The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Coke or Pepsi...why?

Papa Deuce

• Total Posts: 70
Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 8:24 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Does one sell to restaurants for less? Or do the owners tend to sell what they think customers want more? Personally I much prefer Pepsi products, and would like to sell them instead of Coke.

I know that I can drink either without complaint.

EDIT. I mean for FOUNTAIN SODA, please.
<message edited by Papa Deuce on Sat, 01/2/10 10:08 PM>

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
    Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 9:00 PM (permalink)
    If you want to get customers, you better sell what the customers want.....even it means having both Coke and Pepsi. 

I myself am a Pepsiholic.  A restaurant that only sells Coke better have really fantastic food at a really low price or I won't go back.  And I have friends who are just as strong in their preference for Coke products. 

And no, unless your taste buds are fried, Coke and Pepsi do not even come close to having the same taste.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
      Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 9:15 PM (permalink)
      The only time you have to make a this or that period decision is if you have a fountain system with contract from either company. Coke dominates the fountain system market by a very wide percentage.

Papa Deuce

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 9:34 PM (permalink)
        CCinNJ

The only time you have to make a this or that period decision is if you have a fountain system with contract from either company. Coke dominates the fountain system market by a very wide percentage.

I realize this, and this is why I asked. But I wondered if the decision to have one over the other is based on the price to purchase the product. I know people have preferences, but I also know that almost everybody will drink the other if that is the product a restaurant sells.

CCinNJ

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 9:44 PM (permalink)
          In a bar it is standard to have a fountain system and Coke. In a small restaurant without a fountain system you can carry both.

Coke products are  more popular than Pepsi in the Northeast. I would say it would be at least 70% to 30% Coke Sprite vs. Pepsi Sierra Mist if both (bottles/cans) were carried by the same establishment.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 9:45 PM (permalink)
            Some beverage distributors will provide you with a new free cooler, if you carry only their brand.

But in Springfield when you compare the price of a 24 oz Coke from Wal Mart to what the distributor charges you'll find you can soon buy your own cooler.

Wal Mart Coke price 24 oz 88 cents each or less on sale.

Coke from Coke distributor 24 oz $1.16 each and you must order at least 10 cases at a time.

So buying a new cooler vs getting one free is not a hard decision to make. Having a Coke or Pepsi cooler in your trailer doesn't save you money it cost you money.

And I might add Pepsi is the same way.

CCinNJ

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 9:49 PM (permalink)
              Amen to that. Cans can be had here often for as low as $.17 per can alternating between Coke/Pepsi family   in many major Supermarkets.

Papa Deuce

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 10:00 PM (permalink)
                OK,... but I mean FOUNTAIN SODA costs. Sorry if i wasn't clear.

CCinNJ

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 10:16 PM (permalink)
                  It depends on your sales. Neither company will trip over each other or go out of their way to gain a new small unproven account.

bwave

• Total Posts: 231
                    Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 10:37 PM (permalink)
                    I think it depends on whether your local bottling facilities are owned by Coca-Cola Enterprises (about 80% of coke is) or Pepsi Bottling Group (about 50% of pepsi is).  

Here in Maryland/Delaware, all the national chains/franchises pretty much use Coke (with the exception of the ones formerly owned by pepsi Taco Bell, KFC, LJS & Pizza Hut), with the exception of Arby's.   So McD's, BK, IHop, Chili's, etc all use Coke.    HOWEVER, all of the mom and pop restaurants pretty much use Pepsi.   The reason being that there Coke is bottled by CCE and Pepsi is by a local bottler so I assume is cheaper.  So this would depend on your area.

That being said, I think you'd be best getting Coke if you can.  Coke also gives you Minute Maid products.  It's fairly hard to mess up the mix on Coke products, meanwhile, Pepsi products seem to be frequently off flavor  (syrup to water ratio).   More people seem to prefer Coke (albeit by a slim margin).    From what I've seen Pepsi drinkers will settle for Coke if that's all there is; however, Coke drinkers will never settle for Pepsi - when confronted by a Pepsi fountain they will choose Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper instead.   Not a big deal breaker though, as I've never seen someone storm out of restaurant, they will usually pick something else.

Definately do fountain drinks if you're going to do dine-in, but if you think most of your sales will be take out - you want to probably get your own cooler and stock both Pepsi & Coke, and both in bottles and cans.   20oz. bottles you're not going to make as much margin on as you have to sell for about $1.29-1.69, with a cost of around $1/ea.  Cans can be had for about 25cent ea and you can sell for $0.50-$1 ea.    You might be able to cheat and find the 16oz bottles of Coke/Pepsi for $0.45-0.75 ea and sell for $0.99-1.29.   People do not like getting fountain drinks carryout as it is hard to carry bag of food, fountain drink, and try to open door of restaurant and fumble for keys to open door on car.    (unless you have a drivethru)

CCinNJ

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sat, 01/2/10 10:44 PM (permalink)
                      [This post was marked as helpful]
                      PhillyCoke Customer Communications Center  888-551-6800.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                        Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 3:03 AM (permalink)
                        We sell Pepsi products from the fountain, ie... Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mug root beer, Sierra Mist, Mountain Dew, and Lipton unsweetened tea. We do however have Coca Cola in the cans for those who will not drink Pepsi. We also stock Dr. Pepper in cans as we don't have room on our fountain.

