The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia

phlmaestro

Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Mon, 06/8/09 4:20 PM (permalink)
A new place called simply, Oyster House, has opened in the location of the old Sansom Street Oyster House in Center City Philly. I just checked out their menu on menupages and they appear to serve fried whole belly clams. I've only had them a few times in New England, and not recently, so I may not be the best judge of quality, but if they're the real thing, it would be nice to have them so close to home.

The menu lists them as Fried Ipswich Clams full bellies.
<message edited by phlmaestro on Mon, 06/8/09 4:25 PM>

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
    Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Mon, 06/8/09 4:31 PM (permalink)
    any prices or does it just say mkt. price

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Mon, 06/8/09 4:35 PM (permalink)
      The menu that was posted didn't have any prices at all. The clams are listed as an appetizer or small plate.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
        Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Tue, 06/9/09 7:43 AM (permalink)
        Wonder if they'll have Nodding Head beer from upstairs?  A nice IPA with fried clams could be in my future...

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
          Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Tue, 06/9/09 8:40 AM (permalink)

They'll be fine. Even in New England, they use fresh, pre-shucked belly clams from a can.

mark

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
            Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Tue, 06/9/09 8:51 AM (permalink)

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
              Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Tue, 06/9/09 3:30 PM (permalink)
              All i can say is.....................YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Thanks! My daughter lives about 6 blocks away.  Time Ole Dad gets into the city instead of feeding her out here alternate Sundays.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Fri, 12/25/09 2:14 PM (permalink)
                Here it is almost 6 months later and I'm reading about this. I didn't even know they changed hands. Edit: Just went on to their site and I see it's back in the hands of the Mink family. That's good! Sansom St. Oyster House was around for years and I always enjoyed it back in the 70s and 80s, but hadn't eaten there in years. I'm going to check it out! My man is a big fish and seafood eater, too.
                <message edited by harriet1954 on Fri, 12/25/09 2:16 PM>

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Fri, 12/25/09 5:16 PM (permalink)
                  I just checked out their menu on-line and it doesn't appear that they're offering fried clams any longer; unless it's as an unlisted special. I had them there once, probably not too long after I started this thread. I wasn't that impressed with the fried clams. There were a couple decent-sized ones in my order, but most of them were considerably smaller than the ones I've had in Connecticut.

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Mon, 11/14/11 11:53 AM (permalink)
                    I'm bringing this thread back because Stephen Starr (if you're from the Philly region, you know who he is) is opening a new seafood restaurant called Route 6 that will apparently have a New England theme and will include whole bellies on the menu. Here is a photo of them from part of a slide show on a local web site. They certainly look good: http://philadelphia.grubstreet.com/2011/11/slideshow-stephen-starr-route-six.html#photo=8x00009

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                      Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Mon, 11/14/11 1:26 PM (permalink)
                      Stop it. You're killing me. I live in Dallas! Boo, hoo.
                      Oh well, WE have, fried catfish.

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Mon, 11/14/11 5:03 PM (permalink)
                        Twinwillow

Hey. If I lived as close to all of that smoked brisket as you do, I'd probably count my blessings!

<message edited by phlmaestro on Mon, 11/14/11 5:07 PM>

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                          Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Mon, 11/14/11 5:26 PM (permalink)
                          phlmaestro

Twinwillow

Hey. If I lived as close to all of that smoked brisket as you do, I'd probably count my blessings!

Believe me, I do. I do. Guess I can't have it all.

FriedClamFanatic

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Sat, 11/19/11 10:30 AM (permalink)
                            Thanks for the info! Will DEFINITELY give them a try!.Johhny Cakes too........YUM!

oh..and the address is:

Route 6, 600 North Broad Street, 215-391-4600

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Mon, 11/21/11 2:21 PM (permalink)
                              Now that's a combination plate I have never thought of before...
                              Whole-Belly Clams from Ipswich sharing a platter with some good Brisket BBQ (and maybe a couple of Pork Ribs) from Black's BBQ  in Lockhart, TX.  Beverage would be Sweet Tea with a lot of lemon (an Arnold Palmer) Please.
                                 Now if we can just get our Startrek transporter beam working we can get the ingredients on our platter while the clams are still crunchy and hot and the brisket  has that warm, butter-soft consistency that only lasts a few minutes after slicing.

