The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Slaw dogs

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42
myway

• Total Posts: 308
Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 6:11 PM (permalink)
Hi everyone,

Well my wife informs me that the demand for sauerkraut on our hot dogs is not great enough to justify the effort.  She has sold very few of them. However she states that many people have asked about slaw dogs. We are currently using Nathan's 8-1 hot dogs (we initially statrted with Koegels, but thats another thread), we offer grilled peppers ad onions, ketchup , mustard , relish. We do not have a coney sauce or anything, my wife believes sauce "Cheapens" a good tasting quality hot dog. So I guess I am going to chck into the slaw dog thing. Any suggestions? I was once told that a slaw dog is a coney sauce w/ slaw on top of it, being that we do not have a sauce this could ne problematic. How about a good slaw on the hot dog w/o sauce, would that be acceptable?
thanks

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
    Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 6:37 PM (permalink)
    Nathans doesn't have a problem selling a Coney Island Dog, and I think they may have sold a few more dogs than you wife has. You will see slaw dogs offered many ways, I like the idea of chili with the cooling affect of the slaw. You will see Curb come on and give you his world famous mustard slaw dog spiel...............BillyB

parkave1

• Total Posts: 61
      Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 6:48 PM (permalink)
      You can do a slaw dog with bbq sauce.  I have had them both ways. On the kraut, try Sam's Club in the front cafe.  You can get a case of kraut singles that run about .17 cents per.  That way you only open what you will use.  I generally like to warm mine by griddling it to order, maybe with a toss of onions...very nice... but many folks around here are fine to eat it cold on the dog if you don't have a griddle.

I do have a question, what is the rationale in thinking that a good chili/coney style sauce cheapens a dog, but somehow slaw makes it better?  Chili sauce in that respect is like any other topping...and very popular, especially around here.  I recommend offering the sauce and letting your customers decide themselves what makes a hot dog good or bad. 

Also, learn to make your own sauce.  A lot of that canned crap does cheapen a good dog.  It is like alpo.  My sauce is the bomb and chili dogs are the 2nd best selling hot dog on my cart behind the Chicago Style.  Take a spin down I-69 to Exit 10 and we are in that mall right there on SR 238.  I will treat you and your wife to a great chili sauce that truly compliments the meat of the dogs I sell.

Good luck! 

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
        Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 7:01 PM (permalink)
        BillyB

You will see Curb come on and give you his world famous mustard slaw dog spiel...............BillyB

BillyB  only let people know we have it in our area.
        Myway  there are slaw dogs and there Chili Slaw dogs( West Virginia Dogs).
        Slaws are different in different parts of the country. You mean Cole slaw right.

flhotdogger

• Total Posts: 112
          Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 7:57 PM (permalink)
          A dog with mustard, finely diced onions and a creamy cole slaw is very tasty. I read in another thread where you have a flat top. Spritz each side of the bun with butter spray and toast it on the griddle, freakin' awesome!!
          <message edited by flhotdogger on Sun, 07/4/10 8:01 PM>

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
            Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 8:15 PM (permalink)
            myway
            ...We do not have a coney sauce or anything, my wife believes sauce "Cheapens" a good tasting quality hot dog...

I sure am glad that your wife is looking out for your customers and knows what they want on a dog better than they do.  Is she from California? It seems to me that California and their residents know how everyone else in the country should live and eat.

Major Weiner

• Total Posts: 24
              Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 8:40 PM (permalink)
              lornaschinke,

Don't you think that comment is uncalled fore? I mean really! That was just rude. Would like him commenting about your family?

Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
                Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 10:03 PM (permalink)
                There are no food laws pertaining to Slaw wit or witout meat sauce.  Some people like hot dogs with baked beans and slaw.

I like hot dogs either way.

There are different types of meat sauces for different types of dogs.  Putting an all beef chili sauce on an all beef dog doesn't really do much.  For an all beef dog you want to add ingredients like cinnamon, turmeric, celery seed and onion.  Such spices mix well with beef and are picked up by the tongue at different times while chewing.  Cole slaw provides a cool, sweet taste before biting down into the warm sauce and finally breaking through the hot natural casing.

TrentonDog

• Total Posts: 736
                  Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 10:18 PM (permalink)
                  Major Weiner

lornaschinke,

Don't you think that comment is uncalled fore? I mean really! That was just rude. Would like him commenting about your family?

I dunno, thought it was kind of funny - and true. Maybe a li'l harsh, but we're all professionals here.

