The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 15 of 22, messages 421 to 450 of 657
susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Tue, 02/17/09 8:57 PM (permalink)
We brought home leftover ribs, beans and 'sgetti from Sat.  The house smells likes Cozy Corner.

Louis and Jocelyn need 'lite' bread to quell the sauce.  But, the opinion is it is better today than Sat.

Works for me.  I didn't have to cook.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
    RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Tue, 02/17/09 9:54 PM (permalink)
    susanll

mayor al

BB,
      Good Photo's ! You have supplied Proof that TTM isn't the only "Chick Magnet" in the Group ! It looks like Wandering Jew was doing that also ! Maybe I-95 will repost the comment he made further up this page??

Thanks for filling in some of the missing locations.

I think she goosed him

And then she discovered his butt was made of nonsense and warned the others.

Kurt, I think you win the RF Fark contest for the picture though.  I laughed and laughed. 

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
      RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Tue, 02/17/09 10:38 PM (permalink)
      This Glee Club gathering was my first major Roadfood event, and I can't begin to tell you all how much I enjoyed this past weekend. All of the veteran attendees really went out of their way to make me feel like one of "the gang". Many thanks to Mayor Al, Buffetbuster, ChiTownDiner and all the others for welcoming a "nervous newbie" into the ranks. Some great food too; I  had only two truly disappointing meals out of all the Roadfood places that I ate at this past weekend. As soon as I've recuperated enough from this lil' odyssey to compose a coherent sentence ( my brain's still numb ), I'll post a trip report on my journey.      

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 8:57 AM (permalink)
        Bob,
          I am glad you enjoyed the gathering! We had a real good time too. I also understand the need to catch up on the 'routine' when you get home. Yesterday my schedule allowed me to return to normal activity, so I cat-napped a good part of the day !
          Today TTM and I will get together, do some horse-farm touring, then probably stop at Claudia Sanders Dinner House this afternoon for a lunch before putting him on the plane for Florida.

BTW, I have seen his photos. He will eventually  post some dandies of places Jan and I did not visit!
        <message edited by mayor al on Wed, 02/18/09 9:09 AM>

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3668
          RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 10:16 AM (permalink)
          susanll

mayor al

BB,
            Good Photo's ! You have supplied Proof that TTM isn't the only "Chick Magnet" in the Group ! It looks like Wandering Jew was doing that also ! Maybe I-95 will repost the comment he made further up this page??

Thanks for filling in some of the missing locations.

I think she goosed him

No,  I think that he goosed her and is making sure that no one saw him do it.   The stunned expression on her face is because this old guy actually did that to her!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 10:38 AM (permalink)
            Greymo

No,  I think that he goosed her and is making sure that no one saw him do it.   The stunned expression on her face is because this old guy actually did that to her!

Old guy???

I'm a baby faced 43 year old!!!

oh, wait, you were talking about Poverty Pete!

buffetbuster

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 10:50 AM (permalink)
              nocarolina-
              Glad you joined us for the fun and congrats for surviving meeting all of us.  Great to hear you arrived home safely.  I received a note from Louis saying what a good time you two had together and I look forward to that trip report.

buffetbuster

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 11:09 AM (permalink)
                susanll-
                Your husband is a real character!  And I mean that in the best possible way, since I have been called that before, too.  Glad to see we have a new Roadfood convert!

Sundancer7

RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 12:25 PM (permalink)
                  It  was good seeing all our friends in Memphis.  I wish I had spent more time with the others.  I did not get around to visiting with Susan, Chris and Amy and others.  I wish I had.

I was the recipient of some great beer brought by ChiTown Diner.  It was great.  I had a great time with the TM at the hotel and visited with Poverty Pete, Al and Janet and of course BB.  WJ was his usual jovial self and many others that were so delightful to be with.

I am looking forwar d to next year at Charleston where Stephen Rushmore from Roadfood might join us.  That will be agreat city to explore.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 12:43 PM (permalink)
                    I went straight back to work on Monday morning and was greeted with a brand new claim as soon as I walked in. It was great seeing everyone again and I enjoyed meeting the new folks (No Carolina, The Bobs and Susanll and her hubby Louis)

I haven't even uploaded my photos yet, but plan to do so and hopefully will be able to add my trip to Nashville and adventures with Poverty Pete sometime over the weekend.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 12:45 PM (permalink)
                      Ok

Now that the cat is out of the bag.

