The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Art's in Farmersville is closed

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
Art's in Farmersville is closed Fri, 11/27/09 7:01 PM (permalink)
Art's Restaurant & Motel in Farmersville, Illinois is a place with strong ties to Route 66 but now the restaurant is closed (I don't know about the motel).  We stopped on Wednesday afternoon and it was dark and a "For Rent" sign was in the window.  I don't know any details but it's still a shame...

Brad

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
    Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Fri, 11/27/09 7:23 PM (permalink)
    Art's was one of those places that was always on the Route 66 radar.  Unfortunately, we were always passing by at the wrong time.  Either we weren't hungry or Art's was closed as we drove by.  Add to that the fact that in recent years, since meeting The Dr. of BBQ, we were always leaving Springfield with full bellies, or approaching it in anticipation of eating at Jack's, and we almost never ate anywhere within 200 miles in either direction of the state capital.

Oh well, so long Art's; we hardly knew you.  In fact, we didn't know you at all.

Buddy

guspas

• Total Posts: 197
      Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Sun, 12/6/09 6:56 PM (permalink)
      It is a tough time for many independents.....

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Thu, 01/14/10 1:38 PM (permalink)
        Brad_Olson

Art's Restaurant & Motel in Farmersville, Illinois is a place with strong ties to Route 66 but now the restaurant is closed (I don't know about the motel).  We stopped on Wednesday afternoon and it was dark and a "For Rent" sign was in the window.  I don't know any details but it's still a shame...

Brad

Arts is now for sale again

http://springfieldil.crai...rg/bfs/1551820697.html

Art's BBQ

• Total Posts: 1
          Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Mon, 04/19/10 5:27 PM (permalink)
          Art's Restaurant in Farmersville, IL has re-opened as of Valentine's Day 2010.  Art's features genuine barbecue and smoked meats along with fried chicken and brick oven thin crust pizza.  Art's feature items like BBQ Pie, BBQ Spaghetti along with pulled pork, ribs, chicken and pulled turkey.  It's open every day from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. 

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Mon, 04/19/10 5:44 PM (permalink)
            Art's BBQ

Art's Restaurant in Farmersville, IL has re-opened as of Valentine's Day 2010.  Art's features genuine barbecue and smoked meats along with fried chicken and brick oven thin crust pizza.  Art's feature items like BBQ Pie, BBQ Spaghetti along with pulled pork, ribs, chicken and pulled turkey.  It's open every day from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. 

Welcome to Roadfood,

First the best of luck to you in  your new adventure. I'll bet the Farmersville, Girard, and Virden folks are very happy. How about some pictures, and maybe when you get time a complete list of food items,and prices to go with it. I'll stop and have some lunch some Monday, and again welcome to Roadfood.

Jack

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
              Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Mon, 04/19/10 5:46 PM (permalink)
              It's gonna be tough for me to stop in after I've just visited the Dr. of BBQ in Springfield, but I always want to support the little guy, especially a classic like Art's on Route 66.  Maybe I'll eat one less rib with the Dr. and then head on down your way for a snack.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Tue, 04/20/10 10:36 AM (permalink)
                Best of luck, "new Art".  I won't be down your way until Thanksgiving but I'll make a point of stopping.

Brad

ScreamingChicken

Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Thu, 08/18/11 2:05 PM (permalink)
                  Looks like Art's might not have made it...the website is no longer active and Mrs. SC just told me that when she passed it a little while ago it looked closed.

Brad
                  <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Thu, 08/18/11 2:10 PM>

rumaki

• Total Posts: 968
                    Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Thu, 08/18/11 2:24 PM (permalink)
                    When we were doing our mini Illinois Route 66 tour last week, we went through Farmersville.  Looks like the town is having very tough economic times.  Did notice the Opera House -- a relic of a more prosperous era, no doubt?http://www.flickr.com/photos/myoldpostcards/3737259853/in/photostream/

By the way, did you know the Coliseum Ballroom in Benld burned down a couple of weeks ago?  We drove by on Friday, and the building is pretty much gutted -- and the roof has collapsed.  The iconic sign's still there, though.
                    http://www.thetelegraph.com/articles/swanson-57307-coliseum-ballroom.html
                    <message edited by rumaki on Thu, 08/18/11 2:45 PM>

ScreamingChicken

Re:Art's in Farmersville is closed Thu, 08/18/11 2:57 PM (permalink)
                      I last drove past Farmersville in 2009 (the 2010 trip didn't materialize) and it was 2008 when I went into town, and it was obvious that it was hurting.  In a way that's kind of surprising given its proximity to Springfield, as I can see it being something of a bedroom community.

That's too bad about the Coliseum.  It must've been quite the place in its heyday.

Brad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com