Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

So... What's growing in your garden?

Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 8 of 10, messages 211 to 240 of 276
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Wed, 03/13/13 11:16 AM (permalink)
I'm in the gathering (and steam cleaning) milk crate phase...for the very chic urban garden.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 900
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Wed, 03/13/13 12:19 PM (permalink)
    Finally back home  after Sandy.  The daffodils are coming up, even though the were under 3 feet of salt water!

CCinNJ

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Wed, 03/13/13 1:16 PM (permalink)
      Congratulations!

New Jersey = Garden State.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
        Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Wed, 03/13/13 8:49 PM (permalink)
        ChrisOC

Finally back home  after Sandy.  The daffodils are coming up, even though the were under 3 feet of salt water!

That's so nice Chris!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 03/14/13 3:56 PM (permalink)
          my poor daffodils dont know which way to go.

They came up, weather got COLD and snowed and sleeted.
          They came up again they got their little buns frozed again
          The third time the stuck their heads up we had 4 inches of snow, and then 2 days later it was back in the 50's

I have given up on Spring this year.  I may plant some containers strawberries and a vine or two of tomatoes along with a window box or three of HOT PEPPERS!

agnesrob

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 03/14/13 7:12 PM (permalink)
            I just noticed today in my garden, that the chives and parsley have tried to come up. Unfortunately it went down to below freezing last night! Oh, well, I guess they'll start again!  

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
              Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sun, 03/24/13 9:48 PM (permalink)
              Ok, radishes and garilc are up as well as the cayenne peppers. None of the herbs are up yet but I am hopeful. The weather here in AZ has been ideal for gardening. Around the mid 70's most of the week and no change in the forcast for the next 10 days. Ace Hardware just got in tomato plants so I will be planting those this weekend. I will try two varieties this year, yellow pear and grape tomatoes

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6200
                Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Mon, 03/25/13 11:59 AM (permalink)
                We have a lovely 3 inches of snow growing in our garden.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 03/28/13 12:35 PM (permalink)
                  Lisa

You could have been worse off, come this way towards Cincy and it got LOTS deeper with that last storm.

We got about 1/2" of crunchy ice pellets and they melted on contact.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 03/28/13 12:40 PM (permalink)
                    I see my daffodil shoots! Ah, spring time in Wisconsin!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 03/28/13 1:10 PM (permalink)
                      I am starting to see some beautiful yellow here and there.  I do LOVEEEEEEEEEE Daffodils. 
                      Especially the King Alfred or a Double King Alfred.  Not to fond of the white or the milk & honey (wh & yel)

I need to plant some more bulbs, my shrubs over took the bed last season and nothing came up in that bed this spring.

There is nothing like driving through the country side and seeing daffodils in the oddest of places.  You know that some time in the past someone was there.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                        Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 03/28/13 1:47 PM (permalink)
                        lleechef

We have a lovely 3 inches of snow growing in our garden.

Melting snow now fills mine!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                          Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 03/28/13 2:32 PM (permalink)
                          No snow on the ground for several weeks now. Lots of tips of things coming up and the early wildflowers have come up. Lovely sunny fresh day today!

agnesrob

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Thu, 03/28/13 8:59 PM (permalink)
                            The weather keeps toying with us here! A nice thing though, yester day I saw a purple crocus blooming by a wild rose bush next to our kitchen steps.  We've lived here for the past 6 years and I have never seen this lone crocus before. So weird but really pretty! A nice surprise!

boyardee65

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Mon, 04/8/13 12:11 AM (permalink)
                              A lovely sight indeed. Lets us know that spring is on it's way. Everhthig here is doing great. Basil and cilantro is up in the herb garden but parsley and lavender not showing yet. Radishes going gangbusters til the weather gets hot. So love this time of year as we have so much promise of the new season. Good luck to all of the home gardeners and canners this year. Good harvest to all!!!

CCinNJ

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Tue, 04/9/13 10:21 AM (permalink)
                                Enjoy the garden!

Radishes are good & quick little growers!

boyardee65

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Mon, 04/15/13 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                  We have one lone daffodil plant in the yard. Last year the dog tore it up so no blooms. This year however, we got some pretty butter yellow blooms since I kept the dog out of the front yard. Irises have already bloomed and died but roses are in full bloom!! Smells heavenly. Harvesting radishes this weekend to make room for jalapeno and tomato plants. 

David O.

morningglory

• Total Posts: 559
                                    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Mon, 04/22/13 1:09 AM (permalink)
                                    What a special Spring blessing! Greetings from a former Flemington, NJ girl!

morningglory

• Total Posts: 559
                                      Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Mon, 04/22/13 1:09 AM (permalink)
                                      What a special Spring blessing! Greetings from a former Flemington, NJ girl!

CCinNJ

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 05/10/13 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                        We're getting there. Almost time...