Major Weiner

• Total Posts: 24
                    Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 10:25 PM (permalink)
                    I thought it was funny too! I was just trying to nice. It amazes me what kind of influence women have on our lives.

Matt Gleason

Re:Slaw dogs Sun, 07/4/10 10:34 PM (permalink)
                      "Let them eat slaw"

myway

• Total Posts: 308
                        Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 12:17 AM (permalink)
                        Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Well it is hard to find a sauce that goes with a good quality beef dog. You see around our neck of the woods, almost every vendor, diner, resturant, buys the cheapest dogs that they can get. Most of them are cheap mixed meat varieties They are not qualtiy at all, let lone good taste. Most of these folks come up with some type of sauce to cover up their lack of a good dog. We are trying to break out beyond that. There are a couple of places that are starting to carry all beef dogs now. I think things are starting to change a little. Finding a good sauce is not easy. Dairy Queen, They have a great all beef hot dog, but their sauce is a little to strong for my taste.
                           There is also the simplicity factor as well. So I was just curious if anyone thought that a good sweet coleslaw on a good Nathans dog would qualify as a "slaw dog". Thanks

DadsDogs

• Total Posts: 629
                          Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 2:36 AM (permalink)
                          Hot Dog King

There are no food laws pertaining to Slaw wit or witout meat sauce.  Some people like hot dogs with baked beans and slaw.

I like hot dogs either way.

There are different types of meat sauces for different types of dogs.  Putting an all beef chili sauce on an all beef dog doesn't really do much.  For an all beef dog you want to add ingredients like cinnamon, turmeric, celery seed and onion.  Such spices mix well with beef and are picked up by the tongue at different times while chewing.  Cole slaw provides a cool, sweet taste before biting down into the warm sauce and finally breaking through the hot natural casing.

Gee thanks for that vision HDK, now I have to make a late night "kitchen run".     DD

franksrocks

• Total Posts: 255
                            Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 3:22 AM (permalink)
                            parkave1

You can do a slaw dog with bbq sauce.  I have had them both ways. On the kraut, try Sam's Club in the front cafe.  You can get a case of kraut singles that run about .17 cents per.  That way you only open what you will use.  I generally like to warm mine by griddling it to order, maybe with a toss of onions...very nice... but many folks around here are fine to eat it cold on the dog if you don't have a griddle.

I do have a question, what is the rationale in thinking that a good chili/coney style sauce cheapens a dog, but somehow slaw makes it better?  Chili sauce in that respect is like any other topping...and very popular, especially around here.  I recommend offering the sauce and letting your customers decide themselves what makes a hot dog good or bad. 

Also, learn to make your own sauce.  A lot of that canned crap does cheapen a good dog.  It is like alpo.  My sauce is the bomb and chili dogs are the 2nd best selling hot dog on my cart behind the Chicago Style.  Take a spin down I-69 to Exit 10 and we are in that mall right there on SR 238.  I will treat you and your wife to a great chili sauce that truly compliments the meat of the dogs I sell.

Good luck! 

I use those packets of kraut.....because they say "Frank's" on them.  :)

flhotdogger

• Total Posts: 112
                              Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 7:59 AM (permalink)
                              I understand the cheaper places trying to use a sauce to cover up their choice of a crappy dog, it's because their dogs have no flavor to begin with. A quality flavorful dog can really be enhanced with a quality flavorful sauce. Customers want to sense different flavors as they eat something, as we tell customers, "it's a party on your tongue". The fact that your competitors offer lousy chili dogs is actually a blessing for you. Make the best darn chili dog in town and word will spread that YOU are the go to cart for chili dogs.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 8:01 AM (permalink)
                                myway

Hi everyone,

Well my wife informs me that the demand for sauerkraut on our hot dogs is not great enough to justify the effort.  She has sold very few of them. However she states that many people have asked about slaw dogs. We are currently using Nathan's 8-1 hot dogs (we initially statrted with Koegels, but thats another thread), we offer grilled peppers ad onions, ketchup , mustard , relish. We do not have a coney sauce or anything, my wife believes sauce "Cheapens" a good tasting quality hot dog. So I guess I am going to chck into the slaw dog thing. Any suggestions? I was once told that a slaw dog is a coney sauce w/ slaw on top of it, being that we do not have a sauce this could ne problematic. How about a good slaw on the hot dog w/o sauce, would that be acceptable?
                                thanks

Curious as to why you stopped using Koegels. Not sure about the no sauce thing. If you look around the country good quality Hot Dogs are being topped with regional stuff. Like: Chicago Dogs, Detroit Coneys, Arizona Sonora Dogs, Texas Red Sauce, West Virginia Slaw Dogs, .... We could go on and on. I think you need to rethink the no sauce thing....Russ

