The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ?

Gwenevere1946

• Total Posts: 11
Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Wed, 12/30/09 7:05 PM (permalink)
HI Again,

Just checking to see if anyone enjoyed the chili Brick recipe I submitted a while back (3/20/09)!  I would be pleased to hear any comment.
Gwenevere

jensenly

• Total Posts: 1
    Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Mon, 06/21/10 8:27 PM (permalink)
    Gwen - I am in the middle of cooking up the recipe using suet and noticed in the instructions there is mention of adding "paste" and "flour", yet these two items are not part of the ingredients list.  HELP!  I assume you mean tomato paste, but what amounts of paste and flour??  Thanks -

Cedarglen

• Total Posts: 6
      Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Wed, 08/18/10 5:03 PM (permalink)
      I guess I;m a newbie on this forum and missed the original.  Brick chili is +/- esactly what I'm looking for and I would like to try this one.  If possible, please send the formula via the [private] back door, or repost it.  I'll be watching for it.  Thanks!
      Cedarglen

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
        Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Wed, 08/18/10 6:36 PM (permalink)
        Cedarglen

I guess I;m a newbie on this forum and missed the original.  Brick chili is +/- esactly what I'm looking for and I would like to try this one.  If possible, please send the formula via the [private] back door, or repost it.  I'll be watching for it.  Thanks!
        Cedarglen

This is the thread with the recipe:
        http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=323707&high=Chili+brick

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
          Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Sun, 08/29/10 1:42 PM (permalink)
          Gwen, it would have been OK to re post on the first thread. I took a new look at the first thread (thanks 6Star!) and the two recipes are very different I think.
          Joe

Cedarglen

Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Sun, 08/29/10 3:51 PM (permalink)
            Thanks for the link.  Got it just fine (though the site is a bit slow today.)
            ??Have you tried this stuff?  Your thoughts.
            I'll try to connect with Gwen and offer thanks as well.
            Cedarglen

Cedarglen

Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Sun, 08/29/10 3:57 PM (permalink)
              Gwenevere1946

HI Again,

Just checking to see if anyone enjoyed the chili Brick recipe I submitted a while back (3/20/09)!  I would be pleased to hear any comment.
              Gwenevere

It took a long while to find the original.  Thanks to Joe8, I finally got the proper link.  Since I just got it, of course I've not made it yet.  It DOES look like what I'm seeking, so I;ll give it a try.  As an experimental batch, I may scale it down a bit (10# of meat for an experiment is not my idea of a real experiment.)  If ANYONE has any comments or additional suggestion, I'd sure like to hear them.  Thanks to all.
              Cedarglen.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Sun, 08/29/10 7:45 PM (permalink)
                Cedarglen, I would love to take credit but it was 6star who posted the link to the recipe in the other thread.

Suggestion, just cut the 10# recipe by 1/10th. Now you can experiment easier. I like the 2nd. (no bean) recipe better, just from looking it over, by the way.
                Joe

Cedarglen

Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Sun, 08/29/10 8:18 PM (permalink)
                  Thank you.  I sort of realized that, but after the reply was gone and it was not worth fixing. 
                  Yup, I got the divide by ten part <grins>, or even more; pretty easy for one retired from the healthcare business <more grins>.
                  I appreciate the suggestion about the second offering; I was sort of leaning in that direction as it look a little better.  Frankly, once the sauce is in the right neighborhood, a bit of very fine GB can be added to almost anything.  The important part is the sauce...
                  Since you were kind enough to write, please feel welcome to suggest other options, sources or methods.  Regardless of the source, the underlying objective is a robust, flavorful and meaningful 'chili sauce' for condiment use on good dogs and/or burgers.  As served, it does not have to smother or bury the dog, but it must have flavor.  In the ideal presentation, the warm bun gets a tasty dog with a casing that snaps.  One or two lines of mustard of choice, enough of the target chili sauce to fill all voids and some minimal slop-over, and about 1.5 Tbs of fresh, chopped oinon on top.  THANKS!!
                  -
                    (Preferred)

Cedarglen

Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Sun, 08/29/10 8:20 PM (permalink)
                    Yes, I know that the important parts of this thread are very old.  News and ideas from more current readers is more than welcome
                    Cedarglen

tbgoodwillie

• Total Posts: 1
                      Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Fri, 05/27/11 3:15 PM (permalink)
                      Hey Gwen, I am Tim, grandson of a man named Ralph Burton who owned/operated "Ralph's Chili Joint" in downtown Kansas City. I wonder if this is the same Ralph, Cuz?

There is a story about my grandpa's joint, that it was so popular that, not unlike other restaurants in KC, it was not segregated; and Ralph's was EXTRA popular with black folks and the building owners did not like that, so they said that they would kick him out if he didn't stop letting the black people eat in his dining room. So, Ralph just invited them into the kitchen where they ate with my Mom, Aunt, and Grandma. But, Ralph's Chili Joint was SO popular with black folks that the kitchen filled up quick, so he took the counter that divided the dining area from the kitchen and moved it all the way up to the front of the restaurant, leaving only a little space between the door and counter, and effectively turning the entire joint in to a kitchen, so as to accommodate his customers; which in turn had him making $1000 bucks a week, BIG money back then and not so bad now either!

