Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

pittsburgh bbq

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 111
jamesg

• Total Posts: 3
pittsburgh bbq Mon, 11/2/09 2:15 PM (permalink)
if you want to enjoy a nice traditional menu you can visit RibCage BBQ where they make one of the finest Rib Cage BBQ. They also provide $5 coupons if you visit the site.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:pittsburgh bbq Mon, 11/2/09 2:35 PM (permalink)
    jamesg

if you want to enjoy a nice traditional menu you can visit RibCage BBQ where they make one of the finest Rib Cage BBQ. They also provide $5 coupons if you visit the site.

So how long have you owned the place?

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
      Re:pittsburgh bbq Mon, 11/2/09 2:36 PM (permalink)
      How long have you been in the bbq biz?

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
        Re:pittsburgh bbq Mon, 11/2/09 4:23 PM (permalink)
        Funny, same post on yelp, about and travel channel and all made the same day. And according to his site, the $5 coupon expires on 8/20/09.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
          Re:pittsburgh bbq Mon, 11/2/09 5:11 PM (permalink)
          East Monongahela; didn't this used to be The Rib Joint, with the Batman Sauce? Or was that in Elizabeth?

Note to buffetbuster; giant cod sandwiches.
          <message edited by Mosca on Mon, 11/2/09 5:13 PM>

Ralph Melton

Re:pittsburgh bbq Tue, 11/3/09 12:24 PM (permalink)
            I can use this as a flimsy pretext to mention The Flame BBQ, on Babcock Road in Shaler. (Website: http://www.theflamebbq.com )

I can't quite decide how I feel about this place.
            The pork is pretty good, and I like how they've added a Pittsburgh twist with things like their Pierogies and Pulled Pork:

(On the other hand, the website's claim of "fast service" has not been borne out in my experience.)

And it's got the piggy decor one would associate with barbecue:

But here's the thing: the restaurant doesn't smell like smoke (and the meat, though tasty, isn't particularly smoky).
            This renders me wholly unable to judge it as a barbecue place, but puts it into a category of its own for which I have no apt comparison.
            It's barbecue-ish enough that when I try to judge it, I gravitate to judging it as a barbecue place--but then the lack of smoke makes it slip out of that standard. 

buffetbuster

Re:pittsburgh bbq Wed, 11/4/09 8:02 AM (permalink)
              Ralph-
              I am far from a bbq expert, but I have never found a place around Pittsburgh that would stay open for more than six months in Memphis, Kansas City or North Carolina.  But then, truthfully, I really don't seek them out.

The pierogies and pulled pork does look interesting.

jamesg

Re:pittsburgh bbq Thu, 11/12/09 3:25 AM (permalink)
                i know the coupons for www.ribcagebbq.com are outdated, but its a technical error, you can actually go with those coupons and get a 5% discount.

we have been in business for 3-4 years now.

Thanks!

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                  Re:pittsburgh bbq Thu, 11/12/09 9:17 AM (permalink)
                  James,

People here have no tolerance for self promoting posts under the guise that they are not promoting one self.  If you own the place, clearly say so and invite Roadfooders to try it; you'll get a more friendly response. My two cents.

Ralph Melton

Re:pittsburgh bbq Sun, 11/15/09 9:47 PM (permalink)
                    I would basically agree with buffetbuster there, and I'd add my native Texas to the list. But sometimes the craving comes upon me, and I emerge from my lair and go forth in search of smoked meat.

Here's a rundown on some of the barbecue places I've tried in the Pittsburgh area:

Mr. Ribbs in Penn Hills was the single worst restaurant dining experience I've ever had. Time has mercifully blurred the details, but I recall that not only was the meat horribly gristly, the macaroni and cheese was as well. It was only several years after it closed that I stopped saying "Feh" every time I passed the site. (There are other places around Pittsburgh with the Mr. Ribbs name, but I don't know if my condemnation should extend to those places as well.)

Red River Barbecue on McKnight Road in the North Hills was obviously not authentic; I don't think I've ever had authentic barbecue in a place with cloth napkins, and the sun-dried cherry coleslaw made it doubly inauthentic. The meat was okay, but the menu had a focus on pork that surprised me--perhaps I was wrong in my assumption that the Red River of the name was the river that forms the Texas-Oklahoma boundary. It has now closed.

