The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108 > | Showing page 102 of 108, messages 3031 to 3060 of 3219
Bonk

• Total Posts: 505
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 06/23/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
The recipes I've seen all have chili powder, and yeah, I know, that's not truly chiles but I would still say that qualifies.

I thought "chili" was short for "chili con carne". Even if I'm misinformed on that, I would argue that meat is essential to classify a dish as chili. Calling "vegetarian chili" chili seems like a lot more of a stretch than to not classify something as chili because it uses chili powder vs. actual chiles.

That said, I'm really not sure if all Cincinnati chile places uses chili powder in their recipes. I've never really thought about it, much less asked, but the few recipes I've seen for Cincinnati chili all use chili powder.

<message edited by Bonk on Mon, 06/24/13 12:39 AM>

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
    Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sun, 06/23/13 9:42 PM (permalink)
    I don't know how many people have tried Empress Chili, which was the original Cincinnati-style chili, but it had whole dried red chili peppers in the recipe. There were many times that I would find the whole chili pepper in my 4-way plate. I would just pick it out, and throw it to the side. No problem.

Skyline, and others, branched off from Empress. Maybe they left out those chili peppers, to appeal more to the masses (i.e. less spicy). And, by masses, I mean the tamer palette of my fellow Cincinnatians (I love spice, and few things in Cincy are spicy enough for me). 

Empress has a frozen chili they sell in Cincinnati grocer's freezer cases. It comes in a decent sized bowl. I have bought it, and found those same chili peppers in the frozen Empress Chili.

"Perhaps wisely, they didn't call it what it was: Americanized Greek stew. Just calling it "chili" seemed to make more sense."
    http://www.cincymagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?nm=New+Articles&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=61465020993F438B9FCD60C66CC58CDC&tier=4&id=0482284496484BA29E2E1F90C1D81480
    The article does mention that Empress is spicier than Skyline and Dixie Chili.
    <message edited by soozycue520 on Sun, 06/23/13 9:56 PM>

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 12:38 AM (permalink)
      soozycue520

I don't know how many people have tried Empress Chili, which was the original Cincinnati-style chili, but it had whole dried red chili peppers in the recipe. There were many times that I would find the whole chili pepper in my 4-way plate. I would just pick it out, and throw it to the side. No problem.

Skyline, and others, branched off from Empress. Maybe they left out those chili peppers, to appeal more to the masses (i.e. less spicy). And, by masses, I mean the tamer palette of my fellow Cincinnatians (I love spice, and few things in Cincy are spicy enough for me). 

Empress has a frozen chili they sell in Cincinnati grocer's freezer cases. It comes in a decent sized bowl. I have bought it, and found those same chili peppers in the frozen Empress Chili.

"Perhaps wisely, they didn't call it what it was: Americanized Greek stew. Just calling it "chili" seemed to make more sense."
      http://www.cincymagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?nm=New+Articles&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=61465020993F438B9FCD60C66CC58CDC&tier=4&id=0482284496484BA29E2E1F90C1D81480
      The article does mention that Empress is spicier than Skyline and Dixie Chili.

There used to be an Empress near where I lived when I first moved down here, and I liked it. Among the chains, I've always been a Skyline fan and I think Empress is definitely better than Gold Star, but it just depends on individual taste.

I don't recall whether it was/is spicier than Skyline since it's been almost 15 years since I've had it. Skyline does have a little bit of a kick to it, especially after eating a lot, so it probably has some form of pepper in it in some form.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
        Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 11:21 AM (permalink)
        We have just Skyline around Columbus, and I have to get my fix at least once a month. But I have to say that I don't find it at all spicy until after I've added a lot of their really good hot sauce.

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 12:59 PM (permalink)
          Yeah, I wouldn't call it spicy either. That's why I said it has a little bit of kick (maybe "tangy" would be a better adjective), but only after eating an entire three-way.

For some reason it seems like the do-at-home version is more tangy than the restaurant version.

Time for Pie

• Total Posts: 50
            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 3:53 PM (permalink)
            As a former Cincinnatian who ate Cincy chili at least twice a week, the shock of leaving that behind was nearly traumatic.  And I hear that from other former Cincinnatians often, as well.  So, like others in this predicament, I've had to develop my own recipe.  I think I'm close - I can actually vary the ingredient mix to adjust the flavor between the meatier taste of Skyline and the sweeter Gold Star flavor - but I still have to have the real thing when I get to town.  (My preference is Gold Star for the sweetness, although Skyline is a close second.  I've never liked Empress...at the Hartwell store I've visited or in grocery tubs, their chili always has gristle in it.  Ugh.)  

As far as the kick/tang of Cincy chili, I think it varies according to location (and maybe even by the individual cook).  For Skyline, anyway, the stores are supplied from the company's commissary, resulting in fairly consistent heat.  I have noticed that some stores have thinner or thicker chili, so I guess water is added on location to explain that difference.  But the other local chili companies seem to have a wider range of variation in texture and heat, depending on store location.

