Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

So... What's growing in your garden?

Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 6 of 10, messages 151 to 180 of 276
joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 07/9/11 9:25 PM (permalink)
Picked my first ripe tomato today, and trapped the woodchuck that has been eating my corn stalks.

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 07/9/11 9:57 PM (permalink)
    Was the tomato good?  And what happened to the woodchuck?

Tony Bad

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 07/9/11 10:35 PM (permalink)
      Mutant carrots or vegetables in love?

Lots of cukes and blueberries, a few zucchini...and another good crop of weeds. 

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
        Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 07/9/11 11:08 PM (permalink)
        Gardening is weird here in Florida. We grow tomato's and peppers while most of you are freezing and during the peak of the season for most it's too hot to grow much of anything here. I'm in my third year back here and still trying to get it straight.

joerogo

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 07/10/11 10:38 AM (permalink)
          baileysoriginal

Was the tomato good?  And what happened to the woodchuck?

The tomato(Jet Stars) was as sweet as candy.  Picked two more this morning.  By tomorrow the San Marzano variety should be ready for picking.  

The wood chuck?   Well, he wasn't that bright.  When he saw me coming, he ran behind some cinder blocks, with no way out.  I blocked the entrance, got a box trap, forced him in it and release him where he will be trouble free.  I think I would have slit his throat if he ate my first tomato

Tony Bad, Where do you think little vegetables come from?

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
            Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 07/10/11 2:52 PM (permalink)
            Anyone else have a bumper crop of weeds this year? More than I have ever seen! Every time it rains, I love that it's watering my garden but any weeds seem to multiply like crazy!!

joerogo

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 07/10/11 6:01 PM (permalink)
              Tony & Agnes, No need to ever weed or water the garden again.  After I put my plants in, I cover the garden up to about 3-4 inches from the plants with shredded paper from my office.  Then I continue to add grass clippings to the garden all season.  Next year, just till under what's left.

If you don't have access to shredded paper, use newspaper(no shiny circulars) and cardboard(remove any tape).  

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 07/10/11 7:04 PM (permalink)
                We covered it with paper the first year here. Last year there was not too much of a problem. Next year we will go with the paper again!! Funny thing is that we have had some wonderful cukes(taking over the garden) already and see quite a few tomatoes, white eggplants and cubano peppers.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                  Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 07/17/11 9:06 PM (permalink)
                  Tomatos in a bag that 3rdturnpeg bought off a fundraiser from a friend at work's kid.
                  Not exactly a garden, but.....     Started from seeds though! 

<message edited by sk bob on Sun, 07/17/11 9:58 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 07/17/11 11:44 PM (permalink)
                    What's growing in my garden??? NOTHING! It was 111 degrees hot out here today. Our garden season is from Jan to June and Oct to Jan ---maybe.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                      Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 06/8/12 4:26 PM (permalink)
                      I'm going to pick my first ripe tomato of the season tomorrow!!!! I bought a hybrid variety that is heat resistant. The rabbits got to them early in the growing cycle but since there were no blooms at the time, no harm done! As a matter of fact, it made them spread, a lot!!! So, I have several fruit almost ready to pick but no new blooms producing. I think that it is too hot for them to produce again til it cools at night again. FBM, I fee your pain as it is hot here too, but maybe 5-10 degrees cooler. Peppers haven't started blooming yet but the plants are very healthy nonetheless.

David O.
                      <message edited by boyardee65 on Fri, 06/8/12 5:08 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
                        Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 06/8/12 4:39 PM (permalink)
                        lleechef planted geraniums, petunias, impatiens and basil. We won't eat the first three.

There's an Italian specialty store in Columbus, Carfagna's, that has been selling the absolutely most wonderful tomatoes. I don't know where they came from, but they taste exactly as if you just picked them off the vine on a hot August day at their most perfect degree of ripeness. Sweet and delicious.

Sundancer7

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 06/8/12 5:10 PM (permalink)
                          I have already harvested several types and pounds of peppers, radish, beets, tomatoes, two bushel of garlic and cucumbers.  Corn is getting ready to tassel.  I guess this unusual harvest at this time of the year is due to the warm early season, a ton of mushroom compost, weeding every other day and lotsa water from the Tennessee River.

Growing your own stuff ain't cheap but a lot of satisfaction watching it grow and mature.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN 

joerogo

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 06/8/12 5:19 PM (permalink)
                            I expanded my garden last year and this year with raised beds.  Low maintainence and great yields.

I have been enjoying lettuce, swiss chard and chichory for several weeks now.  I took a chance and put some plants in early, and May was a wonderful month.  I expect tomatoes(Jet Star)late next week.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 06/9/12 2:21 PM (permalink)
                              Excellent, Joe! We have so many farmer markets here that I decided not to plant anything this year. But there is nothing like going out in your own backyard and picking fresh!