Q 4 You in Swissvale was a great barbecue place, in a round little building decorated with flames on the roof. The barbeque was wonderful, with a rich bold flavor. (The proprietor said it was Kansas City-style, with some variations of his own.) I loved the baked beans, which were thick enough to stand a spoon in. Meals also came with soft yeast rolls that were huge--the size of a child's head. The prices were very cheap, also--the two of us could have a full meal with leftovers for the next day for $10.
                    Unfortunately, Q 4 You closed after a few months. I don't know much about why it closed, but I have a guess. Before it closed for good, it closed for a couple of weeks because the owner had shingles. My guess is that some other catastrophe happened, and he didn't have enough reserves of money or help to stay afloat.

Maverick's Bar-B-Que on Route 30 in East Pittsburgh had no particular barbecue tradition; when I asked him what style of barbecue he served, he shrugged and said "Pittsburgh-style". In this case, that meant a barbecue sandwich served on an Italian roll. The shredded pork was pretty good, but the one time I got the shredded beef, it was like a sandwich full of hot wet beef jerky.
                    It is now closed.

Jake's Beef and Bar-B-Que in the Pittsburgh Galleria was misnamed--it was a steakhouse decorated in an arty southwestern style, with only a few barbecue items on the menu. I recall that they had several different sauces, and the waiter arranged them artfully on a plate to describe the different sauces. The meat was fairly good, but apparently not good enough to call me to the South Hills often.
                    It is now closed. 

Jameson's was in Oakland, very near the 837 exit off the Parkway East. They advertised their barbecue on their sign, but in practice this meant that they had a beef brisket sandwich on the menu. I was hopeful, because beef brisket is a part of my barbecue tradition that is hard to find around here--but the reality of the sandwich was a disappointment. 
                    It is now closed. 

Clem's, out on Route 22 near Blairsville, is not closed as far as I know. (After the number of places I've listed that are closed, that seems to put them above the pack.) It's another place that has no smell of smoke, but the meat is rather good. If I were driving out that way, I would certainly stop in at Clem's, but it's not quite close enough to what I want to draw me that far. 

Big Mama's House of Soul, down in the Strip, has been praised by restaurant reviewers. But the one time we went there, service was very slow, and the ribs were kind of tough, which is not how I like my ribs. I would give them another try, but I regard them as on probation.

Smokey Bones is a chain restaurant near The Mall at Robinson. It's a good chain, though, and the barbecue is very good. I'll go there any time I'm near Robinson or I go out to the airport.

Red Hot and Blue was another chain restaurant, this one in the Waterfront shopping center near us. It was a very good chain. It had my favorite ribs outside of Memphis (though I don't try ribs all that often, so this is significant but not astounding praise), and their sides were very good. I particularly liked their Brunswick stew, their mac and cheese, and their cornbread. The restaurant showed a respect and affection for Southern food, Southern hospitality, barbecue, and blues that seemed much more genuine than the usual synthetic chain smarm. We would eat there once or twice a month; we were very sad when it closed.

Famous Dave's Barbecue, near Waterworks, was much more synthetic in their attempts to charm. The barbecue was pretty good, but not wonderful. The sauce was a bit too spicy for Lori.
                    That location is now closed.

Mitch's Mobile Bar-B-Que Pit is a guy and his smoker trailer. The menu is far from authentic barbecue, but it's pretty good. We had him bring his smoker to our house to cater our wedding party, and we might well do so again for an anniversary party. He also makes his own ice cream, which was pretty good.

Elliott's Backstreet Barbecue on 51 in the South Hills has lasted for over a decade (and not closed yet as far as I know). I haven't eaten there in many years, but I remember the food being fairly good, but not special.

Mr. Willie's BBQ opened recently in Squirrel Hill. Its menu is mostly ribs and fried chicken; this is a barbecue tradition shared by several restaurants in Pittsburgh, but it's not my barbecue tradition. I know we've eaten there, but I have little memory of the food, and even when we're in Squirrel Hill, I'd probably eat somewhere else instead.

Gramma Anna's BBQ in Wilkinsburg was another freakishly smoke-free place, but the barbecue was pretty good. They had four sauces, of which I particularly liked their mustard sauce. The sign is still there, but one day I went in and the people there seemed to be running a temp agency, with no indications of selling food at all.

BJ's BBQ Smokehouse is in Swissvale--or at least, the sign is. When I tried to eat there on Saturday, I found all the doors locked, and the phone number on their sign is disconnected. I'm not optimistic that they will satisfy my barbecue cravings.

A few barbecue restaurants in the Pittsburgh area that I've been meaning to try:

Cho-Cho's has recently opened up in Wilkinsburg. It would do well on convenience to my home. The name reminds me of the cannibalistic Tcho-Tcho's from H. P. Lovecraft's fiction, but I don't think that I can reasonably hold that against them.

