The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out.

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 11, messages 271 to 300 of 316
ChiTownDiner

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Wed, 09/9/09 9:37 AM (permalink)
It still amazes me to see the amount consumed...

Hey Buddy - I'll take a copy of the recipe!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Thu, 09/10/09 2:29 PM (permalink)
    Brad_Olson
    I think I'll spend some time today finding Wisconsin's best high-fiber cereal.
    How about Wisconsin's best blue jean letter outer or belt?

Brad_Olson
    Many, many thanks to the JRPfeffs for hosting and cooking, CSD for bringing and grilling some Vienna Beef treats (I think I might be visiting Woodman's very soon to get ahold of some VB jalapeno-cheddar dogs), everyone who contributed brats, and all the others who brought side dishes and beverages or even just showed up with a willingness to put themselves through the contest.  Abe_Froeman and Mr. Maki brought some garlic polish-style hot dogs that looked really good but unfortunately they never made it to the grill; I think that might've been the only disappointment of the day.

Brad
    I'll second (if not more) all of those.

Big Ugly Mich

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Thu, 09/10/09 2:42 PM (permalink)
      Foodbme
      He's [Butkus] not a "Knarled Old Tough Weiner"--- He's a "Knarled Old Tough WINNER!"
      He never won a HALAS trophy, much less a LOMBARDI trophy.

<message edited by Big Ugly Mich on Thu, 09/10/09 2:48 PM>

Big Ugly Mich

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Thu, 09/10/09 2:51 PM (permalink)
        ChiTownDiner
        How about this one? Just substitute BRATS for ITALIAN SAUSAGE and you're golden. http://www.aldimeals.com/recipes/18038

Big Ugly Mich

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Thu, 09/10/09 3:09 PM (permalink)
          JRPfeff
          Ream's bratwurst held a special distinction in yesterday's contest.  Of the 30 different competitors, Ream's was the only bratwurst to receive 0 votes. ZERO!  A complete shutout.
          That's true. I actually was the lone vote for one of the chicken brats, possibly because I was bratted out (possibly, not likely). However, comma, before we get too hard on our neighbors to the sout', don't forget that Aldi's US headquarters is in Batavia, Illinois, and their brat showed us all something.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2367
            Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Thu, 09/10/09 9:05 PM (permalink)
            Big Ugly Mich

... However, comma, before we get too hard on our neighbors to the sout', don't forget that Aldi's US headquarters is in Batavia, Illinois, and their brat showed us all something.

I was afraid someone would bring that up.  We can hold out hope that ALDI contracts their brats to a Wisconsin sausagemaker.

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
              Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Thu, 09/10/09 9:21 PM (permalink)
              Well, dagnabbit, looks like you all went ahead and had fun without ol' quijote around! I knew I would kick myself for leaving town last weekend, and from the reports and pictures here, the friend I visited owes me BIG TIME.  I dunno where in Milwaukee to get my paws on some Schwai's brats, but will do some searchin' and askin' around to that effect. And Aldi's!  Well, who'da thunk it. Not even Trader Joe's, but good ol' Aldi's!

I didn't hear a single mention (ahem, ahem) of those Buffalo brats.... I guess those folks on Lake Erie don't quite "get it."  I figured those brats would be ringers, or since they're from Buffalo--"wingers."

Hats off to all of youze for eating your way through that amazing event, and special kudos to Bobbi and Jim for putting it all together! I couldn't be there, but I'm glad there are photos to view!

Q

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Thu, 09/10/09 9:22 PM (permalink)
                And by the way, Buddy, please send me that Potato Salad recipe. It looks too good not to make!

JRPfeff

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Fri, 09/11/09 6:01 PM (permalink)
                  I cooked a variety of leftover brats for the electricians and laborers on my project today.  Included in the mix were the brats from Ream's and several others that didn't make it out of the first round.

