The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 63
Swamp

• Total Posts: 29
Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Thu, 06/18/09 8:50 PM (permalink)
In many states you need to have a "Wash area".   Many vendors get written permission from a local business to be able to wash their utensils at their facilities (regardless if they really would or not, they do get the written permission for the HD).  Some vendors also set up a folding table with an insulated beverage dispenser full of warm/hot water on top of it and a catch bucket underneath it.  This acts as their sink and works well especially when the cart will be stationary.  Bringing multiple scoopers and keeping them in ziplock bags help also.  Our carts have a stainless steel cup on the back in which you put water and hold your scooper and rinse your scooper in between servings.

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Thu, 06/18/09 8:54 PM (permalink)
    IceMan1969

After talking with a few people already operating Italian Ice Pushcarts I am very confident in the ability of a quality constructed cart to keep the Italian Ice at the proper temp over a long period of time. The cold plate cart can be plugged in over night and 2 people have told me from experience it will keep the Italian Ice past 12 hours, even longer. And the insulated carts without coldplate slightly less. Of course factors such as outdoor temperature and whether you have an umbrella shading the cart also factor in.

Your right on IceMan.   You really do not need coldplates.  Italian ice freezes harder than a plain ice cube.  It actually needs to warm up a bit to make it easier to serve.   Putting a bottle of room temp. water in with the italian ice in your cart will freeze that water quickly so long as the cart is well insulated.   If you have a quality cart without coldplates you can easily keep your Italian Ice at a good temp. for at least 8 hours.... but then again if you are in a good spot you should be running out of Ice and putting new buckets in your cart before that much time passes!

IceMan1969

• Total Posts: 35
      Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Fri, 06/19/09 10:13 AM (permalink)
      Hey Swamp what is your  email addy?  Would like to see a picture of your Italian Ice Cart and find out the specs. Thanks.......Neil in Florida........

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Fri, 06/19/09 11:39 AM (permalink)
        IceMan1969

Hey Swamp what is your  email addy?  Would like to see a picture of your Italian Ice Cart and find out the specs. Thanks.......Neil in Florida........

Neil,

You can reach me at info@kpsindustries.com  or at canadasino1@yahoo.com

Either one is fine and I can definitely show some pics.   We even do individual carts for personal name brand recognition (for example:  "Neil's Ice").    Also,  Where do you expect to get your product from?  Do you make your own ice or purchase it?

IceMan1969

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Fri, 06/19/09 11:44 AM (permalink)

Swamp right now I am up in the air as far as where I will be purchasing my Ice. I am looking into local distributors as well as national ones. We are still in the planning stages and probably won't be launching this until the fall at the earliest and possilbe next spring at the latest.

suem961

• Total Posts: 16
            Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Fri, 06/19/09 4:21 PM (permalink)
            Hi,

I realize now how much there is to consider after just beginning my research. I am in south Florida and am in the process of learning permit requirements thru the state Dept of AGr. and now the county.I am completely unfamiliar with all of it and am taking careful steps to make sure that I have all the correct info...a big feat in itself. I would love  any advice regarding the correct cart to purchase or the most cost effective approach to take. I have heard that Nelson carts are very good ,but it appears that would run me about $3000 . Please feel free to email me at suem961@comcast.net I would love your advice ,I have so much to learn .
            Thanks SUE

dare

• Total Posts: 2
              Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Sun, 07/26/09 1:52 AM (permalink)
              Another question for everyone.  I have been researching a way to receive italian via a freight truck.  I've checked with close to a half dozen cold storage places and they won't have anything to do with me unless I'm storing dozens of pallets with them.  How is everyone receiving there product?  and if by freight any suggestions?