Y U M !!!

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams in Philadelphia Fri, 12/30/11 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                I had dinner at Oyster House on Sansom Street tonight. I started with the fried whole belly clams. I thought the quality of the clams was very good in terms of both flavor and size. But they weren't fried as well as they should have been. There was too much grease and they weren't crispy.
                                But the lobster roll I had after the clams was really fantastic; with lots of cold, sweet lobster meat and a little mayo and celery on a perfectly toasted New England-style hot dog bun. It was a sandwich that would hold up just fine in New England. Although it doesn't come cheap (it does come with excellent fries though).

clamme

• Total Posts: 1
                                  Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Mon, 06/24/13 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                  I used to live in West Chester and will out there in July.  Where is this restaurant and the name?
                                  Steven Young

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Mon, 06/24/13 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                    Oyster House is on the 1500 block of Sansom Street in the Center City (downtown) section of Philadelphia.
                                    I'm due for a meal there myself.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2233
                                      Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Mon, 06/24/13 5:54 PM (permalink)

Edit Message
                                      RE: Fried Clams Sat, 06/15/13 7:14 PM (permalink)

The Oyster House in Philly, small plate Ipswich fried clams, New England Lobster roll with fresh cut French fries. That's all I needed, I would return........pnwc

FriedClamFanatic

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Mon, 06/24/13 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                        clamme

I used to live in West Chester and will out there in July.  Where is this restaurant and the name?
                                        Steven Young

There are currently 2 places I know of....and can recommend both. The Sansome St. Oysterhouse that phlmastro mentioned.  It's on lol.Sansome Street.about the 1800 block.  lots of parking garages.

The other..in the King of Prussia Mall......is Legal Seafood. Admittedly a chain. but seems to be consistently good..........they also have a branch in the PHL airport.......my wife who grew up in Maine adores their lobster rolls.  I....um......well you can imagine what I get!

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Fri, 06/28/13 11:53 PM (permalink)
                                          There are a couple other places as well. Route 6 on North Broad Street, a little north of Center City, has them, as does a new place called Pennsylvania 6 on 12th Street in Center City. I just was checking out their menu online for the first time and noticed the fried Ipswich clams on there.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                                            Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Sat, 06/29/13 7:50 AM (permalink)
                                            Out in West Chester is Doc Magrogan's Oyster House.  Haven't been there in a couple years but they had good seafood and some craft beers. 

Oyster House on Sansom St. is very good.  Matter of fact going there again today.

Got back a couple hours ago.  Clam  roll with whole clams, grilled top split roll.  Delicious.  Started with a dozen oysters and Bloody Mary with Clamato.  My wife had Lobster Benedict and my son a shrimp roll.  Our second time at the Oyster House, and it was once again fantastic.
                                            <message edited by RC51Mike on Sat, 06/29/13 7:16 PM>

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Thu, 12/19/13 3:41 PM (permalink)
                                              I tried Pennsylvania 6 on S. 12th St. in Center City today for the first time and man was I impressed!
                                              I'd say the fried Ipswich clams were the best I've had in this area. The clams were a nice size, but not huge, and they were fried perfectly, with no excess grease.

The lobster roll was also excellent. There may have been just a tad less meat than you get in an Oyster House lobster roll, but there was still plenty in there, with just a little mayo. The New England style bun was toasted perfectly and had a nice, buttery taste to it. The roll came with very good duck-fat fries.

It wasn't a cheap meal. The clams were $15 and the portion could have been a little bigger. The lobster roll was the standard $26 you pay for a lobster roll at a high quality Center City restaurant.

By the way, I was at Oyster House a couple weeks ago. While I loved my lobster roll, I was disappointed to see that it now comes with chips instead of their outstanding fries. I wonder if that was just a lunch-time thing. The only other time I had a lobster roll there, it was dinner time, and it came with fries. The price is the same though, so I'm guessing they just switched from fries to chips.

FriedClamFanatic

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Thu, 12/19/13 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                                I'll have to try Pennsylvania 6.the Oyster House is still my go-to, and is also wife-approved!

phlmaestro

Re:Fried Whole Belly Clams Thu, 12/19/13 10:27 PM (permalink)
                                                  PA 6 isn't a straight seafood restaurant like Oyster House. It's got a very mixed menu.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com