Several people said that the brats were really good (must be the cook!).  I mixed them all together, so we couldn't tell which brat was which, but I think I had a Ream's and thought it was an excellent bratwurst.

JRPfeff

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Sun, 09/13/09 10:27 AM (permalink)

If there is a 'next time' we'll have plenty of parking across the road.

Yesterday was Dozer Day and parking was right across the street from my house.  There's nothing quite like having 10,000 or so people driving past your house in one day.  I had some fun with their parking sign.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Sun, 09/13/09 11:18 AM (permalink)
                      Big Ugly Mich

ChiTownDiner
                      How about this one? Just substitute BRATS for ITALIAN SAUSAGE and you're golden. http://www.aldimeals.com/recipes/18038

Mighty fine...a popular dinner choice in our house!  Thanks!

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                        Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Sun, 09/13/09 1:09 PM (permalink)
                        I'm told there is another, somewhat cooler Schwai's location, and it is indeed  in Buddy's beloved Fredonia. My directions were not very precise but I'm told to take I-43N to where you can exit on Hwy 57 going towards Kohler. Just a short journey off of I-43 heading north on 57 you will find County H and thus:
                        Schwai's
                        W3940 County Highway H
                        Fredonia, WI 53021-9784 (262) 692-2731
                        If anyone journeys there, try both their summers and beef sticks. I found that they suit me to a T and you might like them too. They also sell a type of blood sausage, unknown to me, that I may try some day.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                          Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Mon, 09/14/09 11:43 AM (permalink)
                          So you're saying the winning brat came from a chain?!?!?

Oh, the horror!

Brad

JRPfeff

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Mon, 09/14/09 8:02 PM (permalink)
                            I got really, really good news today.  ALDI's Roseland Bratwurst are produced in Wisconsin by the Klement Sausage Company!! 

Was there ever a doubt that those were Cheesehead brats?

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                              Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Mon, 09/14/09 8:59 PM (permalink)
                              I'm glad to hear it.

Interesting that Klement's brand didn't make it to the Final Four (I think??), then.

JRPfeff

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Mon, 09/14/09 9:44 PM (permalink)
                                Klement's won their first round match, then lost in the second round to (drum roll) Roseland.  Roseland shut them out.

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 162
                                  Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Tue, 09/15/09 2:01 AM (permalink)
                                  So... does Klement simply repackage their current product as Roseland, or does Klement have a different recipe for the product that is sold as Roseland?

MilwFoodlovers

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Tue, 09/15/09 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                    I shop frequently at the Klement factory store and they do contract sausage making for a number of well known companies. The hot dogs in particular vary widely in taste so I suspect the customers supply the formula and they just make them to their specs. Some summer sausages just have a house label slapped on a generic product.  My guess is Aldi's specified the seasonings and fat content for their house brand.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                      Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Tue, 09/15/09 10:14 AM (permalink)
                                      I made  Mrs. JRPfeff's  amazing German potato salad last night and it was awesome!  This is different than any other German potato salad that I have ever eaten and I will never make any other kind again.  Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                        • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Tue, 09/15/09 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                        OK I've lost track of who is the contact for a Potato Salad Recipe Request.

Whomever, Please forward a copy to me when you have a minute!
                                        Thanks,  AL

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                          Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Tue, 09/15/09 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                          Greymo - I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe.  We had leftovers put away from the brat party for the next day.  My son discovered that he likes German Potato Salad that day and ate it all before we got up the next morning.

The recipe is from Cuisine at Home.  We get a lot of really good recipes from that magazine.

Al - The recipe is at this link.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                            Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Tue, 09/15/09 8:48 PM (permalink)
                                            Thank you JRP!  You just made my life a bit easier.

Buddy

KingT

• Total Posts: 75
                                              Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Tue, 09/15/09 9:55 PM (permalink)
                                              Anyone on this thread tried Country Meats in Lake Geneva? I think they are some of the best. Ive had alot from the spots of the area and these were just great on every level.

