The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Anyone remember Bond bread?

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 12/6/03 11:25 AM (permalink)
Guess it's been out of existance for some time now, but what I remember most nostalgically about Bond bread was their Cinnamon Streusel swirl bread. This was the most delicious bread toasted--it was similar to the current Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread, except that it had a streusel topping. I don't think I've ever seen another commercially produced cinnamon-swirl bread like it. I've been making do with the Pepperidge Farm brand -- it's good, but I really would like to have that streusel topping.

Roy

• Total Posts: 131
    RE: Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 12/6/03 1:59 PM (permalink)
    I think Bond Bread went the way of Hopalong Cassidy for whom it was the prime sponsor.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
      RE: Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 12/6/03 8:58 PM (permalink)
      Years ago on South Street in Philly, I picked up a turquoise bowling shirt in a thrift shop for about 50 cents. On the back it says "Bond B Local #6" with the bakery union logo in the middle. Says "Jim" in nice cursive embroidery on the breast pocket. I bet someone would pay a pretty penny for this piece of Bond Bread nostalgia!

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
        RE: Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 12/6/03 9:48 PM (permalink)
        I only remember seeing a tv ad ca. 1964 designed to play on the James Bond mania of the time.

Allan Dash

• Total Posts: 1
          Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sun, 02/6/11 9:41 AM (permalink)
          For more than a decade (the early '40s through the mid '50s, I think), the "bread man" came to our front door in suburban Philadelphia. He got out of his truck with "Bond" emblazoned on the side and strode cheerfully up the front walk, toting his big container brimming with tempting baked goods. A growing boy, I usually managed to be standing next to Mom so that I could make my regular plea for Bond Bridge Cookies. Created to appeal to ladies who entertained their bridge clubs, these shortbread-type confections came in the shapes of hearts, spades, diamonds and clubs. I had no idea what "bridge" was, but I knew what "good" was and I loved those cookies -- especially when dunked in a cup of Nana's freshly-brewed tea. I can sit here, 60 years later, and remember exactly what Bridge Cookies tasted like. And I can still see Mom and Nana, sitting and dunking with me at the kitchen table of my childhood. What a wonderful memory!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17819
            Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sun, 02/6/11 10:06 AM (permalink)
            Bond Bread was the staple in my house when I was growing up. Oh, sure, occasionally there'd be Silvercup, but the standard white bread at home was Bond.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
              Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sun, 02/6/11 10:26 AM (permalink)
              yes.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Fri, 02/11/11 10:42 PM (permalink)
                One thing I remember about Bond is that it disappeared from the NYC metro area about 1972. There was a bakery on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, as well as many others around the country. But on a roadtrip sometimes later during the 70's. I still found it for sale in another state (can't remember which). Bond was not as good as Silvercup bread, IMHO.

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                  Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/12/11 1:08 AM (permalink)
                  This was our brand. Thin sliced, but not as dry as Arnold or Pepperidge Farm. Wish it was still made. My father didn't allow "Sponge Bread", especially Wonder...

http://www.flickr.com/pho..60585948@N00/528861679/

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                    Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/12/11 8:56 AM (permalink)
                    My Mother always said----Bond is the best, those other breads have air blown into them or something---see all the air pockets---Bond has more bread, less air. 

I switched to Silver Cup when my best friend went to work for them,
                    he would never blow hot air into a loaf of bread.  He saved all his hot air for whispering in girl's ears.  Besides, they sponsored the Lone Ranger.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                      Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/12/11 9:52 AM (permalink)
                      I remember the Bond Bakery along Rising Sun Ave.

dimmie2

• Total Posts: 238
                        Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/12/11 12:17 PM (permalink)
                        Never heard of Bond bread.  I grew up on Mrs. Baird's bread and it's still going strong over 100 yrs. later.

MacTAC

Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/12/11 12:23 PM (permalink)
                          Another (local?) brand I remember was Taystee.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                            Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/12/11 9:44 PM (permalink)
                            MacTAC

Another (local?) brand I remember was Taystee.

It was baked in Queens until Stroehmanns shut down the plant opposite the NY World's Fairgrounds  and moved production to Horsham, PA. Right now Bimbo Bakeries of Mexico owns the trademark and bakeries in the midwest bake it as a zombie brand.
                            I don't know if they still sell any products under the Taystee brand in the NY Metro area. The last time I saw Taystee products, they were all products aimed at the Hispanic market. IIRC, Stroehmann's took over Taystee 's shelf space.

MacTAC

Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/12/11 11:31 PM (permalink)
                              Interesting. I just assumed they were no more.

