The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Mon, 10/5/09 7:22 PM (permalink)

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
    Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Mon, 10/5/09 9:23 PM (permalink)
    It really was the best food magazine, I can't stand Food and Wine, the recipes are AWFUL to me.  Very sad news indeed.

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
      Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Mon, 10/5/09 9:52 PM (permalink)
      I think of Gourmet as dated and pretentious - your parents' food magazine from the '50's. I prefer Saveur. Gourmet won't be missed. Conde-Nast apparently had to choose between Gourment and Bon Appetit, and Gourment got the axe.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Mon, 10/5/09 11:21 PM (permalink)
        I'd call the old Gourmet dated and pretentious.  The word gourmet too.  But I don't feel that is a fair description of the magazine for the past 10 or 15 years at all.  It was a much more food-wise publication than Bon Appetit, with far better writing too.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
          Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Tue, 10/6/09 7:42 AM (permalink)
          You know, I didn't read Gourmet before or after--I've always used Epicurious.com to find what I needed--but the more I read about the situation it sounds like there's a serious money problem behind it.  Ditching four well established magazines (Modern Bride?) with almost no warning to the editorial staff just means they had to have been coming up on not paying people?  I mean, that's nuts.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
            Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Tue, 10/6/09 8:46 AM (permalink)
            We have subscribed to Gourmet on and off for years, and had an extensive collection of my parents (up until we moved and donated them to a library book sale)...We stopped our subscription a couple years after Ruth took over. I didn't like how the articles became blurred with the advertisements and/or visa-versa.

Then, when I was just getting happy about my local stores having all the ingredients needed for the recipes, I find them specifying more exotic and difficult to get (unless maybe you order from an advertiser)ingredients. Lastly, IMO, it became more of a lifestyle magazine as opposed to a cooking magazine.  I can afford the cooking part, not the lifestyle, and I would just as soon not see shiny happy beautiful wealthy people enjoying their meals along with the recipes...picture of food do very well by me.

So, anyway thats how they lost one household..sorry to see them go, but...

Nancypalooza

Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Tue, 10/6/09 9:11 AM (permalink)
              Sara Dickerman (who I love) on the closing.  Also, what the hell is up with all you people with 20 years of Gourmet in your closets?

http://www.doublex.com/bl...t-praise-food-snobbery#

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Tue, 10/6/09 9:48 AM (permalink)
                I could NEVER part with my Gourmet issues dating back to 1983...when I was 14 years old. They were/are my version of "comic book" collections. All in near mint condition and the bonus is that I did not know too much about Jane & Michael Stern or Roadfood until the last few years...so I get to go back and read all of their columns in my collection.

The fact that I  still have this is crazy...

<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 10/6/09 9:50 AM>

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                  Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Tue, 10/6/09 10:26 AM (permalink)
                  It's sad to think of a culinary life after Gourmet, but I'm glad I have the 10+ years of back issues that I do have.

Here's a link to the other thread on these boards where posters are commenting on the demise of Gourmet:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Conde-Nast-to-close-Gourmet-magazine-m544768.aspx

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                    Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Tue, 10/6/09 10:37 AM (permalink)
                    I'm sure most readers of this thread have seen the thread begun by Jane Stern in another category, but figured I'd just set a link anyway:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Jane-and-Michael-need-your-help-m544795.aspx

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                      Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Tue, 10/6/09 11:27 AM (permalink)
                      Say it aint so....

Jane Stern

Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Tue, 10/6/09 7:09 PM (permalink)
                        I have only two words...oy vey

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                          Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Wed, 10/7/09 5:46 AM (permalink)
                          I posted on the older thread in the NEWS forum... but might as well duplicate here:

Very sad.  In the 1960s and 70s it was my mother's magazine of choice. Her cooking education owes MUCH to Gourmet, and she is - and has been for 30++ years - a fabulous
                          cook. 

When I moved to the East Coast in the early 90s, she sent me a clipping by the Sterns, and it was about clams in New England. My life has never really been the same since. I tried their suggestions, I bought their books, and I slowly started visiting "Roadfood" places.

The conclusion I have reached: I would not be here (as in this website) were it not for Gourmet magazine. No question.

It will be sorely missed by many, but one of the greatest losses will be the Sterns' columns.

seafarer john

Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Wed, 10/7/09 9:53 AM (permalink)
                            Unlike some here, we never kept a lot of old Gourmet's - we tended to mutilate them , tearing out pages of recipes and other ephemera which now occupy way too much room in our file cabinet. There are, in our garage, a couple of bundles of old Gourmets, dont know why they were saved and I'm reasonably sure we'll never again look at them.

We were, over about 50 years, off and on subscribers to the magazine - we'd subscribe for a year or two, get tired of it, drop out for a year or town and resubscribe - we happen to be current subscribers. 

We too, will miss the Stern's always amusing and informative column, and we'll miss the sometimes elevated writing on travels, and wine , and good living. We wont miss the load of turgid crap that made up the main body of the magazine - but we will miss the sumptuous photos (and sometimes delicate watercolors and drawings) that accompanied just about every article. 

Cheers, John    

Nancypalooza

Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Wed, 10/7/09 11:50 AM (permalink)

Nancypalooza

Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Mon, 10/19/09 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                Deborah Solomon talks to Ruth Reichl: http://www.nytimes.com/20...gazine/18fob-q4-t.html

seafarer john

Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Wed, 10/21/09 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                  Our Gourmet arrived today and advertises the December issue  - I thought the November issues was to be the last...

Cheers, John 

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
                                    Re:Gourmet magazine closes after 70 years Wed, 10/21/09 6:06 PM (permalink)
                                    It is They tend to layout those things months in advance.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com