The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Minuteman Hamburger's

elmerfudd

• Total Posts: 3
Minuteman Hamburger's Sat, 01/17/04 2:08 PM (permalink)
OK, here is one far you old people (like me) from the South. In the seventies there was a hamburger chain named "Minuteman" in Arkansas and parts of Tennessee. Their logo was a sign with a 1776 Minuteman holding a musket. They had excellent flamed burgers, french fries and Diary Queen stilled ice-cream. Does anyone have any information about them?

tennthomas

• Total Posts: 19
    RE: Minuteman Hamburger's Sun, 03/7/04 7:52 PM (permalink)
    I've searched high and low on the 'Net and really haven't found anything regarding Minuteman. However, I remember eating there as a little kid many, many times because it was only about a mile from my home in Memphis. It was located at Summer Avenue and Wells Station. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the bright silver wrappers they used for their burgers. Man, I wish that place was still around! After Minuteman closed, the building was painted the ugliest green that you've ever seen when it was turned into a Maytag service center. Since then, the building has been razed and, you guessed it, another chain now sits on that hallowed site - Taco Bell. Oh well, thanks for bringin up some fond memories from my childhood.

chlehew

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Minuteman Hamburger's Thu, 04/1/04 10:30 AM (permalink)
      Minuteman still exists. At least in El Dorado, Arkansas. I understand that there is one in Little Rock too. They have the best burgers still cooked over a charcoal grill. And their burrito deluxe is to die for. The Minuteman in El Dorado is located on West Main Street near the KTVE television station, just off of North West Avenue. I don't know the exact address. Also, they are NOT open on Saturday or Sunday. Enjoy!

elmerfudd

• Total Posts: 3
        RE: Minuteman Hamburger's Fri, 04/2/04 4:57 PM (permalink)
        Thanks chlehew, I will have to take a trip to El Dorado one of these days. Even if it is on the other end of the state from me.

Texzilla

• Total Posts: 5
          RE: Minuteman Hamburger's Sun, 03/15/09 11:07 AM (permalink)
          I grew up in Little Rock and Wes Hall's MinuteMan was the best cheeseburger in town. They were cooked over charcoal, and they had a chiliburger that I have yet to find anything close to 40 years later.  A fantastic little business, that like many small chains back then fell victim to overexpansion.  When I moved to Memphis in 71 the collapse was evident; the place was nothing like the company stores in Arkansas.

MiamiDon

RE: Minuteman Hamburger's Sun, 03/15/09 2:45 PM (permalink)
            I found this photo of the El Dorado location:

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
              RE: Minuteman Hamburger's Mon, 03/16/09 3:24 AM (permalink)
               We used to go to the one in Jacksonville AR. I remember them using grated cheddar on their burgers. I think they had a Frito Pie too. This was in the early 70's.

tennthomas

• Total Posts: 19
                Re:Minuteman Hamburger's Wed, 04/22/09 7:01 PM (permalink)
                I recently learned that the Minute Man location in Memphis was previously a Red Barn.  Does anyone know if Minute Man took over other Red Barn locations in TN and AR?

Thanks!

teemo

• Total Posts: 4
                  Re:Minuteman Hamburger's Fri, 03/12/10 1:22 PM (permalink)
                  I just found this thread through Google.
                  My parents opened the Minute Man in Hot Springs, Ark., in 1967 and it was closed in the mid-1970s.
                  Menu:
                  #1 Thousand Island-type spread with onion.
                  #2 Hickory Smoke Sauce (add cheese or onion to make it the best)
                  #3 Old-Fashioned with mustard, Pickle and Onion.
                  #4 Old-Fashioned cheeseburger  . . . #3 add grated Cheddar Cheese.
                  #5 Chili, Cheese and Onion
                  #6 Salad Burger #1 sauce, Lettuce & Tomato.
                  #7 Ham Sandwich with same dressings as #6
                  #8 Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with same dressinngs as #6.
                  #9 Western Omelette Sandwich with same dressings as #6.
                  #10 Steak Sandwich Mayo, Lettuce and Tomato.
                  #11 Fish Sandwich with Tarter Sauce and catsup.
                  #12 Big M Two Patties with American Cheese slice in middle . . . #1 sauce, pickle, onion, tomato.

The apple, peach, strawberry and cherry deep dish pies heated in the original Radar Ranges were to die for. The Radar Range had the filling bubbling and hard refrigerated butter melted within 15 seconds!

Texzilla

• Total Posts: 5
                    Re:Minuteman Hamburger's Sat, 02/19/11 10:49 PM (permalink)
                    Thanks for the menu. I remember each one as we ate minuteman at least once if not two or three times a week. My parents always got either the four or five. I usually got the big m, but tried them all. The western omelet sandwich was unique and very tasty.
                    The radarrange pies were fantastic, with real pie pastry and a chunk of real butter. The filling was like napalm.

dshecht

Re:Minuteman Hamburger's Mon, 08/27/12 11:10 AM (permalink)
                      I enjoyed Wes Hall's Minuiteman in Little Rock back in the early '60s. It was located on the North side of University, West of Markham. Best hamburger in town and the deep dish hot apple pie was fantastic.

lisalisa58

Re:Minuteman Hamburger's Wed, 12/5/12 2:50 PM (permalink)
                        My father purchased the Minute Man franchise from Wes Hall in the mid 80's.  Unfortunately, we had to close the doors to our last location on 4th and Broadway in downtown Little Rock since the building's roof needed more repair than the leaser was willing to cover.  Yes, there is still a Minute Man located in El Dorado, Arkansas owned and operated by one of our former franchisees.  She still has the same recipes and menus as always.  Good news for anyone who happens to stumble upon this thread:  we have an interested party that wants to open and new Minute Man in Little Rock and grow from there!  For those of you, just like myself, you miss the original #2 with cheese....stay tuned! 

P.S.  When I was living in Hawaii for a period of time, my mother visited me several times and had to bring an ice chest cooler filled with jars of the hickory smoke sauce to me!  What a treat that was.

P.S.S.  The closest I have been able to find for a similar taste of the original Minute Man is from Black Angus which re-opened on Rodney Parham in west Little Rock.  Not quite the same but helps with the cravings from time to time!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com