are we looking at !!
                                                            OK  Here is the Group-

Names- left to right
                                                            Front row- Mayor Al, Iwanago, Mrs Mayor, Amy, Mrs Rick F
                                                            Row 2- Kerry,WanderingJew, Ayersian, ChiTwnDnr, TTM, Johnny, Sundancer, NorthCarolina, BB, Pov.Pete, RickF

Second photo- TTM and Paducah Doe's Food Server (and new "Good Friend", Cassie !

TRIP REPORT for the Mayor and Janet (and TTM on the Return to Louisville!)

We departed about 4 AM Friday morning using I-65 to E-Town, KY and then the Western KY Parkway SW thru the Commonwealth. Easy if somewhat lonely roads til we got into Tennessee where we ran into some commuter traffic and a lot of red traffic signals as we approached Memphis. We zipped thru Memphis without stopping to get to an early lunch in Mississippi. Our first meal stop was in Clarksdale, Mississippi where we planned to spend the night after our meet-up with the group at Doe's in Greenville. We took a look at the Delta Blues Museum and then had a nice lunch at the "Ground Zero" Blues Club right across the street from the Museum. That part of Clarksville seems to have a dozen or more "dumpy-looking" Blues or night clubs. Some are downright shabby in appearance and are in neighborhoods that I don't think I would care to be in late at night...but for lunch, the Ground Zero, partially owned by actor Morgan Freeman, seems safe enough.

Here is our "Lunch Sampler" Catfish for Janet and a few Ribs for me. The ambience is sort of 'Old Warehouse turned restarant" and it did quite well at filling us up.

We did stop at Hicks Tamales for a bunch of Tamales from their drive-up window. Hicks is located in the south end of the town, across the street from the motel we stayed at, so we took out paper bag full of Tamales over to the room to check them out. Small in size, but with a good ground beef filling wrapped in cornmeal and then a corn husk (not paper), they were much smaller than the ones I used to get in SoCal, but tasty and hot!

We looked around town a bit ( not much to see!!) and then headed down to Greenville to meet the group at Does Eat Place  In a run-down part of town, Does does a good job of maintaining the community image!

As the group settled down and ordered a bunch of fine Beef, We received several plates of Mississippi-Style Tamales. The only difference between these little fellows and the ones we got at Hicks Tamales earlier in the day was that the cornmeal on the Doe's Tamales is either invisible or very-very thin.  The tamale filling was quite good. They wrap their Tamales in a paper shell, rather than the corn husk that we see elsewhere.  Here ChiTwn Diner and his Brother Kerry enjoy the special little appetizers.

We enjoyed some very good Gumbo...Lots of Shrimp and Crab and very little Rice. It was spiced just right! The only down-side was that it was served in a low-sided cassarole dish that allowed it to cool rather quickly.  The meals are strictly Ala-Carte, so the Garlic Bread, FF's and Gumbo or Salad are "extra". Some of the folks ordered the Fried and/or the Grilled (Creole-style) Shrimp. I tried one of each and really liked the grilled one best of all.

Then our Steaks arrived. Janet and I decided to order the 3 Pound Porterhouse and share it. They broiled the filet side to a perfect "Medium" for her and my Strip-Side was Medium-Rare and done just right as well. I would say the Broiler man knows how to use his tools !

First- My strip, still attached to the bone.

Then, Janet's Filet side of the same steak. This is/was Outstanding Quality Beef. It had a real rich, beefy flavor! The juices were great for soaking into the french-Fried Potatoes !

Last Steak Photo for tonight shows one of the guys "Whole Porterhouse before he cut into it !

We had planned to go back to Clarksdale to one of the Blues Clubs before ending this busy day, but It was a rainy foggy ride back to the Motel, and we decided to call it quits for the day. Bob (North Carolina) tried the Ground Zero for awhile and reported to us that it was pretty loud and crowded later that evening. I guess I am just not much for 'Clubbing' these days! Especially after a 650 mile drive and some Great food !
                                                              OK That was our Friday experience. I hope some of the other guys will add their perspective to this thread...The camera were going like a lightening storm in that room at Doe's !! Several people at surrounding tables got into some good discussions of both the Doe's Experience and the Roadfood Social Activities as well !

We will pick-up next with our Saturday morning ride to Memphis, a Breakfast break at the Blue and White Cafe in Tunica and then the COZY CORNER in Memphis!  One of you guys with photos of the Blue and White Stop, please add them as I diod not take photos there!

After the stop at the Blue and White, we headed into Memphis using our GPS Navigator to find the Cozy Corner...Site of the first meeting of the whole group for Lunch.
                                                            TTM was pleased to see that his usual "jinx" was not upheld that morning. Here he is letting us know that all is "Open for Business" at Cozy Corner!!