IceMan1969

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Sun, 07/26/09 3:42 AM (permalink)
                Dare, how are you doing? I am in the planning stages of my italian ice business and have learned a lot of good information along the way. As far as the cold storage facilities my advice would be to keep calling and eventually one of them will rent out smaller spaces to accomodate your say 1 pallett of ice. I know in Florida where I am they rent out all different sizes for different space needs. Also do you have the option to maybe buy a chest freezer and use your garage or rent garage space out to store the Italian Ice? I know this is what I want to do eventually. The closer to home I can keep my equipment and product the better. Do you have a cart yet and do you know who you want to buy your Italian Ice from yet?  Take care.....Neil

dare

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Sun, 07/26/09 10:27 AM (permalink)
                  Neil,  I haven't purchased a cart...  yet..  I've looked at lil Jimmy's and another one (drawing a blank what it's called right now)  I'm all about buying 2 or 3 large chest freezers and storing everything myself..  My problem is simply figuring out how to get the product off a truck..  I've talked with about 4 cold storage places, and at least 6 different shippers and hardware stores, but I haven't found any yet who are willing to receive the product.  I came close with one hardware store but as soon as I said it's ice they immediatly said no way.  I think there worried about liability...?  I think my step is looking at self storage sites I don't know if they do receiving from trucks or not.  If not though I guess I'll look at local food distributors and see what they offer.  I'm in Indiana so I doubt there is a lot of choices though for italian ice.

Florida_Ice_Man

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Mon, 07/27/09 5:53 PM (permalink)
                    Hey everyone!

I'm new to this Forum...does anyone have a link to a place online that makes and sales those Italian Ice Umbrellas wholesale?

Thanks in advance!!

IceMan1969

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Mon, 07/27/09 6:10 PM (permalink)
                      Florida_Ice_Man

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this Forum...does anyone have a link to a place online that makes and sales those Italian Ice Umbrellas wholesale?

Thanks in advance!!

Where in Florida are you?  Just google "Italian Ice" push cart or cart umbrellas and you'll get hits. Also try places like craigs list in their "for sale" sections and search there. Also just about any company that manufactures carts will also usually sell umbrellas as well. Are you just in the planning stages so far?  Take care........Neil in Florida

Florida_Ice_Man

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Mon, 07/27/09 9:58 PM (permalink)
                        IceMan1969

Florida_Ice_Man

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance!!

Where in Florida are you?  Just google "Italian Ice" push cart or cart umbrellas and you'll get hits. Also try places like craigs list in their "for sale" sections and search there. Also just about any company that manufactures carts will also usually sell umbrellas as well. Are you just in the planning stages so far?  Take care........Neil in Florida

I'm over in Tampa, ya, I already did a Google search and I can't find a 2 tone that says Italian Ice on it, some of these are REALLY expensive!!
                        and yes just beginning...I think I'm going to be getting my Ices from Flava Shack, they are local and I don't have to go the Cold Storage route and also order more than I need.

Thanks!

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Sat, 08/1/09 9:14 PM (permalink)
                          Dare,

We have several vendors that order Italian Ice  from us and receive the Italian Ice directly at their home where they have a few large chest freezers.  We sell the ice in plastic 3 Gal. tubs and a pallet of these tubs can easily be unloaded by hand in a few minutes time doing it one or 2 tubs at a time.  A large (not largest, just large) chest freezer can fit 26 3 gal. buckets in them if that helps you.    If unloading it by hand is not an option for some reasone we can always send a truck with a lift gate that will drop off the pallet for you.  Distributors should be more flexible and either way it is not an issue to get the ice to you if you talk to the right people. 
                              Regarding your cart purchase.  These are the carts that we sell for Italian Ice.  They are $1500:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-il83GAtkoI

Ready2start

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Sat, 05/15/10 4:16 PM (permalink)
                            Hello all, I am ready to start an italian ice business in Miami, Fl. I was looking into purchasing the plan from Little Jimmy's that includes the cart, umbrella, signage, tshirts, hats, cups and 60 -5 gallon tubbs of product, however I am having trouble reaching a live person at the health dept to give me a little insight on what needs to be done. I am also having trouble finding a resonable cold storage warehouse to store the product. If you have any info that may help me get this show on the road before the start of summer please let me know!!!!!!

