The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108 > | Showing page 101 of 108, messages 3001 to 3030 of 3220
donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 06/6/13 12:43 PM (permalink)
Restaurant Impossible is coming to Mason to re-do Aponte's:

http://masonbuzz.com/2013...sible-coming-to-mason/

I don't get it. The place is full every time we've tried to go there.

dlawson

• Total Posts: 237
    Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 06/6/13 9:06 PM (permalink)
    I agree. I would never have guessed that they are "troubled" based on the few times we've been (although we don't have cause to be up that way much anymore). The place could definitely use some updating and rearranging inside (the side entrance/lobby thing is especially awkward), but I agree with most of the comments that the pizza is fine as is. We have never had a bad pie there.

donw9876

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 06/6/13 10:40 PM (permalink)
      Usually "Chef" Irvine corrects both front of house and back of house problems. I got a vibe from the couple of times we poked our heads in the place that getting service there would be a pain in the butt, and you see some negative comments on social media about the service.

Anyway, they're going to get $20K+ worth of remodeling out of the deal ($10K material budget plus a conscripted army of construction people so I figure the usual RI remodeling job is worth $20K+ in market value) - plus craploads of publicity - so it's a win-win for Aponte's. I'm guessing they told the RI staff a sob story and it's really not that bad. Usually the typical RI target restaurant is a ghost town and has horrible, sometimes unsanitary food before any makeover. Aponte's really doesn't fit the usual profile.

But who knows until we see the episode.
      <message edited by donw9876 on Thu, 06/6/13 10:44 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
        Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/7/13 11:37 AM (permalink)
        I have tried their pizza - I thought highly of their cheese and sauce but the crust did not rate near as highly as Dewey's IMHO.

donw9876

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/7/13 4:33 PM (permalink)
          At least RI isn't going to Troni's.

Bonk

• Total Posts: 505
            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 06/12/13 3:49 AM (permalink)
            We did 50 West in Mariemont on Sunday. Our experience after a slow start was definitely positive.

We walked in and it looked like there was a hostess area set up, but no hostess nor nearby waiters/waitresses. After about two minutes we seated ourselves. After about five more minutes someone came over to take our order, and after explaining what happened, we weren't offered any kind of apology.

We knew the menu was tapas style, so we ordered the turkey wings, the stuffed poblano and the C.A.B. (White cheddar, bacon and cole slaw sliders).

The food was all excellent and surprisingly filling. They were $8 each, and we shared all three. The stuffed poblano had a chicken-chorizo filling that was delightful. The turkey wings were huge, well cooked and served in sort of a buffalo sauce and the CABs were really good as well, although I normally don't like cole slaw. You get three for $8.

I thoroughly enjoyed the beer, as I knew I would. I certainly wasn't turned off by it, but tapas-style food normally is for an upscale crowd. Beer drinkers -- even high-end beer drinkers -- are typically more into bar food. Wings, fried stuff, etc.

Sorry I hit the wrong button...no issue with this post.  AL

<message edited by mayor al on Sat, 06/15/13 2:49 PM>

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
              Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 06/15/13 11:05 PM (permalink)
              Very bad news tonight. The owner of Cosmic Pizza in Hartwell was shot to death while opening his pizza parlor during a robbery attempt. I did not get to try his pizza, although I intended to get there. Very sad.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/cincinnati/man-fatally-shot-at-pizza-parlor-in-hartwell/-/13549970/20586212/-/10qdykiz/-/index.html
              <message edited by soozycue520 on Sat, 06/15/13 11:09 PM>

dlawson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 06/16/13 12:50 PM (permalink)
                Horrible news. Thanks to TJ's recommendation/insistence, I picked up pizza from his place several times, and he was always a pleasure to talk to. He obviously took a lot of pride in his product, always explaining how to properly reheat it so that it would taste its best once I got it home.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                  Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 06/16/13 6:13 PM (permalink)
                  He was very very dedicated to his craft and produced a wonderful pizza.  He has just finally gotten the upstairs room ready so more folks could eat in, and he always felt his pizza was bet if eaten right out of the oven.  I would usually get it to go to save on tax and dine ala trunk in the drug store parking lot across the street

Before Cosmic, I would not have believed it was possible for a great pizza to come off a conveyor belt system

He also had one of the best selection of bottled soft drinks in town - Birch Beer from new england, blueberry soda from Maine, various root beers

<message edited by TJ Jackson on Sun, 06/16/13 6:15 PM>

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/17/13 1:44 PM (permalink)
                    He did have a great selection of bottle soft drinks and TJ you are right about his dedication to his craft.  he knew how to tweek his recipe to make it the best possible and it was extremely good pizza.

