The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!)

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Wed, 12/10/08 12:42 AM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Here is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Military_District which is a portion of southwestern Ohio granted by Virginia to use as payment to Revolutionary War veterans.

Let's discuss Roadfoodish dining options in the area roughly between the eastern edge of the Cincinnati-Dayton metro area on the west and the Scioto River on the east. The historic district actually extends northward to Kenton, but the most culturally distinct, "southern" portion of it is the swath consisting of towns like Wilmington, Xenia, Hillsboro, Chillicothe, Waverly, and the many tiny burgs scattered through the region.

Let's discuss places that are worth at least a 5 to 10 mile detour in travel itinerary.

Ok, definition completed.

Here are some ideas for places to discuss and your experiences there, in stream of consciousness order. You may disagree with the "worth a detour" definition above on any of these, and it would be good to know why. (Please post reviews of different places, too.)

Chillicothe:
Sumburger
Old Canal Smokehouse

Wilmington:
Beaugard's Southern BBQ
68 Family Restaurant
The General Denver Hotel

Blanchester:
Cockrell's Family Restaurant

Sabina:
Kim's Classic Diner

Cowan Lake Area:
Spillway Lodge
Capricorn Inn

Xenia:
(OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS. No clue on any roadfood here, and I am local!)

Lebanon/Oregonia:
Little River Cafe

Cedarville:
Colonial Pizza
A bunch of small college type joints

Highland, Adams, Pike, Ross, Brown, Clermont, and Madison Counties:
No idea, please suggest some places.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
    RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Wed, 12/10/08 9:31 AM (permalink)
    I have a couple of places for you. First in Waverly go to Lake White Club. I was just thinking about this place as I was looking at the Remember When... thread. It is propably exaclty like it was in the 50s. You start with a choice of tomato juice or chicken soup (just broth with a crouton in it). And then get a fried chicken dinner. Legendary in that area.

In Chillicothe, Sumburger is good. I also like Jerry's pizza on S. Paint St. It's really more bar than pizza joint but the pizza is pretty good. It is very thin cracker crust (rumor has it there are cheez-its in the crust) cut into long thin strips. One person can easily eat a large. Then for the sweet tooth, visit the New System Bakery on Main St if you can get there when they are actually open. I have been unlucky with that lately. And for donuts go to Crispie Cream at the corner of Bridge and 2nd St. That is not misspelled. It is an independent place with very good glazed donuts and sticks. The other donuts are ok but the glazed is defnitely worth a detour for.

By the way, you have the old canal smokehouse listed and while it is ok for Chillicothe, you will not think you are in the south by any stretch. Ribs are decent. The brisket I had was not great.

donw9876

RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Wed, 12/10/08 12:49 PM (permalink)
      Thanks! I found this: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g51110-d462574-r20730357-Lake_White_Club-Waverly_Ohio.html

And this: http://www.travelohio.com/ohio-scripts/toigpage.asp?zid=168&zregion=&zcounty=&zname=memb&zcaller=index.asp

It sounds like the Lake White Club is most definitely worth a detour and the setting looks fantastic.

We've stopped at Sumburger a few times when seeing Tecumseh. The format is a lot of fun, and the food is good for a burger/diner joint. It's what Sonic ought to be.

I've read a few blog reviews of Old Canal and they were very mixed. One said it was fine, another trashed the service and some of the food.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
        RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Wed, 12/10/08 1:02 PM (permalink)
        My father (who grew up in Chillicothe) has also weighed in with his suggestion of Carl's townhouse on 2nd st. for cheeseburgers. It is in a new location and he says is not as good as it used to be. According to him, they cleaned the grill when they moved and ruined it. He thinks it will be good again in 20 years.

donw9876

RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Sat, 12/13/08 1:04 AM (permalink)
          Trip Report: Werner's Barbeque - http://www.wernersbbq.com/

11396 Allen Rd, Jeffersonville, OH 43128-9773 (across from Prime Outlets)

We arrived this Friday evening about 6:30 - the peak of the Christmas shopping season. The parking lot was almost full on the two sides and the front, and almost all of the booths were occupied at the moment we entered - indicating a popular restaurant.

When we arrived, people who were waiting to be seated were filling the entry hall. The lady who was managing the seating was clearly disorganized, and we stood for about 10 min. waiting for her to return from running around the restaurant managing various activities, to seat us.

We were waited on promptly by a young server; as she was about to take our drink order and she was opening her mouth to greet us, the gal heading the door detail called her away from our table to do something else. The girl came back and apologized.