My wife and I are looking into opening a chili parlour, here in KC but serving, along w/ Ralph's traditional KC style chili, New Mexican-style red and green, and Mexican Chili Verde, heck maybe even some curried goat too?

Neat to find Ralph, Chili, and Kansas City in a search!

Recently, when we moved back home to KC I found some old reel-to-reel tapes in the attic, that are air-checks of KCMK radio, same station Patsy Cline played her last show at, called "Dinner Bell Jamboree", this radio show is "brought to you by" by "TJ's Chili Parlour" check it out great old-time commercials and fantastic live country music!

EZPZRZ-Tim

lkburtongoodwillie

• Total Posts: 2
                        Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Mon, 05/30/11 11:44 PM (permalink)
                        tbgoodwillie

Hey Gwen, I am Tim, grandson of a man named Ralph Burton who owned/operated "Ralph's Chili Joint" in downtown Kansas City. I wonder if this is the same Ralph, Cuz?

There is a story about my grandpa's joint, that it was so popular that, not unlike other restaurants in KC, it was not segregated; and Ralph's was EXTRA popular with black folks and the building owners did not like that, so they said that they would kick him out if he didn't stop letting the black people eat in his dining room. So, Ralph just invited them into the kitchen where they ate with my Mom, Aunt, and Grandma. But, Ralph's Chili Joint was SO popular with black folks that the kitchen filled up quick, so he took the counter that divided the dining area from the kitchen and moved it all the way up to the front of the restaurant, leaving only a little space between the door and counter, and effectively turning the entire joint in to a kitchen, so as to accommodate his customers; which in turn had him making $1000 bucks a week, BIG money back then and not so bad now either!

My wife and I are looking into opening a chili parlour, here in KC but serving, along w/ Ralph's traditional KC style chili, New Mexican-style red and green, and Mexican Chili Verde, heck maybe even some curried goat too?

Neat to find Ralph, Chili, and Kansas City in a search!

Recently, when we moved back home to KC I found some old reel-to-reel tapes in the attic, that are air-checks of KCMK radio, same station Patsy Cline played her last show at, called "Dinner Bell Jamboree", this radio show is "brought to you by" by "TJ's Chili Parlour" check it out great old-time commercials and fantastic live country music!

EZPZRZ-Tim

lkburtongoodwillie

• Total Posts: 2
                          Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Mon, 05/30/11 11:58 PM (permalink)
                          Hello Gwen: I am a daughter of Ralph Emerson Burton borm May 1909. I believe this chili brick you discusss is my Dad's recipe. He used this recipe at his restaurant in downtown K.C.Mo. I wonder if we are relatives. I am close to my Mother's side of the family but not as much with Dad's. My Dad 5 brothers and 1 sister who died at age 8 or 10. My Dad's father's name was Samual Burton, his wife Eunice Jane (hansen)?? Burton. Are you related to the Burton family out of KS or the Wade family out of MO. One side note My Mother, Maude E (Wade) Burton was my Father's seond wife I know that he had a daughter but don't know her name. I believe after the break up of Dad's first family that the x-wife and daughter moved back to IL to be with the Mother's family.  Tired for now we must talk soon. Take  Care, Linda Kay Burton Goodwillie born 1946. Mother to Timothy Burton Goodwillie and Ann Catharineeee Goodwillie

markdevis33

• Total Posts: 8
                            Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Tue, 02/21/12 12:27 AM (permalink)
                            Chilli brick recipe
                            INGREDIENTS: 5 pounds lean chili meat
                            1 pound suet, ground
                            4 medium onions, chopped
                            1 tablespoon salt
                            1 tablespoon black pepper
                            1 tablespoon garlic powder
                            1 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
                            1/2 tablespoon red pepper
                            5 chile peppers, parboiled, skinned and finely chopped
                            3 tablespoons chili powder

PREPARATION:
                            Put suet in pan, let melt, then add onions. Add chili meat and cook until meat stands apart, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except chili powder; turn to low and cook slowly until tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

About 15 minutes before meat is done, add chili powder and simmer. Pour into rectangular bowls in refrigerator to thicken. This will keep for weeks.

Gwenevere1946

Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Sat, 10/26/13 7:18 AM (permalink)

Hi, My Uncle Ralph's last name was Jordan. I. Was born in 1946 though.

Gwenevere1946

Re:Ralph's Chili Bricks - I am courious, did anyone try this recipe ? Sat, 10/26/13 7:25 AM (permalink)
                                I. Did not have paste ir flour in tge recipe my recipe is ibcluded ib this thread.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com