Curbside Grill

Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                  myway

Finding a good sauce is not easy. Dairy Queen, They have a great all beef hot dog, but their sauce is a little to strong for my taste. 
                                    There is also the simplicity factor as well. So I was just curious if anyone thought that a good sweet coleslaw on a good Nathans dog would qualify as a "slaw dog". Thanks

DQ uses the same dog as I did, now what you call their sauce is a chili. There are so many variations, thin sauce to thick and spicy to mild. A good chili in your area, good dog and a good slaw
                                  would be over the top. Do not make a to creamy slaw, runny slaw on a dog is a turn off. Bun, dog, Brn. Mustard, chili, slaw and onions. I will take 6. LOL
                                  No really Slaw dogs are big here. But the slaw is spicy and complements the dog or BBQ. It is not a slaw you put on a plate as sidedish like cole slaw.

BillyB

Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 8:22 AM (permalink)
                                        this is a "Detroit coney Island dog" Give me Cheap any day of the week, I'll take it, extra onions please...............I hired a Chef friday and the first thing I told him was, our menu is designed to meet the needs and wants of our customers. I design a menu and then retool it to fit the requests and needs of my customers, the menu is never what I want.
                                      The thing I like about offering Chili is, it opens the menu to a few different items, in your case you could offer a, Chilidog, Chili Cheese dog, Chili slaw dog.............Billyb

Curbside Grill

Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 8:32 AM (permalink)

BillyB  when where you at my cart. Where you the one that laughed when I handed them a 'Spork' and 5 Napkins. LOL

I never did a branded dog, but the condiments where over the top. More people can afford. I sold Dogs and Sausages.
                                      Thats it. Think of it as a Good Bleu Cheese sauce on a Great Steak. Or Sauteed mushrooms too.
                                      Maybe I'm different but I always listened to my Customers. They told me what they wanted.
                                      <message edited by Curbside Grill on Mon, 07/5/10 8:45 AM>

BillyB

Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                        Curbside Grill

BillyB  when where you at my cart. Where you the one that laughed when I handed them a 'Spork' and 5 Napkins. LOL

I was the guy that ordered the mustard slaw dog, and ran away without paying, I tripped and fell on my spork......Billyb

Curbside Grill

Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 8:50 AM (permalink)
                                          BillyB

Curbside Grill

I was the guy that ordered the mustard slaw dog, and ran away without paying, I tripped and fell on my spork......Billyb

So you are the one LOL   
                                          20 slaw dogs with onions.

<message edited by Curbside Grill on Mon, 07/5/10 9:13 AM>

MikeinRI

• Total Posts: 1127
                                            Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                            Curbside Grill

Maybe I'm different but I always listened to my Customers. They told me what they wanted.

Worth repeating.

Matt Gleason

Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 10:03 AM (permalink)
                                              I know many people swear by their brand of CANNED sauce, I prefer to make my own and many well established places make their own too.

Bottom line, it's your cart and your area... try the slaw and see how it goes.

TrentonDog

• Total Posts: 736
                                                Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 11:22 AM (permalink)
                                                Hot Dog King

I know many people swear by their brand of CANNED sauce, I prefer to make my own and many well established places make their own too.

Bottom line, it's your cart and your area... try the slaw and see how it goes.

Health dept. regulations prevent me from preparing my own sauce, so my chili and cheese comes out of a #10 can. (Chef Mate) I add a few things to the chili, but leave the cheese alone. If people wanted slaw as a topping, I'd have to buy a commercially made slaw.

Around here, Chili and Cheese are by far the most popular. I thought sauerkraut was going to be big, but now I only have the kraut single packs for the few that request it rather than open and waste a large bag.

DelaDog

• Total Posts: 3
                                                  Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                                  myway

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Well it is hard to find a sauce that goes with a good quality beef dog. You see around our neck of the woods, almost every vendor, diner, resturant, buys the cheapest dogs that they can get. Most of them are cheap mixed meat varieties They are not qualtiy at all, let lone good taste. Most of these folks come up with some type of sauce to cover up their lack of a good dog. We are trying to break out beyond that. There are a couple of places that are starting to carry all beef dogs now. I think things are starting to change a little. Finding a good sauce is not easy. Dairy Queen, They have a great all beef hot dog, but their sauce is a little to strong for my taste.