Ready2start

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Sat, 05/15/10 4:26 PM (permalink)
                              Hi Swamp, I am interested in seeing a picture of you cart as well. Can you send me an email with the picture and the dimentions to

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Thu, 05/20/10 2:05 AM (permalink)
                                [This post was marked as helpful]
                                Ready2start

Hello all, I am ready to start an italian ice business in Miami, Fl. I was looking into purchasing the plan from Little Jimmy's that includes the cart, umbrella, signage, tshirts, hats, cups and 60 -5 gallon tubbs of product, however I am having trouble reaching a live person at the health dept to give me a little insight on what needs to be done. I am also having trouble finding a resonable cold storage warehouse to store the product. If you have any info that may help me get this show on the road before the start of summer please let me know!!!!!!

I think that you may find that a lot of your money is wasted on some of these items.

You would do better to make your own signage.  The T-shirts and Hats are  not needed and do not add anything to your appearance or make you more noticeable.  The cups are not as good as simply purchasing your own styrofoam cups ( they hold up much better than the flimsy and SMALL paper cups).  The scooper is too small and you can find good ones for very cheap at Wal Mart that work great.  Going with these "packages" make you spend $thousands$ more than you need to in order to start up.

The carts/Umbrellas are also very expensive in comparison to actual cost.

You should research a bit before you commit to paying all of that out for a lot of stuff that you wont use at all.  I know, I did it when I started up and was very unhappy to learn that I wasted thousands that I didnt need to and never had use for much of it.   Many of our vendors started out by making the same mistake.  You would do much better for yourself to avoid the startup "packages".  They are a waste.

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Thu, 05/20/10 2:08 AM (permalink)
                                  Ready2start

Hi Swamp, I am interested in seeing a picture of you cart as well. Can you send me an email with the picture and the dimentions to

Sure! just look 3 posts above this one and click on the link so that you can view the carts!

<message edited by Swamp on Thu, 05/20/10 2:12 AM>

paul v

• Total Posts: 5
                                    Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Thu, 05/20/10 3:21 AM (permalink)
                                    Swamp,

I am brand new to this site and the thought of starting my own Italian Ice vending cart.  Although I have been in the restaurant business for years, I am willing and excited to take this route due to the working for myself deal.  At the moment I do not have anything up and running (cart, license, permits etc.).  If there is any advice such as where to start and how to, carts, what type of events and anything else you want to throw at me, please feel free, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
                                    Paul

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
                                      Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Thu, 05/20/10 11:13 PM (permalink)
                                      Swamp, caan you be more specific in the size of the chest freezer to store the 26 buckets of italian ice? And how many buckets come on a pallet?
                                      Thanks

JodyP

• Total Posts: 322
                                        Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Mon, 05/24/10 10:23 AM (permalink)
                                        I checked into the Italian ice a couple of years back.  Little Jimmy’s used to have a free down load booklet available. It explained all the particulars about the business. If I remember correctly there is a problem about storing the ice. Something about storing and serving at a certain temperature.  Also it has to be shipped to a cold storage facility. We are looking at putting a deposit down today on a 7’ x 14’ Horton Concession trailer and are seriously looking into a shaved ice machine and package from 1-800-SHAVEDICE. We figure that we can sell shaved ice, tropical drinks & hotdogs during the warmer weather months and switch over to coffees and hot drinks if we do any cold weather gigs.

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Tue, 05/25/10 12:47 AM (permalink)
                                          The issue with them is that they send 60 per pallet and if you don't have the chest freezers on hand to handle that amount then you need to find a cold storage somewhere, whether it be a cold storage warehouse or a local grocery store or restaraunt that allows you to store in their facility.
                                             When I started I found a locally owned grocery store that allowed me to do it for $30 per month.
                                          Italian Ice has no dairy, there is no temperature issues like ice cream as to what it needs to be served at or anything like that.
                                              I would think that Italian Ice would be much more simple to vend than shaved ice and I guarantee it is MUCH more popular and sells better than shaved ice.  On top of that, with a cart you are mobile and can be much more dynamic from event to event or location to location.

