Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Macaroni and Cheese: Which style?

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 103 of 103
nom nom nom

• Total Posts: 30
Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Sat, 03/26/11 12:07 PM (permalink)
The box is nostalgic. It seems to make sense, if you are selling street food, to attempt to appeal to your clientele. Both versions are easy to make and both serve a purpose. What do personal preference and successful selling have to do with one another?

The mini-fridge in my trailer holds my personal preferences. The deep freeze and the full-sized fridge hold my payload...never the twain shall meet.

<message edited by nom nom nom on Sat, 03/26/11 12:12 PM>

zimm3839

• Total Posts: 31
    Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Sat, 07/2/11 5:10 PM (permalink)
    Baked with a cream sauce and real cheese... Panko on top or not... Either way its awsome !!!!!!!!!!

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
      Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Thu, 07/7/11 1:37 PM (permalink)
      I'll make it in the oven with homemade sauce and bread crumb topping if I'm making it for other people... out of the box with some extra cheddar and splashed with Tapatio once in the bowl, if it's just me. I also like to put a scoop of chili on top if I have some in the fridge/freezer.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
        Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Sun, 07/17/11 10:23 AM (permalink)
        Mac & cheese was always one of my go to dinners when all 4 kids were at home.  Now it is one of the grandchildrens' favorite.  Here is my recipe, not fancy, but very comforting.
        Macaroni & cheese
        1 lb  box of macaroni, cooked to al dente.
        3 T butter
        3 T flour
        1/2 t salt
        1 1/2 C milk
        1/2 lb velveeta, cut into chunks
        2 C shredded mild cheddar cheese
        Preheat oven to 350
        In large plastic bowl(the largest  & tallest that will fit into your microwave, when the sauce boils, it will come up & you want a deep bowl to prevent a boilover) melt  butter in microwave, whisk in flour & salt , then whisk in milk.    Microwave on high for 2 minutes, whisk, microwave 2 minutes, whisk again,repeat until sauce is thick.  Add Velveeta, stir until Velveeta is melted.  Add cooked macaroni,stir to combine, add shredded cheese.  Pour into greased( use butter) 9x13 baking dish, bake 3-35 minutes, until mac & cheese is bubbling & the edges start to brown.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1927
          Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Sun, 07/17/11 4:22 PM (permalink)
          Baked, nice and thick, not runny.  With good cheddar.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Sun, 07/17/11 5:08 PM (permalink)
            I agree, MellowRoast.For me, a good cheddar is a must-none of the bagged stuff but a sharp one I need to grate myself!

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
              Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Sun, 07/17/11 5:56 PM (permalink)
              It may be blasphemy but I like the Bob Evans brand in the refrigerated section of the supermarket. Also love the Bob Evans mashed potatoes from the same section.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1927
                Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Mon, 07/18/11 5:25 PM (permalink)
                ann peeples

I agree, MellowRoast.For me, a good cheddar is a must-none of the bagged stuff but a sharp one I need to grate myself!

You got that right.  Just hand me a box grater and I'll go to town with it.  Can't handle that doggone cellulose powder.

NascarDad

Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Thu, 07/28/11 12:07 PM (permalink)
                  the youngest in my family is very picky ever since he had an allergic reaction to some food.  Ever since then he won't try much new ever, and is very picky.  To him, all he wants is the Kraft M&C and that's it.  It is one of about 4 foods he eats.  So we keep it around for him even though my wife would prefer to make homemade.

He is so stubborn that he actually wont eat something he doesn't trust  to the point that he is sick from low blood sugar.  Of course a trip to the emergency room in an ambulance at 20 months old probably sticks with you when your still just 3.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                    Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Fri, 07/29/11 11:16 AM (permalink)
                    NascarDad

the youngest in my family is very picky ever since he had an allergic reaction to some food.  Ever since then he won't try much new ever, and is very picky.  To him, all he wants is the Kraft M&C and that's it.  It is one of about 4 foods he eats.  So we keep it around for him even though my wife would prefer to make homemade.

He is so stubborn that he actually wont eat something he doesn't trust  to the point that he is sick from low blood sugar.  Of course a trip to the emergency room in an ambulance at 20 months old probably sticks with you when your still just 3.

I went through the same thing, but I was 20. I ended up severely malnourished and a bout with salmonella almost did me in. Hopefully you'll be able to help him overcome his anxiety about food and get him eating more things. I got tested to find out what I was sensitive to, to know what to avoid, and it helped my anxiety about having a reaction diminish greatly. Now I have a hard time keeping the pounds off as opposed to putting them on.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 398
                      Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Thu, 03/29/12 3:00 PM (permalink)
                      MellowRoast

Baked, nice and thick, not runny.  With good cheddar.

Yes! My Aunt made the best mac and cheese I've ever eaten anywhere, and I've eaten a LOT. Simply a pound of macaroni, cooked al dente, a block of extra sharp New York Cheddar (ok, I guess you could use other extra sharp cheddar!) a can of evaporated milk, a little salt. When the macaroni is done, drain, immediately add the block of cheddar that you've grated, and stir to melt, add the can of evap milk, then enough water to ensure the macaroni is covered by liquid, put in a casserole dish, into a 350 degree oven for 45 or so minutes. 

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                        Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Thu, 03/29/12 3:18 PM (permalink)
                        Love mac and cheese, but growing up in the 50's in our Italian household, mon considered it purely a side dish...no mac and cheese dinners....Pasta was a dinner...on Sunday...or a first course on holidays...mac and cheese, side dish!!!

jimBoSF

• Total Posts: 14
                          Re:Macaroni and Cheese: Which style? Thu, 07/12/12 5:31 PM (permalink)
                          I can't think of a bad style of Mac and cheese, unless it doesn't have enough cheese.

think my favorite has become deep fried mac and cheese balls, since having them on the road in Maryland. I forget the name of that diner but we had seen it on TV. Insane good

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 103 of 103

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com