(A rant: why can small non-chain restaurants be so completely brain-dead about operating efficiently? They clearly have no logical system in place and the lady waiting on arriving customers hasn't the first clue about managing her time. I observed huge groups of people piling up in the foyer for lengthy periods while there were several tables opening up. Every small restaurant that gets busy seems to be screwed up like this. Crappy service in some aspect is my one pet peeve about road food.)

Ok, enough about the service, which was seamless once our waitress was taking care of us.

The place has a bar, which itself seemed pretty busy. I was driving and we were simply thirsty for coffee and soft drinks.

You can get sandwiches, pulled pork wraps, ribs, flatiron steak, ham, brisket, chops, and a few other meat items, supposedly all smoked. They even do a pulled pork wrap (I had one at the Warren County Fair from a Werner's truck a few years ago and it was not the best fast food I've ever had.) They have one "sampler" but it's a selection of ribs and pork chops. They have smoked sausage but apparently you can only get it with sauerkraut on a platter of mashed potatoes. They don't have any sampler platters that can combine pulled meats, sausage, and brisket, as City BBQ does. If I had a complaint about the entree selection, it would be that it is fairly inflexible and lacks interesting combinations (the menu says "no substitutions", which is a negative exception to the usual flexibility of road food.)

The available sides are the familiar fried favorites of such places, except that Werners doesn't serve collared greens, an important omission in my book. (I'll make a guess that Werner's owners don't have a strong southern connection.)

My wife and I each ordered the pulled pork, a $10 platter that comes with two sides. You receive a rather large amount of pulled pork, at least 12 oz. I got green beans as one side and a baked potato. My wife got onion rings and a green salad. My brother got the grilled ham, pretty ordinary looking corn, and seasoned potato wedges.

My green beans seemed to be canned and rather bland with small chunks of ham. The onion rings seemed to be freshly made, and were crisp but not fried "hard" and not greasy. The seasoned wedges were quite good. The corn bread that you can get as an option with your dinner was good; it was the type that is augmented with yellow cake mix.

My brother reported that the ham was excellent. The pulled pork would be very good if it were supposed to be a plain roasted meat, but I *really* could not detect much, if any, smoke flavor, and there were even some burnt ends and some evidence of red smoke rings. I did get a little trace of smoke flavor in the burnt edges. The pulled pork is served dry. It is also quite lean. They have a BBQ sauces in squeeze bottles in medium, mustard, and "hot" variations, and a squeeze bottle of vinegar sauce.

My guess is that as the restaurant gets busy, they hurry the smoking process too much to really smoke the meat. We ate at Werner's perhaps 4-6 months ago in the summer and the pulled pork was much tastier then, but the place was much less busy.

We didn't get desert.

If I compared it to Smokey Bones, which is the place regionally with the most similar format, it falls short on the quality and the variety of the food. It has some items that are similar to City BBQ but I prefer City's meats and combinations, and City also has the southern greens.

Kudos to our waitress, who made up for the disorganized and tardy greeting.

Conclusion: Werner's is a good capoff to a day of slogging around Prime Outlets Jeffersonville. It is a welcome change from the fast food hell surrounding the mall. And it's worth a jog off of I-71 if you are headed in that direction, and you like barbeque. The "barbeque" component of the meat served is limited to the table sauces that they provide. And the smoked quality seems to decline in proportion to the customer traffic that they get.

I'd give it a 6 out of 10. As it stands, I would not make a lengthy road trip out of Werner's.

ardee

• Total Posts: 131
            RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Sat, 12/13/08 11:15 PM (permalink)
            I will start off with some nit-picking -- while the Sumburger is definitely an excellent roadfood choice, it is not in the Virginia Military District. It is on the wrong side of the Scioto River, which is the eastern boundary of the district.

Now that I have that out of the way, here are some other suggestions for Pike County. Waverly has the Emmitt House and Diner 23 -- see www.emmitthouse.com and www.diner23.com for more information about the two. Emmitt House is definitely worth a detour, and I also agree about the fried chicken at the Lake White Club.

There is also Tom's Restaurant, west of Piketon just off Ohio-32. It is on Tennyson Road, 6 miles west of the intersection of US-23 and Ohio-32. I have had breakfast here several times, and have had carryout pizza several times -- the pizza is very good. Not at all what you would expect from a country cafe and truck stop.

• Total Posts: 335
              RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Sun, 12/14/08 10:29 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by donw9876

I ate there three years ago, when it was located at the I-71/US 68 interchange north of Wilmington (about 15 miles closer to Cincinnati). It advertises (or at least used to) on WBZI 1500 in Xenia, a classic country radio station. That's how I heard about it.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Sun, 12/14/08 11:29 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by donw9876

I was there about a year ago. Terrible!

