The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Commissary rules and options

Stogies

• Total Posts: 4
Commissary rules and options Mon, 05/17/10 4:06 PM (permalink)
I was reading the Restaurant forum and came across an interesting posting which makes me wonder. The posting person indicated that the commissary is used for the obvious storage and cleaning stuff,[font="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "] light prep, sanitizing, etc. but it also mentioned actual storage of the cart? Is this true? I mean most pizza shops, kitchens, etc cannot allow storage of a hot dog cart, or am I misinterpreting this. I though storage of the cart in your driveway or home garage is permitted as long as the steam dishes are removed and cleaned, etc. 

Also my biggest obstacle at the moment before I can open for business is actually finding commissary options. I would really only need it for cleaning and refrigerating the meat. In speaking with the health dept, you can actually chop onions on the cart as long as its clean and you use a NSF chopper. What do most of you use? I have tried church kitchens and have left messages with a couple of lodges (Elks, VFW) . No luck so far...I'm good on storage of drinks and chips, non-perishables in a solid shed in my yard. 

I'm getting closer by the day!

Thanks! 

localnet

• Total Posts: 1064
    Re:Commissary rules and options Mon, 05/17/10 4:19 PM (permalink)
    Check with your health dept. Most will allow you to have a separate fridge/freezer in your house. You cannot use them for your own personal items, just put one in your garage or basement. I have a fridge and a freezer in my garage for the business stuff, prep in the trailer.

Call your HD. And if you explain to the HD that you are using precooked non-hazardous food, more than likely they will let you skip the commissary rule. And look at the thread here regarding pan liners. That should impress them...

And if you have not done so yet, get a copy of your local health code.

Then if all of the above fails, find a local c-store that has a deli, ask them to be your commissary and you will advertise their establishment on your cart, pass out their coupons, etc., if they let you use their sinks.

Mike

dustyjames

• Total Posts: 3
      Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 08/17/10 1:27 AM (permalink)
      this is kind of off the hot dog subject but still on the commissary kitchen part of it. i am in the beginning process of looking for a commissary kitchen to run small catering and a mobile food truck operation out of and one of the first places that comes to mind is a church. i am located in nashville tennessee and read an old post from "curbside grill" who is very familiar with the nashville tennessee area talking about, i think, his sister paying the church rent for use of their kitchen to run a small catering operation out of. i was curious if anybody had an idea of what a church commissary kitchen rental/lease would be in general for a week/month and any other ideas for commissaries and the rental/lease costs related to them.

DadsDogs

• Total Posts: 629
        Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 08/17/10 2:09 AM (permalink)
        dustyjames

this is kind of off the hot dog subject but still on the commissary kitchen part of it. i am in the beginning process of looking for a commissary kitchen to run small catering and a mobile food truck operation out of and one of the first places that comes to mind is a church. i am located in nashville tennessee and read an old post from "curbside grill" who is very familiar with the nashville tennessee area talking about, i think, his sister paying the church rent for use of their kitchen to run a small catering operation out of. i was curious if anybody had an idea of what a church commissary kitchen rental/lease would be in general for a week/month and any other ideas for commissaries and the rental/lease costs related to them.

Most churches that are here do not offer this anymore citing that they do not want to have one of their personnel have to lock or unlock their kitchen daily at my(or any vendors) beckon call.  If I am at my commissary at 5:00 or 6:00am most church kitchens would not have someone dispatched to let me in.  Obviously, if you can find a commissary open 24 hours you won't have this problem.  Just my .02     DD

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
          Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 08/17/10 5:12 AM (permalink)
          Join the church, go every Sunday, leave a big wad of cash on the collection plate.
          They are always looking for volunteers for committees, get on the property committee and you will have a key to the church.
          Same applies for any other club or organisation.

Doggie Bites

• Total Posts: 147
            Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 08/17/10 7:24 AM (permalink)
            I know that Florida does NOT allow us to use churches as our commissary,they are not under the Dept of hotal and rest.,they are under the health dept,been there done that!.I used a small deli/rest.1 emp.and owner it seem everytime I went in to the bigger places there was to much RED tape...Good Luck
            Mike

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
              Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 08/17/10 9:19 AM (permalink)
              dustyjames

Yes it was my Niece and uses her Church Kitchen for free. Caters out it for her clients. She buys on Thursdays and they pick up on Fri- Sat.

Whalehead King

• Total Posts: 42
                Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 08/17/10 2:39 PM (permalink)
                I hear ya Stogies.  This is the last hurdle I have to jump over.  I'm negotiating with a church and we'll see what happens.  Most commercial kitchens don't seem to know anything about the commissary concept even though I'm willing to pay cash every month.  They see it as a nuisance and competition even though I won't be either.  