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3296
                                Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 06/9/12 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                I went very minimalistic this year. Just some chives, dill, oregano and parsley. Along with wild strawberries and raspberries (which I claim as mine since they're in my garden), and a ridiculous amount of daffodils, lily of the valley, hens and chicks, yellow roses, and geraniums. I wanted purple pansies, but my work schedule wouldn't allow it, and now it's pretty much too late to plant them.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                  Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Mon, 06/11/12 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                  Tomatoes, 18 plants, at least 7 kinds. Zukes and Cukes. Various peppers. Onions, Garilc Radish's. Various herbs, and last but not least trying Okra this year.  Moved mine to other side of house this year, if it does well, will expand it next year.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Tue, 06/12/12 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                    Our yard is so shady we can't grow anything anywhere except on the driveway in pots. The peppers are coming in beautifully (japalenos, sweet bananna,green bell and some kind of long curley h
                                    ot ones).We got wonderful tomatoes at the farmers' market yesterday, including purple heirlooms. With a great farmers' market, I don't need a garden! 

joerogo

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 06/28/12 7:55 PM (permalink)
                                      Break out the salt shaker.......
                                      I took a chance and put some plants down in May.  It paid off, May was as hot as Hades.  This is the earliest I ever got a tomato.

fishtaco

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 06/29/12 12:50 PM (permalink)
                                        joerogo

Break out the salt shaker.......
                                        I took a chance and put some plants down in May.  It paid off, May was as hot as Hades.  This is the earliest I ever got a tomato.

Nice! I am afraid my whole garden is just going to die. We have had no rain for almost a month. I do water but still we need rain bad. and last couple days have been over a 100 and more of that to come. Not looking good.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                          Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 06/29/12 1:50 PM (permalink)

We are also needing rain here in Versailles, KY.  I feel very sorry for the farmers.  It's just the two of us here, so we have a small garden with tomatoes, peppers, saffron, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, and that's about it.  The tomatoes will make for good canning for the Winter, as will the peppers for drying/canning.  This weather is terrible. 

joerogo

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 06/29/12 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                            fishtaco & AndreaB, besides one crop damaging thunder storm, we have been very dry also.  

I have been mulching with shredded newspaper, grass clippings, compost and wood chips as the plants were growing.  Right now there is a good 6" base of mulch which holds the moisture in.  I only watered for about two weeks after I put the plants in.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                                              Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 06/29/12 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                              mbrookes

We got wonderful tomatoes at the farmers' market yesterday, including purple heirlooms. With a great farmers' market, I don't need a garden! 

The only two things that money can't buy is True Love and Home-Grown Tomatoes!!!!

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                                                Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 07/1/12 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                                Nothing - it's too hot, I have no shade and temps are in the
                                                90's. My neighbor was giving me some of his tomatoes, and lets me pick me his rosemary when I need it.  Up til early May I had tarragon, thyme, and flat-leafed parsley which I sorely miss being able to clip when cooking.  Some of my flowering plants have evolved over a 2-3 year trial and error  period and actually do fine with the sun and heat, what a friend calls her "Darwinian" approach to gardening.

Sundancer7

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 07/1/12 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                                  We have picked several bushels of tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, squash, beets and peppers,  We are blessed with have the Tennessee River in our back yard and we lay down several thousand gallons of water each day.  It really makes the garden grown although it is tough to keep it weeded, I do.

Cucumbers and tomatoes have about completed producing.  I will be picking peaches and cream corn next Tuesday for our cookout.  I will have the water boiling before I pick it.  Mamaw has canned about 24 quarts of beets and about the same amount of relish.

After we pick the corn, we are going to strip the garden of everything except peppers and squash that is still bearing  and till it again and get ready for fall veggies.

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

fishtaco

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Tue, 07/10/12 4:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    I am afraid mine is done for the year. Zuke and Cukes are almost dead. Ocra nothing. Tomatoes. A few golf ball size, but none ripe. Peppers might make it but I doubt it. No rain to many 100 + days.

And for miles around the corn and soybeans fields are brown.

Sundancer7

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Tue, 07/10/12 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                                      Mamaw Smith and I picked 80 ears of peaches and cream corn, a bushel of a combination of sweet bell, jalapeno and hot banana peppers, a bushel of tomatoes and the last of the cucumbers.  We will be pickiing peppers till fall. We got Thai and habanero coming on strong and both are extremely hot.   We also got butternut squash that will be ready in about a couple of weeks.  I will start wrecking the garden in the next few days and till it for the fall crops of greens and other goodies.

We blanched the corn on the cob and then froze it.  We are making hot pepper relish out of the bushel of peppers.

We are blessed with the Tennessee River that borders both our properties and we irrigate daily.

Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN

joerogo

• Location: Pittston, PA
                                                        Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Tue, 07/10/12 7:05 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hey Paul, I am envious of your growing season.  I would estimate you are a full two months ahead of me.  Which = better fall crops.  Enjoy!

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3296
                                                          • Location: Near Grand Rapids, MI
                                                          Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Tue, 07/10/12 7:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          fishtaco

I am afraid mine is done for the year. Zuke and Cukes are almost dead. Ocra nothing. Tomatoes. A few golf ball size, but none ripe. Peppers might make it but I doubt it. No rain to many 100 + days.

And for miles around the corn and soybeans fields are brown.

Yup, everything here is gone also. If we're really, really lucky, the irrigated corn on area farms will come in, but it's not looking good. I don't even have weeds any more; everything is dead.

mochamike

• Total Posts: 20
                                                            Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Wed, 07/11/12 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                                            Right now:
                                                            Basil
                                                            Lemons
                                                            Cherries
                                                            Oranges
                                                            Grapefruit

But i'm hoping to add tomatoes soon!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 6 of 10, messages 151 to 180 of 276

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com