Wilson's BBQ on the North Side has been around for decades, and was featured in Rick Sebak's TV special on the North Side. I'm not sure that Rick Sebak is an expert on barbecue, though.

Two Brothers Bar-B-Q in the South Hills won "Best Barbecue" in a Post-Gazette opinion poll. I'm not sure how much I can trust Post-Gazette readers about barbecue, but it's certainly worth checking out.

Steel City Smokehouse and Saloon in Century III Mall got a good review from the P-G's food reviewer (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08241/907415-440.stm). I don't expect a wonderfully authentic experience, but Munch's enthusiasm makes me want to check it out.

<message edited by ralphmelton on Sun, 11/15/09 9:58 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:pittsburgh bbq Mon, 11/16/09 6:17 AM (permalink)
                      Ralph-
                      Thanks so much for taking the time to add that fantastic list.

Clem's in Blairsville is still open and in a spiffy, new building.  This is the best barbecue I have had in the area.  Not sure I would drive all the way out there just for it, but if you are in the area.  I have some photos which I will get around to posting.

On my one visit to Big Mama's House of Soul, I didn't get the bbq.  But my chicken and all the sides were quite good.  The service was painfully slow, though, just like your visit.

Wilson's BBQ sure has authentic bbq atmosphere, but the ribs were just so-so.  I haven't been back.

You gave me lots of places to try, so thanks again!

BurghFeeder

• Total Posts: 18
                        Re:pittsburgh bbq Tue, 11/17/09 10:49 AM (permalink)
                        Great list Ralph!  I'll second buffetbuster's recommendatin of Clems.  They are in a new building now, but the old location had huge wood burning pits that sure did put the smell of smoke in the air.  At one time, I drove past there every morning at about 7am, and the smoke would be swirling, getting ready for the day's slow cooking.  It's my favorite in the area, but I can also recommend Two Brothers near Bridgeville.  It's just a trailer in a parking lot set-up, but the brisket was great!

Isn't there a BBQ place on rt51, near Brentwood?  I think it's across the street from McGinnis Sisters...I don't recall the name though.

http://burghfeeding.blogspot.com/

Mosca

Re:pittsburgh bbq Tue, 11/17/09 1:17 PM (permalink)
                          A lot of places that are in neighborhoods need to have smoke cleaners installed; bbq smoke might be great when you're driving by, but it's  not such a great deal if you have to smell it 24/7. When Burger King put a restaurant down on the main drag about half a mile from my house, one of the restrictions was that it had to have no odor whatsoever, and it doesn't. The Smoky Bones across the street from where I work has no smoke odor; say what you will about them, but their ribs are smoked.

I don't know that this is the reason for no smoky smell, just throwing it out there; others wiser than I can tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Ralph Melton

Re:pittsburgh bbq Tue, 11/17/09 4:10 PM (permalink)
                            That's a good point, Mosca. It's certainly very plausible that Pennsylvania's regulations are different from Texas's. (There's an opportunity to make a crack about liquor laws there, but it would be too easy.)

I don't require smoke outside the restaurant; it's more a matter of a light smoky scent inside that I rely upon to tell me that I'm in a barbecue restaurant instead of, say, a doctor's waiting room. (Smokey Bones does have that indoor scent, in my experience.)

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                              Re:pittsburgh bbq Tue, 11/17/09 4:22 PM (permalink)
                              that's too bad. I would love to have smell of hickory burning
                              round here.

ribcagebbq

• Total Posts: 5
                                Re:pittsburgh bbq Sun, 11/22/09 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                Hello,

My name is John and I am the owner of the Rib Cage BBQ in Monongahela. I apologize if the posting on this site has made anybody upset. We had somebody doing some internet marketing for us and when I googled "Pittsburgh BBQ" to see how he was doing I came across this thread.  I apologize for any inconvenience. The place referred to above that had the "Batman" sauce was called Jeromes and to my knowledge he is no longer in business, or only does catering.  I apologize that the 5% discount is outdated, I will get that updated ASAP.  If you have any questions I would be glad to answer and we would love to have anybody stop down to try out our food. Again sorry for the "self promotion" I was unaware that this was going on.

jamesg

Re:pittsburgh bbq Sun, 11/22/09 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                  Sorry if I offended anyone here but I wasn't aware that I was doing anything wrong since I didn't lie about anything I said: the place really has great food and the problem with the outdated coupons was just technical, even if the date is incorrect they are still valid.

It's true I know John and his place, but I truly recommend it and anyone who will try it will agree. Waiting for other reviews anyway to back that up..