Louisiana seems to require a commissary for the sinks as well as the storage of perishables.  Unfortunately, I rent rather than own otherwise I would just install the darned things and be done with it.

quickdog

• Total Posts: 500
                  Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 08/17/10 3:18 PM (permalink)
                  Stogies

I was reading the Restaurant forum and came across an interesting posting which makes me wonder. The posting person indicated that the commissary is used for the obvious storage and cleaning stuff,[font="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "] light prep, sanitizing, etc. but it also mentioned actual storage of the cart? Is this true? I mean most pizza shops, kitchens, etc cannot allow storage of a hot dog cart, or am I misinterpreting this. I though storage of the cart in your driveway or home garage is permitted as long as the steam dishes are removed and cleaned, etc. 

Also my biggest obstacle at the moment before I can open for business is actually finding commissary options. I would really only need it for cleaning and refrigerating the meat. In speaking with the health dept, you can actually chop onions on the cart as long as its clean and you use a NSF chopper. What do most of you use? I have tried church kitchens and have left messages with a couple of lodges (Elks, VFW) . No luck so far...I'm good on storage of drinks and chips, non-perishables in a solid shed in my yard. 

I'm getting closer by the day!

Thanks! 

I have noticed that calling, getting a machine, and leaving a message usually doesn't do the trick. I would try to meet with them face to face. Also ask your health department if a liquor store would be an approved place to store your meat. Also will a receipt showing you store your cart at a public storage unit work as well. My HD was the one that gave me that option. I told him I was having trouble finding a commissary. One last suggestion would be to line up a meat supplier (local butcher shop/meat packing company) and ask them to sign your letter for the health Department. You buy your meat from them so I'm pretty sure they would have no problem signing the letter. I got a storage unit receipt and had my meat supplier sign the letter for me.

dustyjames

• Total Posts: 3
                    Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 08/17/10 10:40 PM (permalink)
                    thanks to all for input. i have a network of former purveyors, chefs & employees putting in their two cents as well. one of my purveyors said that he knows of an elks lodge that lends out the full use of it's commissary in exchange for cooking their dinner every thursday & sunday with their product. this sounds like a bad idea but i'm not quite sure what rent for a commissary will end up being a week so i am curious. comments?

indycarver1

• Total Posts: 43
                      Re:Commissary rules and options Wed, 08/25/10 10:26 PM (permalink)
                      Couple of quick questions about commissaries.  Is it normal to be working on your prep and others are working on there prep too?  Do you have to supply your own pots, pans, and utensils?  Thanks B.

parkave1

• Total Posts: 61
                        Re:Commissary rules and options Thu, 08/26/10 10:30 AM (permalink)
                        In my state, the state regs require a mobile cart of any kind to visit a commissary and/or a service area once daily to dump and refill water tanks.  It makes no mention of cart storage, that I can find. 
                        I am licensed in 3 counties to work.  2 don't require anything about storage at a commissary or require a commissary in the county.  The third county is much more specific and requires you be at a commissary in their county, which is licensed as such.  Also, it states you can not store the cart at your home. 

Everywhere is slightly different.

mhall23919

• Total Posts: 1
                          Re:Commissary rules and options Mon, 12/16/13 8:00 PM (permalink)
                          I don't understand about commissaries to me it seems like a BIG conflict of interest to me if I have a restaurant and someone comes to me wanting to store his food that he is going to sell I would think it does not matter if I am a seafood place or Mexican place whatever if people are coming to me to eat seafood and see his hotdog cart and eat some dogs just on a whim I don't think they will come eat at my rest.so it would be taking money out of my pocket it just seems like a conflict to me

Midnights

• Total Posts: 186
                            Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 12/17/13 11:43 AM (permalink)
                            Every commissary I've ever seen (especially restaurants that act as commissaries) don't allow customers in the storage, muchless allow them to just go back and make their own food from the stock (on a whim or otherwise). That would be considered theft. I've also never seen a hot-dog cart set up to sell right outside of the restaurant that they are using as a commissary. So, with that in mind, I have absolutely no idea why having a hotdog cart somewhere in the city would really be considered a conflict of interest for a restaurant. Restaurants have to be able to function where people have other options to get sustenance. Otherwise, no restaurant would open near where there was a grocery store, gardens, roadkill, etc.

<message edited by Midnights on Tue, 12/17/13 11:53 AM>

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                              Re:Commissary rules and options Tue, 12/17/13 12:09 PM (permalink)
                              this thread is old   .... and obviously you don't understand what a commissary is; or how some B&M restaurants make a little extra money providing a service to an independent vendor.
                              Many HD Codes & Dept. (not all) require the use of a commissary for the storage, cleaning of the mobile equipment (cart, trailer, whatever) and preparation of all foods in a commercial & licensed kitchen.   

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com