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
                  RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Tue, 12/23/08 7:47 PM (permalink)
                  Werner's??? Some of the worst food I have ever tasted. The only smoke that their "bbq" sees is liquid smoke. I wouldn't walk across the sidewalk to eat there even if they offered free food.
                  There is no decent place to eat in Xenia except for the Acapulco mexican restaurant, which to my taste is quite good. The 68 Family Restaurant about 10 miles south of town is close to an old-fashioned diner, nothing fancy, but most everything is cooked on site, good portions and reasonably priced. I have breakfast there every Sunday on my way to Wilmington - 2 eggs, home fries, and a large biscuit w/gravy is $4. It's all I can eat.
                  Bill

donw9876

RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Tue, 12/23/08 11:06 PM (permalink)
                    Roadkill Bill

Werner's??? Some of the worst food I have ever tasted. The only smoke that their "bbq" sees is liquid smoke. I wouldn't walk across the sidewalk to eat there even if they offered free food.

Lol. I did smell wood smoke outside the place in Jeffersonville. But I think they hurried the meat. It reeks of lack of quality control. (same issue as the stupid lady who couldn't organize the seating of arrivals.)

Roadkill Bill

There is no decent place to eat in Xenia except for the Acapulco mexican restaurant, which to my taste is quite good. The 68 Family Restaurant about 10 miles south of town is close to an old-fashioned diner, nothing fancy, but most everything is cooked on site, good portions and reasonably priced. I have breakfast there every Sunday on my way to Wilmington - 2 eggs, home fries, and a large biscuit w/gravy is $4. It's all I can eat.
                    Bill

Found it. In Lumberton, just south of the Clinton-Greene county line. Thanks for the report. I've been curious about that place.

<message edited by donw9876 on Tue, 12/23/08 11:40 PM>

RKB

RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Sun, 12/28/08 8:29 AM (permalink)
                      Yep, I could smell wood smoke too, but I sure couldn't taste it on the food, and didn't see the smoke ring either, but I could taste liquid smoke. It has a very distinct taste.
                      I normally don't eat out at 'bbq' joints, I have a couple smokers and make my own Q, but someone else wanted to go so we tried it.
                      Bill 
                      <message edited by Roadkill Bill on Sun, 12/28/08 8:31 AM>

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                        RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Sun, 12/28/08 10:54 AM (permalink)
                        I couldn't tell from the map if Portsmouth is in the district, but if it is not I would say it is right on the line.   Anyway, there is a good BBQ place there called the Scioto Ribber.  They have county style ribs that come off more like pork chops than the baby back ribs you normally equate with ribs.  They also do a pretty good steak.  I found both the steak and the pork to be tender with a nice touch of hickory smoke.  The portions are generous, and the restaurant serves some good, local microbrews.  

http://www.sciotoribber.com/

sudie

• Total Posts: 228
                          RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Wed, 01/14/09 10:09 PM (permalink)
                          I live in the VA military district (eastern Hamilton County) on registered land.  You can come to my house...we are wonderful cooks!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                            RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Thu, 01/15/09 2:08 AM (permalink)
                            Robearjr

I couldn't tell from the map if Portsmouth is in the district, but if it is not I would say it is right on the line.   Anyway, there is a good BBQ place there called the Scioto Ribber. 

Doggone! How can you run a restaurant if you can't even spell RIVER?

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                              RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Thu, 01/15/09 11:09 AM (permalink)
                              I live in Sardinia in Brown County - our favorite restaurant in this area is the Country Inn on Rt 68 in Mt. Orab, also in Brown County.  They have some of the best fried chicken I have ever eaten and their chicken fried steak is wonderful.  They offer two great  soups always on their salad bar.  This place has been mentioned a good bit on the Cincinnati and N KY thread if you wish to search more comments out - here is some basic info on the place:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=country+inn+mt+orab&fb=1&split=1&view=text&latlng=13708120476826796726

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Thu, 01/15/09 11:16 AM>

rainsux

• Total Posts: 68
                                RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Tue, 01/20/09 7:21 PM (permalink)
                                The restaurant in Lumberton is easy to miss:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lumberton,+ohio&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.861942,56.25&ie=UTF8&ll=39.556736,-83.848515&spn=0.033154,0.054932&z=14&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=39.556843,-83.848489&panoid=PD4uHLru35OC5HARzYZnXA&cbp=12,276.28540031473744,,0,5

Locally; they are known for their pies.  Otherwise;  it's a good
                                roadfood stop.  Also one of the few places that I know of where
                                mush is on the breakfast menu.