He will be missed, and his pizza will be too.

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/18/13 11:48 AM (permalink)
                      A second A Tavola Pizza location opening in Madeira

http://cincinnati.com/blo...ii-opening-in-madeira/
                      <message edited by TJ Jackson on Tue, 06/18/13 11:49 AM>

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/18/13 8:49 PM (permalink)
                        Polly compiled a list of top BBQ joints...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=AB&Dato=20130618&Kategori=ENT09&Lopenr=306180055&Ref=PH/Polly-Campbell-s-top-barbecue-joints

She does lose some credibility for listing City BBQ, which isn't native to Cincinnati.

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/18/13 8:53 PM (permalink)
                          TJ Jackson

A second A Tavola Pizza location opening in Madeira

http://cincinnati.com/blo...ii-opening-in-madeira/

The picture with the burnt crust is a turn off for me, but Madeira's definitely a lot closer so I'll have to give it a shot when it opens.

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 06/19/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
                            Burned - or just charred?

http://slice.seriouseats....charred-or-burned.html

I'm a fan of some char on A Tavola's style of pizza (neopolitan), which is typically made in wood or coal burning ovens which are almost always considerably hotter than most other styles are made in  

I think A Tavola and Pizzelli are the only neopolitan pizzerias in Cincinnati, although an argument can be made for some others like M and Incline and etc

Rabkin

• Total Posts: 65
                              Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 06/19/13 1:49 PM (permalink)
                              Bonk

Polly compiled a list of top BBQ joints...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=AB&Dato=20130618&Kategori=ENT09&Lopenr=306180055&Ref=PH/Polly-Campbell-s-top-barbecue-joints

She does lose some credibility for listing City BBQ, which isn't native to Cincinnati.

And she loses all credibility by listing Montgomery Inn.  I mean, that's like naming LaRosa's one of Cincy's ten best pizzas:  There are certainly people (*cough*withabsolutelyNOtastewhatsoever*cough*) who think it is, but they're all dead wrong, and to do so as a professional food writer just smacks of wanting to earn easy brownie points from the clueless local rubes.

soozycue520

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 06/19/13 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                Polly Campbell's opinions are definitely subjective. She "pleases the masses", more than reviewing good food. I'm not sure if it is her fault, or the Enquirer (cannot piss off any advertisers). And, almost all restaurant owners/employees know who Polly Campbell is. Getting a realistic review is kind of hard, when the restaurant puts on its best face when she walks through the door.
                                My friends and I have a running joke (if that is the right wording), that if Polly doesn't like it, we should go. We will most definitely like it. And, if she likes it, its doors will probably be closed in six months.
                                Sorry Polly. (I know she reads Roadfood, and this particular thread).

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 06/19/13 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                  TJ Jackson

Burned - or just charred?

Neither.

Any kind of blackening on bread is unappealing to me. Then again, I'm the guy who sets the toaster on '4' out of '10' so I don't even get much browning.

soozycue520

dlawson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/21/13 10:38 AM (permalink)
                                      soozycue520

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/cosmic-pizza-shooting-suspect-john-deloney-arrested-by-indianapolis-in-death-of-richard-evans

Sounds like Deters is going to try to throw the book at him, which is good news.

On a separate unfortunate note, Honey in Northside has closed. Not entirely unexpected since they have been trying to sell the building (and restaurant?) for some time, but it still stinks to lose one of the best Sunday brunches in the city.

http://cincinnati.com/blo...y-in-northside-closed/

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/21/13 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                        dlawson

soozycue520

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/cosmic-pizza-shooting-suspect-john-deloney-arrested-by-indianapolis-in-death-of-richard-evans

Sounds like Deters is going to try to throw the book at him, which is good news.