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Tue, 05/25/10 12:48 AM (permalink)
                                            FriedTater

Swamp, caan you be more specific in the size of the chest freezer to store the 26 buckets of italian ice? And how many buckets come on a pallet?
                                            Thanks

I have emailed you FriedTater :)

For reference, however, we ship to your home or to a business or to a cold storage warehouse... whatever you prefer.   Our pallets can have as many as 80 buckets on them but we will ship you as many or as few as YOU need.  Everybody has different budgets and different storage capacity so we are willing to send as many as you want and we don't have minimum order requirements.
                                            <message edited by Swamp on Tue, 05/25/10 12:51 AM>

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Tue, 05/25/10 12:58 AM (permalink)
                                              paul v

Swamp,

I am brand new to this site and the thought of starting my own Italian Ice vending cart.  Although I have been in the restaurant business for years, I am willing and excited to take this route due to the working for myself deal.  At the moment I do not have anything up and running (cart, license, permits etc.).  If there is any advice such as where to start and how to, carts, what type of events and anything else you want to throw at me, please feel free, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
                                              Paul

I have a TON of advice for you lol.   I will PM you my information so as not to write a novel on the board here.

The number one advice I have is to not over pay to get started.   You shouldnt have to pay more than around $3000 for EVERYTHING to start.  if  you are paying much more than that then  you are very much overpaying.   It should be under $3000 to have what you need to start.    Be frugal and don't buy a bunch of things that you don't need or before you need them. The idea is to make money, not spend it :)  I look fwd to speaking with you Paul.

_TR_

• Total Posts: 26
                                                Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Thu, 05/27/10 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                Swamp

paul v

Swamp,

Thanks,
                                                Paul

I have a TON of advice for you lol.   I will PM you my information so as not to write a novel on the board here.

The number one advice I have is to not over pay to get started.   You shouldnt have to pay more than around $3000 for EVERYTHING to start.  if  you are paying much more than that then  you are very much overpaying.   It should be under $3000 to have what you need to start.    Be frugal and don't buy a bunch of things that you don't need or before you need them. The idea is to make money, not spend it :)  I look fwd to speaking with you Paul.

Swamp, I would appreciate it if you could send me your Italian Ice info. Thanks!

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
                                                  • Location: Badlands of New Mexico
                                                  Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Thu, 05/27/10 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                                  Swamp, thanks for the e-mail. Still investigating this. Trying to downsize. The information and our chat on the phone was great.

Swamp

Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Fri, 05/28/10 12:00 AM (permalink)
                                                    FriedTater

Swamp, thanks for the e-mail. Still investigating this. Trying to downsize. The information and our chat on the phone was great.

Thanks!  It was great speaking with you also and I hope that we do again.

olddude2

• Total Posts: 716
                                                      • Location: panama city, FL
                                                      Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Sat, 05/29/10 8:02 AM (permalink)
                                                      selling any thing from a cart in Florida other then boiled peanuts, or uncut whole fruit, requires a commissary, there are 3 regulatory agencies in Florida, you must check with all 3 . the AG dept. the HD dept, and the dept. of bis and pro regulations.
                                                       in some areas where your inspector is your friend and neighbor, sure you can skip some steps. but to be legal you need to pay attention to the above.

JaysItalianIce

• Total Posts: 1
                                                        • Location: land o lakes, FL
                                                        Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Mon, 05/31/10 6:19 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hello everyone, I'm starting to sell Italian Ice here in FL. Can anyone from FL selling Ice give my info on there license and inspection requirements. Thanks Jay

ice4u

• Total Posts: 1
                                                          • Location: Freehold, NJ
                                                          Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Tue, 06/29/10 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          Try Scara's Italian Ice. They have a great selection of flavors and they are very helpful. You can also order carts.

iceyhot

• Total Posts: 8
                                                            • Location: jersey city, NJ
                                                            Re:Italian Ice Pushcart Biz, anyone else out there? Tue, 08/10/10 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                                            does anyone have any prefrences on italian ice carts. personally some of them seemed way over priced. i like little jimmys but theeir packages are to expensive. Penguinn ice is good ice but horrible customer service do not buy a cart from them. I seen nelson carts but again on the high end. does anyone have any suggestions

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com