HEY EVERYBODY - CTD IS COMING TO MEMPHIS!!!!

I couldnt hold it in much longer.

Looks like yall had a good time, can't wait to see the othe pictures for this trip.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 4:50 PM (permalink)
                        TTM is sitting at the Louisville Airport waiting for his flight. I doubt that he will get hungry for awhile , as we had a late lunch of the Colonel's finest and the 8 special Veggies (and a few liver's too), then finished it off with a piece of hot Apple Pie covered in a Homemade Butter Rum Sauce !  TTM did the photo shoot of all of this plus him with the Colonel and some fine looking horses out at Keenland.  It was a good day for playing Tourist. Claudia Sanders Dinner House was toastie-warm with a roaring fire in the huge fireplace and fresh hot food at our beck and call.   We had a good day.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 5:01 PM (permalink)
                          mayor al

TTM is sitting at the Louisville Airport waiting for his flight. I doubt that he will get hungry for awhile , as we had a late lunch of the Colonel's finest and the 8 special Veggies (and a few liver's too), then finished it off with a piece of hot Apple Pie covered in a Homemade Butter Rum Sauce !  TTM did the photo shoot of all of this plus him with the Colonel and some fine looking horses out at Keenland.  It was a good day for playing Tourist. Claudia Sanders Dinner House was toastie-warm with a roaring fire in the huge fireplace and fresh hot food at our beck and call.   We had a good day.

Looks like TTM is "officially" the last person to end his journey for the 2009 Glee Club Meet UP (I was the first since my journey began a week ago this evening)

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 8:39 PM (permalink)
                            mayor al

That part of Clarksville seems to have a dozen or more "dumpy-looking" Blues or night clubs. Some are downright shabby in appearance and are in neighborhoods that I don't think I would care to be in late at night...

I've done it- I've went to one of those Juke Joints in the shabby part of Clarksdale- it was ten years ago- I can't remember if I went to Reds or Margaret's Blue Diamond Lounge- and yes I was the only white guy there but it didn't bother me at all- everyone was there just to listen to the blues- ....it was an experience I will always remember and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 02/18/09 8:40 PM>

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                              RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 9:36 PM (permalink)
                              Hello all,

Fantastic photos and trip reports , glad everyone had a great time , food looked great !!

Benzee

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
                                Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                i95

The blonde-haired Lauren exclaimed, "he's so cute.
                                He reminds me of my father. But older."

TTM,

I thought I told you NOT to wear Old Spice around the ladies!  They hang on to you like a father figure. 

Nice T though!  Steak looks good too! 

crew.

HDtravlr1

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Wed, 02/18/09 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks so much for all of the great photos and food reports!

Wishing i could have been there.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/19/09 7:58 AM (permalink)
                                    HDtravlr

Check this thread again in a day or two. We have yet to see the photos of the ALL the food from ChiTwnDnr, WJ,TTM,Ayersian, and others !!! This will be an epic trip report when we get all the contributors posted !

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                      Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/19/09 8:59 PM (permalink)
                                      Unfortunately, I don't have time for a full travel recap right now, but I will offer one tease shot. 

I had a miserable travel day trying to get home, but that is over.  Now there is a stack of work in my office, so it will, no doubt, take me a little while to get all the photos edited and uploaded, but there is good stuff coming.

Anyone care to guess (besides the two people who have seen this picture) where this fine looking burger might have come from?  Stops for me, post-Memphis, included Paducah, KY; metro Louisville, KY area; Evansville, IN; Shelbyville, KY and a few surrounding points in between those cities.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                        Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/19/09 10:06 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm guessing Louisville

carolina bob

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/19/09 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                          Travelin man, I haven't a clue where that atomic mutation of a burger came from, but I have to know: did you eat that all by yourself, or did you have to call on Buffetbuster to help you?   lol

ChiTownDiner

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/19/09 10:35 PM (permalink)
                                            Thursday, February 12th

It was our first Glee Club experience, and the week couldn't move along fast enough.  My brother was the first to arrive in Memphis earlier that afternoon and after touring Christian Brothers University and doing a little recon on our hotel, he made his way to our first Roadfood stop.  I had landed around 5:30pm, grabbed our rental car and headed over to Elvis Presley Blvd.

Our first stop was the Roadfood reviewed A&R Bar-B-Que.  The front lot was full so we pulled around to the back.  The first thing that grabbed our attention...