Try adding a little spice to it and differenciate.  I am taste testing right now and on of my biggiest fans is someone who can't stand anything spicy.  Also with today's fast pace world the more lively or spicy the food the better.  This may be the reason why Mexican restauranst have grown so much within the last decade.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                                                    • Location: Roswell, NM until we leave for another place
                                                    Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 11:36 AM (permalink)
                                                    Major Weiner

lornaschinke,

I did not mean to insult the wife but she is insulting every customer they have (or don't have) who would like to have chili on their dog. I know that I would not make a second trip to their cart if I was informed that I could not have chili if I wanted it and always had chili on my dog. And I probably wouldn't place an order in the first place as far as that goes (I'm unreasonable and bitchy like that I guess).  After all she is saying that she knows what they should eat better than they do. I think it is presumptuous for someone who is selling food to a person to tell that person how to eat it. I remember hearing about a restaurant in Stuart FL (we used to live there) that had a cook (chef) actually remove a plate of food from in front of a customer because they put catchup on their steak.  Needless to say we never ate at that restaurant, nor did many others.  The cook (chef) was eventually fired and the restaurant closed... too much bad publicity (it became a joke around town).

We let our CUSTOMERS choose what is on their dog, sausages and BBQ sandwiches.  If asked we will make a suggestion (like with our new smoked chicken sausages) but we don't say... No you can't have that because we think it "cheapens" the dog, etc. Personally, I think that putting chili, sauerkraut, sweet relish, dill pickle chips, onions, and cheese is a bit much for a BBQ sandwich (and we don't charge extra for all those toppings) but we have folks who love their BBQ that way.It's their stomachs and their taste buds.  We even have a guy who will only eat his dogs "naked"... buys two of them (sometimes more) every day. He says if the dog is good, you don't need extra stuff.  But that is him and he is right.  We have others who consistently want every condiment/topping we have on the hot dog, every time they order.  Good for them.  They are right to do so. 

Your chili sauce should compliment the dog not overwhelm it. Chili is a condiment.  Condiments are meant to compliment the food is is served on/with not overpower it. Perhaps your wife has only had overpowering chili.  You have to match your dog with your chili. Now we do not offer Green or Red Chili that is plopped on everything here... but I am allergic to many kinds of peppers (I don't feel like tossing my cookies all day long) and we don't have an room left on our cold table for more condiments.

Tasty Dogs

• Total Posts: 394
                                                      • Location: Blue Springs, MO
                                                      Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 11:40 AM (permalink)
                                                      I have a bunch of those Franks Kraut packets. If I kept a couple in my steam pan, would that work? And is it cheesy to charge extra for kraut? I'd rather say I don't carry it than add that much cost to a dog. Am adding two 1/6 pans for nacho cheese and chili, so don't have room for bulk kraut. Also, What is the best cheese and chili to buy at Sam's or Costco? I'm a little off the slaw question, but this is close.

Jerry
                                                      Tasty Dogs

BillyB

Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        You could buy a #10 can of Kraut for $5 or $6, or a small jar for $1.50. why not keep a small tupperware container of Kraut in your ice chest. When you have  a request, put a portion of kraut in a 1qt ziplock bag and put it in your hot dog cooking water, it will only take a minute to heat. This will be a more cost effective way to offer this condiment......BillyB
                                                        <message edited by BillyB on Mon, 07/5/10 12:09 PM>

Curbside Grill

• Location: Lawrenceburg, TN
                                                          Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                                          Give me a dog with sweet potato mustard and Bleu cheese slaw any day.

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                                                            • Location: Burlington, NC
                                                            Re:Slaw dogs Mon, 07/5/10 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                                            Hot Dog consumer here! Tastes differ around the country, but I like just about any hot dog from anywhere as long as the dog is good quality, the bun is fresh and soft, and the toppings offered have at least a couple of items that I like.

In my area of the South, we don't call them "slaw" dogs - you can have a dog with just mustard and slaw, or you can have a dog "all the way" (mustard, chili, slaw, and onions) or "ATW - hold the onions" or other configurations, but you usually don't see a "slaw dog" on the menu. It is considered one of the condiments. And we don't have coney sauce, we have chili sauce that goes on our hot dogs.

If you do get slaw to offer, try to find a brand that is as simple as possible, slaw, mayo, vinegar, salt, pepper and maybe some sugar. But not a really sweet slaw and not too watery. A sickly sweet slaw that soaks the bun and causes the whole thing to fall apart is bad, bad, bad. Just some views from a consumer - who is not satisfied with the dogs for sell in her town so she makes her own slaw and chili!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com