The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Gibbys salad dressing

PizzaDr

• Total Posts: 1
Gibbys salad dressing Fri, 01/30/09 4:24 AM (permalink)

There use to be a restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Fl called Gibbys.   They had the best house dressing.     Matter of fact I think that was the only dressing they had.   It was a clear Italian dressing.   It was so good you could easily drink it.   Anyone familiar with it?   I'd love the recipe.  

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
    Re:Gibbys salad dressing Fri, 01/30/09 11:47 AM (permalink)
    Gibby's is no longer in business, perhaps you can contact the owner.

check out www.gibbysrestaurant.com

the website doesn't offer much help

pisces45

• Total Posts: 1
      Re:Gibbys salad dressing Wed, 01/2/13 4:31 AM (permalink)
      I just found this website and your post so I hope you still subscribe to this forum.  I remember Gibby's and I also miss that incredible salad dressing.  Their house dressing was not the only salad dressing that they had but it was the best.  The owner's name was Donald Hersh.  Unfortunately, he died in 2012 so I guess Gibby's will never reopen.  I found his obituary at   He does have children here in Florida - Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, etc.  I wish they would let the thousands of families that ate at Gibby's remember him forever by publishing the recipe for that salad dressing - I was thinking of trying to make contact with one of them about doing that but I'm afraid of intruding.  There are many restaurants in Florida but that salad dressing existed only at Gibby's.  When I retired to Florida I was looking forward to eating at Gibby's regularly.

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
        Re:Gibbys salad dressing Thu, 01/3/13 12:37 PM (permalink)
        I'd post a letter to the editor or a columnist of a newspaper in the Ft Lauderdale / Pompano Beach area asking the question.  I once needed to know something that died with my father 40 years ago and sent a letter to a 'remember when' columnist of the Staten Island Advance and he posed the question to the readership.  I had my answer is 2 days. 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
          Re:Gibbys salad dressing Thu, 01/3/13 12:49 PM (permalink)
          The question was asked/answered 20 years ago (not with a recipe)...

http://articles.sun-senti...llet-penne-asparagus/2

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
            Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sat, 01/5/13 12:56 PM (permalink)
            CCinNJ

The question was asked/answered 20 years ago (not with a recipe)...

http://articles.sun-senti...llet-penne-asparagus/2

Hard to believe that he didn't start out with a small batch. Heck all he had to do was give the ingredients, any decent cook could figure out how to make smaller batches.

CCinNJ

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sat, 01/5/13 1:17 PM (permalink)
              I don't think he wanted anyone to know or figure out the recipe. It drove plenty of business to Gibby's and not much benefit in sharing a recipe with customers or other restaurants.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 12:26 PM (permalink)
                It also could be that they were augumenting the dressing with a commercial product or unusual ingredient that would be embarassing to reveal or no longer available. How many signature sauces and dressings started out with an institutional base such as Cattleman's, used something very unusual or now considered unhealthy by today's standards, or used a spice company's proprietary blend for decades only to find the rug withdrawn when they quit making it due to lagging legacy sales, go out of business, or taken over by a conglomerate that sees no interest in continuing the product. Would you admit to using a food grade version of a bacterial culture medium as a thickener or the slime coats of a particular bacteria as a texturing agent even though additives like these are typical in processed foods ?

CCinNJ

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 1:39 PM (permalink)
                  The Cattleman's dressing recipe might come somewhat close to Gibby's....if the dairy was left out. If it was clear (and not an emulsion) the 16 or 17 day garlic/oil process + vinegar... and it might be that simple.

CCinNJ

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 1:53 PM (permalink)
                    Maybe a little anchovy paste...a pinch of sugar...various seasonings a spritz of lemon or lime juice and/or zest...as you wish.
                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 01/6/13 1:57 PM>

DawnT

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 4:12 PM (permalink)
                      You're probably right CC. Making a garlic,lemon zest,and spice infusion is probably part of the process. Rather then take days, I do mine on a candle/tart warmer to speed things up and get the spice/lemon zest oils soluble. The vinegar can be be infused with peppers as a hot vinegar brine and set up for a while to make a pepper vinegar or maybe it's vinegar brine from some pickled product they save. Maybe augumented as above too. They'll never tell.

The reason I mentioned Cattleman's is because there's many a BBQ joint's secret recipe sauce started with a jug(s) of the original base.

CCinNJ

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 4:20 PM (permalink)
                        Sorry....it's Cattlemen's with the dressing. This was a good segment of DD&D with the house dressing featured. I like your speed-up method Dawn!

DawnT

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 5:17 PM (permalink)
                          Interesting vid CC. The B&E reminded me of my dad. That was his favorite breakfast followed by SOS, sunnyside eggs and grits. Just mentioning the B&E would cause the girls to hurl. We'd do the eggs and grits for him, but that was the limit.

Something tells me this video is out of sequence and the part with the sachet and oil is the separate operation for 16 days.  Arrowroot flour/starch has historically been a mayo filler/extender since the depression days. So this is really a mayo made with garlic infused oil, milk, and cheddar cheese?

CCinNJ

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 5:42 PM (permalink)
                            I was happy to see the dressing but I was like wait...what? I didn't know if it was a little out of order ...or just me. After 45 years...a recipe out of a wallet with a handshake maybe Rosie was mixing it up a little bit.

A pepper brine is a great idea!

It may not be exactly like Gibby's (I will never know one way or the other) but it sounds like the makings of a nice dressing to me. Don't even have to wait a few weeks now either.

I love SOS!

CCinNJ

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 5:57 PM (permalink)
                              Here's one adapted version of Cattlemen's dressing...

http://www.mycookingspace...0Salad%20Dressing.html

DawnT

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 8:29 PM (permalink)
                                Somebody has better ears then I have. I listened to that vid several time on the dressing. The words mustard have been truncated by the editing when she said flour and it's yellow too. And I couldn't for the life of me make out the words half and half until I saw the recipe and listened again. Dry mustard is often part of regular mayo, so I was wrong on that one.

The brines from the condiments came from one of the places that I worked 40 years ago. Those Greeks didn't believe in throwing anything away. Every vegetable end, scraping, condiment brine, bones, sliced meat ends was saved and incorporated into something. One of the owner's wife would come in a few times a week. The cold salad plates were here thing. She'd take a few bottles of the oldest sub dressing that we'd put up by the boxfull in the walk-in and make a creamy blender dressing using the sub sauce, corn syrup, eggs, grated parm and romano,water,  brine from the cherry or pepperocini peppers and this foodservice, powdered thickening agent in batches. This stuff used to really foam up, but got mixed all together and put back in the walk-in. Incredible taste. All the ends from the sliced meat rounds were cubed and went into those salads plates Pure profit from 5lb bags of salad mix and some shredded cheddar. Amazing how these folks knew how to flip one end or leftover into another. Those brines from the pickles and olives found their way into everything.

CCinNJ

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                  Yep! I heard flour (always thinking it to be mustard powder not as mustard flour) and maybe still thinking about that during half & half time.

DD&D also has the say it & drop it and say it & drop it when it comes to put a recipe together. That moves it along and it flows well at times. When it goes that fast it's easy to miss something.
                                  <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 01/6/13 9:02 PM>

DawnT

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                    Regional I guess.  I always heard mustard powder and what it says on the boxes. My beloved raised in TN calls it mustard flour.  I guess like I've always called corn starch by that name, but some call it corn flour.

CCinNJ

Re:Gibbys salad dressing Sun, 01/6/13 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                      I've never heard mustard flour. I was looking at it the first time thinking....oh no Semolina???

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com