MilwFoodlovers

Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Wed, 09/16/09 7:01 AM (permalink)
                                                Hey King T, thanks for the link as I love the site. I especially loved the article on Cafe Trinidad Mrs MFL and I were regulars at Horace and Rita's West Indies Inn in Milwaukee before they closed at least a decade ago. I've had roti in Jamaica but it not even close to that made by a Trini, which is what Horace and Rita were. I can't wait until I have time to explore this fascinating food blog more.
                                                Mmm, oxtails!

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
                                                  Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Wed, 09/16/09 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                                  I took the liberty of re-typing the German Potato Salad recipe, so it's text instead of an image.  If anyone notices any errors, let me know.

CORRECTED:

German Potato Salad
                                                  From Cuisine, July/August 1997

Makes 8 cups
                                                  Work Time: 45 mins.
                                                  Cooking Time: 30 mins.

24 red potatoes, skin on, sliced 1/2” thick
                                                  3 T olive oil
                                                  1 T kosher salt
                                                  2 t black pepper
                                                  2 T cider vinegar

Dressing:
                                                  ½ lb bacon, diced
                                                  ¼ C bacon fat
                                                  1 C onion, diced
                                                  1 T flour
                                                  ½ C cider vinegar
                                                  ¼ C beef broth
                                                  2 T light brown sugar

Sprinkle on at the end:
                                                  1/3 C chopped green onions (green part only)
                                                  Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat broiler on high.  Place oven rack 4” from heat source. 

Toss potato slices with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Place the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Broil potatoes for 10 minutes, then flip them with tongs and broil for another 5 minutes.  They should be crisp outside and tender inside.

Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.  Stir in the cider vinegar.  Cover the bowl with foil to keep the potatoes warm and set aside.

For the dressing:

Cook the chopped bacon; when it foams, it’s perfect.  Drain the fat, reserving ¼ C of it.  Set the bacon aside.

Return the bacon fat to the pan and sauté the chopped onions until caramelized.  Stir in the flour to thicken it, about 2 mins.  Whisk in the
                                                  1/2 C cider vinegar, the broth and brown sugar. 

When the dressing is thick (like honey), return the bacon to the pan.  Simmer and stir for 1-2 minutes.  Pour the dressing over the potatoes in the bowl. 

Add green onions, and salt and pepper to taste.  Toss gently and serve at room temperature. 

<message edited by abe_froeman on Wed, 09/16/09 5:42 PM>

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                                    • Location: Marriottsville, MD
                                                    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Wed, 09/16/09 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                                    It actually calls for 24 potatoes but I am sure that there is enough dressing for an extra one!

The first amount of vinegar should be  2 T. which are mixed into the potatoes upon removing from oven.

The other vinegar,  maybe,  in directions part should read to stir in the 1/2 cup of vinegar.  I think that would make it more plain to the cook,

You did a great job copying this down for us and I am sure that it will  be much appreciated by those who use it.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                                                      Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Wed, 09/16/09 3:24 PM (permalink)
                                                      Hmmm...perhaps the Smoke Day 2010 variant could use potatoes that've been grilled instead of broiled.

Brad

MilwFoodlovers

• Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                        Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Wed, 09/16/09 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                                        Certainly that was the best German potato salad either of us had ever tasted.
                                                        Thanks "abe" for the transcription.

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
                                                          • Location: Chicago, IL
                                                          Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Wed, 09/16/09 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                                          Those corrections have now been made- thanks for catching them!

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 162
                                                            • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                            Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. Wed, 09/16/09 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks JRP and abe, I've saved that recipe (but I won't tell my doc :} Can't pass it up with all the people saying "best ever tasted" and I love the idea of browning the potatoes first. Doesn't look like too much sugar either, I hate when German Potato Salad is too sweet (or BBQ sauce, or coleslaw, etc).

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 11, messages 271 to 300 of 316

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com