Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Visiting Main Street Ohio

Change Page: < 123456789 | Showing page 9 of 9, messages 241 to 256 of 256
wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Mon, 09/24/12 7:19 PM (permalink)
buffetbuster

M and I spent the weekend in Ohio, so I have some places to write about, which will happen tonight.  The highlight was lleechef and Michael Hoffman joining us at Crabill's for some delicious sliders. 

A full report to come.....

Ah! It's the two beauties and the beast

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
    Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Mon, 09/24/12 8:25 PM (permalink)
    Congratulations. You finally got something right.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Mon, 09/24/12 8:27 PM (permalink)
      Ann, I am mad. I'm seething inside because I didn't have room for more than four of Crabill's burgers and buffetrbuster was buying.

buffetbuster

Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Tue, 10/23/12 11:12 AM (permalink)
        We have made a couple of trips to and through Ohio in the past month and tried some really good new places.

In Wooster, just south of Akron, we visited Tulipan Hungarian Pastry and Coffee Shop.  They always have Hungarian Pork Goulash on the menu, so we tried a cup of that and a cup of Cauliflower w/ Chicken and Dumplings. 

Both of the soups had good flavor, but were on the thin side.  We wished they were a little heartier.  The items on the menu that had me excited was a crepes (palacsinta) that came with a chicken paprikash filling and paprikash sauce.  Unfortunately, our visit was late in the day and the young lady who waited on us (the owner's daughter), told us her mother took the last two home as dinner for her husband.  Bad timing!  We will be back if nothing else just for those. 

They had several cases of interesting pastries

I had never seen before and we bought things like ischlers (chocolate dipped sandwich cake with different fillings) and bishop's hat (papsapka), but the item we liked best was the Dobos Torte. 

This multi layered sponge cake was moist and had the hardest layer of caramel top I have ever encountered.  It was excellent and Mariton and I raced to see who could get more!

Tulipan is located in a charming downtown area.  We are looking forward to returning!

Tulipan Hungarian Pastry and Coffee Shop
        122 S. Market Street
        Wooster, OH
        330-264-8092  

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
          Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Tue, 10/23/12 11:18 AM (permalink)
          That's too bad that the soups were a little thin, but on the flip side it's still better than more body and less flavor!

buffetbuster

Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Tue, 10/23/12 1:24 PM (permalink)
            In the trip report that began this thread, I mentioned a drive-thru place in Bucyrus that caught my eye.  When I saw that our trip across US Rte. 30 would take us near "the bratwurst capitol of America", I knew a stop in was necessary.  The name of the place is Bratworks

and it is both a beer distributor and a brat purveyor.  Are you sure this isn't Wisconsin?  Anyway, we pulled in and was greeted warmly.  We got one brat, with brown mustard on a rye roll. 

Oh my goodness, was this good!  It was juicy, nicely seasoned and grilled perfectly.  They do make their own brats, though not on the premises.

The Bratworks
            574 S. Sandusky Avenue
            Bucyrus, OH
            419-562-9872

Also in town is Carle's Bratwurst, which I had previously visited and an intriguing place called Gus's Grill & Grog.  I looked at their menu and not only do they have brats, but they also have lake perch and what they call Waldo Bologna.  Has anyone been here before?  I'm thinking there is a good chance Michael Hoffman has eaten here.  Next time in town, this is where I am going. 
            <message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 10/23/12 1:26 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Tue, 10/23/12 1:48 PM (permalink)
              As we continued across US Rte. 30, when I saw the road signs for Van Wert, near the Indiana border, we got off the highway and headed into town.  That's because Van Wert is the home of a classic Roadfood spot, Balyeat's Coffee Shop.  What makes it such an interesting restaurant starts with the terrific neon sign. 

I have been here three times before, but they were always in the day, so this was the first time I could admire it at night.

Obviously, the chicken is the star of the menu.  But, they no longer fry the chicken, they pan fry it and then bake it.  It gives it a limp skin and juicy inside meat. 

It is different and it is good.  And the mashed potatoes on the side were real mashed potatoes.  Mariton wasn't too interested in eating again, until I pointed out they have chicken livers. 

That's all she needed to here and ate an order all by herself, calling them delicious.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that Balyeat's is well known for their pies, but since it was late, they were already sold out.  Disappointing, but I knew there was going to be plenty of great pie the next day in Indiana.

Balyeat's Coffee Shop
              133 E. Main Street
              Van Wert, OH
              419-238-1580 

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Tue, 10/23/12 1:52 PM (permalink)
                I'm really enjoying your report.That's funny about your great grandfather maybe being a mechanic for the Red Baron. Never been to the Air Museum in Dayton.It does have a family connection though.My dad was a flight crew chief and mechanic during WW2.The museum has some parts of the Lady Be Good, the famous
                376 Th Liberator  bomber. My dad knew the guys who were on it when she disappeared.In fact, I recall him saying he was  supposed to go on her, but there was some sort of change of plan, and he went on another plane.Daddy of course came back, but these guys never did. The museum is also supposed to be haunted.
                My mother made cabbage rolls, but never put saurkraut on hers.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Fri, 10/26/12 8:59 AM (permalink)
                  Yep, I've eaten at the Grill & Grog. Unfortunately, they don't have any real grog, which is a killer if you really need your hot rum and water.

buffetbuster

Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Fri, 10/26/12 9:06 AM (permalink)
                    Michael-
                    I'm guessing the food at GG&G is nothing special.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                      Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Fri, 10/26/12 10:25 AM (permalink)
                      Mariton and I will get along just fine-chicken livers! And those look fantastic!

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                        Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Fri, 10/26/12 10:50 AM (permalink)
                        wanderingjew

buffetbuster

M and I spent the weekend in Ohio, so I have some places to write about, which will happen tonight.  The highlight was lleechef and Michael Hoffman joining us at Crabill's for some delicious sliders. 

A full report to come.....

Ah! It's the two beauties and the beast

Pretty book ends, with a old classic in the middle. I'm just happy he didn't have mustard on his sleeve, Great job Lisa, he cleaned up well.......................

Michael Hoffman

Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Fri, 10/26/12 11:01 AM (permalink)
                          buffetbuster

Michael-
                          I'm guessing the food at GG&G is nothing special.

Nope. Nothing special. I was there during the Bratwurst Festival one year and of course I had a cheeseburger.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6230
                            Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Fri, 10/26/12 11:06 AM (permalink)
                            pnwchef
                            It isn't easy keeping a curmudgeon mustardless!

macaroni

• Total Posts: 11
                              Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Mon, 11/5/12 5:52 PM (permalink)
                              Love traveling and eating vicariously through your trip reports, buffetbuster! Thanks!

buffetbuster

Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio Mon, 11/5/12 6:48 PM (permalink)
                                macaroni-
                                Thanks so much for the kind words and welcome to Roadfood!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                  Change Page: < 123456789 | Showing page 9 of 9, messages 241 to 256 of 256

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com