...was the smoke shack in back which had shaded the brightly lit parking lot in a smokey blanket while simultaneously providing a mouth watering smell.

We reversed this sign and headed for the front door.  Inside we were greeted by silence.  While the place was filled - at least the front room - everyone had a serious "I'm waiting for my order" look on their face.  There were at least 15 folks waiting for to go orders.  As we moved up to the counter to order, we started with...

...a jumbo pork sandwich.  This sandwich was served Memphis style with a great cole slaw right on the sandwich.  It was juicy, fresh, piled high and perfectly sauced.  Even the bun complimented the mix perfectly and was very fresh.  This was our Best BBQ Pork Sandwich of the trip.

Here's the cross-section, and you can really see the layers of flavor. 

Next up, the BBQ Grilled Bologna.  Served on plain white and Memphis style....

...this was one pretty thick slab/slice of bologna.  It was nothing fancy, but rated a close 2nd place in our overall bologna category.

A little BBQ spaghetti rounded out our hot portion.  This one also was a 2nd place finisher as it sauced just right - not to runny and lots of little pieces of pork thrown in for flavor and texture.

Dessert meant choices and we opted for the Red Velvet Cake.  It was perfect.  Most, very moist, and with perfectly sweet topping in just the right quantity.  We picked up a Lemon Cake and a German Chocolate Cake for soon to be arriving passengers and got ready to head back to the airport.

A&R...our number one stop for BBQ on the this trip...and right out of the box!

A&R Bar-B-Que
                                            1802 Elvis Presley Blvd.
                                            Memphis, TN 38106
                                            Tel: 901-774-7444

We're just getting started...
                                            <message edited by ChiTownDiner on Thu, 02/19/09 10:37 PM>

carolina bob

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Thu, 02/19/09 11:37 PM (permalink)
                                              Gregg, I'm sure learning things the hard way! If I had known about the A & R stop ( and the quality of the food ) in advance, I would've left Chicagoland a day or two earlier so that I could partake of those goodies. Man, that Q sandwich looks good. And red velvet cake - I love that stuff. I have a storebought r-v cake in the fridge, and as soon as I hit the "send" button, I'm heading straight for the kitchen. Are you going to be joining us in Milwaukee this Sunday?          

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/20/09 7:26 AM (permalink)
                                                CSD, I stopped at the A &R a couple years back and fell in love with the place. The fried pies(especially the peach) were a food highlight of my last visit to Memphis.

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                                                  Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/20/09 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                                  ChiTown -
                                                  'Next up, the BBQ Grilled Bologna.  Served on plain white and Memphis style.... '

That type of bread is called 'light' bread in these parts.

buffetbuster

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/20/09 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                                    Since I don't think CTD took pictures of the previously mentioned German Chocolate Cake and Lemon Cake, I will go ahead and jump on in.  Obviously, the passengers he was picking up at the airport were me and my cousin Johnny. 

You want to know the best possible way to start a Roadfood weekend?  That would be to have CTD greet you with a big smile, tales of great 'que and then hand you this.

With him being a coconut lover, I gave Johnny the German Chocolate, while I set my sights on the Lemon.  I did not taste his (he loved it, though), but mine was soft, moist, fresh tasting, with super sweet icing.  The A & R should get equally high marks for their desserts as they do for their 'que.  Just an excellent way to start the trip! 
                                                    <message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 02/20/09 10:13 AM>

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                                      Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/20/09 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                                      Poverty Pete

I'm guessing Louisville

Would you care to elaborate on your guess, sir?

nocarolina

Travelin man, I haven't a clue where that atomic mutation of a burger came from, but I have to know: did you eat that all by yourself, or did you have to call on Buffetbuster to help you?   lol

I was not with Buffetbuster.  I was with another Roadfood semi-lurker, who consumed his own burger.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/20/09 11:38 AM (permalink)
                                                        Teacher, Teacher, I Know, I Know...Pick Me, Please oh Please !
                                                          (no I was not present!)

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/20/09 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                                          Seeing that photo of I-95 looking like a Medicine Man Hawking his Snake Oil (door-prize) really came back to me when I saw this one of TTM's photos showing Ayersian doing pretty much the same thing with the Maple-Medicine last weekend !!

Anyone else notice the resemblance??

<message edited by mayor al on Fri, 02/20/09 12:18 PM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion Fri, 02/20/09 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                            This one?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 15 of 22, messages 421 to 450 of 657

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com