I wish everyone a nice day and I apologise again if I caused any inconvenience

Regards

Ralph Melton

Re:pittsburgh bbq Sun, 11/22/09 12:43 PM (permalink)
                                    Hey, John, 

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. Your remarks make me more interested in visiting Rb Cage BBQ, though it'd be a bit of a drive for me.

I have one question I'd like to ask you:
                                    From your menu, it seems that your primary focus is on ribs and chicken, with pulled pork and other sundries as a sideline.
                                    This is a style of barbecue menu that I've only seen in Pittsburgh (though my barbecue experience is admittedly spotty), but I've seen it in several Pittsburgh barbecue places: yours, Mr. Willie's BBQ in Squirrel Hill, and Steel City Rib House in in East Liberty. 
                                    Can you shed light on where this style of barbecue menu comes from, please?

Apparently I have more than one question: your menu says that you have Hot Stuffed Banana Peppers when in season. What's the season for stuffed banana peppers?

Many thanks!

Mosca

Re:pittsburgh bbq Sun, 11/22/09 8:51 PM (permalink)
                                      Yeah, Jeromes. It was so long ago, like 30 years. We just called it The Rib Joint, but it was definitely Jerome's. I remember the sauce being heavy on the celery seed, and very hot at the Batman level.

John, James, we are a prickly bunch here. It gets remarked upon a lot by new users, owners/marketers or not. If you stick around  for the camaraderie, you might find that you fit in, and that's cool. If you don't, that's cool too. I'm not in charge here, but I would give you a "thanks for coming around" if I was.

I think the biggest objection to the guerrilla marketing is that there are advertisers who pay for space, and otherwise the intent and content of the site is sharing food experiences. The reliability of the content depends on the reviews and reports being unbiased, having no intent other than the common goal of finding good food. A better way to have introduced yourselves would have been straightforward, "Hi, we're The Ribcage, come on by and see what you think, and if you like it please tell folks."

But what the hell do I know. Apologies accepted, next time I'm down Mon way (I grew up in Jefferson & have friends in Finleyville & Elizabeth) I'll make a point to stop in and say hello, order one of everything, and let folks know what it tastes like.

ribcagebbq

Re:pittsburgh bbq Mon, 11/23/09 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                        Thanks guys,

Ralph, I believe its just the culture of the area. Growing up in the Mon Valley I was surrounded by Rib joints. I live 2 minutes away from Jeromes, and there were plenty of other "Rib Shacks" near by such as Rockys, One Eyed Willies, etc - and their menus all predominately consisted of this kind of food. To be honest I am not sure of the actual origin, but it is what I grew up on here in the Burgh. I've visted BBQ places all over and even in Baltimore the emphasis definitely shifts. I think one very unique thing about the Pittsburgh area is the style of sauce. The further south you go you will find more sweet vinegar based sauces, you seldom find that up here.  Our main sellers would definitely be chops & ribs. I would say we are most well known for our chops. 

In regards to Bananas Peppers, those are a summer thing. So we won't have those anymore until next summer unfortunately because people really enjoy em.

If anyone is in the mon valley area feel free to stop in and say Hello. Either me or my dad will be there and we are both named John so you will find one of us!

buffetbuster

Re:pittsburgh bbq Mon, 11/23/09 4:48 PM (permalink)
                                          ribcagebbq-
                                          First of all, welcome to Roadfood!

In case you wondering why some people were quick to be suspicious and unwelcoming, sometimes an owner of a restaurant will post on these forums and pretend to be a satisfied customer lavishing praise, when it is their own place.  That just seems very underhanded to us. 

But, we have no problem with the owner coming on here and saying, "Hey, I have a good product, how about checking it out".  Which is what you did and I'm glad you are here.  Nothing wrong with being proud of your business!

You have a nice website and I sure do love me some bbq.  You are on the complete other side of Pittsburgh from me, but I will try and stop down in the next couple of months and check it out.  Maybe Ralph and other Pittsburghers could join me?

ribcagebbq

Re:pittsburgh bbq Tue, 11/24/09 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                            BB,

Thank you for the warm invite. I am happy we were able to clear the air :)  We are very proud of our business and would love for any new customers to come in and check us out.

If you are ever planning on coming down with some friends please let me know beforehand and we will make sure that we take care of you :)

Ralph Melton

Re:pittsburgh bbq Tue, 11/24/09 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                              buffetbuster
                                              You are on the complete other side of Pittsburgh from me, but I will try and stop down in the next couple of months and check it out.  Maybe Ralph and other Pittsburghers could join me? 