Good. That sub-human piece of trash should never, ever enjoy another day of freedom.

buffetbuster

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/21/13 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                          My brother recently had to go the Cincinnati airport area for business and stayed in the nearby Holiday Inn.  Tired, he just ate in the hotel restaurant, where he was thilled to find a Hot Brown on the menu.  He said it was slightly on the salty side, but the (what he thought was) white cheddar cheese sauce was excellent. 

I certainly wouldn't go looking for a Hot Brown while in the Cincy area, but it makes sense that they serve one in a hotel/restaurant in Kentucky.

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
                                            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/21/13 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                            soozycue520

Just got a pie from there last week. Good stuff.

Tis' sad and I'd love the place to go on but I doubt that will happen. 

And she loses all credibility by listing Montgomery Inn.  I mean, that's like naming LaRosa's one of Cincy's ten best pizzas:  There are certainly people (*cough*withabsolutelyNOtastewhatsoever*cough*) who think it is, but they're all dead wrong, and to do so as a professional food writer just smacks of wanting to earn easy brownie points from the clueless local rubes.

And I have a long standing client that lives in Paris (France, NOT KY) that loves Montgomery Inn and will swing through on business tr5ips and summer jaunts just to eat it.

It's not smoked BBQ. Never claims to be. Just like LaRosa's pizza doesn't claim to be NY style pizza.

Hate all ya want. 
                                            \
                                            Still more lovers locally than bitchers.

BTW, next ya gonna tell me Cincinnati Chili ain't real chili.

Go on.

i wanna know more.

:)

<message edited by jjjrfoodie on Fri, 06/21/13 2:04 PM>

TJ Jackson

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/21/13 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                              don't hate on the haters, jjr - they don't know no better :-)

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                                Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/21/13 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                                When I'm in Ohio next month I'm going to have to pick up some Montgomery Inn sauce to see if it's really as good as a lot of people say.

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 06/21/13 11:02 PM (permalink)
                                                  For the record, I only ripped on her listing City BBQ because it wasn't local, but I don't think it's bad.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                    • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 06/22/13 8:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    ScreamingChicken

When I'm in Ohio next month I'm going to have to pick up some Montgomery Inn sauce to see if it's really as good as a lot of people say.

Stick to roadhouse bbq sauces they are much better!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                                                      Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 06/22/13 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                                      ScreamingChicken

Well, it'll give you something to complain about. Try their ribs, too. Unless, of course, you prefer barbeque.

Michael Hoffman

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 06/22/13 8:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        jjjrfoodie

BTW, next ya gonna tell me Cincinnati Chili ain't real chili.

i wanna know more.

:)

If you truly believe Cincinnati chili is chili then you really need to know more. Cincinnati chili is good stuff, and I enjoy it often on a four-way with onions and on coneys, but it's really nothing more than Greek-style meat sauce.

Bonk

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                          Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 06/23/13 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                                          Michael Hoffman

If you truly believe Cincinnati chili is chili then you really need to know more. Cincinnati chili is good stuff, and I enjoy it often on a four-way with onions and on coneys, but it's really nothing more than Greek-style meat sauce.

I don't have a problem with it being classified as chili. It meets most of the criteria except for the tomatoes.

Now "vegetarian chili" is definitely not chili. Chili is short for chili con carne, so it definitely compromises the definition of it if you take the meat out of the equation.

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 06/23/13 5:12 PM (permalink)
                                                            Bonk

Michael Hoffman

I don't have a problem with it being classified as chili. It meets most of the criteria except for the tomatoes.

Now "vegetarian chili" is definitely not chili. Chili is short for chili con carne, so it definitely compromises the definition of it if you take the meat out of the equation.

But it has no chiles. And by the way, chili without meat is still chili. It's just not chili con carne.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108 > | Showing page 101 of 108, messages 3001 to 3030 of 3220

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 23 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com