The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Roadfood.com Update

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 111
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 7:20 PM (permalink)

Why have I had to log in virtually every time I come to Roadfood's forums? Yes, I check the box to be kept logged in. No, I've not changed anything. All I know is that I have to log in almost every single time.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
    Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 7:30 PM (permalink)
    Alright already...I did admit the emperor has underwear, anyway in Firefox. It is clean underwear at that.
    Then again, there is the color clash between the new logo and the color scheme of the site. It looks like a color blind mother dressed her kid funny and he has to go out into the world that way.

The new logo does have possibilities, but I don't think it is ready for prime time.

I suppose the main issue I have with the new format is that it violates my first rule of web development. It seems to have been posted on the fly and haphazardly over a long period of time.

Anytime I have developed a site I always tested every change...over and over before it was presented to the public. I would never think of doing such a thing piecemeal over such a long period of time. It is ready when it is completely ready and that's when you go for it. 

GG's Law: make sure the fledgling is ready to fly...then let it go into the world.

Tony Bad

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:09 PM (permalink)
      Greyghost

Alright already...I did admit the emperor has underwear, anyway in Firefox. It is clean underwear at that.
      Then again, there is the color clash between the new logo and the color scheme of the site. It looks like a color blind mother dressed her kid funny and he has to go out into the world that way.

The new logo does have possibilities, but I don't think it is ready for prime time.

I suppose the main issue I have with the new format is that it violates my first rule of web development. It seems to have been posted on the fly and haphazardly over a long period of time.

Anytime I have developed a site I always tested every change...over and over before it was presented to the public. I would never think of doing such a thing piecemeal over such a long period of time. It is ready when it is completely ready and that's when you go for it. 

GG's Law: make sure the fledgling is ready to fly...then let it go into the world.

I still think there are some issues on your end, as I am not seeing the things you describe in firefox or safari. I am having a hard time equating your report of having developed web sites and your not knowing to clear your system before loading a new version of an old, previously viewed site. 

Tony Bad

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:19 PM (permalink)
        Michael Hoffman

Why have I had to log in virtually every time I come to Roadfood's forums? Yes, I check the box to be kept logged in. No, I've not changed anything. All I know is that I have to log in almost every single time.

It could be a few things. You may have your security settings set to delete temporary files when you close the browser or you may have an anti-virus or spyware program that deletes cookies when you shut down your browser. Either of these things could cause your computer to not remember you.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
          Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:23 PM (permalink)
          Greyghost

GG

I've been involved with ramp ups, startups, major upgrades, systems changes etc etc and I have yet to se one that goes up with no problems or gritches or refinements.  If you're such an expert on all things computer, Quit your bitchin' & Monday Morning Quarterbacking; Get off your pulpit and make a positive contribution like offering to solve all Steve's problems ovenight and THEN we'll declare you an expert.

What we have right now is a vast improvement over the previous site, glitches and all

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:27 PM (permalink)
            Greyghost

Greyghost, it sounds like you are much more qualified than me.  Perhaps you should build your own Roadfood web site in your spare time and then I can assist in migrating all the content to you?  Judging by the number of posts, you probably have more free time than me to accomplish this task.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 8:50 PM (permalink)
              Tony Bad

Michael Hoffman

It could be a few things. You may have your security settings set to delete temporary files when you close the browser or you may have an anti-virus or spyware program that deletes cookies when you shut down your browser. Either of these things could cause your computer to not remember you.

Considering the fact that this is the only website where this is happening, I doubt either of those things could be the cause.

By the way, I had to log in again to see yourpost.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 9:04 PM (permalink)
                I just left Roadfood and then came back.This time I did not have to log in. Thanks for fixing whatever was wrong.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                  Re:Roadfood.com Update Fri, 01/16/09 9:07 PM (permalink)
                  I've the same issue as MH. I have to log in every time, regardless of which computer I'm using (2 at home, 1 at work). I'm using Vista with Firefox 3.0.5.

I love the new look, though.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                    Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 5:22 AM (permalink)
                    Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

I don't understand, Greyghost.  Could you give an example of where the front page is a mess?  I'm not seeing it.

I think the layout of the front page should be wider to fill up the screen.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 9:11 AM (permalink)
                      And once again I had to log on. This is getting old.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                        Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 9:53 AM (permalink)
                        MH it's happening to me too.  And I can't discern a pattern either.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 10:04 AM (permalink)
                          Try clicking the signout button in the upper-right hand corner and then close your browser.  Afterwards, clear your browser cache and Roadfood cookies.  Let me know if that works.

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                            Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 10:28 AM (permalink)
                            Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Try clicking the signout button in the upper-right hand corner and then close your browser.  Afterwards, clear your browser cache and Roadfood cookies.  Let me know if that works.

AH HAA! Now it works perfectly!
                            Thanks!

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 10:41 AM (permalink)
                              jeepguy

Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

I don't understand, Greyghost.  Could you give an example of where the front page is a mess?  I'm not seeing it.