<message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 05/10/13 7:34 PM>

Sundancer7

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 05/10/13 8:01 PM (permalink)
                                          Annual garlic is up, sweet onions are up, beets are up and peaches and cream corn is up.  Peaches and cream is outstanding raw, grilled or broiled.  Last year we had better than 100 ears.  Getting ready to plant radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, several types of sweet pepper to extremely hot. squash, zuchinni, okra, lettuce, beans and some other goodies .

Gardens are fun but believe me they are work keeping the weeds out and almost daily irrigation during the summer.  We are fortunate as we pump from the lake with 500 sprinkler heads between Mamaw  Smith.  Some folks thinks that is cheap pumping water from the Tennessee but believe me, that 220 pump running 6-8 hours a day consumes huge amounts of electricity. Perhaps $200 a month and that makes our home grown veggies very expensive but it is worth it several ways.  Joy of harvesting (work), joy of preserving (work), joy of picking corn and preparing it for the freezer(work( yields is joy through family enjoyment.  Did I mention five kind of peppers and five kind of cucumbers making relish and drying peppers for hot pepper shakes for seasoning with jalapeno, habanero and Thai.  You gotta be careful putting them in the blender as the dust will lay you down.  Fresh tomatoes daily and fresh onions and fresh zuchinni and squash sauted.  ??Double outstanding. 
                                          Tilling the soil, killing the weeds, hoeing the garden makes me question from time to time.  Lets just go to the grocery store but the joy of the harvest can never be beat..

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3289
                                            Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Fri, 05/10/13 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                            Spring flowers are in full bloom...daffodils, crocus, and hyacinth and going crazy. I've got a few trilliums, the vinca vine has a few blooms, and the lily of the valley should be blooming in a couple of days. My chives are about four inches long, and I'm seeing dill sprouts.

It's still a bit early to plant vegetables, but I have plans for a couple of weeks from now which involve zucchini and summer squash, maybe eggplant and radishes. It depends on how hard it is to reclaim what used to be the garden from what is now the yard.

RKB

• Total Posts: 167
                                              Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 05/11/13 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                              My asparagus is coming in like crazy, I'm picking 1-2 lbs a day from only 10 plants. I started the bed 15 years ago and it is still going strong. the difference in flavor between store-bought imports and homegrown has to be tasted to be believed.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 05/11/13 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                                Sundancer7

Annual garlic is up, sweet onions are up, beets are up and peaches and cream corn is up.  Peaches and cream is outstanding raw, grilled or broiled.  Last year we had better than 100 ears.  Getting ready to plant radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, several types of sweet pepper to extremely hot. squash, zuchinni, okra, lettuce, beans and some other goodies .

Gardens are fun but believe me they are work keeping the weeds out and almost daily irrigation during the summer.  We are fortunate as we pump from the lake with 500 sprinkler heads between Mamaw  Smith.  Some folks thinks that is cheap pumping water from the Tennessee but believe me, that 220 pump running 6-8 hours a day consumes huge amounts of electricity. Perhaps $200 a month and that makes our home grown veggies very expensive but it is worth it several ways.  Joy of harvesting (work), joy of preserving (work), joy of picking corn and preparing it for the freezer(work( yields is joy through family enjoyment.  Did I mention five kind of peppers and five kind of cucumbers making relish and drying peppers for hot pepper shakes for seasoning with jalapeno, habanero and Thai.  You gotta be careful putting them in the blender as the dust will lay you down.  Fresh tomatoes daily and fresh onions and fresh zuchinni and squash sauted.  ??Double outstanding. 
                                                Tilling the soil, killing the weeds, hoeing the garden makes me question from time to time.  Lets just go to the grocery store but the joy of the harvest can never be beat..

Paul E. Smith
                                                Knoxville, TN

Paul, I have seen photos of your garden and the end results and it is very impressive!!

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1269
                                                  Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Sat, 05/11/13 12:10 PM (permalink)
                                                  Wow, CC - beautiful!!!  What kind of grapes?

fishtaco

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Mon, 05/13/13 12:54 PM (permalink)
                                                    Here in West Central Indiana we still have Jack Frost nipping at our nose, yesterday and this AM. My tomato plants that I bought Saturday are still setting just inside my front door.

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
                                                      • Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
                                                      Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Mon, 05/13/13 4:02 PM (permalink)
                                                      I am getting ready for the first cuttings from our rhubarb patch in our garden in the next week or two. I can't wait to bake a rhubarb pie!

CCinNJ

Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Tue, 05/14/13 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                                        Vidal Blanc wine grapes. They'll be lush & lovely in a few weeks. Good progress every day...

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6091
                                                          • Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                          Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Tue, 05/14/13 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                                          We got a frost last night, glad we haven't planted anything yet!

fishtaco

• Location: Roachdale, IN
                                                            Re:So... What's growing in your garden? Wed, 05/15/13 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                                            Well. wait a couple days and no more frost. In the 80's the rest of the week. Tomatoes going in the ground tomorrow.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 8 of 10, messages 211 to 240 of 276

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com