NYPIzzaNut

RE: Dining in the Virginia Military District (Ohio!) Tue, 01/20/09 7:26 PM (permalink)
                                  rainsux

The restaurant in Lumberton is easy to miss:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lumberton,+ohio&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.861942,56.25&ie=UTF8&ll=39.556736,-83.848515&spn=0.033154,0.054932&z=14&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=39.556843,-83.848489&panoid=PD4uHLru35OC5HARzYZnXA&cbp=12,276.28540031473744,,0,5

Locally; they are known for their pies.  Otherwise;  it's a good
                                  roadfood stop.  Also one of the few places that I know of where
                                  mush is on the breakfast menu.

Just look for a large faded light blue frame building - the sign for it is illegible virtually.

donw9876

Spillway Lodge, Clarksville (Wilmington outskirts) trip report Sun, 07/26/09 12:58 AM (permalink)
                                    [This post was marked as helpful]
                                    My wife and I went on the evening of July 25, 2009, a Saturday evening.

Specifics: to find the Spillway, look for "Old State Road" which intersects SR 730 about 1000 ft north of the junction of SR 350. There is a small sign indicating the turn. You'll proceed on a narrow road that eventually runs along a creek, and the restaurant driveway is unmarked blacktop that Ys off the road to the left (assuming you are going west/north on State Rd.) Park where you can in the gravel parking lot.

The restaurant (not really a lodge or an "inn") is one story inside a converted farmhouse set on a hillside overlooking a valley, where you can almost see the spillway of Cowan Lake from the restaurant.

Impressions and my past history with the place:

My general impression of the Spillway is: mainly a locals place that caters to a local crowd. Decor inside is dated and worn with lots of dark wood like walnut and dark paneling, sort of like the state park nearby that went out of fashion with the construction of Caesars Creek SP in the late 1970s. There is a porch area in the back of the place with a sitting area and a deck outside which looks like an overflow seating area - it overlooks the hill - I have never seen it in use in the last 10 years.

The nicest places to sit in the place are the booths in the rear of the restaurant that overlook the hillside. Otherwise, there are lots of smallish, low dark wood tables with colonial style chairs from the 70s.

We used to go a few times a year back around 2000, then we hit a stretch of really poor table service (I mean somewhat hostile and unpleasant, with waitresses being replaced in the middle of our meal) at the restaurant. We tried it again about a year ago just to get out of town, and service has been OK on the 3-4 occasions we've tried it since then.

The menu:

The restaurant's main focus is grilled meats: steaks, pork chops, chicken, shrimp, some fish like salmon, and they also have some pastas that I have never tried. I never recall having soup there. There is a salad bar (explained below.) It's basically straight up American steakhouse fare.

Our meal:

The night we were there, they were offering a steak fajita meal for $14.95, or with salad bar for (I think) $16.95. My wife selected this entree, with the salad bar. I chose the "steak and shrimp", a 9 oz NY Strip (done Medium) and five large grilled shrimp, with the home fries, and salad bar, for about $20.50.

(On local-yokel peculiarity of this joint is that when we asked a few years ago, they would absolutely not substitute a non-potato, like onion rings, for the potato that comes with the meal. We have not asked since then. )

My meal:

My steak was grilled a bit unevenly, with a burnt tip at one end. The interior was a bit less pink than I am used to with "Medium", and the edges were really in "medium well" territory, but it wasn't so far off that I felt like sending it back. It was flavorful and tender with good marbling.

The shrimp were a bit "off". Generally the grilled shrimp here have a succulent, black grill marked exterior. These shrimp were mainly white on the outside, with a bit of black, and covered with way too much paprika for color. They were fully cooked, but they weren't seared and colored by high heat as I have come to expect. (They looked boiled, not grilled.)

My wife's dinner:

The fajitas were not as good a choice as my meal.

The fajitas were served almost Mexican style. I say "almost" because they had some, but not all the elements of real fajitas. There were three warm tortillas wrapped in foil; a small cup of salsa; the fajita strips were mixed with grilled onions, peppers, and relatively flavorless kernel corn.

My wife said that the fajitas didn't have any flavor. Basically they tasted extremely dry and flavorless.

Also, while the requisite skillet they brought them out on was steaming hot, my wife reported that everything cooled off *very* quickly. The dryness and flavorlessness of the fajitas had me wondering if they make a huge batch at the start of the evening and serve it until closing.