I am in favor of this plan. Trying out a good barbecue place in the Pittsburgh area would be a victory for all mankind. Or it would be a tasty meal for me. I get those two confused sometimes.

gregys

• Total Posts: 126
                                                Re:pittsburgh bbq Fri, 12/4/09 11:17 AM (permalink)
                                                Glad to find this message board. I was trying to get more history on this area
                                                All I know, everybody always talked about the rib joint when in high school in the 60's.
                                                I also have tasted Jerrome's. I like the sauce but I have found Eliot's less than perfect
                                                in the meats. And, that Blaine Hill has MSG in the sauce. I have to get to the Rib Cage.
                                                In the early 80's my brother like the sauce of Jerrome's ?, and I tried to copy the recipe flavor.
                                                So I have a recipe, but things always tend to change and I also experiment with my sauce.
                                                I don't know how far it goes, but the sauces are similar in the Monongahela River Valley.
                                                i call my sauce that. Its similar but again to my tastes. It takes some time to boil down the ingredients.
                                                I would like some of the restaurant owners to sample it. Here goes a link to my one of my websites and the sauce.  http://www.pitt.edu/~szek...20barbecue%20sauce.htm

Got to get to the Mon. !! I live near West Elizabeth.

Mosca

Re:pittsburgh bbq Fri, 12/4/09 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                                  gregys,

Finleyville: TJ? I'm TJ '72, my oldest sister is TJ '68.

From my understanding, one key ingredient in Mon Valley style of sauces is celery seed. If you have a batch already made up, try some and see if it doesn't come closer.

(I got that information in a typical round-about way, from someone who said he won the recipe in a card game from Jerome. I've had the sauce, on country style ribs. It was good; strong flavor of celery seed. It was made to "atomic" strength, one step below "batman".)

gregys

Re:pittsburgh bbq Fri, 12/4/09 12:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    V8 juice HAS celery in it. So its in my sauce. There is also spinach, tomatoes, Beets, etc.
                                                    I have seen someone have a made up recipe for V8 using raw components.
                                                    If I did that, I would not have to cook down as much, ot take so long.

TJ 67, last name szekeres

gregys

• Location: finleyville, PA
                                                      Re:pittsburgh bbq Fri, 12/4/09 12:25 PM (permalink)

Hot. Hot ?
                                                      I carry a small bottle of home made Habenero pepper with me wherever I go.
                                                      If you need HOT just get some Dave's Insanity sauce to spice up whatever you need.
                                                      You can buy that at Decarlos in Elizabeth. One drop at a time, WARNING.

Mosca

• Location: Mountain Top, PA
                                                        Re:pittsburgh bbq Fri, 12/4/09 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                                        LOL, yes, I am familiar with hot. Dave's Insanity should not be classified as a food item, it should be classified as a chemical. My favorite of the really hot sauces is Melinda's XXXX; it still has a great vegetable flavor, habanero hot but still peppery with sweetness and some carrots.

The hottest anything I ever tasted was when I bit into a raw scotch bonnet pepper, when I was in Jamaica, about 25 years ago. It looked so beautiful, and delicious, and I had never seen one before and had no idea what it was. My, my.

Just sayin' on the celery seed. I remember the taste as pronounced celery seed, but it was years ago. I'll do the experiment myself, I wasn't trying to "Tom Sawyer" you into doing it, but I considered that you might have some already made up. I will absolutely mix up your recipe and try it, it looks pretty good; I'll probably do some as written, and with extra celery seed, and see 1) which I prefer, and 2) which is more like the taste I remember.

Last name Brenholts.

EDIT: Looking closely at the recipe, I see the Mrs Dash. Celery seed is a key ingredient of Mrs Dash. Could be right there.
                                                        <message edited by Mosca on Fri, 12/4/09 12:46 PM>

Mosca

• Location: Mountain Top, PA
                                                          Re:pittsburgh bbq Fri, 12/4/09 2:36 PM (permalink)
                                                          Oh; and, WELCOME TO ROADFOOD! This is one great forum. Except... ahhh, never mind.  Welcome!

gregys

• Location: finleyville, PA
                                                            Re:pittsburgh bbq Fri, 12/4/09 2:58 PM (permalink)
                                                            Well now I know some more about Ms. Dash !
                                                            I didn't first start using Mrs. Dash until the last few years, but I
                                                            use it on everything as its not salty-no salt. I like to rub it into the meat also.

I commonly bite into Habeneros, and I am partially immune, but I know how
                                                            to eat them. The white spines  inside and the seeds are the hottest part
                                                            of peppers. The thing is, I get the real taste of the pepper and not just the hot.
                                                            I can tell if its fresh or sour very easily. Most peppers at the store are picked too soon.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 111

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com