The staff at Cozy Corner greeted us like returning family ! They really went out of their way to make us feel welcome. A bunch of Roadfooders who didn't make the run to Mississippi the night before were at the Cozy Corner fresh and ready to enjoy the lunch. We even had a couple of Surprises !! Bob and John from Jackson TN, whom we hadn't seen for a couple of years due to some medical problems that are now "in the past", were able to come. It was great to see them again. Susanll and her husband Louis, and Daughter who are also from the Memphis Metro area not only joined in the fun, but contributed several bottles of the Mopping Sauce that the BBQ Team she used to be part of had used in some of the competition BBQ contest over the years.

Here are some of the participants. If I missed anyone, I hope the other reporters will post photos that make sure everyone's mugshot gets on the report !!

Here is Sundancer, WJ and BB in a weighty discussion-

Chris and Amy share thoughts with Louis-

BB shoots the foodie shots with Janet and Poverty Pete being the subjects

The food target of that photo were these Ribs, Rib Tips, and one hunk of BBQ Sausage !

BuffetBuster enjoying the reunion with old friends...Here he is with the Sundancer!

Susanll and her family show us how to get our lunches ordered!

Bob and TTM survey the group !

Janet and her friend Roz love to chat about all the stuff that's happened since our last get-together.

Saturday evening we met at Leonard's BBQ. Once again the staff made us very welcome. The group had plenty of table room and all the time we wanted for conversation and the exchanging of Door-Prizes...one of the fun things we do each year.

We already posted the 'Group Photo, but here we are at the table!

We had a table load of door-prizes waiting to go home with folks. Some neat things changed hands at this meeting !

While some felt that the BBQ could have been improved on, most of us were happy enough.  Here is a typical Buffet sample of Wet and Dry Ribs and some BBQ Spaghetti! 

Now it is time for the final section of our report...The trip home! Normally we don't have much to report on this ride...we tend to head straight home as quickly as we can , but this ride was an exception. First of all we enjoyed the company of Steve- The Travelin' Man. He is meeting up with some of his friends in the Louisville area for a couple of days, so we were graced with his company and conversation for the trip home. We decided that since TTM missed out on the Does Greenville, MS experience that we would make a stop at the Doe's in Paducah KY  on the way home. Boy, was that a Great decision! We loved the Paducah Stop!  This Doe's is also "Family Operated" by the son of the Original store's owner. It is in downtown Paducah, in the historic preservation district, and is really a neat place. The location reminded me of 'Wintzell's in Mobile,AL, but a bit neater and cleaner. TTM has some photos of the surrounding area that he will post shortly.  Here is Janet at the entrance of the Place.

Ambience aside, the food was every bit as good, and in some ways surpassed the Greenville, MS Doe's in both quality and presentation. While the Greenville store does everything "Ala Carte" , the dinners in Paducah include the side dishes and garlic bread . The Paducah store also has a full bar service and wine available, while Greenville offers beer only and allows you to bring in your own wine or spirits.

Here is the Paducah Store's version of the Gumbo. Served in a bowl it was 'Piping Hot', delicious and looked great with the rice in the center.

Janet and I shared some of the Garlic/Grilled Shrimp and a Ribeye Steak. They tasted as good as they looked! Served with some veggies, French Fried Potatoes and Garlic Bread, this was a full meal, that's for sure.

TTM got busy with his camera as soon as his Porterhouse was delivered!

However, He was interrupted a couple of times when our server, the sweet young 'CASSIE' stopped by to be sure everything was "going well" !! She really was a nice young lady who was quite interested in how 'Her' store compared with the Mississippi Original! We think they are both great, but would give the edge to the Paducah store due to its closer location to us, and the restoration projects going on in the heart of that Rivertown, that makes it a "nicer" area to visit.

Dispite the obvious distractions, TTM finally got to devour his Porterhouse-

My final shot for this trip report...leaving the scenery to the other folks to post...is of TTM's Porterhouse as he made his way thru it. What a great piece of Beef !!  

OK Folks, That's my version of what we did on this trip. I hope our friends will add to this report! I am moving this whole thread to the Trip Report Forum and will await your additions.  It was Indeed a fine meet-and-eat event. Thanks to all who made it possible !

AND  A special thanks to the folks at Doe's (Both Greenville and Paducah, and the Cozy Corner and Leonard's BBQ for allowing us the Space and Time to really enjoy this meeting! 

<message edited by mayor al on Tue, 02/17/09 9:22 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 13 of 22, messages 361 to 390 of 657

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com