Also, these fajitas had absolutely no discernable seasoning, Mexican or otherwise. No cumin or other flavors. Basically they seem to have grilled strips of (probably) skirt or flank steak with no marinade.

My impression is that the fajitas were basically a cheap (and low quality) way to present something called a "steak" to customers for an inexpensive price, and they didn't have a good handle on how to season or present them. Next time we will avoid, as we will anything else that seems like too much of an experiment for this place.

The salad bar:

Some of the items in the salad bar - such as the sprouts - just seem a bit tired. We often find croutons swimming in the crocks of salad dressing. No sneeze guard. We think that the salad bar needs more attention and some fresher ingredients.

The bread that comes with the meal is a DIY thing: they leave a loaf of Walmart bakery bread (really - it's on the wrapper) in the bag on a cutting board and you saw your own pieces off with a bread knife. They leave the bag on the bread so that in theory customers are not touching the loaf. Still it's a mild turn off. Margarine is dished communally out of a large crock of margarine on the bread table, which is at the end of the salad bar.

Service:

Tonight we didn't feel like we received very attentive service at our table. Not bad service, just the "set it and forget it" kind. This was reflected in our tip.

Conclusions:

I had a great meal, with the exceptions that the steak was a bit overdone, the shrimp had no grill color or flavor, and the salad bar was lame. My wife had a mediocre meal and wished she had picked something else. Check for two with soft drinks and no coffee or dessert was $41 and change.

We go to the Spillway when we get tired of eating at the same local places and we are ready for a country drive out to the Cowan Lake vicinity.

My opinion is that the cook(s) don't have much of a range of experience and don't innovate well at all.

This restaurant is coasting, in my opinion. They have great potential, but they cling to exactly the same format with no changes. With competition they would not be able to compete and stay in business. I suspect that the economy in Clinton County (DHL layoffs) has something to do with the lack of improvements to the business.

They need improvement and a facelift in all regards: food (variety and quality of non-steak entrees), the salad bar, and more customer friendly policies (never ran into any other place that would not give you rings instead of fries.) They could really use someone with a formal culinary background in the kitchen.

And in general they don't seem to try very hard - they can't even cut pieces of bread for the customers and they let customers manhandle the loaves themselves? C'mon.

Still, it's our thing to run out there once in a while, mainly for the outdoors atmosphere and the drive and to get away. Tonight was about an average experience for this restaurant for us.
                                    <message edited by donw9876 on Sun, 07/26/09 1:12 AM>

donw9876

Re:Spillway Lodge, Clarksville (Wilmington outskirts) trip report Tue, 08/25/09 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                      Update on Spillway: who am I kidding? It sucked.

I suggested to my wife last weekend that we go there and she shot me down very decisively. Guess this is the start of another 3-5 year hiatus. Too bad, we really enjoy the setting.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                        Re:Spillway Lodge, Clarksville (Wilmington outskirts) trip report Wed, 08/26/09 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                        I like Lake Manor on Route 68 South of Mt. Orab.

Great place. Terrific salad bar. One of the few places in the area you can still get a plate of chicken livers if that's your preference. Good desserts. I highly recommend it.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Spillway Lodge, Clarksville (Wilmington outskirts) trip report Wed, 08/26/09 11:11 AM (permalink)

donw9876

Re:Spillway Lodge, Clarksville (Wilmington outskirts) trip report Wed, 08/26/09 1:52 PM (permalink)
                                            Thanks to both of ya!

RKB

Re:Spillway Lodge, Clarksville (Wilmington outskirts) trip report Thu, 08/27/09 7:00 PM (permalink)
                                              Instead of the Spillway, go a bit farther and try the Capricorn Inn, known locally as Rod's. The hours are oddball, but that's Rod for you, he is quite a character. The Rodburger and fries is awesome, though. The hours used to be on MySpace, they may still be. Used to be 5-9 on Wed, Thu 11-2 and 5-9, stuff like that. I gotta stop there Wednesday when I go to Wilmington, its been a while. I'll try to remember to post an update on the hours. 

<message edited by Roadkill Bill on Thu, 08/27/09 7:04 PM>

donw9876

Re:Spillway Lodge, Clarksville (Wilmington outskirts) trip report Fri, 08/28/09 1:15 AM (permalink)
                                                I have seen some positive comments on the Capricorn Inn, but every time I drive by the place looks like it's closed. Is it bar like or is it more like a diner?

Anyway, thanks, I'll look forward to your update.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com