Spicy?  I got asked that a lot when I served my chili in my pie shop.  My answer was "Spicy, but not HOT spicy."  And yes, I use chili powder in place of actual peppers.

As to the chili/not chili discussion, that's a tired argument usually raised by folks who just want to argue.  Yes we know it isn't chili as most of the world recognizes it.  Get over it.  If you want to engage in that discussion, there is a thread elsewhere on Roadfood.com dedicated to that.    

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 7:03 PM (permalink)
              Time for Pie

As a former Cincinnatian who ate Cincy chili at least twice a week, the shock of leaving that behind was nearly traumatic.  And I hear that from other former Cincinnatians often, as well.  So, like others in this predicament, I've had to develop my own recipe.  I think I'm close - I can actually vary the ingredient mix to adjust the flavor between the meatier taste of Skyline and the sweeter Gold Star flavor - but I still have to have the real thing when I get to town.  (My preference is Gold Star for the sweetness, although Skyline is a close second.  I've never liked Empress...at the Hartwell store I've visited or in grocery tubs, their chili always has gristle in it.  Ugh.)  

As far as the kick/tang of Cincy chili, I think it varies according to location (and maybe even by the individual cook).  For Skyline, anyway, the stores are supplied from the company's commissary, resulting in fairly consistent heat.  I have noticed that some stores have thinner or thicker chili, so I guess water is added on location to explain that difference.  But the other local chili companies seem to have a wider range of variation in texture and heat, depending on store location.

Spicy?  I got asked that a lot when I served my chili in my pie shop.  My answer was "Spicy, but not HOT spicy."  And yes, I use chili powder in place of actual peppers.

As to the chili/not chili discussion, that's a tired arg, wument usually raised by folks who just want to argue.  Yes we know it isn't chili as most of the world recognizes it.  Get over it.  If you want to engage in that discussion, there is a thread elsewhere on Roadfood.com dedicated to that.    

Not sure if you know this and I'm not sure it helps if you didn't, but it's my understanding all Meijers carry Skyline. I know for a fact all the ones in Chicago do. They do have one in Springfield, Ill., which would still be a decent drive for you but it's a lot closer than Cincinnati.

Michael Hoffman

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 8:26 PM (permalink)
                Time for Pie

As to the chili/not chili discussion, that's a tired argument usually raised by folks who just want to argue.  Yes we know it isn't chili as most of the world recognizes it.  Get over it.  If you want to engage in that discussion, there is a thread elsewhere on Roadfood.com dedicated to that.    

I never want to argue. And while I really, really enjoy the stuff it just flat-out isn't chili.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                  Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 8:29 PM (permalink)
                  I could reply "but it is"

Then you could reply "no it ain't"

Repeat repeat repeat

Let's just let it go, eh, at least in this particular thread?

Michael Hoffman

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 8:52 PM (permalink)
                    C'mon TJ. You just want to keep your thread all to yourself.

Time for Pie

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 9:15 PM (permalink)
                      Michael Hoffman

I never want to argue. And while I really, really enjoy the stuff it just flat-out isn't chili.
                      It is when you are in Cincinnati.  And has been for 60+ years.  But my point is that nearly everyone who has been exposed to Cincinnati chili understands that it isn't what most "outsiders" expect by the name.  You aren't breaking new ground, just stirring up a tired argument.

And you are arguing. ;) 

Michael Hoffman

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 9:27 PM (permalink)
                        I never argue, because when one is correct there can be no argument.

Time for Pie

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 11:15 PM (permalink)
                          Michael Hoffman

I never argue, because when one is correct there can be no argument.

Ok, Mr. Cleese, I see what you are doing.  I'm letting it go now.  :)  

Michael Hoffman

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 11:18 PM (permalink)
                            Mr. Cleese?

Time for Pie

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 11:27 PM (permalink)
                              Michael Hoffman

Mr. Cleese?

Michael Hoffman

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 11:35 PM (permalink)
                                I have absolutely no idea what that was about, and I still don't understand "Mr. Cleese."

Time for Pie

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 06/24/13 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                  John Cleese.  Famous comic actor (the man on the right in the still frame fronting that YouTube clip.)  Portraying the deliberately obtuse Mr. Vibrating in room 12A in that classic skit with his comedy troupe, Monty Python.   You have heard of them, right?

Michael Hoffman

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/25/13 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                    I've heard of Monty Python, but I don't believe I've ever heard or seen him.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/25/13 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                      Please save the off-topic spur lines for the Off-topic forum...Keep this to the theme and chili subject matter.
                                      Al

Time for Pie

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/25/13 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                        Sorry Al.  I was just amused by the similarity of the Python bit to TJ's comment above (and to Michael's responses as well.).  Just having some fun.  Done now.