I think the layout of the front page should be wider to fill up the screen.

jeepguy, do you have a widescreen monitor?

Michael Hoffman

Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 11:11 AM (permalink)
                                Stephen Rushmore Jr.

First, the signout button says I'm not authorized because I'm not an insider. Second, I closed my browser and cleared my cache. Third, I just had to sign in again, for the second time since clearing my cache.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                  Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                  I'm not a Roadfood insider and I was able to sign out. I cleared my history and I cleared my Roadfood.com cookies and now everything works.

BTW, Cntrl-F5 does not work on Macs to clear cookies. For everyone, unless you want to clear cookies to every site I would not recommend it. In Firefox you can go to Preferences, show cookies, do a search on "Roadfood.com" and clear just those cookies. You can do the same with History > Show all history > and search Roadfood.com.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                    Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                    Love the layout. Still need help on how to edit posts .

Michael Hoffman

Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                      Davydd

I'm not a Roadfood insider and I was able to sign out. I cleared my history and I cleared my Roadfood.com cookies and now everything works.

This is what I get when I click on the sign out button at the top right:

Sorry...This page is for subscribers of the Roadfood Insider

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                        Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 11:38 AM (permalink)
                                        I was trying to think of what the new Roadfood logo reminded me of, and then it hit me that it's the same color as the formica in the Airport Diner in Kutztown PA.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                          Michael, clearing your cookies has the same effect as signing out.  After you do that, clear your browser cache and everything should work.  You browser is still stuck on the old authentication system.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                            Ruby-
                                               You traced the secret! Congratulations. We had a secret meeting and selected the color from a bunch of tile samples from small city airport dinners around the country.
                                            1st Runner-up was the Bison-Beige from the Lewiston Idaho Airport cafe
                                            2nd Runner-up was Meerkat Magenta from the Laredo Texas Airport Taco stand
                                            And Finally. The 3rd Runner-up was the Runny-Yolk Yellow from the Airport diner in Sunbury,Ohio.

I think we selected he Best of the Bunch!

And Michael... I had the same trouble signing off and on until I cleared out the cookies in my IE cache file.  I had to re-enter them with each of the sites I had stuff stored for, but that has been fairly easy, even for me !!
                                            <message edited by Al-The Mayor-Bowen on Sat, 01/17/09 12:09 PM>

AHR

• Total Posts: 26
                                              Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                              A minor thing, but since the new logo appears everywhere:  Were two of the four screwholes in the license plate logo deliberately misplaced?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 1:20 PM (permalink)

A minor thing, but since the new logo appears everywhere: Were two of the four screwholes in the license plate logo deliberately misplaced?

Huh?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                  Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                                  mr chips

I think this is how to do it. Once you post a message, you can go over to the top right of YOUR message and open the "Mesage Options" Box. Scroll to the "Edit Message" option and you're there!

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                                                    Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                                    brickie

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

AH HAA! Now it works perfectly!
                                                    Thanks!

Check that, back to logging in every time!

Davydd

Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                                      Foodbme

mr chips

I think this is how to do it. Once you post a message, you can go over to the top right of YOUR message and open the "Mesage Options" Box. Scroll to the "Edit Message" option and you're there!

There is more to it than that. I've noticed that when you first write your message and place a photo from say Photobucket.com you can see the HTML img tags and the URL reference but when you go back to edit all you see is the photo in your edit window. Some other HTML code is also that way in the edit window as well. I did an accidental strikeout because I used [] instead of () to enclose an "s".  Not knowing that I didn't close the HTML code with /s and everything after the initial s was struck out including the person following that quoted my message. So, some strange things are going on with editing.

AHR

• Total Posts: 26
                                                        Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                                        Stephen Rushmore Jr.

A minor thing, but since the new logo appears everywhere: Were two of the four screwholes in the license plate logo deliberately misplaced?

Huh?

Look a little more carefully, and you'll see that the upper-left screwhole is too far to the right and the lower-right one is too low.  If this is to become the ubiquitous new Roadfood symbol, it might as well be correct.  It's the sort of thing that a professional designer would have noticed, which was why I asked whether it was intentional.
                                                        <message edited by AHR on Sat, 01/17/09 10:22 PM>

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                          Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 8:11 PM (permalink)
                                                          I too noticed something was out of kilter and at first I thought it might have just been an optical illusion. So, I grabbed an image of the Roadfood.com logo and examined it in Photoshop. The upper left, upper right and lower right are all in line with each other. The hole out of place is the lower left hole. It is too high and too far to the left. You only need to fix one hole.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                                            • Location: brick, NJ
                                                            Re:Roadfood.com Update Sat, 01/17/09 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                                            Well here we go again...who's fooling around...under my name,is "Quack Quack Quack"...can a moderator be doing this??? It's in bad taste,if they are????????? Explain please!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 111

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com