I never did ask the owner why Pepsi and not Coke but when they get back from Russia I will ask and then report my findings.

David O.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                          Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 8:34 AM (permalink)
                          You can't see them from there? :)

CCinNJ

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 8:57 AM (permalink)
                            If it is for a small new establishment bottles or cans make more sense. Especially if you supplement with bottles and/or cans for extra choice or takeout. Given the choice people will avoid a fountain system to avoid too weak too strong or flat soda.

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                              Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 10:33 AM (permalink)
                              I had Coke and Pepsi bid on the account. Pepsi got the account based on price. It is also in my contract that they supply me with Coke and Diet Coke cans for my vending machines. Pepsi custom made all my counters, 10 ft condiment counters, 12 ft Beverage station, casher stand, Custom menu boards, triple door display refer, 4 double door refers for my clients employee refer needs, 8 btl, 5 can and three glass front elevator beverage machines, ridding flatbed electric cart for my vending person to deliver product to breakrooms.
                                 80% of my sales are from Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Mountain Dew in 20oz btls and cans. The fountain price is a national price it can't, go any lower than I get, but I do other restaurants that pay much higher. Pepsi also supplies a outside recycle shed to store our bagged empty btl and cans, they pick up weekly and credit my account. I would meet with both companies and see what they have to offer, know what your needs are for Fountain & signs, refers.............Good Luck....Billyb

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                                • Location: Roswell, NM until we leave for another place
                                Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 12:52 PM (permalink)
                                Diet Coke sucks!  Most diet soda drinkers will drink Diet Pepsi or will choose water rather than drink Diet Coke.  We sell Pepsi on the cart.

Personally I love Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet RC is great to but you can't hardly find Diet RC.  Diet RC and a Double Decker Moon Pie!

Go in the grocery stores and look at the carts rolling thru the store and thru the cash registers.  This has helped us in every state we've been in to determine what the locals are drinking.

CCinNJ

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 1:53 PM (permalink)
                                  Personally I drink Coke Zero. I think it is great.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                    Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                    <<Given the choice people will avoid a fountain system to avoid too weak too strong or flat soda. >>

I disagree with that. I will always opt for a fountain soda (Coke or Pepsi or other, I'm not brand loyal at all) over a can or a bottle. I can have a can or bottle at home. For the same reason I will always order draft beer over a can or bottle in a bar if I'm having beer.

Of course, if the fountain soda is flat and/or not mixed properly then that's a mark against the restuarant and would influence my decision as to whether I would ever go back. Same goes for the draft lines in a bar.

CCinNJ

Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 4:11 PM (permalink)
                                      ken8038

<<Given the choice people will avoid a fountain system to avoid too weak too strong or flat soda. >>

I disagree with that. I will always opt for a fountain soda (Coke or Pepsi or other, I'm not brand loyal at all) over a can or a bottle. I can have a can or bottle at home. For the same reason I will always order draft beer over a can or bottle in a bar if I'm having beer.

Of course, if the fountain soda is flat and/or not mixed properly then that's a mark against the restuarant and would influence my decision as to whether I would ever go back. Same goes for the draft lines in a bar.

That is one of the factors to consider for a new business. Sometimes you leave extra profit on the table while building a customer base. 

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                                        Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 4:12 PM (permalink)
                                        bill voss

You can't see them from there? :)

Maybe Sarah can but my eyesight is not that acute!! LMAO

BigRedLunchbox

• Total Posts: 154
                                          Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Sun, 01/3/10 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                          I've done the cans, bottles and now fountain drinks. On the street I lost sales to c-stores because my customers love the big drinks. I shopped around for about 6 months till I found a great deal on a Wunderbar system with chiller, carbonator and pumps on ebay. My drink sales have went up dramatically and I reduced the hassle of hauling cans, them taking up space in my friges etc. If you do go with the can option offer a cup of ice, people love that.
                                          As far as Coke V. Pepsi look around at what everybody else offers, that should tell you who popular in the neighborhood. Here, unless you buy 10 or more cases at a time Coke is not interested in dealing with you directly and you won't get a fountain out of them at all. I get my bib from my local food distrbutor that handles Coke's small guys like me.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                            Re:Coke or Pepsi...why? Mon, 01/4/10 12:52 AM (permalink)
                                            Coke - Pepsi----Who cares!
                                            If people are thirsty they will drink anything. The only restriction I know of is that the vendor must declare what they're serving, Coke or Pepsi. My experience is that most people ask for Coke, and the Vendor must say, "Will Pepsi be OK?. The preference varies by Region, but overall Coke Prevails.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com