Time for Pie

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/25/13 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                          Bonk

Not sure if you know this and I'm not sure it helps if you didn't, but it's my understanding all Meijers carry Skyline. I know for a fact all the ones in Chicago do. They do have one in Springfield, Ill., which would still be a decent drive for you but it's a lot closer than Cincinnati.
                                          Thanks for the tip on Springfield...I'll check that out someday.  I also got a tip that it might be found at the few Krogers stores left in the St. Louis area. 

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/25/13 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                            Time for Pie... No big deal, thanks for your assistance.  BTW I use "I'm A Lumberjack" as my cell ringer. MP should be the topic of discussion down in the Misc Forum sometime soon.

roarke

• Total Posts: 5
                                              Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 06/25/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                              Does anyone know if Choo Choo's plans to return after the recent fire? My father loves/loved Choo Choo's (in part for the train theme). Their Facebook page references retiring the Facebook page and starting a new page, but doesn't really explain what they plan for the restaurant (unless I missed it, which wouldn't surprise me). 

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
                                                Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 07/8/13 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                                Sorry mods for "chumming the chili war". :)

Yes.
                                                I knew what I did and it was a bad thing.
                                                Sorry Al. :(

In honor of TJ I talked to Oleg this weekend.

Seems he is doing the once a month Lawrenceburg,In flea mkt. first Sunday of every month.

Killer donner kebabs , curried meats and other offerings.
                                                He said he is trying to work out a deal for a parking lot location in Mason which is awesome.

Oleg and Ms. Oleg were cranking out good food out of a trailer.
                                                Oh when worlds collide.
                                                :)
                                                 BTW, Camp Washington Chili is closed for vactaion thru this week (July 1 to the 14th) just in case no one knew.

I stockpiled my not "chili" chili just for MH.

<message edited by jjjrfoodie on Mon, 07/8/13 10:05 AM>

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                                  Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 07/11/13 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                                  credit to CincinnatiBites for tweeting about a Venezualan place in Deer Park

http://www.arrechissimo.com
                                                  http://www.arrechissimo.com/pdf/menu.pdf

I am guessing it just opened recently

Anyone been there?

<message edited by TJ Jackson on Thu, 07/11/13 6:29 PM>

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 07/12/13 11:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    TJ Jackson

credit to CincinnatiBites for tweeting about a Venezualan place in Deer Park

http://www.arrechissimo.com
                                                    http://www.arrechissimo.com/pdf/menu.pdf

I am guessing it just opened recently

Anyone been there?

Not me...looks interesting though. A prospect minor leaguer from Caracas who never panned out was telling me about Venezuelan food and it sounded awesome. Can't say I've ever had a real arepa.
                                                    <message edited by Bonk on Fri, 07/12/13 11:59 PM>

Bonk

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 07/17/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                                      Jungle Jim's Eastgate keeps getting better and better. In addition to doing growlers at reasonable prices and samples, sometimes on weekends they're doing pints.

I do about 80 percent of my grocery shopping there.

On weekends they do tons of food demonstrations, they have a sushi place an olive oil store and a chocolate pizza store near the entrance.

I remember a while back a couple of people on here said Eastgate wasn't nearly as good as Fairfield, but I couldn't find them. Not disagreeing but I'm curious what was better at the Fairfield location.

Personally, I like how Eastgate is more wide open so you can maneuver a cart around more easily.

Delilah77

• Total Posts: 31
                                                        Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 07/18/13 8:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        I like the Eastgate Jungle Jim's better than the Fairfield location. I like the wider aisles, the Olive Oil Store, the Colonel De's Spice Store, and their Kitchen wares store. The fish counter is fantastic and I've gotten some of the freshest fish I've ever bought in Cincinnati. The Eastgate location is also a lot more convenient for me.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                                          • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                          Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 07/18/13 8:47 AM (permalink)
                                                          Delilah77

I like the Eastgate Jungle Jim's better than the Fairfield location. I like the wider aisles, the Olive Oil Store, the Colonel De's Spice Store, and their Kitchen wares store. The fish counter is fantastic and I've gotten some of the freshest fish I've ever bought in Cincinnati. The Eastgate location is also a lot more convenient for me.

I agree!  I do have to spend more time there though so I don't keep getting confused about where stuff is.

Bonk

Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 07/18/13 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                                            NYPIzzaNut

Delilah77

I agree!  I do have to spend more time there though so I don't keep getting confused about where stuff is.

Yeah, it took me about 5 or 6 trips, especially since I had it engrained in my head that the layout should mirror Fairfield, which it obviously doesn't.

I was very concerned the first few months because the volume of people was dismayingly small, but it's really picked up since spring.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..101102103104105106107108 > | Showing page 102 of 108, messages 3031 to 3060 of 3219

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com