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                                Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Wed, 02/16/11 10:31 PM (permalink)
                                Read General Baking company history.  They are still around
                                today as General Host:
                                http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/General-Host-Corporation-Company-History.html
                                <message edited by sonjaab on Wed, 02/16/11 10:34 PM>

MacTAC

Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/19/11 7:47 AM (permalink)
                                  Anyone remember Tip Top bread?

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                    Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/19/11 9:09 AM (permalink)
                                    Bond bread...didn't Hopalong Cassidy eat that???.....how about Silvercup...the old factory is now a movie studio.....I guess Wonder bread(Howdy Doody's favorite )is all that's left!!!
                                    Does anyone remember the high quality brand the wonder people put out in the 50's-60's called Dafodil Farms..iot was like Pepperidge farm or Arnold. It was delicious!!!!

MacTAC

Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/19/11 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                      leethebard

Does anyone remember the high quality brand the wonder people put out in the 50's-60's called Dafodil Farms..iot was like Pepperidge farm or Arnold. It was delicious!!!!
                                      Hey leethebard -- Check the link I posted earlier in the thread!

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                                        Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Wed, 03/2/11 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                        There used to be a big Tip-Top bakery in Syracuse.  Not
                                        sure when the brand disappeared in our area.  I Believe
                                        tip-top is still avail. in other countries.  Tip-Top was owned by Ward baking Co. and is now owned by G. Weston bakeries.
                                        A div. of Loblaws supermarkets from Canada.  (Think Freihoffers, Holsum, Entemenns and others).

http://www.wardbakingcompany.com/

POLYSTOTLE

Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 01/5/13 1:53 PM (permalink)
                                          I have a good, little story about Bond Bread.  In the late 80's I picked up this door at an auction in Salisbury CT, dragged it around for years, propped it against many an apartment wall, and then settled in Clinton HIll, Brooklyn (for a spell), where I found out the Bond Bread factory was once right around the corner.  I now live in Philadelphia and have discovered the owner of Bond Bread Philadelphia was a certain Charles Kolb, who used to live right around the corner in the early 1900's.  This sweet Bond Bread door now happily hangs in a custom frame on my barn.  BUT DARN, I cannot upload the picture bc/its too big.  

BrooklynBill

• Total Posts: 187
                                            Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Fri, 01/18/13 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                            In the late 40’s, on a hot summer night, my family drove down Flatbush Ave. It was way after midnight and the bakeries were in full operation at that early hour. There was little air-conditioning so their windows were all wide open. I remember passing Bond, Tip-Top and, I think Silver Cup. To my surprise and disappointment those three staples of bread making smelled like curing varnish.
                                            Finally we passed Ebinger’s. This Brooklyn bread smelled delicious, like it was coming from grandma’s kitchen. I then resolved to try to appreciate Ebinger’s bread even though I still favored the softer first three brands.
                                            Bill

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                                              Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Fri, 01/18/13 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                              Only remember Ebingers 7 layer cake.....  not bread.

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                                                Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Mon, 01/21/13 3:38 PM (permalink)
                                                MacTAC

This was our brand. Thin sliced, but not as dry as Arnold or Pepperidge Farm. Wish it was still made. My father didn't allow "Sponge Bread", especially Wonder....

My father called it cotton batting bread.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                                  Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Fri, 01/25/13 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                                  jaylhorner

Only remember Ebingers 7 layer cake.....  not bread.

Blackout cake! Othellos!

Bart

Erampu

• Total Posts: 6
                                                    Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/23/13 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                                    Sure do!  We had a Bond bakery a few short blocks from the house, and when they were baking bread the whole area smelled great! 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17819
                                                      Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Sat, 02/23/13 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      MacTAC

Anyone remember Tip Top bread?

Oh, sure. I remember Tip Top.

MacTAC

• Location: Long Island, NY
                                                        Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Tue, 02/26/13 9:00 AM (permalink)
                                                        Tip Top sponsored a (local NY?) noontime kid's show for a couple of years, starting in 1953. The host was Corny the Clown played by Bob Keeshan, who was also the original Clarabelle of Howdy Doody fame and later, Captain Kangaroo. It took place in a park with Corny on a bench and would feature his Tip Top lunch, a sandwich on Tip Top bread, a glass of milk and a Tip Top baked dessert. A couple of cartoons and Corny's tribulations with a water fountain that always stopped working when he tried to take a drink...

ColePey

• Location: Pknca City, OK
                                                          Re:Anyone remember Bond bread? Mon, 01/27/14 1:47 AM (permalink)
                                                          My dad worked for them in Wichita for 47 years. They shut Wichita plant down in late 1969 and they transferred to Oklahoma where they were bankrupt in 2 years. The bakery has some of my best memories!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com